Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 AM
aaroncmh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil Hoss
I hope this thread is still alive..........
My WM Petie should be here today.
Just a quick question to anyone that powered theirs with a DLE 20.
Will the stock muffler fit inside the cowl without cutting the cowl??
Or do I need to buy a Pitts style muffler?

Thanks guys

Hoss
You would have to cut for the stock muffler. I don't think it looks bad but I suppose it depends on the person.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by aaroncmh
You would have to cut for the stock muffler. I don't think it looks bad but I suppose it depends on the person.
Thanks for replying.......
I really want to keep it clean. I think I will check into a pitts muffler.
But.......... THANKS

Hoss
Old 10-18-2013, 02:45 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil Hoss
I hope this thread is still alive..........
My WM Petie should be here today.
Just a quick question to anyone that powered theirs with a DLE 20.
Will the stock muffler fit inside the cowl without cutting the cowl??
Or do I need to buy a Pitts style muffler?

Thanks guys

Hoss
I looked at this and I believe you could use the stock muffler but you would need to tilt the engine at just the right angle to clear the cowl. Most people will just buy the inverted pitts muffler though. I am going to be putting a new WM Petie together this spring after I recover from my radiation treatments I am now getting.

Ed
Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 AM
Lil Hoss

Originally Posted by rc34074
I looked at this and I believe you could use the stock muffler but you would need to tilt the engine at just the right angle to clear the cowl. Most people will just buy the inverted pitts muffler though. I am going to be putting a new WM Petie together this spring after I recover from my radiation treatments I am now getting.

Ed
Thanks Ed
By tilting the motor the exhaust would be on a angle though the bottom of the cowl. I don't think that will look too good.
I think I will just buy a Pitts......
Good luck with your radiation treatments too. I have friends that are going through that now.

Hoss
Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed
You can't use the stock muffler unless you cut the cowl significantly. I tried every way possible to avoid paying Jtec $80 for a muffler but in the end I had to bite that bullet.

I'd like to hear a report about the rear exhaust DA-20RA on one of these planes. Anyone planning to do that?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 AM
qd25

Hi I'm just about to build one with the DA-20RA I will post some pictures in the next few days
Cheers
Old 01-06-2014, 04:09 PM
aaroncmh

Did anyone get out there and fly today? It was a balmy -7 here in Ohio most of the day so I only got in 3-4 flights.

Really tho I can't wait to get her up again seeing as my flaps only had about 15mm of deflection…what a dipshizz. Maybe now with 40 she'll finally "float in like a trainer" like everyone promised. Ha, ha
I've managed to land her somewhat safely up to this point but none were perfect. Nose overs and gear bending backward mainly.

Anyway, stay warm bros...
Old 01-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Lil Hoss

I wish it was that warm here today.....
Just south of Milwaukee it was -16 with windchill of -37
So you REALLY had it warm today...

Hoss
Old 01-06-2014, 04:52 PM
aaroncmh

Yeah man that wind just cuts like a knife…it's howling here too. The horses have ice on their whiskers. They have a run in shed and some heat tho…plus these jacket things...my wife treats them better than me. Ha, ha
Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 PM
aaroncmh

Originally Posted by qd25
Hi I'm just about to build one with the DA-20RA I will post some pictures in the next few days
Cheers
Making any progress?
Old 03-15-2014, 04:19 PM
tupeloflyer

Mine will be here any day now!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:32 PM
tupeloflyer

It was on the doorstep today! Got it unboxed and it was in good shape, covering was in excellent condition! no wrinkles at all I could see. I really like the new updated version with the addition of wing root farings! hope its an improvement! it sure looks cool! supposed to create less drag? I have everything to complete my build, just got to find time to get started.

Last edited by tupeloflyer; 03-17-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:18 PM
tupeloflyer

Nowhere in the instructions does it mention how to apply Decals? Do you just cut them out, remove backing and apply? Do you spray water first?
What's the procedure?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM
aaroncmh

Cut 'em out with scissors, peel backing and stick 'em on.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 AM
Billville

Making any progress?
I'm so jealous of anyone with this plane - I miss mine.

You are going to love it. WM Petie's are the Cadillac of Sport Mustangs. They are not high wing loaded like the other scale 51's.

They go right where you point 'em. Just make sure you are not under powered and you will love it. I ran a YS 110 with a straight pipe and it was perfect.

I was in severe pain the day I stuffed it. I shouldn't have been flying that day.

Bill

Last edited by Billville; 03-31-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Ricksta_61

Hello all,
I got interested in this thread as i had recently purchased one of these planes, i am very pleased with this plane and WM has made some improvements such as wing fillets , improved covering/finish. I didnt go with the petie 2nd theme , just done it up as a typical blue nose . I am running a ASP 91 FS with on board glow, i also installed two retract servos, one for each retract as it is much less troublesome and i cut the belly scoop in two and mounted one section to the wing and the other half to the fuse. the plane flys on rails , good plane for the money....
Cheers
Ricksta

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p51.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	2083085   Click image for larger version

Name:	p51 2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	2083086  
Old 05-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Falcon_az
My Feedback: (25)

Bought a 'Blue Nose' at a swap meet a couple years ago. Got the itch... and I'm putting it together.
I've got a Saito 72 going in it.
I plan on using standard servos all the way around. Lots of guys are talking about hvy duty servos for the gear... I want to see what std servo will do.
Heard metal gear on the tail/rudder is a good idea. I think the plane is light enough... std servo should do it.

Picked up on good tips:
Epoxy landing gear mount area.
Epoxy firewall.
Pad fuel tank (reduce fuel foaming problem).
1/8" shim on back of gear block (move wheels slightly forward to reduce nose overs)

Factory covering... leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by Falcon_az; 05-22-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:02 PM
tupeloflyer

I hope the Saito 72 is a 2 stroke and not a 4. And yes standard size servos are fine. Metal gear on rudder isn't really necessary. Excellent flying plane! Enjoy.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:16 PM
qd25

Hi Guys.
I flew mine a couple of weekends ago and it's a fantastic plane. I originally was planning on putting a DLE 20RA but ended up with an Electric conversion running Scorpion SII4035 380Kv on 8s 6200Mah 30c lipos Xoar PJME-14 x 10 prop
I'm getting a good 7 minutes flights
I will take some video next time I'm out
Cheers
Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Falcon_az
My Feedback: (25)

The Saito 72 is a 4 stroke.
I recently took it out of a 7 pound airplane. The engine was much more powerful than required for a 7 pound airplane - I think it'll be perfect for an 8 - 9 pound airplane.
The engine running is just over 17 oz.... about 3 oz saving over a 91 or 100 Saito.
I'll report back after flight testing.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:22 AM
aaroncmh

Is anyone still flying their Petie? My DLE 20 quit starting a coupla years ago but I got her fired up yesterday. I'm hoping to get the 'ol Petie in the air today...supposed to be 42 and sunny in Ohio.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:36 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is anyone still flying their Petie? My DLE 20 quit starting a coupla years ago but I got her fired up yesterday. I'm hoping to get the 'ol Petie in the air today...supposed to be 42 and sunny in Ohio.
The expiration date come up on mine last summer during a cross wind landing.

Earlier that year my DLE 20 blew up during a high speed run down the middle of the runway about 10ft off the ground. The engine went suddenly silent and I could here the prop continue to spin for about a second as it made a zzzzziiiippppppp sound. Since the plane was going about 100mph (It had been previously clocked at 113mph a few days before), I pulled it almost vertical until it was about to stop and then leveled it out. Popped the gear/flaps and it floated in like a normal landing. Everyone behind me cheered and I laid down on the ground for a good 5 minutes to catch my breath. When I took the cowl off, parts of the rod, crank and crankcase fell out on the table. It had snapped a crank pin and chunked everything out the bottom of the motor. That motor was a bit over a year old and never saw anything below WOT when in flight, except to land it. Tower gave me a new one but it was down almost 1000RPM over the well worn old one. Sucked the life right out of that plane. I want another one.....
Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 PM
aaroncmh

Originally Posted by SpinnerRow
The expiration date come up on mine last summer during a cross wind landing.

Earlier that year my DLE 20 blew up during a high speed run down the middle of the runway about 10ft off the ground. The engine went suddenly silent and I could here the prop continue to spin for about a second as it made a zzzzziiiippppppp sound. Since the plane was going about 100mph (It had been previously clocked at 113mph a few days before), I pulled it almost vertical until it was about to stop and then leveled it out. Popped the gear/flaps and it floated in like a normal landing. Everyone behind me cheered and I laid down on the ground for a good 5 minutes to catch my breath. When I took the cowl off, parts of the rod, crank and crankcase fell out on the table. It had snapped a crank pin and chunked everything out the bottom of the motor. That motor was a bit over a year old and never saw anything below WOT when in flight, except to land it. Tower gave me a new one but it was down almost 1000RPM over the well worn old one. Sucked the life right out of that plane. I want another one.....
Sorry to hear that buddy...at least you got some good use out of her. So they quit making her? Oh well plenty of places to stick that DLE 20.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:03 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this plane is still sold in the US the main source is airborne models. price is $289 today, now comes with electric retracts- dont know how good these retracts are but the plane is as good as ever.

Ed
Old 02-09-2017, 12:05 PM
aaroncmh

this plane is still sold in the US the main source is airborne models. price is $289 today, now comes with electric retracts- dont know how good these retracts are but the plane is as good as ever.

Ed
http://www.theworldmodels.com/store/...ctric-Retracts

Yes she looks great...retracts are cool. Do you have one?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.