Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Giant P-47 Top Flite Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Giant P-47 Top Flite Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 02:18 PM
JimA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant P-47 Top Flite Kit

Hello,

I am about to start building my first Giant Kit.

Does anyone have any experiences with the Top Flite giant P-47?

I am trying to decide on what engine to use. I think the Zenoah G-62 may be the one I choose but I would like to hear from someone with flight experience on this bird if possible.

Thanks and many happy landings,
Jim
Old 06-08-2002, 08:30 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top Flite

You and I are in the mionority with the Giant Top Flite P-47. Plenty of 63" Top Flite P-47s out there. Plenty of big Yellow, Byron, and Ziroli P-47's out there too. But I have yet to ever have see this kit built. Do you know that my local hobby shop has had THIS KIT ON ITS SHELF FOR A YEAR NOW!! Go figure!?(But NOBODY has anything bad to say about this kit either.)

I coudn't resist the dirt-cheap sub $200 price of this kit and bought one last week myself. Rumor about this phantom, and seldom seen built model is it's supposed to fly great with a Zenoah-62, just like the 80" yellow kit. That's what I'm planning on using too. But I'm going with the Spring Air, 3-gear set. Tower sells the Robart main gear cheap, but you save nothing over the Spring Air by the time you buy the Robart tail gear and everything else seperatley( that comes already included with the Spring Air)Bill at Spring Air is a heck of a nice guy to deal with too.
Old 06-08-2002, 10:26 PM
JimA

Default Top Flite

Hi Randall,

Thanks for your reply. I have heard the same about the kit. I did purchase a fiberglass cowl from Stan's fibertech for about $46 and it is very nice. I didn't want to put the 4 pc. cowl together. I also bought the razorback canopy.

I have already purchased the robart retracting tailwheel however. I noticed towerhobbies has the robart gear for $169 though.

Let me know how the Spring Air work. I have a pair for a smaller plane that I am using for the first time.....still need to intall them though and try them out.

Jim
Old 06-09-2002, 09:03 PM
rustyrivet

Default Giant P-47

Jim,

The advantage of using Robarts, is that Robarts is what this kit was designed for and you get the step by step detailed instructions both in the kit manual and on the Top FliteWeb Site precisely how to install them. I'm also new to giant warbirds with retracts, and so find this asset an invaluable offering. If I already ordered the tail wheel as you have, I would just continue with ordering the remainder of the Robart items. Tower is now selling the Giant retracts for $164.99 PLUS a discount coupon of $15 off. So with the $5. shipping accounted for, you sure can't beat this set for $155.00!! THESE RETRACTS ARE ALSO THE NEWER VARIETY, that will not hang below the wing when fully retracted. I drove them nuts at Tower to assure me of this.(I faxed them diagrams of the old and new comparisons to make sure it wasn't old stock they would sell me) Yep, and then decided on Spring Air!

The only reason why I am choosing Spring Air, is that for the same package deal cost, I will have the feature that any of the 3 retracts will spring open in case of failure due to pressure loss. That is a nice feature for a guy like me who's unfamiliar with retracts and so expects a problem due to my inexperience and unfamiliarity with using the stuff for the first time. But I have witnessed many a seasoned and experienced rc pilot having had to land their warbirds with retract problems. -It's Not a pretty site having to land a 25lb plane on its belly. -They don't always come sliding in nice and smooth only to scratch up the bottom of a nicely finished plane. (Takes me a year or more to complete my scale painted projects. I prefer to do all I can to avoid any sort of damage to the paint finish on the belly or otherwise)

Stan's Fiber replacement Cowl sounds like a nice way to save time and trouble. But I'm no stranger to working with this plastic styrene stuff. So if it's already included, I'll use it. Stans is a great source for scratch projects, as well as replacements though.

I checked the engine specs one more time. If this plane was designed for the 2.5 Cu inch, 3 H.P US 41cc Engine,(that Tower sells) then the Zenoah 62cc 3.8 cu inch 4.75 H.P. ought to be a blast!

I've still got a few months to work on my blown-up Astro Hog project. So you'll be doing your P-47 before me. Let me know how it goes as you progress, and if you hear any info I can use.

But like I said, you and I are in the minority with this model for some reason. (Tower just finished dumping them for $CHEAP$, plus the $15 discount. Must be at least another 6 or 7 kits out there now. haha)
Old 06-10-2002, 01:29 PM
Burrito Bandito

Default TRY THIS

http://home.flash.net/~jecramer/jug.htm

Give the link above a try. I stumbled on it several months ago. From the looks of things, I think he has started a new project and this is on the back burner. As I remember though, there were some great construction photographs.

Hope it helps.....
Old 06-10-2002, 02:31 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

I have built and flown the 60 size TF P-47. I had the gaint scale kit but sold it in order to purchase the Yellow kit. I looked the giant scale kit over before I sold it and the construction is exactly the same as the 60 size kit. With all of that said, I would like to offer a suggestion. Re-enforce the landing gear retract mounting rails. I built a box around the mounting rails on mine. I used 1/8 inch, 5-ply plywood and triangle stock in the corners. I fly from a grass field that can get pretty messed up from gophers digging holes. A couple of weeks ago I was landing and the left main gear set down in a gopher hole. Normally, this would have ripped the retract out of the wing, but instead, the insert connecting the retract to the oleo bent. I ended up with a three dollar repair instead of a wing rebuild.

Please post pictures as you go along with the construction.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:49 AM
mustang105
My Feedback: (12)

Default TF Giant P-47

I also just purchased the Giant P-47 but am extremely disappointed with the canopy. The .60 size bubble canopy, available as a conversion to that kit, is much more scale in appearance than the Giant version. There are other scale problems that Top Flite could have dealt with, and not raised the cost of the kit, but chose not to. Somebody at Top Flite really dropped the ball and I believe this is probably why a lot of people chose to spend their money elsewhere.

I will build and fly this kit but my next scale project will not be a Top Flite kit.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:32 AM
rustyrivet

John,
That's a neat site to visit to see some of the construction going on with the model, but in typical style this Top Flite Giant P-47 was never completed either! I'm telling you, there's something about this plane that for some reason you never see em buillt and flyin !!???

Mustang 105,
I think most folks know the Top Flite models aren't for purists. Frankly, you had me so concerned about the bubble canopy being so way off scale, that I pulled the box out of the cabinet, peeled away the tissue paper from the canopy, and carefully compared it to my 3 view drawings of a P-47. Honestly I didn't see anything much off scale! Looked darn close to me, if it was off scale. I personally will settle for the modified wing airfoil, a larger fin, and a wider retract stance for the improved performance. Since you're obviously fussier about your warbirds then me, I hope these deficiencies don't drive you nuts before you're half way finished with the kit.
Are you sure they didn't see you coming and slip a Sea Fury bubble canopy in the box just to fun with you. HaHa
Old 06-14-2002, 02:45 AM
Burrito Bandito

Default 60 Size

Randall,

You might also try a search on RCU for Andy Steere or you could try google using the same name plus P47. His Jug is a TF 60 size but the time he spent detailing and the results are pretty awesome. Tons of photo's and video too.

Maybe you will get some scale finishing ideas there.

Cheers,
John
Old 06-14-2002, 03:32 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

randallm- where did you find the kit for less than $200? at that price i may just buy one even though i am a slow builder. my 60 size top flite p47 flies real well and the big one should also.

ed
Old 06-14-2002, 06:08 PM
mustang105

RandallM,

No, I'm not a fussy purist, the canopy is simply not a good representation. As I indicated, they got it right for the .60 size version, why could'nt they have simply scaled that one up. If you have access to a .60 TF P-47 with the bubble top canopy compare the two, you'll see what I'm talking about. For the time and effort I will put into this kit, I would like the final product to be as close to looking like a P-47 as possible. That is why they call it scale, Top Flite or not!
Old 06-14-2002, 11:43 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You might be able to use the Aerotech canopy and other accessories to dress up the TF kit for better scale appearance. Not cheap but you know they are scale.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:11 AM
rustyrivet

Ed,

You just missed a Tower Hobbies Web Site "Daily sale" of this Giant P-47 Kit. It dropped .87 cents each day for I don't know how many weeks, until it finally sold last Saturday for $213.40 (Plus their typical discount of $15 off for any purchase over $150.!!)
But last Saturday was the final sale day. It looks to me like Tower will now sell these kits at the current offering of $229.99 But who knows?: They were selling the Giant Corsair a couple of months back for $239.99 Now they want $300!
But any way, $230 for the Giant P-47, minus the $15 discount for the time being still is cheap!

Mustang,
I'll bet you build a nice model. And even if you were a "fussy purist", in this hobby what would be wrong with that. (everthing right with it!) You obviously take more care and pride in what you build then some of the junk I see guys take out to the field. (for example, I still have trouble accepting ARF's. I consider my two ARF's as training wheels for kicking around and crashing. Quite a different strut to my walk when I bring out my painted stick builts) All and all, this hobby is for fun and ultimately who cares what I or anybody thinks! (Let them wear shorts with high black socks while they fly ARF's, even if they do look rediculous. )
Old 08-22-2003, 02:04 AM
chines
My Feedback: (2)

Default Top Flight Sports Scale

Well I just got the Giant P-47 From RandellM. The Kit looks good to me but I am not that picky about things. I want mine to look as scale as I can make it. But I read on the box that it said Sport Scale. Now I'm not to sure what that means but I think it mean it is not a true scale kit. Like someone said before TF gives you a good platform to start with. So just leave it at that. Stop cry'n about TF if you dont like it return it or sell it to the next sucker and keep on build'n and fly'n that is what we like to do most.

Chris
Old 08-22-2003, 02:45 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Default Top-Flite Giant scale Thunderbolt

JimA

Like many war bird enthusiasts,I have built and flew the Top-Flite 1/7 scale 47,In fact I was so pleased with the build and performance that it now has a large shadow cast over it: that being the 1/5 scale Top-Flite Thunderbolt.. The 1/5 scale has went together well with the exception of the razor back; after seeing a Dave Platt video, I opted to (strip-plank) the rear turtle deck. Top-Flite certainly,however,did drop the ball on their 1/5 scale Jugs bubble canopy though. I used the optional "razor back"canopy thats not bad-The 1/5 scale versions bubble canopy does not look right at all 'I agree'and one of our war bird pilots of the Prince Georges R/C club, located in Bowie Maryland, opted to use the "yellow" bubble canopy instead,on his 1/5 scale T bolt.. We have a lot of opinions here about retractable landing gear for the 1/5 scale Thunderbolt and my suggestion is go with the spring-air retracts (which include full size)drawings illustrating easy modifications, to fit the 47's mains and tail wheel as well; then go with the Robart struts-'the best of both worlds so as to speak. Post some pictures and if you have any questions let me know. My 1/7 scale is in the rcwarbirds fighter gallery and the (IMP)Innovative model Products site as well
Old 08-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Edwin

The list is growing longer. I have one that will be this winters project. Kit was $209 (and I forgot to use the discount, damn) G-62 and spring-airs. I want an everyday flyer for now. Will look at other plans for future more scale builds later on.
Edwin
Old 08-22-2003, 12:47 PM
mustang105

Default TF P-47

If you read my previous post you would see that I am simply saying Top Flite got the 1/8 scale P-47 bubble canopy correct while the 1/5 scale canopy doesn't come close. How much effort would it have taken to scale up the 1/8 scale canopy? I do understand that a TF 1/5 scale P-47 that sells for $200-250 is not going to have the same scale fidelity as a 1/5 scale P-47 that sells for $550+ but I expect TF to maintain or even improve on scale features on the newer, larger kit.

There are certain features on airplanes that draw attention. If it is incorrect it detracts from the overall appeal. How many times have you seen the stars and bars upside down at the flying field? This is not a purist attitude nor am I being a crybaby, it just ain't right, "Sport Scale" or not.

For what it is worth I used the Yellow Aircraft canopy and it looks and fits great.

Chuck
Old 08-22-2003, 11:12 PM
tim thompson

you are correct the canopy is off! would take a little effort to get it correct
Old 08-23-2003, 03:25 AM
nchrome

Default Giant P-47

Well guys I just tested and did the maiden flight for my P-47. I have the US41 in mine and to me it just flew just fine. Did kind of stalled the wings out on the landing and had to fix the right gear and prop. Guess Ill have to learn how to land this bird like it is suppose to land. I also used B&D retracts which worked just fine for me. They are air and the tail wheel is mechanical.Cause if you look at the building book close enough and check TF web site they used two different struts for the gear one is the off set and the one on TF web site is the regular L shape gear. I also converted mine to the razor back cause I defenitley did not like the bubble canapy. I also solid mounted my engine and ignored the soft mount. Ben flying my HP200 for about 5 years with a US41 mounted solid and havent had any problems yet. Also used the tourque rod system for the control serfaces and everything worked just fine. Didn't have to add any weight to the nose to balance but definately can't fly without cowel. Plan on flying it this Sunday and finish the rivet lines and paint for Taylor this labor day weekend.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:03 AM
jneesy

just a dumb question but , on that link when using the glassing system he is using he writes to make sure you dont sand into the weave of the fiberglass how do you do seams where two pieces come together? do you overlap? or do you butt them together and fill with resin?
Old 08-23-2003, 05:37 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

No! just feather edge the over lapping seams and a coat or two of primer will have you ready for the finish coat-

Every time I walk in a hobby shop I leave with more sand paper: sanding makes all the difference-
Old 08-23-2003, 09:56 AM
greyfly

Default TF (Giant)P47

Guys

I have been following these posts with much interest, as I have a 47 awaiting its turn next on the building board. I had the smaller one a few years back and found it to be an excellent model...hence the purchase of the larger one.

Anyway......who is this "Stan's Fibertech" chap? Does anyone have a link they could send me? as the F/G cowl sounds a good idea.

If you boys think you are hard done by the price you pay for your T/F kits, then spare a thought for us Brits. The giant p47 costs around £350.00 here ..thats approx $560 to you....so think yourselfs very lucky.

Any help with Stans Fibertech would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Edwin

Here's his web site.
http://www.stansfibertech.com/

Edwin
Old 08-23-2003, 10:33 PM
LuvaraAir
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't build one.. but I took some pics of a friends' at the flying field today.. Thought you might enjoy them..

Old 08-23-2003, 10:38 PM
LuvaraAir
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

and one more for good measure..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.