Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF Giant P-51 ARF Engine Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF Giant P-51 ARF Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 06:50 AM
rchelibuff
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Giant P-51 ARF Engine Question

Hey Guys,

Well from what I have been reading, it seem the TF Giant P-51 ARF is the way to go over the hanger 9 product. Now for the fellows who already have this or built this plane I have an engine question. I know they suggest a US 45cc gas engine, (which I personally think lacks quality) so would a Zenoah G-62 with the electronic ignition fit in there without destroying much of the cowl or even a Desert Aircraft 50? I'm trying to keep as much of the scale appearance as possible. Any help would be great. Thanks

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF Giant P-51 ARF Engine Question

You might consider the Evolution engine marketed by Brison. Seen one mounted on that ARF at Toledo. Looked good. Also seen a new geared setup (belt driven reduction gear) for the DA 50 that is supposed to fit in the nose as well. Will post more info when I can find it.
[&:]
Old 04-07-2004, 12:21 PM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

This is just my opinion, but avoid the G62 because you would have to butcher the cowl and also add tail weight.

Go with the DA50 which only requires a small cut-out on the side of the cowl to clear the pitts muffler plus the plane will balance with out added tail weight.

Or, you can go with a ZDZ40 with the rear exhaust. I believe you can fit this in the cowl completely.

The Revolution 50 motor is nice and I also looked at it at Toledo, but the length of the motor is quite long and requires a small cut out in the firewall to clear the carb. Also, the Revolution motor is not quite available yet, while the DA and ZDZ motors are in stock.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:04 PM
MustangFan

The Belt Drive Reduction Unit shown at Toledo will be $390. They are re-designing it to fit the TF Giant.
They will have a 4 bladed scale prop "in the future" $280
Fits a DA50 or ZDZ engine ( I believe ) ... they showed it with a DA $550
Muffler approx. $130

Thats some serious cash ! With a high WOW Factor !

The Brisson Engine fits without cutting the cowl ... and they have a special muffler for the TF Giant P-51.

If I don't like my Moki 2.10 with PICA muffler ( no cutting of the cowl) ... I will try the Brisson .... should be available by then !

The G-62 will fly the plane great ... but like unswortm said ... requires much cutting.
The US engine is marginal on power ... two people tried it in our club.

Good Luck !
Old 04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

Howdee.

yes, the goal of the whole exercise was to make it work for the TF P-51. at the time the arf was not out and i was building the kit, now i have the arf, and we are doing more testing hopefully friday and monday.

i'll try and keep the website updated to keep you all in the loop.

cheers

joe

www.warbirdpropdrives.com
Old 04-09-2004, 08:20 AM
rchelibuff
My Feedback: (14)

Okay,

I do like the way the DA-50 is setup with the rear carb. And at 2.94lbs and producing 5 HP isn't too shabby as well. Is there any style muffler for the DA-50 that I would not have to make a side cut in the cowling? Underneath I don't mind, on the side can begin to get hokey in looks. Also will the DA-50 pull this plane with no problems if it comes in around 20-21 lbs mark? In know TF says 17-19 lbs as fly weight, but I estimate a bit more just to be on the safe side. Thanks again.

Mike
Old 04-09-2004, 10:15 AM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

The cowl muffler cut-out for the DA doesn't look bad at all. Plais did a review on this plane and installed a DA50. Attached is his picture showing the cut out.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2004, 10:10 AM
flyinrain
My Feedback: (25)

Has anyone tried making their own muffler to prevent from cutting into the side of the cowl?
Old 04-11-2004, 04:58 PM
whs485

In my experience; the U.S. engine is anemic, the Moki 2.10 works, the DA works, the ZDZ works. If you must cut out the cowl do what a friend did, paint the exposed muffler in the same scheme/colors and its barely noticable. The eye sees what the eye sees.