Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF Corsair (60) things to know...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF Corsair (60) things to know...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 02:01 PM
swill
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Corsair (60) things to know...

recently came across a TF Corsair (latest edition) that I am now completing. just wondering what are the issues, if any, with this plane -
  • does it need a lot of nose weight (or how does it balance)
  • are the Century Jet retracts good/worth it?
  • engine recommendations? (YS91, OS91fx, anything else sound good?)
  • overall weight of plane
  • flight characteristics

thanks for all your help in advance. look forward to finishing this as well as my Sea Fury, maybe have a little fleet of reno racers.

Did a search in this forum, but didn't find a whole lot.

Keep 'em flying,
Scott
Old 06-27-2002, 02:31 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: TF Corsair (60) things to know...

Originally posted by swill
recently came across a TF Corsair (latest edition) that I am now completing. just wondering what are the issues, if any, with this plane -
  • does it need a lot of nose weight (or how does it balance)
  • are the Century Jet retracts good/worth it?
  • engine recommendations? (YS91, OS91fx, anything else sound good?)
  • overall weight of plane
  • flight characteristics

Scott
I built one a few years back, loved it. Mine did not require any dead weight to balance with a ST.91 two stroke. I used Rhom Air retracts with no problems. You can search RCU for Century Jet to learn more about people's experiences with that brand. I have flown this airplane with both .75 and .90 size two strokes and both were way more than adequate. A YS would be outstanding in the airplane just for the sound but either of your engine choices is way more than adequate. I never weighed mine but with flaps and retracts, Monokote covered, I'd guess it was 81/2 to 9 pounds. Flight charateristics are outstanding. Very groovy with no bad habits. I have another one, the old red box version, that I picked up half built and will finish eventually. Best of luck with yours.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:33 PM
WS

I've been flying one now for almost 10 years. At first, it had a 91 FS in it, which flew it ok, but only with the right prop and fuel combination. It was 12 lbs, with a pound of weight on the engine mount to balance it. It had the robart retracts in it, which are absolute garbage, imo. The century jet retracts are much better for this plane. Not saying all Robarts are bad, just the 90 degree rotating set for this plane! I've since re-engined it with a 1.20 FS and took some of the weight out of the nose and it flies very scale like. It does not like crosswinds at all! You need to 3-point it every time to save the gear and prevent possible nose overs in long grass. There is very little trim change with flaps. If anything, slightly nose up, which is cancelled when you put the gear down. The glide is quite steep with the flaps down, so don't put em down till you know ur in the field. I made that mistake on 2 dead-sticks. First one ended up in the top of a tree and the second one barely made the end of the field with no airspeed left to flare. No damage though, just bent the gear a tad. Overall, I really like it. It needs new gear (it'll be it's 3rd set), after 10 years. The outline is very close to scale (compared to the 3-views that I have, anyway). The airfoil is 2% thicker than scale and the H-stab is I think about 20% larger, but you can't really tell. Oh yeah, when you look at the elevator deflection and you think, 'that's not enough'. It's enough! It'll really move too. With a 14 x 10 APC on a 1.20 FS, it'll do over 100 mph! I'm currently turning a 13.8 x 10 4-blade at 8000 rpm. There's something about this plane, it just draws attention, and it's not even very big! I can throw it in the back of the station wagon in one piece!
Old 06-28-2002, 12:38 AM
swill
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks for the good info, guys. Mine is coming along - just waiting to buy those retracts so I can sheet the wing. I'm gonna convert mine to dual aileron servos in the wings.

That's weird that one would balance with a ST91 and the other with a heavier engine needed lead. Might be the new-ness of the one kit?

So it likes crosswinds as much as my light 1/4 scale cub, eh?
Old 06-28-2002, 12:52 AM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nose weight in the plane will be dictated by the following work aft of cg.

Where the servos are located. Place them where possible as far forward of cg as you can.

No need to "over-build" the tail group. Excess glassing or building up of this area, will cause alot of weight up front to be needed.

Battery rx pack on the firewall. This is usuable weight, take advantage of it.

Over built cockpit kit. Keep it light as well, this area is also aft of the cg. From my two previous corsairs, they balance pretty far forward of the plan form. I had one aft cg and it was nasty to say the least.

Good looking plane in the air, landings are not very difficult, as there is plenty of area for the size and weight of the plane. Mine was over done badly, weighed something like 15lbs dry, and flew well enough to keep me happy (which can be really tough) with a os 91 fsr (this is a killer engine)

Best wishes,

Ray

oh yeah, my build up required something like 2 lbs to cg, which I added to engine rails and cowling.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:09 AM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

Default TF Gold Corsair

Just finished mine. OS91 4 stroke plus 6oz lead on the nose. Robart retracts, cockpit, pilot and flaps, total weight 10 lbs 2 oz. Flys great. Make sure you have enough speed on take off and climb. Don't put to much throw in the elevator, it is a war bird and will let you know it if you get too slow. Use 3 3/4 inch wheels and cheat them forward in the wing. That will take care of the tendency to nose over also the bigger gear is more scale. fiberglass specialties makes an after market cowl with open cowl flaps that helps keep the engine coll and looks better. Keep everything as far forward as possible when you install battery and the like. Covered the plane with Solartex. Use a servo on each aileron forget the link setup they tell you to use. Running a straight pipe out of the four stroke, sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15799_10642.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	10082  
Old 06-28-2002, 03:43 AM
Merkur

okay thats it, i need to buy one of these planes!
Old 06-28-2002, 03:45 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Default F4U-1D

Scott, I curently fly a Byron Corsair and the flight characteristics are almost the same,,, a little tail waggle (dutch roll )during during high speed passes,,, loves the rudder for turns and requires some power when flaps are deployed for a down & dirty pass or landing. Expect a nose down pitch when flaps are deployed. My Corsairs hates cross wind landings too,,, so get all the rudder movement you can get

BV

Name:	15808_1612.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	10083  
Old 06-28-2002, 11:29 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree that the Robart retracts are not worth the money. The set I installed on my Corsair had slop in the rotating gear train that would not allow the plane to accelerate for take off with out the wheels chattering so bad you had to shut it down. No matter what angle the wheels were set at, they still did the same thing. Putting toe in on the wheels was a real experiance in gear chatter. I have not tryed the Century Jet, so I am not sure how they are. Hopefully Robart has cured this problem, as all this happened a few years back. Good Luck, Dave.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:38 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have never used the smaller Robart rotaters but there has been much discussion of them on the web, mostly negative. This surprises me as I have had such good luck with the larger Robarts. I have never had a good set of Century Jet gear but, again, I've not used their rotating retracts. Some guys will swear by them. As stated in my previous post I used Rhom Air gear in my TF Corsair with outstanding success. I know they are considered "old technology" but they worked every time and held up just fine. I don't think Rhom is in business anymore but they are not hard to find if you search the various RC classifieds or ebay. I picked up a brand new set with the TF red box Corsair I just bought and, after hearing the horror stories, I think I'll stick with them! Here's a pic of my first one:

Name:	15833_559.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	10084  
Old 06-28-2002, 08:42 PM
Bill Vargas

Default F4u-1D

Corsairs are cool

BV

Name:	15874_1612.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	10085  
Old 06-30-2002, 12:56 AM
tivey

Default corsair

Just finished my tf 60 corsair.I went all the way also.Robart retracts,cockpit kit,full pilot,dummy engine,o.s.91fx engine,full flaps,1100ma battery,medium air tank for retracts and corsair blue utracoat.Mine came out 10lb,3oz.I also hate my robart retracts.There 100 degree rotating retracts are pitiful.I have 5 flights on mine on asphalt and my retracts are bent all to pieces.I am very disapointed with them.I used 2 aileron servos and 2 flap servos.I did not bury my flaps servos as instructed.I also added shear webbing in the wing.I didn't sheet the gull as instructed.I used a different method.I put my airvalve and airvalve servo in the wing center.Worked out well.Be very very stingy on the elevator throw.Hold your plane on the runway till you have plenty of airspeed.Where I thought was nuetral, brought my plane off the runway too fast.Only saved cause I had a 91fx to pull it out.I love the plane.Flaps will make your heart pump when you drop that 50 degrees.Email if you have questions.I would love to help you.Tivey
Old 06-30-2002, 01:02 AM
tivey

Default tf corsair

I also wanted to say that my plane balanced perfectly without adding any weight.I did shuffle my battery to the front and changed sides with my throttle servo.Latterally my left wing came out heaviest and I side mounted my motor like they show.I used the top-flite muffler and header on my os 91fx.Worked out very nicely.Also looks very scale.The cowl hides it all.I have had many comments on this planes and it flies very good also.I was told before I brought this one to the field that corsairs dont fly well.Dont believe it.Mine flies very good.Tivey
Old 06-30-2002, 04:36 AM
Bill Vargas

Default Re: tf corsair

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tivey
[B]>>>I was told before I brought this one to the field that corsairs dont fly well. Dont believe it. Mine flies very good.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:55 AM
RCHYFLYER
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: corsair

Originally posted by tivey
Just finished my tf 60 corsair.I went all the way also.Robart retracts,cockpit kit,full pilot,dummy engine,o.s.91fx engine,full flaps,1100ma battery,medium air tank for retracts and corsair blue utracoat.Mine came out 10lb,3oz.I also hate my robart retracts.There 100 degree rotating retracts are pitiful.I have 5 flights on mine on asphalt and my retracts are bent all to pieces.I am very disapointed with them.I used 2 aileron servos and 2 flap servos.I did not bury my flaps servos as instructed.I also added shear webbing in the wing.I didn't sheet the gull as instructed.I used a different method.I put my airvalve and airvalve servo in the wing center.Worked out well.Be very very stingy on the elevator throw.Hold your plane on the runway till you have plenty of airspeed.Where I thought was nuetral, brought my plane off the runway too fast.Only saved cause I had a 91fx to pull it out.I love the plane.
Flaps will make your heart pump when you drop that 50 degrees
.Email if you have questions.I would love to help you.Tivey
Topflite calls for 30 degrees flap max
Old 08-04-2003, 01:53 AM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

50 degrees is the max flap deflection on the 1-1 Corsair . . .

Mark