Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hanger-9 Corsair ARF Mods for more Scale/ Accurate Appearance

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hanger-9 Corsair ARF Mods for more Scale/ Accurate Appearance

Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM
ckahoun
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hanger-9 Corsair ARF Mods for more Scale/ Accurate Appearance

Hi Pogoed
When you moved your Lados forward, how did you reinforce the leading edge or is that not a problem? Do you have any pictures when you were installing? Did you lower them as well? I am going to do the same thing with the lados. Any info on the installation of the retracts would be great!!
Your corsair looks great!!
Thanks
Clay
Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 AM
lablover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hate to dig up an old thread but I'm thinking of getting this ARF but hate the servos outside the fuse. Can you guys that have done it, post pics of where an how you hide the rudder and elev servos. This is the only thing stopping me from building this kit. BTW, I a pretty new modeler so hopefully not to hard a mod

Joe
Old 07-15-2010, 08:46 AM
v6goose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Joe...

The holes in the fuselage for the rudder and elevator servos can simply be filled with medium soft balsa and sanded to match the contour of the fuse.

I made a new servo tray and put the rudder/elevator servos in the tradtional place with pushrods.

You can see the tail end of the linkages in the second picture of this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9601002]post in my thread...[/link]

Good luck!

Goose
Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Avaiojet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,

Glad to see your Thread is still hot!

Gotta tell ya, you have a great Thread on a great model.

I apologize for repeat questions, but I've been doing other things and need to catch up with all these Post and replies.

Well, it was determined that the H9 Corsair is 1/8 scale, correct?

Because I'm really bashing my fuselage, building the F2G-1D, I'll do a tracing, line drawing, of the H9 fuselage.

A start.

I'll need a Mustang or Jug type canopy, this is why I have to be sure of the scale? Gotta get one from a model of the same scale or really close. I'll know more when I make the tracing.

Possibly Top Flite has one that will work?

Thanks

Charles
Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Dangaras

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the wingspan comparison gives 1/6 scale while a topflite corsair 1/7 cockpit fits, a 1/7 (10 inch) full body pilot is a little too big and a 1/8 too small.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet
...................Well, it was determined that the H9 Corsair is 1/8 scale, correct?..............Because I'm really bashing my fuselage, building the F2G-1D, I'll do a tracing, line drawing, of the H9 fuselage...........Charles
Full scale Corsair has a wingspan of 41 ft, or 492 in. If you divide by 8 (for 1/8 scale), you come up with 61 1/2 in. The Hangar 9 Corsair is 65 in, BUT: it is slightly out of scale in that it is 'stretched' a little, probaby to give it more wing area. CMP/ KMP are famous for doing this: they had a Corsair with a 70 in span wing, yet the fuselage was pretty much dead on 1/8 scale. Top Flite's Original Corsair (the 'red box') had a 61 1/2" span. later, they came out with a re-design known as the Gold Edition, but the wings got stretched slightly to 62 in, altho the fuselage profile remained unchanged. The canopies and cowls are interchangable between the two. And now, they have come out with an ARF version, and strecthed the wings to 62 1/2 in. Again, the fuselage shape/ size is unchanged, canopies and cowls are interchangable. The point I am making is in determining scale: one cannot go on wingspan alone, because most manufacturers 'cheat' a little with the wingspan and tail surfaces, in order to hopefully make it a better flying model. AND maybe stretch the nose a in order to make it easier to balance.The old Royal kits would be an exception: they made them as true to scale as possible.

I possess very detailed and scale accurate Corsair (F4U-1A) drawings 1/8 size. I can tell you that the fuselages of all three Top Lite versions, AND the Hangar 9 Corsair line up VERY WELL with those drawings. I can also state with cetainty that a Top Flite cowling AND canopy will fit very nicely on a Hangar 9 Corsair, which is why I assert that the Hangar 9 '60 size' Corsair AND all the versions of the Top Flite '60 size' Corsair are 1/8 scale.

THUS, altho the wingspan exceeds the 61 1/2 inches to make it TRUE 1/8 scale, the fuselage outline is true 1/8 scale (altho the nose is stretched slightly)
...................I'll need a Mustang or Jug type canopy, this is why I have to be sure of the scale? Gotta get one from a model of the same scale or really close. I'll know more when I make the tracing. ...................Possibly Top Flite has one that will work? ..............Thanks, ..............Charles
The P-47 is also 1/8 scale, while the Mustang is 1/7. I can't say how accurate either would be on an F2G, but I think I would try the P-47 one first, because it is also designed for a rounder fuselage.

BTW: the best example that I know of maufaucturers 'cheating' on wingspan is the old KMP Hellcat. It has a 70 span. I had one for awhile, and at the same time had a Bob Holman 1/8 true-scale Hellcat/ 64 in span. The fiberglass fuselages were nearly identical, and I even found out the wings were interchangable. Many people thought the KMP one was a larger scale because of the span, but I know it was becaue the had an oversize wing center section, which in turn gave it a much wider than scale stance on the landing gear, no doubt to make ground handling easier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77513.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1743062  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Avaiojet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,

Thanks for that info! I appreciate it and you're always generous.

Couple of issues. The cowling I need is straight, it doesn't taper. It's also 9.5" long by 7.125" in height.

I believe the TF cowling tapers. So, I may have to look after market to the glass vendors or make one myself. If I have to I can.

The TF cowling won't be long enough.

Some glass Vendors's products are heavy, I'll have to shop around.

Canopy, I believe you're correct with the Jug.

I'm drawing side views full size and will overlap them.

Thanks again!

Charles
Old 03-27-2012, 05:57 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

..............Couple of issues. The cowling I need is straight, it doesn't taper. It's also 9.5'' long by 7.125'' in height.
I believe the TF cowling tapers. So, I may have to look after market to the glass vendors or make one myself. If I have to I can.
The TF cowling won't be long enough. .....................................Thanks again!
Charles
The Top Flite has a SLIGHT taper to it, not that much and barely noticeable. But, as you said: not long enough to be scale for an F2G. Actually tho, I'm wondering if the (full scale) F2G cowl is slightly smaller in diameter than R-2800 engined Corsairs. I'm thinking the 4 rows of cylinders on R-4360 has smaller diameter than the 2 rows of an R-2800?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking of doing an F2G some years back and I was planning to use two of the TF Corsair kit cowls to make one for the Super Corsair. I think you could cut the nose bowl off of one and slide it onto the rear of the other in place of the ring that represents the cowl flaps. Then add the cowl flaps to the back of that. Anyway, I never got beyond the planning stages but it seemed plausible.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Avaiojet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Top Flite has a SLIGHT taper to it, not that much and barely noticeable. But, as you said: not long enough to be scale for an F2G. Actually tho, I'm wondering if the (full scale) F2G cowl is slightly smaller in diameter than R-2800 engined Corsairs. I'm thinking the 4 rows of cylinders on R-4360 has smaller diameter than the 2 rows of an R-2800?
Jim,

You may be correct about that reduced cowling size. I also thought about that.

May just apear to be longer?

I'll look into that.

Thanks,

Charles
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Avaiojet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for that info.

What size gas engines are beining used in the H9 Corsair? I'd like to swing a large 3 or 4 blade prop.

Are you guys using the TF cockpit for your H9?

I have a P-47 canopy on the way.

Charles

Old 04-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Avaiojet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I started the conversion to chande it into a F2G-2 or F2G-1.

Certainly I'll remove all the covering to glass and paint the model, but currently I'm working on the scale rudder.

I've drawn outline plans and have to decide on an engine choice.

Probably gas because I want to swing a large prop. I'm thinking the 26cc.

I'll probably have questions about much of this. I did look over about 30 pages of this Thread.

Here's my efforts so far. I still have other pieces to make for the rudder, but I started drawing the parts for the stab and elevator.

Charles

PS, I won't need the NIB cowling, canopy, stab/elev, rudder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74191.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1747638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21168.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1747639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80771.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1747640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19988.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1747641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq87774.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1747642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz38043.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1747643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh79440.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1747644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn47370.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1747645  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hg70807.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1747646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf39927.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1747647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf35210.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1747648  
Old 04-07-2012, 03:22 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Charles, sounds like a pretty big engine that you are thinking, I want to caution you about some things:

1)The Hangar 9 warbirds ('60 size') are built light (to fly right), and there have been instances of people overpowering them and having the engine and firewall seperate from plane (in flight). They do not NEED gobs of power, and are not designed for such. It has been proven time and again the the recommended engine sizes are very adequate for flying scale, heck: I could even hover my Hellcat powered by a Saito .91/ Master Airscrew 3 blade 14 x 7!
And it's not just the fuselage/ firewall that is built light: the wing have also been known to seperate (in flight) due to abnormal stresses. Personally, I think anything over 1.00 is overkill. The engine you are suggesting has 50% more dispacement, which will not only over stress the airfram: it will add considerable weight which assuming that you intend to have retracts on it, will put additional stress on the landing gear.

2) Bigger prop mean bigger torque issues/ more challenging take-offs and landings. I don't know how big you are thinking (you never mentioned), but I know that I switched to a 3 blade 15 x 8 on mine for awhile, and it became impossible to do a climbing right turn after takeoff with it, which unless you have a very big flying site, that can become hazardous. I went back to the 3 blade 14 x 9 and it handles much better now. I'm not ruling out the 15 x 8, becuase it might work better in a different Corsair, but the point I'm making is you CAN go too big.

If you MUST swing a big prop, have you considered electric power rather than a huge gas engine? With electric power, you can swing a big prop, and still keep the airframe relatively light. In fact, they are now making very scale looking 3 & 4 blade props which are designed for electric power only.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Dangaras

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have flown with a 16*9*3 MA prop with a 50-50-600kv motor. This was just fine for flying but took too much current. I swapped the motor down to a 400kv to keep the current draw reasonable.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Avaiojet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Corsair,

Noted! And thanks for that.

I'm thinking the really small Gas engines, like the 20cc and the 26cc. Also, the RCV 120 or the RCV 90.

MA makes large 3 blade props, but a 4 blade is my first goal, if I have to, I'll step down to a 3 blade.

I also gotta have a prop hub.

If I have to, I can add strength to areas that need it.

I'm currently researching hubs, props and engines.

BTW. I'm told a Robart 4" wheel won't fit in the well? What's with that?

Thanks again,

Charles
Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Dangaras

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

True Turn is the first place to look for a prop hub.

This corsair is modelled after the WWII versions. If you are going with a 4 blade prop you will have to mod the cowl to have a lower chin or double side air scoops. The -4s and later were introduced in Korea.

The foam LX mjodel corsair with folding wings uses an 18 inch 3 blade prop in north am with a 270kv motor and elsewhere in the world it is sold with a 4 blade 18 inch prop on a 250kv motor.

The stock wheels are as big as you can go with the stock inserts. You could always cut away the sheeting and make up a square well and if you get adventurous you could make a set of doors. Look for a thread 'corsair gear doors'....

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:58 PM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

................I'm thinking the really small Gas engines, like the 20cc and the 26cc. Also, the RCV 120 or the RCV 90...........
................BTW. I'm told a Robart 4'' wheel won't fit in the well? What's with that?
Thanks again, ..Charles
a 26 cc has 50% more displacement than a 1.00 cu in (MAX recommended engine size).

Any size wheel will fit if you want it to. Best not to use the included wheel wells anyway, because full scale Corsairs don't have 'em. The bigger the wheel however, the heavier the aircraft will be, and more importantly: the greater the C.G. change when the wheels are retracted. I consider 4" to be a little impractical, 3 3/4" look very scale, take up less room, and are lighter. I usually settle for 3 1/2" tho.

Even if you don't mind having a heavier than normal Corsair, your retracts will. Whether you choose the stock ones of aftermarket. ANY laqnding gear can become damaged if enough stress is inflicted. The heavier the plane is, the likelier that threshhold will be achieved. Personally, I like planes that fly right, not heavy, but to each his own.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will also caution against an oversized/overweight engine. I have this bird with a Supertigre 90 Two stroke... I have clocked this plane at 106 MPH with a high-pitch prop. The torque is so much with this engine that full throttle takeoffs will torque the airplane over even with full opposite rudder! I usually am at 3/4 throttle, and my rudder can handle that. Plenty of power, let me tell you! Stock retracts, internally glassed wing, lots of mods... over 11 pounds dry. The 90 pulls it wonderfully.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Avaiojet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I need an engine that will turn the prop. 4 blade.

Charles
Old 12-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Flying Beagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

C-Jock. Hope to see you at the 2014 Mid-Am....I remember your Corsair from a few years ago, very nice

Charles(aviaiojet) did you ever finish your F2G ?

Flying Beagle
Old 09-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Avaiojet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anybody still got their Hanger 9 60 size Corsair?

I have a question!!

Charles
Old 09-02-2014, 02:51 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sold mine but had two how can I help ?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Dangaras

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Still have mine....
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Avaiojet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LDM,

Could you please describe how the fuselage is covered, how many pieces, things like that.

I have to recover a fuselage.

Thanks,

Charles