Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Air powered retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Air powered retracts

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 05:03 PM
tomas13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air powered retracts

Hey has any one here used air retracts? please explain how they work and how you like them.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:21 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Air powered retracts

better than mechanicals .. no linkage lengths to worry about and no potential strain in the RX under servo load or potential binding of a mechanical set up. With air operation, you also have more options .. like pneumatic gear doors, etc .... also, i have never seen a set of mechanical gear hold up anything more than a 60 sized model, and that was barely ....

Wojtek
Old 06-07-2004, 05:54 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will also have an air storage tank to put in the plane as well as a selector valve which is operatred by a standard servo. The selector valve controls the gear movement up and down. Air retracts are easier to set up in a plane, however they do cost a bit more than mechanicals. There are different brands as well. I like Spring Air, others prefer Robart and CJM. Spring Air are positive lock down if you loose air presure where as Robart need air presure to hold them up and down. Hope this helps and Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Spring Air are positive lock down if you loose air presure

Don't take this wrong because I know that Spring-Air is very good gear, and, if it is what you want, you will not be disappointed with them. IF[/size] you ever have a loss of air pressure, they indeed will lower the gear through the spring action. Having said that, in all my years of operating air retracts I have never experienced air loss sufficient to make regular retracts fail to lower and lock. Just don't get the idea that total loss of air pressure is a significant concern.

With the Springair gear you have something else to consider. When you take the plane apart you disconnect the air lines. This means that when you are transporting the plane, the gear will always be down. This can be an annoying problem in the instance where you may have a nosegear on the fuselage or you want the wing to lay flat. Just something to think about but then it really is no different than transporting aircraft with fixed gear.

Air/pneumatic retracts is the only way to go. The difference in price is worth every penny.

If you go with air retracts, do yourself a favor and get one of the small, rechargeable emergency air compressors. They are around $40 and worth their weight in gold compared to a hand pump.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:02 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

i have a question: do retract tanks have a standard bicycle/car valve, or do i need an adapter?
Old 06-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

electricfan,

just another few points.

1. Springair you will need an adaptor but that comes with the gear. Robarts use standard type tyre adaptor

2. As for springair always being down when you disconnect the air and need to transport the plane. Simple, use a small diameter rod and lever the locking pin so the gear can be retracted, then use a piece of music wire etc of some sort to keep it retracted. On my Pica spit I have a small hole in the wheel well and I use a piece of music wire to lock the gear retracted. Easy

3. Airpowered retracts are the only way to go for warbirds, especially the larger ones. However retracts probably gives us 50% of our maintenance and problems but are worth the effort.

cheers
Peter
Old 06-08-2004, 04:23 PM
BCherry
My Feedback: (2)

I also have a question. I have some new retracts,with older valve and tanks,That I came across in my pile... But I cant find the directions... Does anybody have a diagram on how to hook them up... I have several tanks one large,and 2 small and 2-3 valves. so Im a little confused with whats what... thanks Brad
Old 06-08-2004, 04:24 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Here is a link to video that may help understand them a little more:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=275
Old 06-08-2004, 04:50 PM
BCherry

MY setup is older. But after seeing the video its like black and white to me now.. thanks for the link Brad
Old 06-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

robart have a video as well, maybe it's the same one.

check it out at www.robart.com

cheers
Peter
Old 06-08-2004, 05:08 PM
BCherry

Thanks guys...Peter thanks but its the same stuff as the prior post sent me... thanks to all. Brad
Old 06-09-2004, 07:56 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree that complete air failures are rare, however I have landed 2 planes with unlocked gears due to air failure. The landing gear brand was Rhom Air, which I do not believe are made any more. The first failure was due to one of the main gear air cylinders deciding that enough was enough and the second failure was an air line that just decided it had been on the T to long and came off. ( Probally not pushed on far enough by me ). The gears fell down so to speak, but did not lock. It was at this point that I switched to Spring Air. I have always been told that there are 2 kinds of pilot's that use retracts. The first one is the one that has landed with unlocked gears and the second one is the one that will land with unlocked gears, at some point in time. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-09-2004, 07:43 PM
tomas13

thanks guys i think i will invest in the air retracts.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Steven Sloan

Its always good to go with quality!! Take a look at Gene Barton.com all handmade and assembled if you are building a big or heavy bird take a look.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Hi Steve; I sent some words of encouragement to Tomas also, by email. For some reason the "reply " didn't work for me. I have been making custom retracts for about 28 years. Hope this works! Lee Robinson W. Palm Bch, FL [email protected] New website at robinairerc.20m.com. Just started, so crude and very incomplete!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:36 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

Concerning the gear lowering when disconnecting air lines, I install everything in the wing. I find it easier to connect a servo wire then fooling around with airlines. Also if I leave air in the tank, I can leave the gear either up or down when I have the wing off the plane.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:24 PM
voyager_663rd

duplicate
Old 06-18-2004, 04:24 PM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: Robinaire

Hi Steve; I sent some words of encouragement to Tomas also, by email. For some reason the "reply " didn't work for me. I have been making custom retracts for about 28 years. Hope this works! Lee Robinson W. Palm Bch, FL [email protected] New website at robinairerc.20m.com. Just started, so crude and very incomplete!
Lee, have you seen the RCU posting about sierra and their TF 1/8 corsair gear (that don't seem to exist). Any comments on you being able to make them? Big market for gear that won't rotate on landing.