Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GSP Spitfire ARF build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GSP Spitfire ARF build

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 PM
jugpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GSP Spitfire ARF build

Drill out the dimple that is located 4 1/2 inches forward of the trailing edge of the wing on the main center rib.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:46 AM
dharrell

The piece of plywood used under the wing at the trailing to bolt on the wing to the fuse........should this piece fit flush with the trailing edge?? Also, the plywood, according to the plans, should measure 450 mm. The one in my kit is 425 mm. If you drill the holes at 75 mm, like it states, you will not be able to fit the lock nuts in place because the fuse tapers and the space is too narrow. Thanks
Dean
Old 12-13-2005, 11:24 AM
jugpilot

The piece of plywood should be flush with the trailing edge of the wing, also drill the holes at a distance that will accommadate the width of he fuse, the lock nuts will be inserted where you drill the holes.
Jugpilot
Old 12-13-2005, 11:58 AM
dharrell

Thanks for the good advice. Another question......do you think an OS 91 II Surpass pumper is enough engine to carry this plane??
Dean
Old 12-13-2005, 05:10 PM
jugpilot

Hi Dean,
Your OS 91 will surely carry this aircraft, but being a warbird I like a little more power for aerobatics, and I am putting in a 120 thunder tiger, but you will fly with your 91.
Jugpilot
Old 12-13-2005, 05:37 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just happend to have a YS 120 not in a plane so, that's what I'll throw in mine. I also like the extra power.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:08 PM
dharrell

Did anyone have difficulty aligning the horizontal stab? Mine seems a little loose. Thanks
Dean
Old 01-06-2006, 01:30 PM
skippy uk

hi mate i too have the flair mossy had the same problem with the paint finish what paint did you use to repaint and what did you do about fuel proofing please next what size engins did you use mine has 2 irvine 39 in and what about retracts what ones did you use any help would greatly help as this is my first twin i have built and about to fly good help me lol
Old 01-06-2006, 01:33 PM
skippy uk

i have the sportsman avaition kit its a "60 wing span it has a sc 90 4 stroke with a 14x 7 prop spinnr size is 3 3/4" hope this helps
Old 01-23-2006, 09:02 PM
dharrell

I finally finished this bird and in the process of balancing. I find that I am going to have to add 10 oz of weight to the nose. I have the CG at 125 mm.....the book states 120 to 130 mm. This seems like a hell of a lot of weight. I moved everything as forward as I could. Anybody else have to add this much weight?? Thanks
Dean
Old 01-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

I had to add 1lb to mine. Made a foamed tray behind the fuel tank so most of the added weight set inside the bulkhead.
This bothered me to the point I called GSP and a few other fellow rc pilots who had this plane. When I told them I was using the OS91FX they weren't surprised a bit. In fact the guy at GSP said that sounded about right.
I'm now in the process of installing a 25cc gas engine and some better retracts. The extra weight of the gasser will balance much better without stuffing all the radio gear,, servos,,,small animals,, etc in the nose. LOL
By the way,,, the OS 91FX will fly the heck outta this plane. But the vertical is limited and the sound is ,,, well,,,, you know. A two stroke.

P.S. I found a small vid of me taking off . Poorly done ,, but it shows the punch of the 91FX. I find 4strokes much easier to ground handle , takeoff and land with in a warbird.
[link=http://members.cox.net/stanle/MOV00940.MPG]GSP Spitfire takeoff.[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53101.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	394144  
Old 01-24-2006, 09:02 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Dean,

I would get the CG as far forward as possible. I understand that 125 mm falls in the middle of the recommended range, but based on my experience, your plane will be very tail heavy.

When mine was set at 125 mm, I found that in order to get it trimmed for level flight after take-off I had to enter in a huge amount of down-trim. When I eventually slowed for landing on the final approach, all that trim made it dive towards the ground. When I used the elevator to compensate, the tail-heavy plane would get into a porpoise and was extremely sensitive to elevator inputs. Very bad all-around. Even with 45% exponential on the elevator I could not finess it in smoothly.

I experimented for quite some time and finally I re-set the balance point at 115 mm. MUCH BETTER! I actually enjoy bringing this plane out to the field now. And I finally am confident that I can bring it in without destroying the retracts.

I'll be interested to hear how yours flys at 125 mm.

Let us know.

Noah
Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 AM
butlern

Dean, a few more things that I forgot to mention....

I have a 34 oz. YS 120 on the front mounted to Gator R/C aluminum motor mount. I have also shimmed the whole unit out by another 1/8 inch by epoxying an additional piece of plywood to the plywood block supplied by CMP. And last but not least, I added 6 additional ounces of lead weight.

Sounds ridiculous, but this is what it took to get my model to fly reasonably well.

Let us know what you learn when you fly yours.

Noah
Old 01-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Saito 100 in mine and had to add over 1lb of lead in the nose to get it to balance. Like Noah, I also found the 125mm balance point to be difficult. I think mine now balances at 120 or 121 mm and it flies much better.

-Ed
Old 01-24-2006, 11:04 PM
dharrell

To Sturtz, Noah and Ed
Thanks for the good advise. I will move the CG to at least 120 mm and give it a shot. I will let you know how it handles. Thanks again,
Dean
Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running a Zenoah 26 gasser on mine, no nose weight and Flies great
at about half throttle
Love the look of a spit in the air
Yes I know the bomb is TOOOOO big but I put a variety of stuff on it just to drop it off

Lawrence

Name:	Kh17785.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	395331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60635.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	395332  
Old 01-25-2006, 09:10 PM
butlern

Lawrence,

To say that your retracts look solid would be quite an understatement. What make are those?!? They look fantacstic... Your whole plane looks great!
Old 01-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Jerryballs
My Feedback: (19)

Lawrence,
I have a pair of retracts a friend gave me...he does not know where they came from?? I am putting them in my Spit and they look just like the ones in your picture. Are these mechanical? Anything you could tell me about them would be much appreciated. I'm using a FPE 21cc gas and wanted some stout gear! Thanks, Jerryballs
Old 02-24-2006, 07:56 PM
proulxlaw

I just finished mine. I will wait for warmer weather to maiden her. YS 120AC, battery in front of firewall, 4 oz. lead glued to outside of firewall. I used 120 size mechanical retracts from AK models.

Name:	Ki19967.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	414929  
Old 02-24-2006, 11:30 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the coments about my spit
The gear is from Lenny Sarbin at SHINDIN retracts,
Lenny makes about the finest retract gear I have ever seen, and he is not overpriced by any means
Lenny made that gear for a 80 Spit the gear lasted a lot longer that the plane- I am looking for another large spit but until then this spit looks great.
When I got the 70 in spit I put the gear on it
Yes it is too big, but the plane has crept up in weight with all the stuff i have added to the basic plane, it is a lot heaver than most but the landing gear will handle all I can put on it
and I have made some adjusttment to the cant of the gear since I took those pictures
Hint to the wise, Your gear must be forward or it will nose over at the sightest whim. Trust me I know this from experience
Keep those spits in the air nothing pretter
Lawrence
Old 02-25-2006, 01:54 AM
proulxlaw

I decided to install a scale (1/6) pilot. It's a P51 Ultimate Soldier pilot. I've begun working on the cockpit. I am using a Top Flite giant Corsair cockpit kit and modifying as necessary. It's the only one that is that size that I was able to find. So far so good. I will post pics when I pull them off of my memory card of my camera. Where can I find those retracts?