Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hawker Hurricane ARF ( KMP )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hawker Hurricane ARF ( KMP )

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 01:04 PM
spitty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawker Hurricane ARF ( KMP )

ok,now I have one!When I saw her first in a Thread here,I thought,man,I will have one.The first airbrushed ARF Warbird,with some rivets and panel-lines.Price including shipping and custom fees to Germany around 650 bucks.Not really cheap but also not very expensive.But then I saw, that some guys in this forum were writing about poor quality of this kits ( f.e. Thread: KMP= garbage? )and decided to stop thinking about a fast to build warbird.
2 weeks ago I saw her again in the shop of : http://www.eurolight.aero/,and after talking to the owner , he said, that the manufactor improved the quality ( maybe after the bad reputation in the fantastic rc-universe.So I ordered one,It arrived 3 days later for unbelievable 296,- Euros, means around 255,-$ !!!!
OK,some impressions from me ( my 5 cents)

Quality of fuselage very well,very nice finish,very stable bulkheads,rudder and fin also.
Wings okay,but not so perfect,f.e. some waves in sheeting,nice airbrush work but You´ll see the shadow of a pen( think the made lines before brushing). No idea how to join the inner and outer flaps together.
Middle section looks very scale,the dihedrals comes in the outer wings,pretty nice.
The retracts area seems to be very stable,and You can look into the wings , seems to be glued very carefully(only a few parts need to be re glued,maybe I will put some fiberglass in it.
Not so nice the retracts,I decided to recheck all parts,needs some sandpaper and some refitting to make it work.
Don´t think that it will stay on pressure for a long time,but 15 minutes for a flight will be okay,if You loose pressure,the gear comes down,so doesn´t matter.

Decals are very nice done and scale,they show a Hurricane MK I ,N2359, YB J of 17 Sqn.Debden,September 1940

I´m in hope that I will get a very fast to build warbird,( my DB-Hurricane is now in the last 10 percent of building time,think 50 ours to go.) I will use a 120 OS Surpass with pump,and if it flies pretty I will do some more scale finish on this bird,like weathering.
If here´s anyone who has build or flown these kit,I would be very happy for any ideas.
Thanks in advance
Andy
Greetings to Greg Thomas,Tom Verstappen.BobH and all the other nice guys
Old 06-18-2004, 01:41 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Hawker Hurricane ARF ( KMP )

Sounds good.....

Can you take some pictures of it ?
Old 06-21-2004, 04:21 AM
spitty

maybe in future,don´t have a digicam,but if you want You can ckeck the ( sorry,now corrected link)

http://www.eurolight.aero/

the did a lot of pics of this bird.

Are there no Pilots in this forum who have flown one yet?

Regards
Andy
Old 06-30-2004, 07:22 AM
spitty

Good News ( after the discussion about the poor quality of these kits ))
I opened the cover of the wings in the retract and wheel area,and what can I say? Very stable , clean and nice construction, maybe 1/2 inch Plywood for the u/c bearers,well,I think they did a good job.( when I think about the pictures of the Seafury.....)
So will keep You advised and would be more than happy for opinions of Pilots who did there maiden flight
Old 06-30-2004, 08:38 AM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having trouble reading GERMAN
what is the wingspan of your plane
Old 06-30-2004, 09:34 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was, sprechen Sie nicht Deutsches?

Try here then; http://www.kmp.ca/rcpics/hurricanespecs.htm
Old 06-30-2004, 09:33 PM
CHEETAH AIRCRAFT
Banned

Old 07-01-2004, 09:31 AM
spitty

Hey John,she´s really a Pretty , and spending 50 hours for a nice warbird isn´t that much.Think,the plane will be ready to go ( or ready to destroy) after 25 hours of building time,if she goes pretty good I will spent some more hours to do some details and weathering. s seen on Your nice pictures
OK,it will never be an scale aircraft f.e like my DB Hurry with around 2500 rivets and all these stuff or all the other fantastic birds seen in this forum ,but all the guys here knows:If such an airplane crashes,You
are so unbelievable sad

:How does she fly? Is CG correct as statet in the plans?
Please give us a flight report
Regards
Andy
Old 07-02-2004, 04:56 PM
ARTF

Ah, nice to see the designer with his aircraft! (that's the prototype IIRC with Fiber Glass wings)

The new KMP warbirds are being designed by him in conjunction with the UK distributer (www.ytinternational.co.uk). The owner of which (Wilson Li) has been making trips out to the factory to get the quality issues sorted!

Mind you, you'd be lucky to get one round here now.. Sold out and the next batch in is almost sold!

Will
Old 07-04-2004, 10:27 PM
CHEETAH AIRCRAFT
Banned

COOL!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Canuck1

Hey, I may be interested in this bird too!! A couple pics would be great of this plane. I was wondering if an OS .91 FX (2 stroke) would be suitable for this plane?

Craig
Old 09-09-2004, 09:40 AM
spitty

Hey Craig,

I think,Your OS 2 Stroke will be more than suitable for this plane,I´m planning the OS 120 III with a Pump,the Plane will be
around 11-12 pounds , so that isn´t that much.
I own a Spitfire MK IX (68 inches , 13 pounds!!) , powered by an old but wonderfull running Enja120 Fourstroke-not that
much Power,but long and nice takeoff-runs and it will fly at scalespeed.
I have just installed the fu..k´n Retracts,think they are stable enough to handle the weight ( the complete airplane is nice and solid)
but You have to check the retracts before.
My ones didn`t secure in up or down position,cause the aluminium-block(where the Wire-Struts are in) hits the ends of the gearunit.
So You have to sand the block to make him smaller.Now it will secure in both positions.
Hope,maidenflight of my Hurry will be in around 3 weeks,will keep You updated
Regards
Andy
Old 09-09-2004, 10:59 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm planning to take pic's as I go, but need to finish up pressent project first. Should be ready to start by this Monday 13Sept04). Untill then here are some pic's of the individual parts.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/KMP_...2125053/tm.htm

Joe
Old 09-11-2004, 12:54 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good looking plane! Anybody have an opinion about putting a Ryobi 31 cc gas engine in this plane? Way too much? Would it fit?
Old 09-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the Ryobi will fit. I have the KMP Hurricane and was going to put an MVVS 1.6. Too much of the cowl would have to be cut away. I went with a Saito 120 and was able to completely enclose the muffler. The valve covers and around 1/4 of the engine is out in the open. Looks very nice. Good luck.
Fred
Old 09-12-2004, 04:57 AM
Woody 51

Best motor for the Hurricane would be one of the new RCV',s either a .90 or 120.

They can swing a scale sized 3 blade prop and better still, you won't have to cut any of the cowl away.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with the RCV 120SP because the 90SP will be underpowered. The problem will be finding large multi-blade props for it with high pitch.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:10 AM
Woody 51

Good advice Richard.

I am sure that Les Bolenhagen (Bolly Props) could probably assist with a scale type prop.

I think that it is only a matter of time before the major R/C prop manufacturers figure that those using RCV engines in scale models, will be demanding more scale like props and this in turn will open a new niche market.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:45 PM
slyms

I don't believe it... That Ian Redshaw's got his face on here as well!
For those who don't know, he's the "Crusty the Clown" lookalike holding the Hurricane.

Should have seen the Photoshop'ed versions of these when I did the box labels...
What's it worth Ian to not post them?

Joking apart Ian is one of the best scale modellers I know, even if he is a vegetarian... Take a look at his 1/3rd scale DH2 in one of the recent english comics!
Old 10-07-2004, 11:11 AM
snap232

Spitty,

Did you say around $255.00 dollars? Their add says $399.00.

Where can I get one for less?

Ray
Old 10-07-2004, 12:51 PM
spitty

sorry Snap,check http://www.eurolight.aero/ and they sell her for 289,-€,means around 350 Bucks,without shipping and fees,so maybe it´s better You search for the little fighter in the US

My one will need only 2 hours of work to go, I spent around 50 hours including repairing the retracts and installing the Tailwheel on the Scale-Position

Regards

aNDY