Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Twinman flys the VQ P-61 Blackwidow Arf

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Twinman flys the VQ P-61 Blackwidow Arf

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 08:00 AM
Paul Grubich
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twinman flys the VQ P-61 Blackwidow Arf

RC Warbirds reporter and multi engine guru, Twinman, was one of the lucky few that got to fly the new VQ P-61 Arf prototype. His pictures and video of this great flying twin fighter are now up at www.rcwarbirds.com

Twinman says this one is a keeper and due to an unexpected turn of events he even got to fly it with one engine out!

Picture of one engine landing:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56250.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	161123  
Old 08-07-2004, 06:11 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Twinman flys the VQ P-61 Blackwidow Arf

Paul Grubich
".....he even got to fly it with one engine out!"
Hands still shaking.
Don't let Paul fool you. He beats me to do these things. Life is good in Houston. Morris Hobbies, VQ and now Cedar Hobbies. There are a couple of electric shops and a new supplier I have heard about. Got enough to handle now with fuelers though.
Twinman
Old 08-07-2004, 07:32 PM
josephair

those vq models wouln't be so bad if they didn't have that rubber shelf paper covering and that ugly wheathering
Old 08-07-2004, 08:13 PM
twinman

Default Twinman flys the VQ P-61 Blackwidow Arf

josephair
Talked to Mike over at VQ about your concern. You want an ARC? You will be able to order it. I am not sure of what plasic covering is offered that will allow printing of panel lines and details. Got any ideas, and I will pass on, or you can email him directly.
The plane I flew was an ARC originally. Mike did a much better job of covering than I can believe me, so that leaves, at least me, with the stock covering. For the real scale guys, I supposed you could glass and paint. Personally, that would be beautiful, and I suppose time normally spent building can now be spent detailing, but way beyond my skills, patience, and allowable time.
Hope this helps.
Twinman
Old 08-07-2004, 08:59 PM
rcflyertwo
My Feedback: (3)

[8D]Hey can you still get VQ models in the USA??? I had heard they are no longer importing them here, I would love to get a Machi 205!!! Please let me know if I can get one thanks Butch in Niagara Falls NY
Old 08-07-2004, 09:17 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.vqmodelaircraft.com/index.html
Old 08-07-2004, 11:16 PM
twinman

VQ headquarters are in Houston for the US.
Twinman
Old 08-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

when is the p 61 expected for release?
Old 08-08-2004, 06:42 AM
twinman

I cannot speak directly for VQ, but of course I am bugging them to. While the Prototype, to me, looks and flies well. They are going to make many changes to aid assembly and detail. Without promise, target is Thanksgiving.
Twinman
Old 08-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Terror Dactyl

I guess that I should jump in here about now. The So Worthy One (Twinman convinced the VQ guys to let me have the sticks for a little while, and yes TM threatened to snatch me the rest of the way bald if I tried an inverted flat spin with the prototype.

I have to say that it was a joy to fly. The roll rate is good and I now dont have any problems with the spoilerons and aileron coupling. I found in a wide aileron turn that I did not even have to add elevator and only at about 45 degrees and more, of bank, did I have to start adding elevator in the last quadrant of a 180 degree turn.

I had notice that no one had done what appeared to be any kind of stall testing, so I put it at about 1/3 throttle and started pulling up till when it did finally did stall one wing came down first but it was so soft that by the time it was back to level the wings were level (I did give a little corrective aileron in the opposite direction) and it started flying again with no noticeable nose below the wing indication or snappiness.

I would think that it will only come in two coverings, which are black and none, remember this is a night fighter. I guess that a silver could be argued.

This bird flew good on the sticks. It was typical of non fully aerobatic birds,but it did not feel sluggish or slow to respond to the stick.

It only took a trip around the field once to feel comfortable flying this visual profile (this one is all black)

I again want to thank the VQ guys and Twinman for letting me have a go at it.

BTW these guys know that if I had found that there was something I did not like I would say it as well so here goes:

Put my name back on the flat spin test roster..
Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 PM
p51f4f
My Feedback: (81)

Hey Twinman

After reading your exploits and viewing the site. I just ordered the P-61. What a christmas this will be. it has always been one of my favorite planes of all time.

Les