Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

stuka ARF (uugggg)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

stuka ARF (uugggg)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 03:16 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuka ARF (uugggg)

I know, I know... ARF's suck... BUT they do serve a purpose or two...

I have bought my first arf last week (got it Tuesday, flew it Sunday) and it finally got me back into flying. Before this I hadn't flown all year... Thats a plus! Also, it has inspired me to get building on my TF P-47 Gold Ed kit. Needed proper motivation.

Anywho, I wanna get a warbird arf to fly until I get my P-47 done (which probably won't be till next Spring). Was looking at the GP one on Tower for $250. Doesn't Hanger 9 or someone else make a lower cost model? I don't plan on decking it out, just want a warbird to fly. More motivation
Old 08-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: stuka ARF (uugggg)

I understand where your coming from. You could do a search with the rc yellow pages at www.rcyellowpages.com
As far as price keep your eyes open at any local swap meets, ebay (maybe) and the classified adds here. Never know what you may find.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

My LHS, Colpar Hobbies, has a Kyosho Corsair on sale for $165, check out there website.

http://colpar.com/

Joe
Old 08-18-2004, 05:31 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What's so bad about ARF's? Most of them are very nice fliers, fairly scale, and they give you something to fly while you're working on your masterpiece. Not to mention they're ez to replace, usually, so you can do things you wouldn't dream of doing with a built up model.

Andy
Old 08-18-2004, 08:42 AM
*Crash*Johnson*

Before 2 weeks ago, I had the mentality that ARF buyers were takin the easy way out...
After buying one, I will never bad mouth ARF's again. Hell, 90 bucks for the plane (Scratch and Dent) and another 10 for misc stuff and I was flying in a week.

It's not the pride of my fleet (oddly it IS my fleet at the moment) but she flies good and is fun. AND got me motivated to finish my masterpiece.

by the way, I may check out that Corsair ARF...
Old 08-19-2004, 08:02 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What's so bad about ARF's? Most of them are very nice fliers, fairly scale, and they give you something to fly while you're working on your masterpiece. Not to mention they're ez to replace, usually, so you can do things you wouldn't dream of doing with a built up model.
ARF's can melt the brain of the people, turning would-be-great-builders-and-flyers into souless zombies that hopelessy try to control pseudo-scale replicas of fashionable aircraft. Much better is convert to the dark side .....
Old 08-20-2004, 06:27 AM
SpitfireMKI
My Feedback: (2)

Arfs don't suck, ego's do though...............................

Don't mind me, just cruzin fer a bruzin'
Old 08-20-2004, 07:54 AM
Messerschmitt
My Feedback: (28)

I crack on ARF's a lot, mostly in good humor. Personally, I don't care for the because every one I have seen is lacking in quality. What I mean by that is, an ARF will never be built to my personal standards. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, i.e. I just finnished a scale plane & got in a big hurry on the finish, now I'm not happy with it!
I don't know if any of you have ever torn into an ARF, but I have reworked several for other people & I am always surprised at the corners that are cut during construction. For example, I torn into a Lanier P-47 ARF's wing & found the grain in the spar webb sheeting was running parrallel with the spars (big no, no) it was cracked the entire length of the wing. It was just a matter of time be fore his wing gave up.
Arf's do have their place. The name of the game is flying, I mean you build to fly right? What ever gets you in the air!

Mike
Old 08-20-2004, 08:29 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Crash,

The title of your thread is misleading. I was expecting you to bad mouth ARFs, but it was quite the contrary.

Personally, I love ARFs. With a 50-60 Hour work week, wife & kids, house/yard to maintain... It still allows me to keep active in RC flying!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:10 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

work and a girlfriend (soon to be fiance) keep me busy so ARF's are the way to go for me. I have little kit projects for super long term goals that my flying buddy and I are into but if we did kits only i'd be lucky to have 1 flying plane a year. Life always get in the way of fun

I plan on the WM Mustang (60 size) and the GP Stuka for the spring flying. Both look pretty good and quality is fair for the price.

good luck and share some pics with us!

matt
Old 08-20-2004, 04:01 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

ORIGINAL: oriole

Crash,

The title of your thread is misleading. I was expecting you to bad mouth ARFs, but it was quite the contrary.

Personally, I love ARFs. With a 50-60 Hour work week, wife & kids, house/yard to maintain... It still allows me to keep active in RC flying!
It's not that I like ARF's, but I have realized they do serve a purpose. Like Diablo and other's have mentioned, they are decent for flying without the time required to build a kit. I think mostly old people don't like them cause they had it soo hard back in the day.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:12 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

100% Correct. althought ARF's are not perfect as we want, they help us concentrate a little more in our families and work. and that's a lot more important.

Rgds, Enrique.

aaaaaggghhhh. I am turning into a zombie!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:02 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

I love to fly... Don't have much time to build... Arfs... After I'm done flying at the fun fly shows haven't had anyone come over and say that arf sucks!!! Most say who built that plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99865.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	166005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17012.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	166006  
Old 08-20-2004, 11:04 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45532.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	166008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86372.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	166009  
Old 08-21-2004, 04:17 PM
bigchap

i have neither the time or inclination to build at the moment so artf's suit me just fine.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:27 PM
BadBart
My Feedback: (1)

Crash...the GP Stuka is a great flying aircraft but does tend to nose over quite easily on grass. I think there are a few threads relating to this particular bird on RCU. As far as the Great ARF Controversy...I'm surprised the wing didn't snap off of the first kit I built and flew. Some of my ARF's are of better construction
I love ARF's, kits, whatever...as long as I can fly it!
Pat
Old 08-21-2004, 07:12 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

Thanks BadBart!

I did just go for the GP Texan, but the Stuka will be added to "the list". Got a P-47 to finish, and perhaps I'll tackle the stuka kit... hhhmmmm
Just too many planes, not enough time / money.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:37 PM
EVOL
My Feedback: (2)

i also have the GP stuka and it is a great flying airplane. it will nose over if you try to do a wheel landing on long grass. a big tip though..........set all the throws to the max. a lot of people blasted this plane for not having aileron control but i found that to be untrue. it does roll slow but i think everyone nowdays wants to throw a corvette engine in all their planes and hoover it. i got an O.S. 91 FS in mine and it has plenty of power.

as far as ARF's go.........there is nothing i like more than a cold witer day i can relax and work on a kit and whach movies all day but in the summer i want to fly and not be sitting at my workshop. i love building but if you do your research you can find a very good quality ARF that will keep your attention when you just dont have the time to build. im getting my MEI license right now and i needed a new plane but i study all day and work 2nd shift. i bought the GP Cub ARF and it is sweet. 21st centry fabric and looks great. good luck.