Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

World Models .60 Mustang modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

World Models .60 Mustang modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:01 AM
marks90004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models .60 Mustang modifications

I just ordered a .60 Mustang Petie 2nd from World Models.
Is there modifications I should know about that will be needed?
What retract servo's would you recommend for this plane?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:06 AM
mnmills2
Banned

Default RE: World Models .60 Mustang modifications

I used all futaba standard ball bearing servos. Nothing special. I also used a 91FX vice the 61. It will be VERY marginal under 61 power. The block size of the two engines are identical, in fact I believe the 91 is even the same weight if not lighter. The retracts used a standard retract servo with a long arm. They include some of those adjustable servo connectors for your push rods. I dont recommend theirs. They are threaded on the back side and mine kept coming off. With the larger engine you will need at least the 14oz tank. I used a Dubro and it fit with minimal reshaping of the front former. I used a pitts muffler and it worked great so I didnt have to hack away a lot of the cowl. I pulled the retracts out and used epoxy with a small brush and painted the inner portion of the wing with the epoxy just to beef it up a little. Mine balanced perfectly...no weight added. It seems to be a great flying plane. I only have 3 flights on mine.

Mike
Old 08-20-2004, 11:09 AM
marks90004

Thanks so much for the information. It's going to be my first warbird. Until now, I've flown aerobatics which most designs don't require retracts so I've never had to deal it.
What retract servo did you use? My LHS tells me to use the retract servo's from Hitec. Nothing special about it. I'm just wondering if I need to use the higher torque servo's for the retracts like others have done in the rcuniverse threads.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:43 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Could you give us more updates on the engine selection and performance? I think mine is coming in next week for my birthday Thinking 91fx maybe.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WM are one of the best Arfs around. I have a few. You need to "bullet proof" the retract mounts. Regular epoxy mixed with GP milled fiberglass and just slop it all around the inside area and do the same with the inside and outside corners of the firewall. Contol horns are good but the clevis's should be changed along with control rods.

Mustangs are rough picking and engine for. You really want to keep the sleek front end. Son your choices can be limited. Inverted fourstroke is one option. INverted two stoke is a crap shoot due to spacing for a muffler- I run either an inverted four stroke or a 2 stroke side ways with a pitts stule muffler. Go with at least a .90 on that size plane.

Now I have many different planes with retracts. You will find many crybabies who say the retracts are weak. Well they either cannot land or----they are landing on grass. Grass and retracts are not a good mix. Nothing wrong with the retracts, just gras is rough on them.

Also warbirds of any size do not have the lower end wing loading as aerobatic or stik stuff and they stall very easy. That engine quits, your going down. I have no throttle management onmy planes. One I take off its wide open until its time to come in. Now I suggest youconsider a Super Tiger G90 sideways or at least a 100 fourstroke. Hitec retract servo should be fine. Good luck and let me now if I can help.

ORIGINAL: marks90004

I just ordered a .60 Mustang Petie 2nd from World Models.
Is there modifications I should know about that will be needed?
What retract servo's would you recommend for this plane?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:58 AM
marks90004

Cyclic Hardover

Thanks so much for all the information. Looks like I need to do more modifications than I thought. I'm glad you responded. I was thinking of a YS-140. Do you think that might be too much even if I reinforced the firewall with ply?

I have a SuperTigre-90 and a Saito-100, but I want a rocket. I know a YS-110 would haul it fairly fast. I want to know what's the largest engine I could put on this plane without it flying like a brick. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:59 AM
mnmills2
Banned

As I said I put the 91FX in mine. It flies great, but its not phenomenal. I used a 15x8prop on it. I used the standard clevis/control rods that came with the kit. I re enforced my gear, but just used straight epoxy for it no milled glass. I think the 110 would be a great engine selection myself. Also, dont over tighten the spinner screw. Its kind of a cheesy spinner and you will pull the head all the way through the hole if you over tighten it. I had to fix mine. I used the vibration dampner on the engine mounts. It works good. Just make sure the motor mount is not upside down. It sounds weird but it can be confusing with the circles on the top. I thought those were like a seating point for the washer/nut on the backside...but they are really the mounts for the vibe dampner on the top. You will need a new tank and make sure it is not one of the angled top tanks with the stopper at an angle. I used just and Expert retract servo...nothing special.

Mike
Old 08-23-2004, 03:38 AM
marks90004

Hey Mnmills,

Thanks for the info. I had one of those angled tanks on my Bipe. I hated it. Positioning wasn't easy.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:43 AM
mnmills2
Banned

Okay,

I dont recommend the cheap expert retract servo. I took it flying yesterday...taxiing out for takoff my gear collapsed. I broke my prop and everything. The servo stripped the gear. So I figured they were cheap Ill go buy a new one. Well, I bought it and took it home. I installed it and that servo flat out didnt work at all!! I guess you get what you pay for.

Mike
Old 08-23-2004, 10:14 AM
marks90004

ORIGINAL: mnmills

Okay,

I dont recommend the cheap expert retract servo. I took it flying yesterday...taxiing out for takoff my gear collapsed. I broke my prop and everything. The servo stripped the gear. So I figured they were cheap Ill go buy a new one. Well, I bought it and took it home. I installed it and that servo flat out didnt work at all!! I guess you get what you pay for.

Mike
What servo would you recommend..... JR,Hitec, Futuba, Airtronics..... etc?
Old 08-23-2004, 11:11 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a Hitec on our WM Miss America .40 stang. Worked great. RE: the comment about "if your gear are bending...you suck at landing"...I suppose that if you have only absolutely textbook landings on smooth pavement that the gear might not bend. This is the real world and the nylon and piano wire gear are very weak. If Cyclic has never bent his gear the I applaud him...as he is certainly the only one...ever.

Great airplane though. Ours got shot down real bad. Nosed in at full throttle. Really like WM's hardware.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:33 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Marks, I am running an OS 91 Pumped Surpass NIB with a Slimline inverted Pitts muffler so the only think sticking out of the cowl will be at the bottom and that will be the valve cover and the exhaust stacks. As for props I am going to start with an APC 15x10 and a Graupner 15x8 and 14x7 some wood props like Top Flight 15x8 14x6 I am going to try a couple to see which fly's the best with the Surpass.
I am installing Robart retracts 551s that are Robo Strut ready bored for the Robo Struts to fit the retracts so I am using 653 L&R offset Robo struts so the plane will look nicer and land a bit smoother. I do agree with the post above about people not being able to land and wiping out their retracts. But an oleo strut is always nice to have both for function and the cool factor. I am going to strengthen the retract plates and ribs they are epoxied too. I am going to build my Mustang this week so I will post some pictures later on this week, I hope you guys do as well?
Viper
Old 08-23-2004, 11:07 PM
marks90004

ORIGINAL: viper21

Marks, I am running an OS 91 Pumped Surpass NIB with a Slimline inverted Pitts muffler so the only think sticking out of the cowl will be at the bottom and that will be the valve cover and the exhaust stacks. As for props I am going to start with an APC 15x10 and a Graupner 15x8 and 14x7 some wood props like Top Flight 15x8 14x6 I am going to try a couple to see which fly's the best with the Surpass.
I am installing Robart retracts 551s that are Robo Strut ready bored for the Robo Struts to fit the retracts so I am using 653 L&R offset Robo struts so the plane will look nicer and land a bit smoother. I do agree with the post above about people not being able to land and wiping out their retracts. But an oleo strut is always nice to have both for function and the cool factor. I am going to strengthen the retract plates and ribs they are epoxied too. I am going to build my Mustang this week so I will post some pictures later on this week, I hope you guys do as well?
Viper

Sounds like you've got it all planned out. I'm still waiting for mine in the mail. Do you think the preinstalled retracts that come with the ARF would fair well on a paved runway. I'm trying to determine whether or not it's worth doing the retract modifications you've done to your arf. The field I fly in has a pretty smooth runway. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:20 PM
marks90004

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

Had a Hitec on our WM Miss America .40 stang. Worked great. RE: the comment about "if your gear are bending...you suck at landing"...I suppose that if you have only absolutely textbook landings on smooth pavement that the gear might not bend. This is the real world and the nylon and piano wire gear are very weak. If Cyclic has never bent his gear the I applaud him...as he is certainly the only one...ever.

Great airplane though. Ours got shot down real bad. Nosed in at full throttle. Really like WM's hardware.
Sorry for your loss. I just had a radio hit myself 2 weeks ago. I loss signal on my aerobatic. I rolled into a turn, then I got no elevator response. It did the spiral of death. One good thing came out of it. I had a good excuse to order this Mustang!

Did you use the HS-75BB retract servo? I'm wondering if it'll handle my .60 WM stang. Should I use a stronger retract servo than the standard since it's a bigger plane? I don't have any experience with retracts, so please excuse me if I'm asking questions that might have obvious answers.
Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:35 PM
viper21

Mark, well I haven't used the stock retracts but you shouldn't have any problems on a paved surface. I am installing the Robarts because I want the Robo Strut mainly and the Robart retracts are bored for the Robo Strut. As for mechanical retracts I have used them in several planes. You should buy a decent retract servo I have used cheap to real nice on the low end price side but a decent servo is the Cirrus retract servo. You have to remember your asking the servo to pull two 3 inch or so diameter wheels up into the wing and the wire so you need a pretty stout servo like a Futaba or Airtronics I have a couple of them one is even proportional. I understand that JR makes a killer retract servo.
As long as you use the correct connectors and pushrods (4-40) as long as the retracts are setup properly they usually work great. So yes I think the retracts would work on paved surfaces with a decent servo,
And yep I need to see how the muffler will fit on the engine and plane, I am just getting my shop reorganizid so I have opened the shipping box to open my Mustang but I will tomorrow or so.
Hope this helped.
Joe
PS: I learned allot about retracts from when I flying pattern in the 90's[]
Old 08-23-2004, 11:52 PM
viper21

Mark, I left out the Hitec retract servo they are good servos and should work well with your Mustang I would say any retract servo with more than 90 oz of torque should work fine.
Viper
Old 08-24-2004, 05:33 AM
mnmills2
Banned

Mark,

I replaced my REALLY cheap retract servo with that Hitec BB one you mentioned. Works fine now.

Mike
Old 08-24-2004, 07:15 AM
marks90004

Viper and Mnmills

Thanks so much for the information guys. The JR retract servo is more than double the price of the Hitec one.
For the most part, it's been my experience that you get what you pay for. I'm just wondering if the JR ($75) would
just be overkill.

If you guys say the Hitec should work fine, I guess I'll go with that. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:22 PM
mnmills2
Banned

I went with the Hitec....only because that was all the hobby shop had. In my opinion, the JR is much better...but you will pay if you go that route. The Hitec seems to be working great in mine and in hind sight I would probably use the Hitec again if I had to do it over again.

Mike
Old 08-25-2004, 05:52 AM
marks90004

ORIGINAL: mnmills

I went with the Hitec....only because that was all the hobby shop had. In my opinion, the JR is much better...but you will pay if you go that route. The Hitec seems to be working great in mine and in hind sight I would probably use the Hitec again if I had to do it over again.

Mike

Thanks for the opinion. I have a hitec Radio and have had pretty good experience with it their products. I think I'll go with it.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:03 PM
MustangAce

WoW!! I just got Petie in. Happy Birthday to me!! My first warbird. Boy is it saaweeeet. I never realized ARFs were this good. Holes pre drilled, control surafaces hinged already. My girlfriend asked me if I was going to fly it this weekend??!

Must wait on the YS110 ! ? What do you think guys? a good fit/match? I here Tower will have them soon!!
Old 08-27-2004, 03:05 AM
marks90004

ORIGINAL: MustangAce

WoW!! I just got Petie in. Happy Birthday to me!! My first warbird. Boy is it saaweeeet. I never realized ARFs were this good. Holes pre drilled, control surafaces hinged already. My girlfriend asked me if I was going to fly it this weekend??!

Must wait on the YS110 ! ? What do you think guys? a good fit/match? I here Tower will have them soon!!

I'm waiting on what YS I want to get also. Try Central Hobbies.com, you can get YS-engines cheaper there. I'm debating whether or not the YS-140 sport will be too much for this plane.
As far as I know, the YS-110 would be a great match. But on the otherhand, the 140 will rocket through the air.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The YS 110 will provide this plane with plenty of power, extreme speed, and unlimited vertical. The YS 140 will be way overkill. Plus, you will only get around five minutes of flying time with the 140 since the plane doesn't have enough room for a large fuel tank. You might even need to add tons of lead to the tail to get the plane to balance. The plane will be a rocket if a 14x11 or 14x12 prop is used with the YS 110.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Central Hobbies should have the YS 110 in stock since I recently got my fifth one from there. If they don't have one, try Chief Aircraft or Hobby Barn.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:09 PM
viper21

My Poor P51 has to settle for an OS Pumped 91 Surpass II but its a new one though I would get the YS 110 but I am going to spend the money on my big Top Flight P51 kit that I am building this Fall/Winter. I am thinking about a ZDZ 50 or 60 with the scale working exhaust manifolds[X(] So I am flying what I have because I would rather spend the money on my big Mustang later on.
Viper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.