Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/8 Super Scale F4U-1D Corsair Cockpit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/8 Super Scale F4U-1D Corsair Cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 11:24 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 Super Scale F4U-1D Corsair Cockpit

ORIGINAL: fyredog

Holy Cow Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are the decals from the printer paper water slide decals? Dion, Thats killer Man! It looks So Killer. Is the Canopy going to be a slider by servo? or a pop up? Unreal! Keep up the killer work Man!

Fyre

Glad you like it so far! I only use 1 decal, and that's behind the seat. Paper works great for the rest. I'm not building another 1/8 Corsair, but my 1/6 will have the canopy open when the flaps are lowered, but that's another story! Just have a few small parts to go on this thing and some tweaking on the tooling and I'll be done except for the instructions. I really don't want to have to make them but some pointers are definitely needed at least! We'll se how the victim does when I pick a person to assemble one right here in this thread!

Remember anyone that wants to get the first F4U-1D cockpit for free can PM me, all you pay is shipping. The catch is you have to assemble it when you get it and post pictures on this thread! People who go to buildings all day and don't have time don't apply!

Not long now and you'll see the whole thing complete...

Dion
Old 09-18-2004, 07:55 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dion I will buy one from you , will it fit the H9 corair ?
Let me know I will give you my emale address
Thanks
Lou
Old 09-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyonysusbacchus,
Looks pretty good, but not big enough for working guages... A 1/5th cockpit would be sooooo
much nicer as the Elite Forces Action Guys don't fit well in the 1/8th models. Keep up the good work.

"Keep 'Em Flying"!
Flak
Old 09-18-2004, 11:26 AM
John in Boston

Guys, I saw this in today's New york Times. Condolences to all who knew him, and, on a happier note, fans of the F4U Corsair should check out what LCOL Bolt had to say about the plane...see his words near the end of this obituary!

Lt. Col. Jack Bolt, 83, Only Marine to Be an Ace in 2 Wars, Dies
By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN

Published: September 18, 2004

Lt. Col. Jack Bolt, who flew with the Marines' Black Sheep Squadron in World War II and was the only Marine pilot to be an ace in two wars, died Sept. 8 at a hospital in Tampa, Fla. He was 83 and lived in New Smyrna Beach, Fla.

The cause was leukemia, his son, Robert, said.

Colonel Bolt, flying a Corsair fighter, shot down six Japanese Zero fighters in the Solomon Islands campaign during the Black Sheep Squadron's three months of aerial combat, from late 1943 to early 1944. Piloting an F-86 Sabre jet, he downed six Soviet-built MIG's in 1953 while attached to an Air Force squadron in the Korean War.

Colonel Bolt was one of seven American pilots to have downed at least five enemy planes, the standard for an ace, in both World War II and the Korean War.

John Franklin Bolt was born in Laurens, S.C., grew up in Sanford, Fla., and entered military service in 1941 after attending the University of Florida for two years. In 1943, he joined a newly reorganized Marine Fighting Squadron 214, which became known as the Black Sheep Squadron because its members were outsiders of sorts, recently arrived or already in the South Pacific but without membership in a unit.

"We were a bunch of replacements that nobody else wanted," Colonel Bolt told The Times-Picayune of New Orleans at the squadron's 50th anniversary reunion.

But the unit, commanded by Maj. Gregory Boyington, known as Pappy, a leading air ace when he was shot down and captured in January 1944 and a Medal of Honor winner, gained renown supporting the Marines in their battles up the Solomons chain. Its pilots had more than 90 confirmed downings of Japanese planes.

After achieving his six "kills" flying out of bases in the Solomons, Colonel Bolt flew from the aircraft carrier Block Island in 1945. In the Korean War, he downed six enemy planes while attached to the Air Force's 39th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. He gained his final "kills" on July 11, 1953, when he shot down two MIG-15's on a mission near the Manchurian border although low on fuel.

Colonel Bolt retired from the Marines in 1962. He was awarded the Navy Cross and three Distinguished Flying Crosses.

He received a bachelor's degree from the University of Maryland while in the military, then graduated from the University of Florida Law School in 1970. He was an associate dean there and practiced law for two decades in New Smyrna Beach.

In addition to his son, Robert, of Tampa, he is survived by his wife, Dorothy; a daughter, Barbara Bolt, of Tampa; a brother, T. Bruce Bolt, of Winter Park, Fla.; and two grandchildren.

In the 1970's, the NBC television series "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep," later called "Black Sheep Squadron," dramatized the exploits of Colonel Bolt's unit.

Colonel Bolt called the Black Sheep Squadron a "great team" in an interview with Frank E. Walton for the book "Once They Were Eagles," a history of the unit, but he had special praise for his Corsair fighter. "In my opinion, the Corsair was the real hero of the Pacific war," he said. "The squadron got the credit because Americans like people to be heroes, not weapons or weapon systems."

Asked for the key to his prowess in the air, Colonel Bolt said, "You simply want to shoot down airplanes more than anything else in the world."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58773.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	174596  
Old 09-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Flak

I'm sure Jack and Pappy are sharing some great memories together this very moment. I don't recall ever meeting Jack, but I met Pappy several times, always with fond reserve. I shall toast
a round of Weed to their memory tomorrow at the setting of the sun and thank them for doing their part in the fight for freedom..."Lest we forget".

"Keep 'Em Flying"!
Flak
Old 09-21-2004, 03:26 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: LDM

Dion I will buy one from you , will it fit the H9 corair ?
Let me know I will give you my emale address
Thanks
Lou
Yes it should fit just fine!

Dyonysusbacchus,
Looks pretty good, but not big enough for working guages... A 1/5th cockpit would be sooooo
much nicer as the Elite Forces Action Guys don't fit well in the 1/8th models. Keep up the good work.

"Keep 'Em Flying"!
Flak
I am going to build an 82" Royal Corsair next, and yes I will make a cockpit for that one. I bought the Elite Force pilot for the project to, so I'll make sure he fits! I'm just considering if I want to post my progress on the bigger one on this thread or any thread for that matter.

Thank you for that post John, always room to honor the veterans.

I'm almost done with the cockpit, some small details have slowed me down. The port panel is completely done except for a placard in the middle. The starboard side needs the boxes and things in the middle, I did finish my oxygen bottle, just need to make the flexible oxygen hose.

The cockpit can be dark, so I thought why not just turn on the cockpit lights, that's what the pilot would do![8D] So yes I installed cockpit lights, they are done on the port side. I used grain of rice bulbs, very easy to do. My Corsair has a sliding canopy so I'll just use a switch in the cockpit to turn them off and on. I have 6 kits made but no instructions! So I stopped making them, never know if or when I'll ever get the instructions done so why bother

Dion

Name:	Jh15203.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	175590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41576.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	175591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60373.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	175592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32091.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	175593  
Old 09-21-2004, 03:42 PM
fyredog

Incredible........No other words come to mind, I am blown away, I just hope I can make mine look 1/100 as good as yours!

Great Job!!!!

Fyre
Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 PM
LDM

Dion , how do I contact you or do I just give you an emial for the info to buy ? Thanks
Old 09-22-2004, 12:37 PM
dionysusbacchus

Thanks Fyre ! It's pretty easy to do, just take your time.

Dion , how do I contact you or do I just give you an emial for the info to buy ? Thanks
If you would like to talk in private please use the PM system! Thanks LDM!

I wanted a functioning 3 point harness, that way I won't have to glue my pilot in![:'(] [8D] I'll do a more complete update some other time.

Dion

Name:	Hf99825.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	175893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71645.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	175894  
Old 09-22-2004, 07:45 PM
SVX

High Luke, Two quick questions. First, The cockpit looks wonderful and I am very excited that you are considering making kits available. Have you decided on a price yet? Ballpark? Second and slightly off topic (my apologies) As far as the lines of the Royal 1/8 th scale Corsair, are they accurate? I remember you mentioned something you changed to make the outline more accurate just can't pinpoint it. (Other than the correction of the tail feathers and wing etc..)
As always, thank-you-much
SVX
Old 09-22-2004, 08:24 PM
dionysusbacchus

Thank you! First question, No! I was thinking of a stripped down version maybe to keep the price lower, I hate to admit it but this one is probably overdone for the mass market! From what I have seen, the 1/8 Royal/Marutaka kit is the most accurate kit or plan available at this time. It did need one change, on the plan it shows a scale canopy but what was provided in the kit is not very good. The cockpit rear former, F-7 is to fat at the top just like the Byron/Iron Bay Corsair. These changes are small and will be done on my 82" Corsair. Of course as you mention the tail feathers are sheeted or solid on the stock kit, easy fix. My next Corsair is going to be a complete example of everything I have learned and know about the Corsair all rolled up into one machine! Won't that be fun?!

Dion

On the pictures below, it may not look like much of a change, but when you add the 1/8" balsa the top gets really fat looking. The original is shown first then my rendition with the small change. I made the cockpit kit so that it would fit both stock size and the modified former. The rest of the formers behind F-7 are correct, the fuselage had a slight bulge out after the canopy.

ORIGINAL: SVX

High Luke, Two quick questions. First, The cockpit looks wonderful and I am very excited that you are considering making kits available. Have you decided on a price yet? Ballpark? Second and slightly off topic (my apologies) As far as the lines of the Royal 1/8 th scale Corsair, are they accurate? I remember you mentioned something you changed to make the outline more accurate just can't pinpoint it. (Other than the correction of the tail feathers and wing etc..)
As always, thank-you-much
SVX

Name:	Ay73551.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	176026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41166.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	176027  
Old 09-23-2004, 01:01 PM
SVX

Very good, thank you.

SVX
Old 10-06-2004, 04:26 PM
voyager_663rd

Hope you and the family are back to normal and all is ok.

Now to business. Luke, just looking for an update on this thread.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:08 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

NEED MORE PICTURES[:@]
Old 10-07-2004, 02:54 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: voyager_663rd

Hope you and the family are back to normal and all is ok.

Now to business. Luke, just looking for an update on this thread.

Thanks voyager, everything is kind of getting back to normal and everyone made it!

Yes I have an update, I have been done with this for a while but then I just went to another project! Sorry about the delay.

Here is what I have: The final "kit" has 12 molded pieces with 28 individual parts on them. See first picture. I made 6 kits and Corsairjock has one of them, I'm really thinking that this kit is for my use and for very limited production.

The next pictures show the finished right hand panel, with lights and all the wire both panels came out a 1/4 ounce each. They could be made lighter without the lights and wire of course. I will post pictures of the completed cockpit in my Corsair at a later time. For now I'll hand the thread over to the person that is going to do an on-line build of one of my kits, this may be a few weeks though.

Hope everyone enjoyed this project, join me on my other thread where I'm building a 1/6 scale Corsair cockpit!!

Dion

Name:	Ay75666.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	180558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33610.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	180559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13146.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	180560  
Old 10-25-2004, 06:07 PM
dionysusbacchus

For those that are interested in what I did here and want to know more about my progress on this you can go to my home page, click on my name, in my profile you can click on my web site.

Coming up with enough kit's and making the instruction manual on line has been a job, good thing I don't do this full time it's to much work! I have lot's more work to do on the web site but you can have a look, first come first served. After the initial run is gone you will have to wait until I make more.

I yanked the old cockpit out of my Royal Corsair #108 that I built last year and am installing the one I'm building for the instruction manual! Just installing the dash with the gun sight adds so much to the looks of the Corsair, something most Corsair's are missing.

A look at the rear armor plate and headrest. First I spray on gloss clear, apply the decal and then use flat clear, works very well.

I'm a little further than what these pictures show, but they give you an idea. The instruments and right side panel are glued on with 3M spray adhesive, very easy and quick.

Thank you... thank you![8D]

Dion

Name:	By76370.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	186632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76846.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	186633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83634.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	186634  
Old 10-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Harpoon

Dion, your building looks splendid as always, put me up for a 1/6 scale version for my BT project. What reference did you use for constructing the cockpit?

I just ordered a 1/8 scale cockpit also for my Marutaka/Royal, hope I was fast enough. LOL

As a big corsair fan myself I by now have 7 or 8 books, drawings from Bob’s scale, original drawings from Vaught and also about 250mb of pictures. But just today I think I found out what the instrument or hole at the top right side of the panel is. All the restored birds usually have new avionics so it’s not to much use to look at them, and most of the miss the gun sight. I think the hole was used to some wiring or heat to the gun sight. Tell me if I am wrong.

It’s very nice to see a web page up again. The old one was priceless as a guide to build corsairs. Thankfully I managed to save all as a pdf before it was bugged down.

And I looking forward to more item’s on the sales list.

Cheers
Harpoon

Name:	Yw68275.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	186667  
Old 10-25-2004, 08:21 PM
dionysusbacchus

Thank you for the complements Sir! I have sent you a PM so we can figure a small detail out!

I used several references, as you I have many pictures on my computer. Jerry Zollman at [link=http://www.bentwings.com/fg1d/fg1d.htm]Vintage Fighters[/link] and his site was a big help, he sent me pictures and was very helpful! I like the Corsair Pilot Manual also, it shows the systems and controls as they were on the early Corsair's. Yes it can be a problem looking at restorations, very confusing! I think you are right on the gunsight thing, it must have been heat. Now if I can figure out a way to get a kit to Norway I'll send you one!

Thanks,

Dion

ORIGINAL: Harpoon

Dion, your building looks splendid as always, put me up for a 1/6 scale version for my BT project. What reference did you use for constructing the cockpit?

I just ordered a 1/8 scale cockpit also for my Marutaka/Royal, hope I was fast enough. LOL

As a big corsair fan myself I by now have 7 or 8 books, drawings from Bob’s scale, original drawings from Vaught and also about 250mb of pictures. But just today I think I found out what the instrument or hole at the top right side of the panel is. All the restored birds usually have new avionics so it’s not to much use to look at them, and most of the miss the gun sight. I think the hole was used to some wiring or heat to the gun sight. Tell me if I am wrong.

It’s very nice to see a web page up again. The old one was priceless as a guide to build corsairs. Thankfully I managed to save all as a pdf before it was bugged down.

And I looking forward to more item’s on the sales list.

Cheers
Harpoon
Old 10-26-2004, 06:22 AM
LDM

I just got my kit -WORTH EVERY PENNY !!!!! I plan on putting it the H9 Corsiar
Old 10-26-2004, 04:30 PM
phayd

Dion, did you change your user pic to your 1/8 scale pappy? I can't tell if that is a real pic or not
Old 10-26-2004, 05:03 PM
dionysusbacchus

Thanks for that plug LDM, let us see the H9 Corsair when you're done! Yours will be much more interesting than the rest!

I just got my kit -WORTH EVERY PENNY !!!!! I plan on putting it the H9 Corsiar

Dion, did you change your user pic to your 1/8 scale pappy? I can't tell if that is a real pic or not
[8D]That's my sculpture on my avatar! Thanks for the compliment! He's 1/6 scale though, a little easier to sculpt than a 1/8 scale guy.

Dion

Name:	Sq46662.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	186970  
Old 10-27-2004, 02:10 AM
fyredog

Absolutely Beautiful!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:33 PM
John in Boston

Luke,

You rock!!! I received my 1/8th scale Corsair cockpit kit in yesterday's mail. What fast service, and wow what a beautiful package.
very, very cool.

Enough words, proof's gotta be in the pudding. I now have one more reason to get in there and build.

Luke, if your work ain't motivational material, nothin' is !!!

John in Boston
Old 10-29-2004, 04:43 PM
dionysusbacchus

Thanks John I'm really glad you enjoy what I do! It's great to be able to share that with others, I can't wait to see what you do with it!!! Man wouldn't that cockpit look good in John's Corsair? Yea!

Here is a picture for this thread that will show how it all looks finished.

ORIGINAL: John Rood

Luke,

You rock!!! I received my 1/8th scale Corsair cockpit kit in yesterday's mail. What fast service, and wow what a beautiful package.
very, very cool.

Enough words, proof's gotta be in the pudding. I now have one more reason to get in there and build.

Luke, if your work ain't motivational material, nothin' is !!!

John in Boston

Name:	Lj22761.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	187930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33626.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	187931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86338.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	187932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69322.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	187933  
Old 11-12-2004, 04:15 AM
fyredog

Luke does this mean you are ready to move on back to your F4U project now? Been a berry berry long time since we seen anything on that work of art!

Fyre

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.