Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Hurricane in detail

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Hurricane in detail

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:54 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: KMP Hurricane in detail

Logged another flight on my Hurricane on Sunday. OS 120 fs stopped after about 3 minutes, of course I was not in a good spot for this to happen, in the middle of an inverted run dead centre, up about 100 feet. Went for our cross strip as it was within gliding distance even though the wind was down the main strip. Overshot the strip, pulled the gear up as it went passed the strip, bellied it in the rough. Only superficial damage to the airscoop.

When i got home I realised I had not checked the clunk line after the sudden stop last week when the gear came out. Sure enough when I checked the clunk was stuck up at the front of the tank. When I did the inverted run, this would have left the clunk high & dry!!! No wonder it stopped. [:'(][>:][]

Cheers
Old 08-30-2006, 09:27 AM
BOLTMAN

Flyfast 1 (Ed)

My aerial mast is based around a piece of square brass tube. It runs up about 2/3 the length of the mast. It also runs through another piece of square tube which is mounted in the top of the fuse, and down to a clip mounted on a lite ply plate across the fuse. This enables me to plug the mast in & remove it as suits.
I then formed around the brass with ply & sanded to shape, sealed, primed & painted. The lug off the back of the mast which carries the aerial is simply cut from some lithoplate, which is glued into a slot in the back of the mast with some Ca.
I don't have the dimensions on hand, they were just scaled of some drawings I was using for reference for the whole project. Let me know if you need some dimensions and I will check & get back to you.
The light in front of the mast I molded myself from a small plug I made and the base plate around the light & mast is the same thin plastic as the light, molded to the shape of the top of the fuse & painted.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Piggymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info in this thread. I`ve been after one of these Hurricanes for a while now, just ordered one yesterday along with a Zenoah G26 engine (should pull it along quite ok i would think). Apart from AC aircraft, another one of my hobbies is Aviation Art, ( Creating pictures from Flight sim screenshots and real background photo`s). Thought you might like this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69478.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	517001  
Old 09-04-2006, 09:15 AM
BOLTMAN

Success at last!!! Third time lucky!!!

Another flight on my Hurricane yesterday & all went well. Still feels underpowered, so I am ditching the 3 blade prop for now & putting a 2 blade APC 15x8 on it. Hopefully this will gain me some performance.

Landing was OK, but it got very pitchy when slowed down on the approach, might try a small reduction in the expo. Also need to add a little up elevator mix with the flaps.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 AM
jdcook54
My Feedback: (2)

anybody have any pictures of a roto 25 and or a Evolution 26 install?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 AM
vik

These are from Kwik from RCSB.com
Roto 25

Name:	Rp43949.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	519379  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:54 PM
jdcook54

Thanks Vik, I went ahead and ordered the evolution 26 for this plane, the saito 125 is coming out, even though this is plenty of motor for this plane, I didnt like having 18ozs of lead bolted up front, plus a little more speed should be fun, not to mention the fuel cost savings, the saito is 21.8 ozs and the evo26 is 33.6 ozs plus around 6 ozs for the exaust and 5.8 ozs for the ignition, thats 45.5 ozs thats a little over 5 ozs more than I had up front before which should allow me to move or get rid of the heavy 2600ma battery I had over the fuel tank, Im thinking my overall weight is going to be less using the heavier motor. anyway should be interesting

Doug
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 PM
jdcook54

Ordered the Motor Tues afternoon and it arrived this morning

Name:	Ig12274.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	520804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17942.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	520805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74745.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	520806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11492.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	520807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81057.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	520808  
Old 09-26-2006, 10:35 AM
greghart

My Hurricane is toast! Was asked if I could get it into a spin - Yes. But was not asked if I can get it out again - No! Guess I had better learn befor I try it on the next one.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,

Please post some pictures of the front of your plane when you get the engine installed. I am curious to see how the cowl works out with the front-carb configuration of the Evolution 26. I think you are really going to like the Hurricane with that engine!

-Ed
Old 09-26-2006, 12:38 PM
jdcook54

Here are a few pics, I had to grind down a good portion of the firewall then re-glass it to get the muffler to clear, but all is good, the motor was still not quite heavy enough, had to add about 5oz to the cowl to get it to balance.

Doug

Name:	Xv65785.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	530827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64906.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	530828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76776.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	530829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35744.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	530830  
Old 10-05-2006, 02:19 AM
Spuetz

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of getting the Hurri. Has anyone ever put a LASER 150 in it? I couldn't find anything on this in this thread, but may be you know.

What is the latest about the kit? Better retracts? Scale position of tail wheel? what else?

All help appreciated.

Cheers, Martin
Old 10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
jdcook54

go with a heavy motor, even with the evolution 26 up front, I still had to add lead
Old 10-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Spuetz

Hello Doug,

thanks for the reply. The idea with the Laser 150 is, that it is not very tall, thus will not stick out so much. And I would like to be able to cut as little away off the cowling as possible to keep the shape...

I am planning to bring everything forward as much as possible and put double 5 cell batteries up front. Then a little lead and it should be all right, I guess.

Cheers, Martin
Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got another flight on my Hurri last weekend. I added another 3 oz of lead for a grand total of I believe 20 oz in the nose. The good news is that it's much more manageable now when it slows down. It will actually settle in for a landing, with only a touch of ballooning. The bad news is that the other side retract rails broke out and ended my day. But even at 14+ lbs it still flies great. I managed to take off with full up trim programmed, which made for a very exciting first couple minutes. I got disoriented and wound up having to make a very abrupt pullout at slow speed. No trace of snappiness from the plane. Programed up just a touch of down elevator with the flaps, but will actually need up elevator as it takes a nose dive when flaps are deployed. I really need them to work as the plane smokes right in. Good think I hae 12000 feet of runway.

Might be a keeper.

Andy
Old 10-07-2006, 05:55 AM
jdcook54

I have 2 batteries up front crammed along side the fuel tank plus the 5oz electronic ignition, one battery is a 6 cell 1500ma Nimh and the other is a 4 cell 2700ma nicad, this thing needs alot of weight up front as it is so heavy in the tail, and doesnt want to land if the cg isnt right.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:50 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well when I test flew mine last year I had a problem of the engine going lean as the engine burned off fuel. Now I had replaced the stock fuel cell with a dubro 20oz and then run all the fuel lines to bulkhead fittings. So lots of opportunities for error! My power is provided by a O.S. Max 1.2 4cycle.

My first flight was pretty uneventful and showed no leaning problem. On the second flight though it would run fine in the pits, and into the air then get hot after about 3 minutes of flight. I landed readjusted the high speed and it lasted another three minutes before it was to lean. It never ran right after that so I removed the engine from the hurri and put it in my Hollywood Zero where it ran flawless for two months (about 6hr of air time). So having ruled out the engine it has to be in the fuel tank system. More importantly It should not take more than a couple of clicks to go from the Zero to Hurri. Install.

Before I go to the field though I plan to pull the fuel tank and pressure test it and the fuel lines them selves, as well as visually inspecting them.

I’ll keep you posted but this may be pretty slow at first because I’ve been away from building for a while and I’m sort of cleaning my way back into my work room.

Joe
Old 10-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Spuetz

Hello everyone,

I got the kit a couple of days ago. Looking good so far.

Here are some questions:

Has anyone tried the newLADO electric landing gear actuators? Here the link: [link=http://lado-tech.com/]LADO[/link]
They look really cool and I don't want to use pneumatic ones. With these electric ones you can cycle the gear about 35 times with a 800 mah batterie. and since battery weight is most welcome in the front of the airplane, it seems like the way to go...

What different (Robart?) landing gears and struts have you used?
What's the latest on scale wheels? Where to get them? What manufacturer?

What's paint are you using? What is the original paint, they used?

Thanks in advance and

cheers, Martin
Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Spuetz

Hello Midavide,

how did you solve the problem with the gear doors? I haven't read anything on this in this thread. But it is obvious that when the doors are staight when extended, they will be at an angle when retracted. Or the other way around. So, how did you do it? And how did Hawker solve the problem on the full size? does anyone know?

Cheers, Martin
Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 PM
lozza1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Martin a picture for you, sorry its the only one i got with the laser 150 in it

lozza

Name:	Fd91859.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	552562  
Old 11-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Spuetz

hi lozza,

thanks for the picture. Now which engine are you currently flying in it? I saw that you startet with the RCV and then switched to a two-stroke. When did you fly the LASER 150 and what did you think of it in this model?

Great looking finish by the way! Did you make "3D"-gear doors? Looks like it on the fotos...

Thanks, Martin
Old 11-10-2006, 10:18 PM
patana

Very nice ...... I mean the poster in the back ground. Can you zoom it up just a little?

Old 11-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Spuetz

While I don't find the time to start the project yet, I am thinking: I hate lead! it is useless and poisonous. So how could one make use of the extra weight that is needed in the nose?
Here are my questions:
Has anyone ever tried an onboard starter? what make? what engine?
How about a reduction gear box, so we can use a scale propeller? Any suggestions, ideas on that? I know that there are a couple of Tiger Moths around with reduction gear on a 22cc gasser. but there might not be enough room in the nose...

Any thoughts on that?

Old 11-25-2006, 08:42 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost ready to balance and fly my Hurricane.

For those of you that experiencing "ballooning" on landing and added a lot of weight up front to compensate (a65l, jdcook54, etc...), where is your CG located (after the additional lead was added)?

I'd rather have some idea if the recommended CG is appropriate before I fly, rather than risk damage through trial and error.

Thanks!

Noah
Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 AM
BOLTMAN

Martin

Re making the weight in the nose useful, I mounted a 4 / sub C cell battery pack on top of the engine mount. This is used to supply power to my functioning landing lights. I still needed 6oz of ballast ( I use steel plate where I have room, much easier to mount than soft lead! ), along with the OS 120 4 stroke.

Good Luck.

Name:	Jh14602.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	566847  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.