Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Hurricane in detail

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Hurricane in detail

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 AM
crackajack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Hurricane in detail

Ok, I'm ready to maiden and absolutely crapping myself!!

YS 120, 3 blade Prop COG is correct after 500 checks, Gear works well. Changed all the clevises to Dubro snap locks. 2.4gig Rx What's to be scared of?????

Inspire me please
Tell me what I wanna hear!
CJ
Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just do what i do

"i'm just going to hop it!"

then when its a foot off the runway and i'm wings level and not fighting it "might as well see what she's got!"

but if i'm fighting it pull the t back and let it settle.

Joe
Old 05-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Spuetz

CoG all right? Well, I guess you checked a zillion times...

Then think of the big, thick wing - made to fly! It is not a difficult airplane!

Good point paladin! I would do the same about landing. Just fly the approach, see if it would fit, but go around, without landing. Couple of times.
Helps me with new planes. I just commit to not to land right after the first approach. Get used to it first... A full tank gives you quite a few approaches. Eventually you will have landed it without even knowing it.

Cheers, Martin
Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 PM
alanc

just open the taps gently, use the rudder to keep her straight, let the tail come up, and let her fly off, DONT have loads of elevator movement, i like to use lots of expo here, softening it around the middle, but each to their own, its quite sensitive in pitch, just like the full size, dont use flaps on take offit wont need them, dont be fighting to get the gear up, full size dont retract on the first flights, and there isnt that much CG change if they are down, get them up when its flying level, relax, and enjoy it
Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 AM
crackajack

Thanks guys,
I guess its always a bit daunting on the first fly.
How about flaps for landing? will she land slowly without them?
My p-40 used to pitch up aggressively and I had to give plenty of down to keep it from ballooning and quite a bit of power so not to stall.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was set up for 60 degrees of flap (alanc, what is the correct angle for deployed flaps) because that was what I gleaned from the info I had. I approach with ¼ T maybe more (its been a year since I flew it, not for long though) and as I pulled it in for a wheel landing on the first one it ran out of airspeed and dropped about 3-6 in. I had not even started to reduce T. since then I keep quite a bit of power on until I’m over the runway and a few feet high. Then reduce the t and keep the AOA constant to set her down I very seldom get to idle before I touch down.

Without flaps I have not done, but practiced. On final hold AOA (wheel landing) use T to adjust altitude, works well.

Joe
Old 05-16-2009, 03:32 AM
crackajack

[img]file:///C:/Users/Carl/Desktop/New%20Folder%20(3)/DSCF2366.JPG[/img]HI all,
Here are some picks of my Hurri.
I did the Dubro tail wheel mod which looks great!

CJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23044.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1199269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47070.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1199270  
Old 05-16-2009, 03:41 AM
darjen38

ORIGINAL: crackajack

[img]file:///C:/Users/Carl/Desktop/New%20Folder%20(3)/DSCF2366.JPG[/img]HI all,
Here are some picks of my Hurri.
I did the Dubro tail wheel mod which looks great!

CJ
I agree it does look better, Did you use the Dubro Like I Did on page 31?

My one is all finished but for the setting up of the C/G....
Old 05-16-2009, 10:17 AM
crackajack

Yep, looks the same. It looks alot more scale and is way more sturdy thant that bit of wire supplied in the kit.
Tell you what though, I had to add a heap of lead in the cowl to obtain the C o G. I fiberglassed it into the cowl so it doesnt vibrate loose.

Hope to get some vid soon

CJ
Old 05-16-2009, 10:42 AM
alanc

about the flaps, about 70%, remember to use the throttle, if you are not used to ladnings with flaps, read up, i had to the first time i used flaps, this aircraft lands soft for a warbird, just be carefull,

about the nose weight, its either film covered flat plate tails, and every non-scale thing that goes with it, or nose ballast, we are out of stock of 1/6th scale merlins, even the restored full size has ballast,
Old 05-16-2009, 12:10 PM
darjen38

ORIGINAL: alanc

about the flaps, about 70%, remember to use the throttle, if you are not used to ladnings with flaps, read up, i had to the first time i used flaps, this aircraft lands soft for a warbird, just be carefull,

about the nose weight, its either film covered flat plate tails, and every non-scale thing that goes with it, or nose ballast, we are out of stock of 1/6th scale merlins, even the restored full size has ballast,
May be ,But I have watched you lot from YT at the Hop Farm with the Spit & Hurri nice bit of flying.....
Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 PM
scalenutz
My Feedback: (6)

Anyone have or know of a replacement canopy for the old style KMP /YTHurricane? please Pm me if you do...thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 03:33 AM
darjen38

ORIGINAL: scalenutz

Anyone have or know of a replacement canopy for the old style KMP /YTHurricane? please Pm me if you do...thanks

Why not give alanc a PM as he might be able to check on the shelves to see if they have one or even might be able to point you in the direction....
Old 05-17-2009, 05:16 AM
alanc

he has, i will, i have
Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 AM
darjen38

ORIGINAL: alanc

he has, i will, i have
Love it , Nothing like keeping it short....
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 AM
nicov1978

Hi Everyone,

I'm coming back to spinner issue: what is the ideal spinner diameter? I'm not at home for a few days and would like to order some stuffs all the same on TowerHobbies...

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas
Old 05-27-2009, 05:00 AM
crackajack

HI Nicov,
i just got mine from True Turn. Its a P-51 3.5" aluminium spinner. It fits well and looks great. Don't forget to buy the adaptor nut for you engine.

Cheers
CJ
Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Americo

Hi Everyone,
Well, this is my HURRICANE.It flew the last saturday.Is a great plane.

cheers from Spain!!!!

Name:	Bz78568.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1240681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59281.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1240682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59142.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1240683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46681.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1240684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13740.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1240685  
Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 AM
Supernaut

Hello all, just spent the last few days reading this thread - lots of great stuff in here and some amazing looking planes. I've only recently "discovered" the KMP product line, and have a few questions. First off, it sounds like the production ended on the a/c that most of you seem to have, but the 82" currently on their website is a newer kit, is this correct? If so, I noticed that some people were flying with the RCV91 and were pleased with the performance that gave, and I was wondering if the RCV130 had enough grunt to haul an 82", 16lb plane around (my flying site is very near sea level). Basically, if I get this plane, I want to enclose the engine as much as possible. I intend to do a desert version, so the tropical air filter should give me a little more depth to play with in the cowl, but not much. I have been looking as some gas engines, but they all seem to have a very wide profile and may not fit as well as I'd like.

Any thoughts on the subject appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Supernaut

Sorry, 1 more question. Have the various landing gear issues reported throughout the thread been ironed out with the gen V retracts that now come with this?

Chris
Old 09-22-2009, 06:56 AM
nicov1978

Hi Everyone,

Supernaut, I guess you're talking about the RCV120?

If so, let me tell you that I am also installing this engine in my 71" Hurricane (don't know if you intend to buy the new 82" one or to find an older version ie the 71" one...) and it fits the cowl entirely! Very tight but entirely! Only remains to find the exact angle you have to give to the engine at mounting to make it fit entirely the cowl with no external part... actually the engine part that causes trouble positioning is the carburator. It took me a long time!
I hope this is of help.

By the way, does someone know where I could find a nice scale 18x12 3-blade propeller for this plane?
And also, I would need a new cowl, impossible to find here... I know there is the possibility to get one by KMP directly from Canada but they ask US$30 for the cowl plus 30 as shipping fees... it hurts me paying as much for travel as for the cowl itself...

Thanks guys!

Nico
Old 09-22-2009, 07:31 AM
G-BBYB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Nico, Chris and everyone, I asked Alan recently for a new cowl for the old model Hurricane as mine had a radio hit and went in hard. Its all repaired now and has flown again but there was no luck in finding a cowl. In the end I pieced the old one back together with a layer of glass cloth on the inside.

The 80" version looks really good in the air, but to me the stringers are even more wrong than on the earlier one. I really don't know why it is so hard to get the stringers placed correctly, after all it is only aesthetic. Its a shame because it is otherwise a cracking model.

Mine still flies as though it is on rails. I land with 90 degrees of flap from quite a steep descent, 45 degrees if there is no wind. As Darjen and Alan have already said, fly it in with some power don't try and glide it in.

I had to completely rebuild the cockpit forward internally, and it is now a much sturdier model at the front. The cowling is no longer a weak point as they are now only covers and attach to the structure beneath.

Cheers
Danny

Name:	Om33397.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1279906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22043.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1279907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90525.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1279908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89544.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1279909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15498.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1279910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zp94950.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1279911  
Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

With all the work required in making a plug and production mould you would think they would take a few minutes to look at some photos and three views to get the fuselage right. That's the reason I haven't purchased any KMP models. Too many better looking/flying models available today!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:20 PM
G-BBYB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi planKrazee, I have to disagree, the YT models fly and look great. I haven't much experience of other models but what are you sugesting looks and flies better for the price?

YT do quite a lot of research into the designs from what I have seen, and I know they include overlaying 3 views with the design to see if the outlines can be made even more accurate without losing flying quality. You have to remember that they have to make what are tricky warbirds flyable by the average flyer, a tough challenge.

I applaud what YT are trying to do in bringing scale models to the masses, the individual can rework them to make them more accurate if they want. My complaint with the Hurricane is the stringers are so prominent, and they cannot be modified without some really serious hacking of the fuselage. Just a little more attention to detail and they can really move up a notch.

Saying that I am really pleased with my Hurribus.

Name:	Jh16991.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1280705  
Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
alanc

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

With all the work required in making a plug and production mould you would think they would take a few minutes to look at some photos and three views to get the fuselage right. That's the reason I haven't purchased any KMP models. Too many better looking/flying models available today!!!

i have one question, WHERE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.