Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

Hi everybody!

I've been stalled on building my Royal B-17 model kit for some time now. I've finally decided that I want to experiment with electric retracts and I want to install some in this model. Anybody have any suggestions, recommendations, etc.?
    Don W. Shanks
    Spitfire Brotherhood #89.
    P-39 Airacobra Brotherhood #28.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

Lykes Line makes electric retracts in a size that would be good for that one. Unfortunately I cant find the web address. I thought Gene Barton sold them but I dont see them there, must be crs. A guy in our club uses only them when he DOES use retracts. I've seen some at our swap meet that look like they would be about right on that B17.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks

Thanks Edwin:

I'll take that name to my local hobby shop owner to see if he can take it from there. If not, could you bug (ummmmmmm), I mean, ask real nicely for more specific ordering information. Company name, means of contact, etc., etc. etc.
    Don W. Shanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

Heres the Like Line URL.

http://www.aero-sports.com/likesline/
    Zoom, Zoom, Zoom, Whoops!!!!!!

Bernard Gaffney
    \"Barnyard\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

retracts

Barnyard,

thankyou for the link. After taking a look around, their stuff seems more geared towards Giant Scale aircraft models. My B-17F is like 1/16th scale with a 78" wingspan.

Also, to anybody else out there, is there another company that makes electric retracts for big and small models?
    Don W. Shanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

Hey Don,

I'm just finishing my Royal B-17 after 2 years of on/off building & I never did find a set of retracts for it, so I finally went with a fixed gear.

I built a mockup nacelle & did fit a spring-air unit into it, biggest problem is where to put the 3.5" wheel when it retracts forward! Works fine if you don't want fuel tanks in the inboard nacelles.

I also tried to fit a set of DC-3 retracts from a TF DC-3 kit to no avail. They looked decent, but again, the lack of nacelle space is tough.

Hope to be test flying mine this weekend. Covered it it aluminum tape (never again!) and have 4 OS .20's on it. Careful with the tail as it builds up weight there REAL quickly. If mine flies halfway decent I may knock off the engine mounts & side mount some .30 or so 4 strokes on it. BTW, if you haven't built the nacelles yet, I'd highly recomend modifying them like that. Pretty much cut off the beams, fabricate a new 3/16 ply firewall, & use plastic mounts to rotate the engines so your exhaust goes out the side / bottom. Cylinders & mufflers look like hell sticking out the top of the plane!

Also, be careful shaping the nose. Check it SEVERAL times against the clear nose window while building. My window was almost 1/8 too small even with leaving a bunch of excess plastic on it.

Good luck!

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

Any chance of some pics Bob, or info on building (my royal kit keeps calling me every time I walk past it).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah, Pictures Bobman!

Hi and thanks for responding to this thread guys.

I agree with grahamd1, we want some pictures Bobman!

As for the LG problem. I guess I will end up doing what you did Bobman (going Fixed Gear). A fellow club member of mine here in Lubbock has built a Royal B-17 kit and he happened to come across some Royal mechanical retracts for it too. I'm stuck now with an extra pair of Hobbicos to use on some other project.

As for fuel tank and wheel clearance, I was thinking of creating a fuselage tank with 2 quick-fuel connectors (one for feeding each pair of engines). This would free up room in the nacelle liek you were talking about. I was thinking of hinging the radio compartment as a hatch type covering like the jets so I would have a single point fueling and on/off, and recharge jack all in one spot.
    Don W. Shanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

No problem on the pic's. I'll take some tomorrow & post them in the evening.

Good thought on the tank idea in the fuse, though the wing center section is pretty thick, so you may just be able to put a couple of 8-10 oz tanks side by side in the center section & run your fuel fill lines out to their inboard respective nacelles. Could be a long way to draw fuel for a .20 - .25 motor way out there on the outboard wing though. Maybe just cram an 8 oz. tank in the outboard nacelle's & share those? Geez... where were these idea's BEFORE I sheeted mine up?!

Don, don't give up on the retracts. As long as you find a place for the tanks pretty much ANY retract unit will fit. A mechanical may even work out better as you won't need to find room for the air tank.

grahamd1, pick up that kit & get started! There are FAR to many ARF's out at the fields these days. It was a challenging bird to build, and the directions leave a *bit* to the imagination.

If I were to do it again I'd make a few changes. Dump the aileron linkage & go with small servo's mounted in each wing. Ditto for the throttle linkage also. Would be MUCH easier to put a mini servo in each nacelle & adjust them electronically vs. the 4 cables I have running to 2 servo's mounted in the center section. I did it this way so I could control inboard & outboard engines independantly (in case one quits).

Other than that, buy LOT'S of sandpaper & hobby knives, empty out the shop-vac, & be prepared to carve & sand your butt off!

Anybody know where I can come up with some pilot figures & such for this thing? I tried some model railroad figures but they're not quite right. Also,I seem to remember Royal having a cockpit kit available at one time?

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pilot Figures

Bobman:

I'm also a G.I. Joe collector and a while back, I hit Wal-Mart looking for some 3.5" tall action figures. They are a little too small for the B-17 though I found out. But you could use them if nothing else turns up.

I also had some old Playmates Star Trek-The Next Generation action figures. These are about 4" tall and closer to scale. For these, I suggest hitting ebay or garage sales or bribing your nearest Star Trek fan.

Third, go to the Toys R Us and check out 21st Century's The Ultimate Soldier Xrteme Detail series. These figures are 1:18th scale (I guess that means that the small G.I. Joes I mentioned above are also that scale). Anyway, 21C has some scale aircraft models. Like a P-51, Bf-109. Corsair, Stuka, P-38. The P-38 pilot looks closest to a bomber pilot. But at nearly 50 bucks each, outfitting a crew will become expensive. But there are "grunts" for around six bucks each that you can convert over to "flight crew" status.
    Don W. Shanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tanks & servos

I have already modified the wings during construction to handle servos out in the wingtips for the ailerons. Right now, I've got the push tubes installed as per the instructions for the throttles. But I too am getting the feeling of dumping this idea and going to individual mini servos for each engine.

I've got a Futuba 9C that I'll use for this baby. But I like some of these new hitec servos that are coming out. Especially, their wing servos. Bobman, I'm going to think long and hard about cutting off the engine rails on the nacelles and replace them with regular engine mounts like you suggested. If memory serves, those wood rails also serve as the cowling mounts.

As for the fuel tanks. I'm thinking after reading some of your posts here tonight, of putting the inboard engine fuel tanks (8 oz) into the wing/bombbay area and smaller fuel tanks in their proper location for the outboard engines (4 or 6 oz.).

Landing gear question will remain (pardon the expression) up in the air for now.
    Don W. Shanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

Don,

Thanks for the lead on the pilot figures, I'll check them out.

You're right about the cowl's being mounted on the engine rails, but it would be a real simple matter to place 3 or 4 small blocks on the firewall & screw the cowl to them. Go ahead & build one of the nacelles & set it on the wing. You'll hate the look of the cylinder sitting upright, trust me! Would be much neater mounted @90 deg. with the muffler's on the bottom. That's the very first thing my better half said when I did the "unveiling" the other day..."are the engines always going to stick out like that?"

What motor's are you planning on using? Decide on a paint scheme yet?

Waiting for wife to come home w/ the digital cam so I can snap a few pics.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Engines

Hi Bob:

I've already got the engines. Four OS .25LAs. got a good deal on them from my LHS owner and they are all paid for now . As for mufflers, did you stick with the regular ones or go with a Pitts?

As for paint scheme, I was wanting to do a warbird from the 381st BG (Triangle L). But, as a fall back, I built the Revel 1/72nd scale plastic model of a B-17F called "Miami Clipper" (Triangle A). If I could build a chin turret in order to convert this baby to a G model, there are a lot more paint schemes that I would like to use.

I forgot to add that I also picked up that Martuka(?) cockpit kit from Hobby Barn. Thats mostly finished. As for pilot figures, I guess if all else fails, just carve up some foam and go to a cloth shop and get some black or brown leather and fashion up some bomber crew jackets and just use the heads off of the G.I. Joes. Just a thought.
    Don W. Shanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 kit

Guys on your bomber as far as the fuel tanks go on the inboard nacells put a 2oz in there then put a six ounce in the wing. On the vent of the 2oz put on the carb line on the six ounce and the muffler line on the vent of the 6oz. As far as refueling use a third line on the 2oz and use a set of hemostats on the carb fuel line. This set up will give you ample room for the landing gear in the nacells. Also it would be a good idea to put a little splurg tank near the engines this way you will not have to worry about air getting into the engines and have that dreaded stalled engine during flight. Im' currently building a Wing mfg. B-17 and plan on using four OS 26 fourstrokers on it. As far as Retracts I will use Spring air retracts with airline restrictures to help in the scale like retract of the gear. I also found out that the nose gun turret on most of the other B-17 is where they put all the weight for their birds to help balance out the plane.Also get with GWS to get your micro servos for your throttles These will work just fine for them. On my tail wheel I left it free float that way I wouldn't have to worry about steering cable getting out of adjustment. On the back of these planes try to build light caus a little weight here means a lot up front.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally some pic's!

OK, so it took me a while to get some pics, sorry! Here's where we sit so far.... plane is done except for some final decal work, fitting the aluminum cowl's (I really hate to cut into them!), cockpit framing, and the little detail work that never ends. Still looking for a cockpit kit for this thing, struck out at Hobby Barn. Anyone have a contact for Martuka?

Hope to have a first flight this season still.
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26046_2335.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	12340  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

Another...

Name:	26047_2335.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	12341  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

And another

Name:	26048_2335.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	12342  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal B-17 model kit

And the last one...

Name:	26049_2335.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	12343