Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Midwest Messerschmitt .40

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Midwest Messerschmitt .40

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 11:11 PM
gut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Messerschmitt .40

next pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79919_14122.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	12530  
Old 05-19-2003, 11:12 PM
gut

last pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79920_14122.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	12531  
Old 07-27-2003, 06:36 PM
hlallen867
My Feedback: (6)

Default Midwest Messerschimdt

I had 2 of them one done in German Camo the other done with a Super Chipmunk Red white and Blue scheme they flew very well the camo one got fuel soaked after many years and had to be retired the other one clipped an egret doing a low high speed pass across the field I flew at don't know if I killed the bird but he killed mine.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:01 AM
Wulfman
My Feedback: (5)

Nice work Gut! Your's turned out so nice, it makes me want to build one!

SC

http://members.cox.net/wulfman/
Old 08-12-2003, 04:48 PM
WhiteKnuckles

Those are some pretty mixed reviews. I like the plane a lot, and prefer forgiving flying over scale at this point. So, those of you who have a new kit, what's the verdict?
Old 04-04-2004, 08:10 PM
lowlander69
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Midwest Messerschmitt .40

Please provide additional information on how to builid in the proper washout during construction. I am ready to install the LE and TE sheeting and want to build in the washout. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:16 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Messerschmitt .40

Login, From memory I believe this kit has a shaped piece of wood that goes under the TE when the wing is built. The easiest way to do this is to make the centers of the LE and TE on the root and tip rib. With the root rib and shaped peace in place measure from those marks to the work board. And take the delta between them, that will give you the opposite side in a right triangle. The other side is the is the length of the rib and using "sin = opp./hyp." You can find the angle of the root rib.

Now if the wing is to have 6 degrees of washout we can redo the "sin = opp./hyp." Calculation using the tip rib length as hyp. And the sin = 6 degrees. The reworked formula "Sin(hyp.) = opp." And opp. Is the distance you need to move the tip rib to get the washout needed. Now just start moving the shaped block under the tip rib towards the leading edge, while holding it in the same place under the root rib. Notice that it rotates the tip rib and all the ribs between proportionally. Move the shaped peace towards the LE until the delta between the LE and TE equals what we figured. Then glue the wing joints and the washout is added.

One last note on this plane, even after adding the washout permanently is still snapped when stalled. But this reduced the speed it snapped at to an acceptable speed. What that means is that stall maneuvers like stall turns, hammer heads, etc. Can be done but I found that I was not flying them (the maneuvers) the way they should have been flown with a dependable plane. That is the reason I passed mine on to some one who was aware of the problem but wanted a war bird in the worst way.

He flew it for one summer, once his Flop tite P-51D was complete and flown he lost interest in it quickly and after a stint in his rafters ended up at a swop meet.

Good luck

Joe
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Dwayne

Originally Posted by gut
third pic.... showing progress to date. this bird has been on the back burner for a few months now (lazy bee and scratch bi-plane on the board)

Changes to date show extra lightening holes cut with hole saw, profile change to veridical stab & rudder, re-positioning of horizontal stab by 1 inch "higher". I've built wash-out into the wings and have sheeted them.. I'm using fixed LG for now to keep it light and the tail gear is re-positioned to scale location. Power is an OS 46FX driving a graupner 3 blade 10-7 prop with a slimline muffler. As you can see, I've mounted the power sideways and will build a permanent upper cowling around it... (just beginning to frame this in now) lower cowling will be removable to access the engine, fuel tank, etc...
I know it's been over 10 years, nbut I hoping you're still here. Did you use any down and right thrust?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:04 AM
gut

Originally Posted by Dwayne
I know it's been over 10 years, nbut I hoping you're still here. Did you use any down and right thrust?

Hi there Dwayne, certainly has been a while since I did anything with this bird.... Whats left is sitting in the attic and needs some TLC if it's ever going to fly again....

Off hand I can't recall If I added any down and/or right thrust, although I may have slipped some washers under one side of the motor mount when it was flying with a glow engine... I converted it to electric about years ago but I was never comfortable flying it.

With all the mods I did just to much weight was added and this I think, was its major fault... This bird with its small wing area needed to be flown fast, and landing was always a crap shoot... On it's last flight I tipstalled on landing and riped the wing out of it....

Cheers.......
Old 02-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Dwayne

Thank you for the reply. I know now it has down thrust and I don't think it had right thrust but I'm going to put a little in. Hey it can't hurt.
Thank you again
Dwayne