Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Brian Taylor foam core wings?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Brian Taylor foam core wings?

Old 08-06-2002, 01:26 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Taylor foam core wings?

Am I barking up a wrong tree in possibly doing foam core wings for my Spitfire? My question mainly directs to Chad, & Vic, and I guess Sean and Jose whom all have this plane (the fiberglass fuse anyways from Vic). But also to anyone else that may be helpful. I have a local friend that does this here locally (http://cncfoamfactory.com/) that can do them for me. My question is, is it worth it? I know there are a lot of things to work out than just doing a set. I mean, retracts, hinging, servo's, spars, etc. but would it be feasable to do? I dont need to, it just came up last night when I was reading Vic's post about the P38 galss setup he's doing ( and what he has done so far looks great Chad!). I thought maybe doing a set or 2 for my Spit, or maybe P47? Any thoughts good or bad are welcome.

Thanks

Todd
Old 08-06-2002, 01:29 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like a second set of foam cores for my Bert Baker P47, if you buddy can cut them for me.

Vince
Old 08-06-2002, 01:32 AM
t_burley

Originally posted by Vince
I would like a second set of foam cores for my Bert Baker P47, if you buddy can cut them for me.

Vince
if you go to his website, he has a list of items he would need to do it. I am sure he would, he is doing quite a few different sets around the world now.

Todd
Old 08-06-2002, 07:05 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spifire foam cores

This is pretty hard to do on an eliptical wing. I myself is a foam wing builder and hate them ribs. In fact I built Talyors P51 several years back and dumped my wing ribs and cut my own foam cores. I know this is not impossible because I have seen Yellows and Century Jets wing cores and they are pretty close to scale. One of my glider buddies Russ Thompson used to cut eliptical wings by bending the foam just right and then proceeded to wirecut the foam. That would somehow produce an eliptical wing. Trial and error, I would say.

Vic
Old 08-06-2002, 01:23 PM
t_burley

thanks, Vic, that is what we will try. I mean we would want to do it right, but at first we will just see what happens.

Todd
Old 08-06-2002, 04:40 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Default Cutting Elliptical Foam Core Wings

Burl:

I came across this web site that has an article on cutting elliptical foam core wings. www.scalecombat.com/sections/workshop/workshop.asp .
On the left hand menu there is a section called Articles by Pilots. The article for cutting elliptical wings can be found there. Hope it helps.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:09 PM
t_burley

Kirk,

thanks for the link!

Todd
Old 08-06-2002, 07:36 PM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Default Elliptical wing

If you have access to Tekoa's Feathercut video it shows you how to cut an elliptical wing. How to bend the foam and it's rather easy. I cut an 80" P47 wing using the same technique and it worked out great.
See "TEKOA.COM" for more information
Tom
Old 08-06-2002, 08:16 PM
t_burley

Default Re: Elliptical wing

Originally posted by TOMMYSTA
If you have access to Tekoa's Feathercut video it shows you how to cut an elliptical wing. How to bend the foam and it's rather easy. I cut an 80" P47 wing using the same technique and it worked out great.
See "TEKOA.COM" for more information
Tom
thanks I'll look there as well
Old 08-07-2002, 02:00 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Todd, I'm putting together the wing for a CJM Spitfire right now which is foam. I really don't care for it too much but I'm biased towards balsa. The Yellow Spit wing is foam and it's awesome, but it's all built and sheeted for you. I'd mention that Vic was thinking of a molded glass wing for the Spit but I think he has enough pressure already! Putting the scale flaps into a foam Spit wing is a bit challenging but not impossible certainly. Getting the gentle S curve at the trailing edge of the center section may be a stumper. Yellow and CJM manage to overlook this little detail. Hmmm, give it a shot and let us see what you come up with!

Hey Vic, send me some '38 pics eh?

Here's my current AutoCAD project. It will have foam outer wing panels 'cause there is no ellipse!
Old 08-07-2002, 02:29 AM
t_burley

Chad,

thanks for input as well. I know this is going to be a challenge, but heh, it gives me something to do . I appreciate all the input here. Mark and I are going to get together sometime soon when I get a few more pieces of this puzzel together. At this time it seems to be just a hobby curiosity for me to do the wings in foam. If they work, great we have access to foam wings, if not at least I tried something different. I will keep you all updated on any progress.

Todd
Old 08-07-2002, 05:19 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bending foam

k-sonn! thanks, I guess after ten years, cutting cores for eliptical wings has not changed.

Todd, make sure you have the correct washouts, you may need to make measurements once you cut the cores, to make sure its true before going any futher on it. I'd be happy to stop by and take a look at the final results. This way I can get some cores for myself.

Would like to make several spits all capable of flying in short notices.

Vic
Old 08-07-2002, 01:08 PM
t_burley

Default Re: Bending foam

Originally posted by fw190
k-sonn! thanks, I guess after ten years, cutting cores for eliptical wings has not changed.

Todd, make sure you have the correct washouts, you may need to make measurements once you cut the cores, to make sure its true before going any futher on it. I'd be happy to stop by and take a look at the final results. This way I can get some cores for myself.

Would like to make several spits all capable of flying in short notices.

Vic
Vic,
thanks for input, Mark and I have talked about the washout for the plane. That and a few other items I still need to start this layout. I will drop you a line when I get something going. Cores for yourself? heh not a prob, I mean I may need a glass fuse and foam core Lightning! .

Todd
Old 08-07-2002, 02:22 PM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spit wings

Burl,
I just read the article on the eliptical foam cutting and is really interesting how he came up with the answer to that problem, but I still ask myself, why go to the trouble??
Adding to what the other guys said, framing the wing is not really the worst part of the project. You can frame in two evenings maybe three if you are slow like me. Now you can cut a foam core in two hours but the headaches will come when you want to install the flaps, ailerons and landing gear. Nothing is straight forward in the Spit: the flaps are split and have two in each wing, the ailerons are Frise and the gear have three angles to deal with. Do you want scale hidden pushrods as in the plan? That will be even more difficult with foam. HOw about the center panel? It has a gull shape where it mates the fuse, I don't think it can be done in foam.
Just my 2 cents,
JoseG
http://www.jg.rcplanet.com/
Old 08-07-2002, 10:50 PM
t_burley

Jose,

those are all great points you bring up, and that is the whole reaon I bring this up here, because of that type of input. Good, bad or indifferent, thats what is great about this type of forum. I realize a couple problems already about the retracts, flaps, ailerons, etc. Those I guess I'll work out of course, its just that I want to try, and see what happens. If it works out great, heh, I'll have foam wings for all our Spit's
If not, I'll have a helluva lot of packing material

Todd