Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Brian Taylor 82" Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Brian Taylor 82" Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 01:44 PM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Taylor 82" Corsair

Yak and Grey:
The 80 inch Hurricane was blown up from the .60 size in the early eighties. I built one in 1984, flew it with an O.S. 90, Platt retracts, Kraft radio. You either love the Hurricane or you think it looks like a whale. I loke it. It does have a very thick wing, which allows the plane to land very slow.
My cousin was one of the first three members of the American Eagle Squadron in 1941 and I built his plane. XR-T. His name was Red Tobin.
Brian
Old 08-23-2002, 04:08 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
Having built 3 Byron Corsairs for various people, I can say that they're no "snap" to build.
As stated previously, Byron went for good flying characteristics above scale fidelity and his market was the "average"
modeler with money who wanted a good flying warbird. It was designed to use his "Purr power system" which used a 4.2, a 3 bladed prop and the purr power muffler. By the time you were done, you'd have near $2000 in it, which by giant scale warbirds standards isn't that high.
While not scale to the purists, 95% of the people at the field never knew the difference (it's got a bent wing-must be a Corsair) and they all LOVED the 3 blade prop.
It is a nice flying model.
Jon
Old 08-23-2002, 07:14 PM
greyfly

T-Bolt

Its interesting about XR-T, in the UK we have a collection of warbirds called The Fighter Collection. You may have heard of an air show we have over here called Flying Legends. (Its run by the F/C)

Anyway they have a Hurricane painted up as your cousins aircraft. XR-T Z7391....and I can tell you it looks great!

http://www.duxford.org

Try this link, and find the Fighter Collection to see some pictures. Let me know what you think.
Grey.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:47 PM
BernieG

Originally posted by thunderbolt
I have no idea on how Brian Taylor built his at 14 pounds.
I am lucky enough to have met Brian at his house in Somerset, England, seen and taken some pictures of his Corsair.

A big part of the answer on the final weight is that he finish all his models with paper and dope.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:53 PM
BernieG

Originally posted by F106A
(it's got a bent wing-must be a Corsair
depend of the color ! If it's green, must be a Stucka
Old 08-31-2002, 02:21 PM
Sky Viper

Default REPLY FROM Bob Hollman

Tom

Thanks for the email.

The Taylor F4U is the best IF you like to build. Taylor puts a loy of work into research and his models fly well. There are a lot of parts but the laser cutting helps.

I can get retracts made to fit it by Unitracts in the UK. He is slow is one draw back. Will be over there latter this week and will be with him.

I know some have used Century Jets but you need them as you are building for sure.

Will be gone from the 22nd till just after the 1st.

Bob