Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Whats up with "Prefect Paint"?????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Whats up with "Prefect Paint"?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 05:41 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up with "Prefect Paint"?????

I checked with Tower Hobbies for "Prefect Paint" and they aren't going to carried it anymore...As soon as their stock is depleted,thats it...Anyone know know if they are getting out of the paint business ( Prefect Paint ) for models?? I've tried to contact them,but it's the usual replies..nothing..Like to know the "Skinny" on this paint.......
Old 10-02-2004, 07:35 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Whats up with "Prefect Paint"?????

Tower is a good indicator of where the hobby is going, but it's not the all that the hobby has to offer. ARF's and slave labor are what sells and over the last 10 years Tower has moved from the builder to the ready to fly crowd. Not carrying paints is just part of that move it appears. Perfect paint is still available at [link=http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/listing/che.html]Sheldons Hobbies[/link]

Dion

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Bananas

I checked with Tower Hobbies for "Prefect Paint" and they aren't going to carried it anymore...As soon as their stock is depleted,thats it...Anyone know know if they are getting out of the paint business ( Prefect Paint ) for models?? I've tried to contact them,but it's the usual replies..nothing..Like to know the "Skinny" on this paint.......
Old 10-02-2004, 08:33 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW, talk about timing, I was about to ask the same question!

Currently, Tower does not stock ALL of the Perfect Paint/ Chevron colors. In particular, I was looking for some flat black, so I could do the 1/64" tape panel line thing on my Hanger 9 Corsair modification project. I already have the Chevron paints for the tri-color scheme I planned to apply.

SO, I went to the Perfect Paint/ Chevron colors web site. I used their online order form to order some paints. It turned out that this order was placed thru Sheldon Hobbies.
After placing the order, I received an e-mail message from Sheldon, stating that I would receive the order in 6~7 business days. This message was very vague, in comparison to the confirmations that I usually receive when placing an online order.
After about 20 days, I had not received the order yet so I -mailed that info back to them. Such is their online capabilities that they did not know who I was (as they had provided no confirmation number, or anything close to it). When I enlightened them, they responded by stating that they were out of Chevron flat black spray, and were hoping it would arrive soon.
Until now, every time I ordered something online from ANYONE, I was able to determine quickly whether or not the item was in stock. And had I known the shipment would be delayed because they were out of flat black spray, I would have ordered GLOSS black spray.
Disgusted with their apparent lack of online communication skills, I e-mailed back to them requesting them to cancel the order altogether.

Several days later, I decided to try and place the order by telephone ( thru Sheldon), hoping that I would be able to determine whether or not the paints where in tock by talking to someone.
The person who answered the phone was the biggest jerk I that I have ever encountered while trying to place an order. I was just about to tell him so, when he must have sensed my intentions abruptly ended the call by saying: " You have a good day sir".

I followed up by sending an e-mail to Perfect Paint/ Chevron, using the address provided at their web site. This address appears to be for Chevron, rather than Sheldon.

I have not recived a response.

Bottom line is that I was not given the opportunity to place the order, and at this point, I will NEVER place another order thru Sheldon ( I have ordered from them in the past, with no problems).

Which leaves me short of some of the paints I need to complete my project.
Unlike many others, I decided to use Chevron paints, even tho they are more expensive than the house paints that many modelers are using these days. If however, I cannot purchase ALL the colors that I need, I will be forced to reconsider. I really don't want to mix paints (brands), at the risk of incompatability. I do have some old Poly U black, as well as LustreCote black.

So, is there another place that I can order Chevron black paints, thinner, balsa filler, etc. from? I would at least like to compete this project, then it's house paints from here on for me.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:23 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Fortunately you aren't out of luck if you just want to put black panels on your plane. The Testor's flat black will work just fine over Chervon paints. I have used Chevron's paint a few times and applied other paints over it with success. The Testor's paints I use are the Acrylic, water base types. Here's a picture of my Corsair with Perfect paints and Testors Weathering..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43220.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	178805  
Old 10-02-2004, 11:58 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

BUT, my plan was to use Chevron paints OVER the black, using 1/64" tape to mask off panel lines. Not exactly the same as painting black panel lines over the Chevron paints. Any experience with that?

Oh, and by the way: Great Looking Corsair you have there!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:24 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, no...I haven't put the black down and then put the chevrons over it .... But.. In my opinion that's an unnecessary step. I would put the primer on (which is what I did) and then the tape. Paint the plane and remover the tape. After subtle weathering your panel lines will stand out sufficiently but not overly obvious.. Does that help?
Another view of my Corsair.. and thanks for the kind words.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30957.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	178818  
Old 10-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Hey Bannananas or how ever you spell your name. Good to see you still out there. Saw your Tempest on RC warbirds. Looking good. I need to finish mine. It is the IMP version. I need to just put some fairings on the wing and I can stat to finish . How does yours fly? Oh yea, this is Tony Green in Omaha.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Hey Ram-Bro:

Long time no see...I have a "Typhoon", not a Tempest......The Typhoon is a DCM kit,which isn't available anymore....Made some adjustments,but haven't flown it this year..next year for sure....Man,trying to get Prefect Paint is a pain in the A#$...No use trying to get ahold of them (Chevron), because they won't response...After what I read on here in regards to 'Sheldon Hobbies",sorta leery on calling them...Need a couple of spray cans of "Dead Flat Clear".......Any way,send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a couple of pictures of my Tri-motor Italian bomber...Test flights wern't that successful,so battle damage is getting repaired and should be ready to test again around the end of Oct....Might come over there to do it..Take care.........................Bananas ( Local Mafia # Uno)
Old 10-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Shihtzutan

Damn, I think I'm going to have to rethink my finishing techniques. I need a glow fuel proof paint job. Sure I can use house paint and clear coat it, but guess what happens when damage surfaces need to be sanded and repaired? Anyone out there has suggestions for military flats?
Old 10-24-2004, 04:05 PM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

This is the website,
http://www.perfectpaint.com/
Good Luck
Paul

Old 10-24-2004, 05:22 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give r/c buyers warehouse in nashua new hampshire a call they carry that line of paint and had plenty in stock the last time i was there phone is
603-595-2494 ,closed sunday and monday
Old 10-25-2004, 02:09 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Two things. NAPA makes a flat black primer that works great For putting panel lines down with. I spray my whole plane black and then use the chart tape and then paint.

Latex is very easy to repair. If you have a damaged area just mask the area, usually around a panel line, fix , prime, and paint. If you use the same clear coat you can't even see the repair...

TY
Old 11-22-2004, 06:02 PM
bren
My Feedback: (329)

Hi,

I have a lot of cans and spray colors left. Let me know what colors needed.

Thanks Tom
Old 11-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Condor

ORIGINAL: Shihtzutan

Damn, I think I'm going to have to rethink my finishing techniques. I need a glow fuel proof paint job. Sure I can use house paint and clear coat it, but guess what happens when damage surfaces need to be sanded and repaired? Anyone out there has suggestions for military flats?
I've had good success with Nelson's paints. They're fuelproof, go on easy and dry reasonably quickly. At the beginning I had a lot of grief masking it because I'd either pull off the underlying paint and/or get jagged edges. The solution was to thin the paint quite a bit more than I was, use better-quality tape and remove the masks while the paint was still wet -- I guess it's good to follow the old advice about practicing on something other than your actual plane... At any rate, I'd heartily reccomend Nelson's paints. Also, there's a (new?) outfir called KlassKote which is selling two-part epoxy paints like the old Hobbypoxy and Ultrapoxy lines; that's the paint Dave Platt is reccomending these days, which should help ease anyone's minds about their suitability for our purposes.

Cheers,

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 11-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Shihtzutan

I appreciate the heads up on Nelson paint! Thanks Condor, I'm going to give it a try! - Mike
Old 12-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Sort of off topic, but I called Sheldons also, to order a Balsa USA 1/4 scale bird. The guy was pretty rude. I asked if there was a way I could get that discount they advertise on the web site (fill out the form, drop it off at the store and get 10% off) well as I am 2000 miles away I asked if I could mail one in. Yes, I know its probably a ploy to get locals to buy more, but you never know, doesnt hurt to ask. And why the heck if you only want locals to use the discount do you put the ad for it on your WEBSITE for gosh sakes? The guy told me " You cant have your cake and eat it to" What the heck was that all about?!. So, I didnt buy anything from them. And I doubt I will. Anyway, my two cents worth, sorry for getting off track.