Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best engine for a Platt Spitfire?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best engine for a Platt Spitfire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 10:45 AM
wja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best engine for a Platt Spitfire?

I’m getting ready to start building Dave Platt’s 1/5th scale Spitfire kit and I was wondering what engine would be ideally suited for this plane? I was contemplating using a Moki 2.10 for power, but having put one up against the plans it became obvious that a large portion of the head would be sticking out. Has anyone used a Moki 1.80 in this plane, and if so, how did it fit and did it have sufficient power?
Anyway, I would appreciate hearing suggestions in regards to good engine choice for this plane, but also I would like to hear all and any hints, tips and the pitfalls to avoid, in regards to building this plane
Thanks again,
Waldemar
Old 10-14-2004, 02:56 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Best engine for a Platt Spitfire?

wja,

I bought a Platt Spitfire a few months ago, too. Like you, I wanted an engine that would have plenty of power without sticking out offensively. I called Dave Platt and asked him what engine he would use. The Master himself said his choice would be the Moki 1.8.

I came real close to buying one myself but I would much prefer to use a gas engine. I solved the problem of the "carb hanging out one side and the muffler hanging out the other side" by purchasing a ZDZ 40 with a rear mounted carb and an inverted Pitts-style muffler. Granted, this will require some redesign of the firewall area but that's no real big deal. The cylinder head will protrude out the bottom of the cowl by 1/2" and the sparkplug by 1". By comparison, the Moki will barely peek out at all and I wouldn't want to live off the difference in power between the two engines.

So, there you have it, wja. Either way, you'll have a winner!

I won't have the opportunity to start my Spitfire for quite sometime but I would sure like to hear from you as you go along. Post your build experiences, okay?

Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33596.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	182784  
Old 10-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

one of these, of course...

http://dynamotive.netfirms.com/merlin/index.htm
Old 10-14-2004, 04:13 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BME 2.4 gasser, it mounts on the rails.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:48 PM
wja

Al and f4U5, thanks for your input. I was leaning towards going with the Moki 1.8 since I have never used a gas engine in any off my planes. I’ve been reluctant to go with gassers previously because of their negative reputation for being less efficient than glow engines as far as power is concerned, as well as causing more vibration and potential electrical interference. The only positive reasons I always hear for going with gassers is cheaper fuel, additional nose weight and less oily mess to clean up. Up to this point anytime I needed to put additional weight in the nose, I tried to do it by reinforcing the structure in front of the CG instead of putting dead weight in. Likewise, considering how relatively expensive scale modeling is, switching to gas engines to save few bucks on gas did not seem much of a reason. I realize that I’m naïve when it comes to gas engines and that the growing trend of scale modelers is to go with gassers, as such I was wondering if someone could explain to me what are the real advantages of gas engines; although having to avoid cleaning the oily mess is definitely tempting!
By the way nony, thanks for that link to the miniature Merlin site; I’ll have you know I picked up a handful of those babies incase I do decide to build a squadron of ¼ scale spitfires next!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I had one that tipped the scales at 23 pounds and flew OK on a ST2500 but a bit more would have been nice. If you can keep the weight around there (or less) I think the 1.8 Moki would be an ideal choice. They fly beautifully, good luck with yours.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:31 PM
juvatwad
My Feedback: (8)

I believe the only true advantage to a gas engine (assuming both gas and glow are available in the displacement required) is reliablitiy. Gas engines rarely quit unless they run out of fuel, and they rarely require carb adjustments once set up. I too, don't care much about fuel costs, because I fly only one to two days every couple of weeks, and my large scale warbirds aren't my daily fliers.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:18 AM
tlovett
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: juvatwad

I believe the only true advantage to a gas engine (assuming both gas and glow are available in the displacement required) is reliablitiy. Gas engines rarely quit unless they run out of fuel, and they rarely require carb adjustments once set up. I too, don't care much about fuel costs, because I fly only one to two days every couple of weeks, and my large scale warbirds aren't my daily fliers.
I fly both and glow. I have three Moki engines and my experience has been they are just as reliable as the gas motors I have. They are thirsty devils, though. You have to pack about 2 ounces of fuel for each minute you want to fly.

I have several gas motors from Brison, Quadra, Zenoah and Sachs. All have been very reliable. The biggest thing with gas is they are cheaper to run and MUCH easier to clean up the airframe to go home after a days flying. The bigger single cylinder gas motors do bang, or vibrate, quite a bit at idle when they are on a magneto. (Just don't sit there and idle, run it up and go!)

A buddy had one of the Spits and had to add nose weight with his 2500, so if gas is interesting to you-try it. Probably won't have to add as much noseweight.

tim
Old 10-15-2004, 03:01 PM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waldemar,
I've been flying my Brian Taylor Spit for 4 years, 140 flights, with a Moki 1.8. I don't think there is a better engine for the airplane.
Also, I'm still not convinced gassers are more reliable ( I see my friend's gassers dead stick more often than me)
I agree alcohol fuel is more expensive but only in the long run, maybe a couple years of flying, unless you fly your warbird every weekend.
I've seen a 28lbs. yellow SPit fly with a 1.8 with enough power.
JG
Old 10-15-2004, 03:29 PM
wja

I appreciate all the insight I received here thus far. I used this opportunity to do a little research in regards to use of gas engines in RC planes and it definitely appears like there is a growing trend in recommending gas engines for larger size planes (15 lbs and up), with the difference in price of the two fuels being the main reason to go with gas engines where larger displacement engine is required. Anyway, as far as this spitfire is concerned, I probably will go with a Moki 1.8 one reason being that I am concerned about any excess vibration in such a tightly enclosed cowl. Actually I would be interested in hearing from people who fly with gas engines in their scale planes as to whether they have noticed any cracks forming in the finish or any other noticeable effects caused by the excess vibration?
Thanks again,
Waldemar