Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Old 10-25-2004, 02:20 AM
Henrik_Rosen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

I think that P-47 was in 78th Fighter Group, 82nd Fighter Squadron. Its a nice looking Jug.

You can find some info at [link=http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/78thfg.jsp]http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/78thfg.jsp[/link]
Old 10-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob,
you may be right however I just love making things work and if I can replicate scale flaps for my 47 it will give me a lot of satisfaction.

I have asked Robart for some actual size drawings of the hinges so that I can check if the idea is feasible or not. As the flaps will be one of the last things built it is not really a major issue at this stage.

cheers
PEter
Old 10-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Kirk,
mate know what you mean, the dust and accumulated rubbish that builds up is amazing, luckily I just have a concrete fllor so it is easy to clan up and I have lots of room.

Will keep you posted on the flaps. The major problem at the moment is procurement as I can not buy direct from Robart - only US and Canada and the local hobby shops do not stock specialty items not are they very willing to help much. I did contact our Oz distributor who told me yes they could get them in but I have to order through a hobby shop. So Robart adds on their price, then distributor then hobby shop. Bugger that!

If it comes down to I will see if a colleague in our New York office can forward them on to me if I get them sent there.

As for all those extra stringers, you really should not have had to add all of that. The shape of the sheeting should stop a lot of warping. Did you pre shape before fitting?

What I do is to wrap the sheets around a suitable object such a large coffee jar or similar that will give me a correct curvature once it is realeased. Just use rubber bands to hold it in place. Then I soak the sheets overnight in warm water with a a liberal amount o cloudy ammonia, still wrapped around the round tube.

When in the morning you unwrap the sheet from the tube it will be curved and will bend to the fuz shape very easily with no distortions. Try it on your next project.

Was going to post some piccies but keep forgetting to bring the flash card to work with me!!

Have posted 2 pics from a P47 that is at the US hanger at Duxford UK, note on the ELEV LE and on the Rudder LE that it is not a stright line but that the ends sweep back.

Snow, lucky bugger, we have to travel about 700 miles to get to the snow fields during winter if we want to go skiing. Oh well will just have to put up with golden beaches and surf instead

cheers
PEter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82148.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	186623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97532.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	186624  
Old 10-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok a few more piccies of progress.

cheers
Peter

Name:	Zx70509.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	187040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92089.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	187041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86792.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	187042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57643.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	187043  
Old 10-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok last 2 for now

Name:	Sq45909.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	187046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65313.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	187047  
Old 10-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Peter,
Your most likely correct in pre shaping the balsa sheet. I didnt do that, but also feel the space between the stringers was just to wide. Heck after I sand down that 3/32 I was concerned that I would put my fingers right thru it. I joined the wing halfs and made enclosed wheel wells. I just hate open wells that allow all the dirt, dust and whatnot into the wing. I also glassed the wing joint for extra strength as I will be using monokote. Your tail feathers look good with the swept back hinge lines! That I would of liked to have done. At first I was thinking the Canopy was to small, I had heard via this site that it was slightly larger than the 1/7 P-47. Now that I look at it on the fuse it looks fine and it is much larger then the 1/7 canopy. Your thoughts? The wing will be done this week come hell or high water! With the major stuff all done I can then spend the winter months finishing, radio install, hour here hour there etc. I start a new job next Monday so my opportunity to spend alot of time building will be very limited. You mentioned you travel often, I stopped counting roundtrips from US to Asia after I made 50, that was in '92. I was then a expat in Japan, HK, Bangkok, Singapore. I would often take the BA flight (I think it was BA12) that originated in Sidney stopped in BK and continued to London. I always felt sorry for my associates in Australia who had to travel 20+ hours just to get anywhere. We will open a new office in Shanghi this April so long trips again are in my future. Keep on building!
Cheers,
Kirk
Old 10-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gday Kirk,

hmm sounds like you may be oversanding. If you are not going to glass (why the phluck not???) then a light sand, a thin coat of dope and then light sand again should be all that's needed.

Monocoat? Ughhhhh yuk hate the stuff! Give me glass and paint any day.

As for the canopy I would have to go measure the one in the kit then do a calculation based on my 3 views which are 1:72, think the diff is a factor of about 12.5. Anyway knowing TF it most likely is not exact scale but as long as it is pretty close I'll leave it as is.

See we don't have an off season from flying, especially here in Brisbane in God's own country in the State of Queensland - don't worry I'm no Bible basher and no offence if you are!! ok time to change feet. back to my point which was, ummm sound like Billy Connolly without the wit hehehe yeah yeah ok back to my point the weather here even in winter only gets to a min of 18C and max up to say about 30 at times during the day so we have no limit on flying - sooo no huge period when all we do is build. Some snow would be nice though but can not see that beach and snow would go together!

My biggest limitation is time, balancing work, family and hobby plus any other activites is a clever trick. Yes those long flights are the pits and the company i am with you have to be aDirector and above to get Business class so I get to enjoy 24 hr trips crammed into cattle class. sometimes I upgrade myself using points if the flights have room but lately the Oz - UK sector has been chockers so no chance of doing that of late. Going up to SIN is no big deal, it's only about 7 hours from Brisbane and I normally just snooze all the way after a couple of wines.

Let me know if you get down this way anytime and I'll show you Brissy..

cheers
Peter
Old 10-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Kirk RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Peter,
Would love to take you up on the offer next time Im in your hemisphere. Many fond trips to Australia including the Oly games. As we say here in the States we would exchange Canada for Australia in a flash. Almost finished the wing just the port flap left and then align to fuse and bolt. When you put in the flap hinges dont go more than 1/8" forward of the TE on the wing where the flap mates. If you do youll miss the hinge block, The plans dont give you the degree for the holes they just show the jig in pictures. I went 35 degree and its more like 42. No flying again this weekend as we have another snow storm. The Mtns have the most snow for this time of year since '82. Next week on the road, so no building. Hopefully I will spend most of Sunday afternoon on the 47. Wife just returned from a week in NYNY so no CA on the hands tonight. Glass of Port, Nice fire...yadada ...yadada
Keep me posted,
Kirk
Old 10-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kirk,

mate no worries, gives us a hoy when you are down this way. hmm wonder what the Canuks would think about that!!

Anyway actually did a little bit last night, made the rudder skins and sheeted one side of the fin. Went to a Warbirds flyin in Sunday and took my small Pica Spit but did not fly as my battery for the started and glow driver carked it. Was going to borrow one then the wind picked up so thought "ok the gremlins are speaking so leave it on the ground" To which I did.

some nice models there, big P40 @ 90", Spit mk IX at about 94", smil sized texan and Zero. Not a bad turn out actually.

yeah I had heard about those hinges causing probs. Still thinking about using the fowler flap hinges. Robart are posting me some scale drawings of their units so will have a look and see if it is feasible or not.

Well hope you enjoyed the port, the fire and the yadda yadda hehehe

as we say any port in a storm or is it any storm in a port!!

cheers
Peter
Old 10-31-2004, 11:08 PM
Kirk RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Peter,
Well both flaps are now done and the wing aligned and bolted, started on the belly pan. I used 3/32 liteply to cover the bottom hinge gap in the flaps. Worked out very nice plus gave the hinge area a little more strength. The flaps were not that difficult just took a bunch of sanding and patience, thank god for my belt sander. The wing aligned perfect and both wing hold down bolts tapped straight in, cant remember when a wing aligned this easy! No flying here this weekend, 8" of snow today and another 8" tonight. Next weekend is projected to be nice, but I'm off to Wyoming to go Elk hunting with my two teenage boys. After all this snow the Elk should be low in the valleys, just hope the horse's can get through.
Kirk
Old 11-01-2004, 01:58 AM
SBR_RV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

peter oz, well iam down here to in mildura victoria, not much people have heard of wind or rain down here, so many chances to go fly slow flyers, in the summer it gets a little hot in summer though as does any were in australia.
well i have a question for you, where did you get your p-47, was it over seas or in australia, thinking about ordering the smaller size.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:16 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kirk. just dont do any straffing runs on the Elk ok? LOL
Old 11-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Kirk RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob,
We will get them with 300win mags! Hopefully more precision than straffing but one never knows.
Kirk
Old 11-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hmm 7.62mm minigun? might be overkill but it would slice and dice all in one go!!

16: of snow - gees bugger that. We just keep on gettinbg nice balmy 32C and 75% humidity up here in Sunny Queensland. I'll think of you trudging throughthe snow while I'm floating about in the pool!

SBJ: got the 47 on ebay this time last year, it was $210 USD plus $46 for freight - it was a Bargain!

oh progress hehehe forgot what this thread was for.

hmm lets see, sheeted the RHS of the fin and rudder and started sanding the fin LE on LHS prior to sheeting it. Was going to finish it last night but sanding bores me and wife had a nice little satin number on - yadda yadda (fun dector was in bed by 6.30)

Blokes got to do what a blokes got to do . . .

cheers
Peter
Old 11-01-2004, 11:13 PM
SBR_RV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, well does any one know if top-flite are available to order in australia.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SBR,
TF kits are available but the price will leave you speachless. Most likely well over $700 AUD for a GS kit. Best bet is to start emailing the US hobby shops and see which ones will ship to Oz and how much freight will be. Freight could be as high as $160 USD so watch out for that. Tower won't ship kits to Oz so don't bother with them.

Keep an eye on ebay, especially the US site as TF kits come up all the time. I got the TF GS P47 and a TF P40 that way at really good prices.

Try Rick at MajorHobby in the US, he was pretty helpful last time I was making enquiries and he had some good deals on kits and on the frieght as well.

"Rick" <majorhobby@majorhobby.com>

best of luck.

cheers
Peter
Old 11-03-2004, 12:14 AM
SBR_RV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks, luckely im only after a .60 size
Old 11-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Kirk RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok guys got the belly pan all done and the ZDZ engine installed. Next step is to afix the cowl, a nice fiberglass one from Stans will arrive today. After the cowl is installed its time for the wing saddel, I hate that part, its such a afterthought on the TF kits IMO. Put on triangle stock, glob on filler and sand like hell, O Well. The price you chaps have to pay for kits is out of control, we are spoiled here in the States! Peter get back to work..Last bit, sorry about Bush, hell I did my part to try to change it.
Cheers,
Kirk
Old 11-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Bill Jennings
My Feedback: (85)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SBR J
Try Hobbyrama up here in Brisbane. They had some on special last time that I was in there. They are allways looking for a quid so make them an offer.
Regards.
Bill Jennings.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hobbyrama? man there are way too expensive.

here are some ebay items for the TF GS P47, there is also a TF P40 on ebay as well.

Just do a search on all countries and you will be amazed what pops up

Item number: 5931739828
Item number: 5931506551

cheers
Peter
Old 11-04-2004, 12:06 AM
SBR_RV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks ill try it.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

got a little more work done.

main stringers in place and the box type set up behind the firewall plus the rest of the bottom formers.

made a huge boo boo with the formers though. As it said to build F1BL&R, F-2BL&R etc I assumed they were the ones to use - WRONG They become F1B and F2B once glued together. Anyway I eventually re-read the destructions and worked out I was supposed to be using F1 and F2 not F1B and F2B oh well taught me a lesson - never assume anything.

So thee it was with TR glued to LUC & RUC as well as the F1B , F2B and F3 and I'm thinking this does not look right, think LUC and RUC should sit right down on the plans where they meet F1 instead of being about 1cm above the plans.

Maybe I'm dense or was having a blonde day but did anyone else have problems here?

Really though it is a stupid section to be gluing those formers, would think they should be in the sect dealing with the other half the fuz. mumble mumble grumble winge [:@]

Been bidding on ebay of late and have had some luck with digital JR servos, 8231's etc. should be good for this bird

Hope to build a bit more tonight (note how to spell night - not nite - sorry could not help myself). Have to mow the bloody lawn and as i have a nasty chest cold I amy not feel up to doing a lot else besides that.

cheers
Peter

Name:	Qo39446.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	193019  
Old 11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got some more work done on the fuz last few days. All the top formers are now in place, cockpit floor in place and have added in the stringers.

Questions for those who have built this bird.

1. Is it easier to remove the flooring for the cockpit now or later in preparation for the full cockpit kit?

2. It says not to fit top and middle stringers from CB to F9 till told to do so - when do you actually fit these anyone know? Had a read through but have missed it.

Have posted some general pics including the blasted formers that gave me the willies!

cheers
PEter

Name:	Yw67384.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	193905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10155.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	193906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17735.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	193907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41860.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	193908  
Old 11-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

one more

Name:	Bz79638.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	193911  
Old 11-19-2004, 11:03 PM
crawf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking good guys. I also am doing the TF Big Jug. Planning on 9th Air Force, 48th Fighter Group (red & white checkered cowl). Your pics are very helpful. Another good source for info is www.web-birds.com.

Gary

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.