Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete. Here is the video. Hope it tides you over till you get yours in the air.

Hope the rest of you enjoy it as much as I did today

Plane fles like a dream. The new engine is a little slower then the junk engine that I took off. There is only 6 flights on the new engine. The screws all stayed tight on the cowl. Thanks Bob for the tip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp_C...R3mrwTG72MzrgQ
Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old Tom

Good vid and bob did good, now we need a vid with you flying it. I don't know ware your weather is coming from but sure is not out of the north west (MN) as we have had only 1 day when the wind was not at 20 plus, or rain and I did get my weeks out for 2 flights.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Tseres

It's been just as bad here all year. The last 2 days have been wonderful. It was a real pleasure to go flying. They are calling it a summertime Polar Vortex. Temps are 15 F below average and no humidity. I'm not going to complain.

Bob claims he cant see the screen on my camera so I'll have to wait till someone can use my camera. PS. I think Bob is just using it as an excuse so he could fly the plane.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Old Tom and I have been friends for a long time and I am lucky to get to fly all of his planes. His P-47 is a pleasure to fly and look at you all know how he scaled it out and it looks good in pictures, but even better in real life. Old tom always falls for that I can`t use your camera thing. I will have to shot a video of him flying it.
Bob
Old 07-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,good viseo, that 47 of yours looks very nice and very stable in the air. What was your AUW?I'm still working on the 51 inner gear doors. Last door is nearly back to correct shape. Then waiting on the new air cylinders to arrive. Warbirds at Coolum next weekend so need it to be ready by then.Can get back on the 47 once the 51 is out of the way.cheersPeter
Old 07-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Tseres

Pete the plane was 32lb. before I took the air tank out. Then I took the 6.2 oz out. So what it is right now I don't know. I think its still close to 32lb.

If Bob P. was a real friend. He would tell you guys that I do fly my own planes. Just cause there is no video evidence of me flying them has nothing to do with it. LOL.

Last edited by Tseres; 07-20-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

32lbs is not that bad. Mate of mine has the EMS Corsair, 85" and it is coming in at 42lbs !!!!! What a fat little pig.

We are celebrating all things Pork at the moment as a middle finger thing to the ram dam flying carpet crowd.

get some Pork on your Fork !!!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

51 inner gear doors now shaped to where I am happy. Will drill the mounting holes on the second one tonight and get the hinge points epoxied in place. Control hole will be drilled and the ball joint fitted.

All I need now are the new air cylinders ....

Might even be able to get back to doing a few things on the 47!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Tseres

I got to fly the Jug in our anual Tim Mills Memorial Air Show. The plane flew great. I wa the first one off in the WWII crowd. Had 7 planes in the Gagle. Had the prettiest takeoff ever also killed the landing. It was pretty windy so I stayed above corn height. Didn'r bring it down on the deck. Did some Mock Strafing runs, a loop, some barel rolls, some wing over turns and 2 4 point rolls. Totaly surprised myself. LOL. Afterward I got a lot of complements on the plane and a few complements on my flying. My head is swollen to twice it's normal size today as I'm writing this. LOL.

I have to admit that that was the most fun I ever had flying this plane. Only have one picture that was taken with my cell phone. Before you comment on my shirt matching the stripes on the plane. It was a coincedence. That is my club shirt and I had to wear it for the show.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2018019  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM
rt3232

Hay Tom

Glad you got to fly it, our weather still sucks so have only been out once now with AUG just around the corner I am hopping. BTW nice pic.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Well done Tom!

Can't say my day was as good, far from it.

Got to the sunshine Coast MAC field @ Coolum, couple of little issues setting up - warning sign #1

Fueled up, air pumped up, range check done. All good.

Tried start it and could not get fuel to draw. The 51 is fitted with a kine regulator which puts about 10PSI into the tank for constant pressure. Normally works very well. I did note then after I had turned the motor over a fair bit with the starter that the carb was not wet nor was there a pressure release when I pulled the bung out of the overflow line - warning signs # 2 & 3.

Eventually it started but could not get a decent tune, warning # 4

Got it to where I thought it was ok, taxiied out, lined up and off I went. It veered badly to the left on takeoff and should have aborted then, diddn't so my bad.
Engine was not pulling strongly and again should have aborted but elected to plough on after V1 hoping for a decent V2 - did not happen. Warning # 5 & 6

Rotated and started climb out, gear came up nicely. at about 40ft altitude the engine quit just as I started a left hand climbing turn to get into the downwind circuit.

Crap, nose down and it was heading for small to medium sized trees, swung it away from the bigger stuff but too low and slow to staeer towards the flater more open ground so aimed for the smallest patch I could see and pulled back stick to soften the impact if possible. Last I saw it was sliding between tress about 15ft high and looked to be almost wings level.

So disheartedly I put the TX down beside the pilots area and trdged the 400m or so to where it went down. Medium brush and scub along the route. Prayed it was in this area. Nope. It had sapling and small tress all around it but had come down in between them Wing still attached and for a moment I though no damage then saw leading edge and top sheeting of starboard wing was busted - see photos.

It had impacted one smallish sapling right on the corner of the wingtip, an inch the other way and the wing would have had no damage. Stresses radiated out from the tip breaking the leading edge and fracturing the sheeting top and bottom when the bottom spar broke. Glue on the sheer webbing gave way! Had a good look over it and noticed minor damage to the fuz, craks eitherside near radiator exit, fitting in cockpit broke loose from the impact and the centre section where the bolts to hold the wing down had damage.

Picked up all the pieces I could find. Back to the pits area. No one came to help which I was pissed off about. Though one gent did bring my TX back over.

Anyway sat around for a while and ahd morning tea kindly brought up by girly I'm seeing, kind heart that girl.

Got it back on the bench Sunday afternoon and commenced repairs. Spare repaired sunday and have put all the jigsaw pices back in, where sheeting was boken in several pices I have CA'd sheet balsa under it.

Cenre section repairs underway and will finish that tonight.

Final jobs will be to then sand over the top of the sheeting over the repaired area and apply filler as required, sand back, 1oz glass cloth to reinforce and make a nice surface, sand, paint and final detailing to complete the repairs.

Fuz is easy and can be fixed quickly. Will strip out the fuel system and start from scratch with that then do a ground run to make sure it is running correctly.

Lessons Learnt: Listen and take note of warning sides and don't force a flight under those circumstances.

I consider myself very lucky, the model will be repaired and flyable within 2 weeks.

Vampire arrives today or tomorrow too . . . .

Pics . . . and video of the retracts working, yes they are a bit fast. http://youtu.be/BVCEls0Ekvg

Name:	p51 1.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	596.2 KB
ID:	2018437   Click image for larger version

Name:	p51 2.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	689.1 KB
ID:	2018438   Click image for larger version

Name:	p51 3.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2018439   Click image for larger version

Name:	p51 4.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	2018440   Click image for larger version

Name:	p51 5.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	2018441   Click image for larger version

Name:	p51 6.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	2018442   Click image for larger version

Name:	p51 7a.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	2018443   Click image for larger version

Name:	p51 8.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	2018444  

Last edited by Peter_OZ; 07-29-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

new toy ...

Name:	vampire.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2018662  
Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 PM
rt3232

Hay Pete
Is that an EP foame ?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

nope, it is a glass fuz, booms and built up wings
Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Tseres

OK I give up. What is it. At first I thought it was an A-6.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:51 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

DH Vampire . . .
Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 AM
rt3232

That is just what you need another blood sucker

Nice bird seen one a few years back and it was a good flyier don't recall what it was using for power.

More Pic's Please

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-31-2014, 05:18 AM
Tseres

Originally Posted by Peter_OZ
DH Vampire . . .

Thats what I was thinking after my last post. Couldn't remember what it was called. I think my Old F@R+ Syndrome is getting worse.

More pictures for Bob.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

haha guys,

naw she is just somebody I see now and then, she is very keen and I'm like, "whatever" Suits me. all the power on my side and that is where it will stay. If she gets pushy I'll flick her off.

It is a nice model but the biggest issues with it is no inlet ducting. It is supposed to come with bifucated inlet ducts according to the manual on page 52. I have contacted HK but no reply of course. I even emailed the manufactuer about it too. Fingers crossed as I really dont want to have to try and make one.

Will get some more pics when I can.

P51 progress. All the structural repairs to the wing are completed and I will start the sanding back ready to fill & glass tonight. While the filler is going off I will start on the small repairs to the fuz. they are all very minor so won't take much. Biggest job is redoing the tank plumbing.

P51 should be off the bench in a week or two.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

The Vampire has a 90mm 1500kv brushless fan with a 100A opto ESC. Power is a 5A 6S Lipo pack.

I don't know much about these things yet . . .
Old 07-31-2014, 06:18 PM
rt3232

Pete

That sounds pretty strong for a first go at the sparky thingy, it's like a whole new world, at least for me I have also gone to the sparky a (HOG) it's a delta elavons and just a 3S- 2200 ma lipo, our bunch fly combat with them and it is a hoot.

well have fun with it.

Cheers Bob T

Weather is final getting good so maybe I can get the 47 and the Corsair out
Old 08-01-2014, 05:45 AM
Tseres

The big thing I learned about Lipos is to not run them down. Set your timer to where you are leaving about 25% in the pack. THey will also work beetter if you break in the batteries. Yup you heard right. You break them in by flying your plane for 4 minutes at half throttle for 5 flights. Learned that from the Pattern Guys. It helps them last longer and it does something to them internaly that I can't understand.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Tom,
thanks for that mate, good advice. I am thinking maybe a 6 min flight should suffice on it.
cheers
me
Old 08-02-2014, 04:08 AM
rt3232

Pete

That is what we get 6min and by the time we get them back to the bench meter shows about 25/26 % have not had one puff up as yet, but then I only slow charge them

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

sounds good Bob. What watt ()meter are you using to test the capacity?

I have to get some EC5 connectors to replace the ones on the Lipos and ESC as the ones fitted have exposed conductor. The EC% are fully insualted and I can slip a spare insulator over the end to be double sure.

Went out and bought a small 7.62mm ammo box on Saturday. It is made of steel, has a rubber seal in it and I can store 5 or 6 lipo packs in it safely. If one cooked off if would just smoulder as no Oh 2 !!

Still waiting on HK to come back to me about the inlet ducting. I got on to Lander Technology who are the manufactuer of the vampire about the inlets too, they deny it is one of theirs yet the box has their details and even packing tape has their company name and logo on it. c'mon Mr Lander we ae not dumb! Sneaky plicks

Will just have to wait and see how I go with that.

Got out and had 6 flights with the astrohog yesterday and was nice to fly something nimbole and quick again. Yes the hog is quick with a FS91 up front :-)
I have gotten too lazy flying the old Cub and Tigermoth ponderous old beasts they are.

time to get back to the quicker stuff.

Off on a work trip for a few days today.

cheers
P

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.