Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Old 10-29-2014, 04:53 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete Look's good, and good luck with the repair in the landrover

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Pete! Could this be the the burst of activity that sees the Jug finally finished?????? Would be fun to fly with you before my P-47 is worn out

I recently took "Rough & Ready" and Richard's latest "Slick Chick" down to Cootamundra for the "Invitational Scale Classic Downunder". Managed to win "Flying Only" with Rough & Ready and got third in Team with Slick Chick. As a matching squadron mates they look great together.

The whole event was an absolute blast with good weather and great company, the best week of modelling I have had in years. Was worth the 20 hour drive each way!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nice Jugs 2.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	600.0 KB
ID:	2043050   Click image for larger version

Name:	NIce Jugs 1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	2043051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nice Jugs 3.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	2043052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nice Jugs 4.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	505.4 KB
ID:	2043054  
Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 AM
rt3232

Boltman, lets hope so

That is a great looking pair of 47's and good for you on the third place

cheers Bob T
Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ticketec
atta boy!

You doing the maiden of the Vamp at TMAC or Gratton??

Thanks

dave
Gratton - get your lazy butt out there :-)
Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

clean bench? That is only half of it, the rest is covered in stuff. Should see the others!!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

thanks Bob and Tom, good to be working on it.

Mick, I am hoping so. Even though I have repairs to the 1/4 Cub - read rebuild and need to build new wing for the Seafury I think it is time to complete this blasted thing and fly it.

Yes would be fun to fly together but I will fly top cover to your <12 inch low passes!!!!

Sounds like a fun weekend but man that is a loooong drive!

Landrover - I cleaned the MAP sensor as it was badly gunked up. Booked it into MR Automotive at Redcliffe who are Landy speciailsts and know my car. anyway they went all over it and the intercooler hose was ok, could not find anything else wrong. Said it was probably the gunked up MAP sensor hat was messing everything up.

and the best part was no charge!! Woo hoo. Then say by the water on a 1 hour conference call. Beats sitting in the office!

More painting tonight.

cheers
me
Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Sprayed couple more coasts in the starboard wheel well, inner door and the outer doors.

First 2 coasts on the port well and it's inner door.

Port well and door will take a couple more coats yet but I'm almost out of the paint. 2 more bottles on their way so that should be enough. Need to keep a little for the tail wheel doors and under the cowl flaps.

Name:	p47 -12.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2043399   Click image for larger version

Name:	P47 -13.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2043400  
Old 10-31-2014, 02:29 AM
CRJDriver
My Feedback: (57)

Just finishing up the panel lines. Rivet burning process next.

Name:	IMG_3334.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2043598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3335.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2043599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3336.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2043600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3337.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2043601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3338.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2043602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3341.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2043603  
Old 10-31-2014, 03:37 AM
rt3232

Hay CR looks like you will have it ready for next flying season, looks great.

Cheers Bob T
AMA!3377
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 AM
ken crane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey everyone working on my new kit. doing a 88 cc pylon racer out of my p47. question, I am modifying as I go along for strength but I am concerned about how the trailing edge sheeting for the elevator just blends into 3/32 balsa. what are your thoughts on adding a 3/32 balsa trailing edge to have the sheeting land on ? the ends of the ribs are 3/32 and it would fit fine.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:44 AM
rt3232

ken
If I were to do some thing like that I think I would be looking at C/F lighter and stronger, the only thing I have had is dings in and out of the shop door shold have installed a 36" door in stead of the std. excess door.

cheers bob t
Old 10-31-2014, 11:51 AM
ken crane

Originally Posted by rt3232
ken
If I were to do some thing like that I think I would be looking at C/F lighter and stronger, the only thing I have had is dings in and out of the shop door shold have installed a 36" door in stead of the std. excess door.

cheers bob t
thanks much, I am going to glass mine so ill just have to be careful with hanger rash
Old 11-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

dunno & don't care, this is a warbird forum not a pylon racer forum. FFS
Old 11-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

P47 progress is plodding along as time permits. Most of the painting of wheel wells and the gear doors with zinc chromate yellow is completed, just a couple more coats on the outer doors to do when I get a couple more jars of the paint in.

The Testeors Model Master paint in this colour is quite glossy so will lay down a light coat of matted clear once I have done a bit of dirtying up during the weathering stage.

Due to our high humidity Will have to get some slow thinners as otherwise the acrylic will bloom as it dries almost on impact with the surface.

Still a few little jobs to sort out before I do the painting so will get into those over the next couple of weeks then do a final light wet sand with 600 to get it all prepped.

Will have to borrow my mates touch up gun as it is much better then my one, might get him to assist with the painting as I tend to get heavy handed with the coats and I want to keep weight buildup from paint to a minimum if possible.

Weekend fun: Out to Gratton field for warbirds and took 3 models out. Tiger Moth (not a warbird in it's scheme but who cares), DH Vampire and the Mustang.

Forgot to take the lipos for the Vampire so could not test fly it grrrr

One flight with the Mustang, engine problems to start with, new plug and retuned it and eventually found a sweet spot on the carby that it liked. Nice take off, a few circuits to get ailerons trimmed, couple of cuban 8s, a roll or two and a loop, all perfomed nicely. Couple more circuits. Neves getting to me by then and I decisded to land. Bit rushed in the approach and plopped it down a bit hard, one gear rail got split. Not a biggie, easy fix.

Flew the Tiggy lots, posted some mobius footage of the flights on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8jgMVpQzMo&list=UUoqihv6LbuzgpBPPPWW1ToQ cheers
me
Old 11-03-2014, 04:01 PM
rt3232

Hay Pete not to bad nice vid with the tiggy. With that big field you should not have any problems landing just more throttle management, but that wind mill look like a great target.

Our season is done for this year getting cold 17 deg's at nite but warm and windy during the day.
Still picking away at the Corsair, all of the structure issues are resolved now to finish the sheeting and once that is complete it will go on a back burner till after the first of the year. will finish the repairs on the Weeks, then the weather should be good enough to glass the corsair and then paint both birds

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 PM
ken crane

wow that wasn't nice. jerk.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day Bob,
Tiggy is easy to land, cut throttle as soon as I turn on to finals and point the nose downhill, quick flare at the end and it is down. Very docile.

Mustang I am way out of practice with, like you said throttle management on it and I need to not rush the landing, take time to get settled into the downwind, gear down, stage 1 flaps, trim and throttle then stage 2 flaps as I get onto finals. I'ts normally very nice to land.

Think my mistake was trying to flare too much instead of wheeling it on as I am too used to the Tiggy now. Just need practice.

As for you glassing, if you use the deluxe resin you don't need to wait for warmer weather. Just a thought.

Post some PICS!!

Our weather is getting stinking hot and humid with it.

cheers
P
Old 11-03-2014, 07:33 PM
rt3232

Trade you 50/50 I could handle that I am off work for three days, so between yard work and the shop and driving the wife nuts, I am in tall cotton

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

well sounds like you are having fun mate :-)
Old 11-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Originally Posted by ken crane
wow that wasn't nice. jerk.

well you know where you can go wanker, don't let the door hit you in the ar se on your way out!!

Love morons like that!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

No progress this week, weather is far too humid and work has been intense, couch has won each night.

that is my excuse and I am sticking to it. Saturday tomorrow and will be back in theshed though going to go look at a BBQ to buy in the morning. Ahhhhh love the smell of meat in the morning!! Or afternoon or evening or anytime for that matter. Bacon is good in the morning.

mmmmmm bacon!

where is the fool and his pylon racer, I need to stir that idiot up some more!! Fancy coming on here trying to turn a warbird into a pylon racer and expecting help. Tosser!!!

We have G20 happening next week and whole city has gone nuts in case rent a crown goes bonkers.

Your lame duck oh bummer will be causing a ruckus no doubt and our PM tony abbott has vowed to rip into Putin over the MH17 shootdown, should be an interesting week!! Black belt karate vs a boxer/street fighter/competing ironman!

Be fun to see the 2 of them in a MMA ring, no rules, just slug it out.

Love my tangents

Now where is that fool pylon racer . . . .
Old 11-06-2014, 04:30 PM
rt3232

Hi Pete
I know just enough OZ 101 to understand you and I totally agree the only good thing is the right guys have both houses hear now, so will just have to see how it plays out

The only thing, I think it should be a cage match, and you shoot the bugger that wins

Cheers

Ps I have watch those big rc pylon racer's over at Oshkosh most were modded 47 with hopped up 62's and they really skreem around , and they pull enough G's to make the wing bow in the turns. not my cup of tea but fun to watch

Last edited by rt3232; 11-06-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

yes well at least you guys have a chance to repeal all the commo policies oh bummer has put in and put a bloody great big fence up down south.

Seems the world has gone crazy and the lunatics are in charge of the asylum.

We are having major problems with the "offended by everything" crowd here. Man wish they would just bugger off. anyway enough of politics.

Agree about pylon racers, one of the clubs I go to has a couple of chaps who fly pylon but the super fast carbon fibre models. those things do about 300 km/h and are scary, one slip and they would be through you before you could even react.

Will be doing some more on the 47 this weekend, couple of coats on the outer gear doors if my paint arrives today.

Fix the retract rail in the mustang and get a plane ready to fly tomorrow. Might be a simple plane day tomorrow, astrohog and the little spitfire.

cheers
me
Old 11-11-2014, 11:41 AM
rt3232

Not much going on hear, we got the bits of some big pacific and bearing sea storm with sleet, snow etc, etc. So I am in my shop with the heat up and working on the Corsair and the weeks, seams I go 2 steps fwd and 1 back I am thinking I would rather build than do a repair.

cheers Bob T
Old 11-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Well G20 has come and gone, we have had a heat wave so that kept most of rent a crowd away. A few minor things but all in all very tame. We had our F/A-18 Classic and Super Hornets buzzing around all the week and weekend, hard to spot at 25k feet in low viz grey scheme.

Was tracking our tankers and AWACS on flight radar 24, pretty cool. No transponder signals for the bugs so could not track them.

Still waiting on the chomate yellow to arrive. Far too hot in the shed to do much and have been away on a work trip all of last week except Friday.

test flew and crashed the vampire on Sunday.

First flight was ok. Took off fine but ailerons very sensitive. One roll at a zillion degrees a sec roll rate, wekll it seemed like that. It was very fast on the couple of times I gave it full noise. Mostly abouit 2/3 to 1/2 throttle. any less and it started to wallow about and was not happy.

Reasonable though fast landing with 1/2 flaps.

Lipo and ESC warm but not hot so considering we had 38C at 8am I thought was pretty good.

I reduced aileron throws from 85% to 65% and increased expo to 45%.

Coffee and a chat then time for 2nd flight.

Take off went ok, gear up and climb out nice. Ailerons better but still sensitive and easy to over bank. Ok full noise, man this thing is QUICK!!

Couple of low passes, a roll and a loop then thought one more low pass then into circuit for landing.

Turned into the strip and applied full noise excpet there was no noise - opps! Low and running out of options I elected to try and belly land. I was far too fast, the speed was deceptive. Anyway it banged in instead of skidding in and bounced up to about 6 foot while doing a slow roll to the right then catwheeled down the strip and resultant carnage.

FARK! Passed the Tx over head down and hear a voice "it's on fire!" Opps there is thick grey smoke and a bight green to orange flame in the belly. Spint over and pulled the lipo out which came loose as the ESC was burnt out.

Not sure if the ESC went over current or over temp. Combo of both most likely. Anyway it certainly burnt itself out bigtime and cost me a model.

So now what to do? I do have another of these Vampires in the box ready to build and I have lots of spare bits pulled out of the wreck.

Needs a beefed up ESC though. I'm thinking flying at ful;l to 3/4 throttle was more then the ESC could handle on such a hot day. Yes I did have slots in the belly to alow cooling air to get over the ESC.

Anyway.

Name:	vampire after.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	676.1 KB
ID:	2048048   Click image for larger version

Name:	vampire before.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	757.6 KB
ID:	2048049  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.