Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfect day for throwing some paint around??

Thanks

dave
Old 03-01-2015, 01:33 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might have been but had some toehr jobs to do. Mowed the jungle, it will need doing again during the week. One arvo after work I think.

Then spent most of the day working on the Discovery. Quick trip to Supercheap for a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner which is pretty similar to Freon.

Checked fluids, then cleaned first the MAP sensor then did the MAF sensor.

Also checked movement on the turbo vane actuator. The arm moves freely but could not see of feel the actuator rod, mind you it is so cramped it is hard to see much of anything. It is going in for a service in a couple of months so will get them to check it while it is up on th hoist.

Anyway with the sensors cleaned it is running much sweeter with good pick up again. Dragged off some goose in a boy racer car the other day hehehe Not bad for a 2.8 Tonne vehicle.

Sunday was megga humid and hot as you will know Dave. Gratton field was on and I totally forgot ! Needed to certify the Mustang too.

anyway took the foamie corsair and the astrohog out and flew the wings off the corsair, 6 flights I think and a couple on the hog. One of the main retract gear door servos packed it in again so just left the doors open.

Fixed it with a new servo when I got home.

Tail wheel finally died on the astrohog so shouted it a new one too.

Apart from that it was amtter of finding somewhere cool, under the trees in the backyard filled that need.

Somebody said to me at the field yesterday about the Astrohog "are you still flying that thing" hmmmpppffff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3137.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2077820  
Old 03-01-2015, 03:08 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody said to me at the field yesterday about the Astrohog "are you still flying that thing" hmmmpppffff [/QUOTE]

That kinda sounds like me and the OLD dragon lady it's about 25+ on the 4th. engine

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

mine isnt quite that old Built and flown in 2002. 2nd engine, first was the OS FS70, I then fitted the current FS91 not that it really needed it, just wanted more vertical.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
rt3232

Hi Pete

What shaken ? are you making any head way ?
Weather hear is finally warming up, but have some family things to do next week, but then I think I will get to squirt paint on the Corsair and the weeks and I might get the new bird ready for a maiden I would take some pic's but every thing in the shop is helter skelter with 3 projects going at once.

Tried the E-Mail for Old Tom but got a msg back as undeliverable addy

You had to have problems with your vehicle, and now I/we are having problems with ours

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gd'ay Bob,
no mate, bugger all really. Went in the shed a couple of times, kicked the tyres, bah humbug really. Not in the mood for much.

Our Club had a warbird meet on Sunday, Mustang is not certified and I'm not current on it at present so only took the FMS Corsair out. Had 3 flights but man it was sooooo busy there. Last flight I was trying to retrive the mode3l as the tail wheel had stuck and some tosser who was rather impatient was trying to take off and trying to put the hurry up on me. He got quite a few words along the lines of "be patient you impatient @#$%#" grrrrrr

Anyway all good. By that time there was always 6 or more models up and too busy for this black duck. Normally club events are very well run and the public are not allowed down in the pit area. For some reason this time they were and they were milling around like lost sheep getting in the way and even walking around the models as well as little kids roaming about. Not a good mix at all.

I took off about 1030, home unloaded and went to the beach for the rest of the day.

Need to get motivated, not just with the models.

I did do some housework though lol!

I'll send Tom an email and see if it goes through. Hope all is well in his world.

xray this arvo and dentist on thursday. another scan thing on my tummy on friday. Yay

thats it for me
P
Old 03-16-2015, 10:13 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Pete,

i was up flying at the jet event at Coolum on Saturdays so couldn't getaway to go flying on Sunday as well, but I did pop into TMAC on our way home from IKEA at around 1:30pm, most were gone or finishing packing up by the time I got there. Was told it was a pretty full flight line. Gregor lost his tiggy DEEP in to trees section as I was leaving.

might catch you next time!

thanks

dave
Old 03-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day Dave,

good meet at Coolum? Wind was up I heard?

IKEA, hate the place.

Yes extremely full flight line but mainly all small stuff, a lot of foamies

There won't be much left of that Tiggy if it wnt in deep into the trees, it's really hard to find a model that goes into that area. I lost the cockpit part of my FMS Corsair a while back, was luck to take a good bearing on where it went down then took a compass reference later. I found it.

Old RAAF grid reference method . . .

Still have not finished the wiring and location of the ESC in the Vampire. Or anything else.

Did get my donk for the Cub back after some TLC on it.

Hope to catch up soon.

cheers
me
Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Progress in general.

Did not fly yesterday, not really in the mood.

I did get teh Vampire completed and ready for flight though.

Pulled the old Mustang out to run the engine. Have gone back to a stright 12% oil, no nitro fuel mix which the ST-2500 seems to like more. Engine ran well but have a few other problems. One of the cables to tail wheel has broken and it is a real PITA to get at, can only access via the opening for the wheel.

Also one of the mains has now started to badly bind. Will put that out and inspect to see what the problem is.

We have the Easter long weekend coming, 4 days and I have taken the Tuesday off as well to give myself 5 days off. Borrowing a gravity feed spray gun off a mate and will make a start on the P47, even if it is just the light greay under and darker top grey for upper surfaces.

For anybody interested I developed a very simple Excel fuel mix calculator.

It will calculate glow fuel by %, say 20% oil, 7% nitro and calculates the quanity needed based on the %. Only in metric though.

It will also calculate the petrol/Gas to oil ratios and amounts of each. So for 20:1 mix it tells you how much oil for say a litre of petrol. You can change the amount of petrol or the ratio

Dont think I can upload it here. If anyone wants a copy sing out.

Name:	fuel calc.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	2085103  

Last edited by Peter_OZ; 03-29-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:31 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Fuel calculator v2.0

think it reads a little easier.

Name:	fuel calc v2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	2085241  
Old 03-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers to Oz winning the Cricket World Championship and for my 60th birthday.

Name:	IMG_0525.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2085258  
Old 03-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Hey Tom,

welcome back mate. Yes we kicked their @$%$ in the Cricket but alas they will do same to us in the Rugby. Rugby League we used to be dominant as well but of late it is pretty much an even contest.

Where have you been hiding? Tried eamiling you but the addy I had bounces.

Poor old Bob was beside himself

Congrats on the 60th Happy Birthday. Man the years go by, I'm 54 now.

Hopeing for good weather this Easter as I have 5 days off and borrowed a very nice spray gun from my mate Ron. I have a pesky P47 in it's sights . . .

cheers
me
Old 03-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Nordicz
My Feedback: (7)

Pete, Tom and Bob,

I was beginning to wonder if everyone just took off and forgot the thread. Happy Birthday to you Tom. If i make 60 I'll be laughing. Pete some inspiration for perspiration for ya. Not a Top Flight but a nice Ziroli I acquired by happenstance. Hope all is well with all of you and Pete sound like the weather has broke for you.

Cheers,
Z

Name:	20150324_174022.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	672.1 KB
ID:	2085305  
Old 03-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Nordicz

Quite a bit of time on the spitty also. Yes I know this isn't the Spitfire thread but I haven't been resting on my laurels.

Name:	20150312_171124.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	902.2 KB
ID:	2085315   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150312_171212.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2085316  
Old 03-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Z very nice mate.

I have a fleet of Spits, not all flying of course.

A very old Pica 65" Spit that still has Dave Platt's name on the plans and shows a side valve OS 60 2 stroke engine on it. God knows how old the model is but I would think around 30 years. I've had it since 1999, crashed and repaired it twice.
Has a ASP .61 2 stroke in it and spring air retracts. It is a handful to fly, especially landing and I only trott it out occassionally.

Have a 90" Mk XII spit that is from a departed Aussie range from JMI. Fiberglass fuz and built up wing and tail surfaces. G38 in the nose and retracts by FK ( F#$% knows). Have not flown it yet though have had it since about 2003. I also have the P51 in the range @ 82".
This Spit needs a bit of a refurb and I should get into it as it is minimal work to have a nice warbird in the air.

My other Spit is a 96" Span with glass fuz and foam core wings. Not built. I have a G62 to go in it and retracts by Customs Retracts, an Oz manufacturer. It looks like an early Mark but I am adding a nose plug to turn it into either a MK VIII or IX.

Weather is being very painful, drizzle at the moment and still humid. Forecast is not that promising for the weekend but will see how I go squirting some paint.

cheers
me
Old 03-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Tseres

I have to admit that I have neglected this thread but will never ever quit it. I went back to work and I'm pretty tired by the time I get home. I check my email and if there is no posts I go on. I did change my email and have not updated here on RCU. I need to do that.

I'm still here!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Hey Tom flick me an email mate :-)

got to admit since I put on about 15kg I get pretty tired of an evening and just veg when I get home. No one to nag me anymore so do whatever the hell I feel like. That has good and bad to it.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Nordicz

Oz,
Not to bore you to death but I've got the Pica 88" sorted out a bit with a G62. The rehab has been a bit of a ******* since the spitty doesn't present alot of room for things. But I'm giving it a go. One of the fun things and frustrating at the same time is I have to fabricate all of the missing bits. I'd love to see that 96" of yours take shape. Not many of that size flying about. I understand when you say a person is tired at the end of work day. Often I don't event want to look at things. Cheer on ya mate and the rest of the lot.

Z

Name:	20150328_204122.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2085332   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150322_190736.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2085333  
Old 03-30-2015, 05:44 PM
rt3232

Hi Tom I am still at it also working that is. this has been a long cra@@#y winter as I have had to much repair to do. My 47 is good to go, the Corsair is ready for paint as is the Weeks bipe I have retired the old Dragon lady, and my son got me a Extra 300s a great planes Arf and I understand why they discontinued it, covering sucks, So with luck I will have 4 birds ready to go when the weather warms up.
Oh and still flying a thing called a HOG little sparky delta thing for combat much fun all most indestructible.

Cheers Bob T

Pete copied the fuel thing and plan on doing the conversion to gallons and oz's
Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 PM
rt3232

Hay Tom is the liguid in that glass home made ?

Z nose on that bird look mean

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Z good work squeezing a G62 in the nose of that spit. Are you planning on doing IMAC with it? My 90" span spit only has a G38 and my mate Ron who has flown it many times states it has loads of grunt.

Yeah I have had the big spit sitting there since about 2004 or so. Too many other things going on.

Still have a TF Cessna 182 kit I bought on my first trip to the US of A back in 96 to build as well.

That was a fun trip, new years in new orleans, what a hoot.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:43 AM
spaceworm

Hello.
I just scored a C. A. P. P-47 Kit (partially assembled a long time ago), in an estate sale. I have the plans, although they are a bit fragile. The fuse is built and sheeted. The wing is built, but not sheeted. I am missing the control surfaces in the built up parts. It has Wing lead-screw retracts with shock absorbing gear legs, and a nice glass cowl. Also a retracting tail wheel gear, and nice pilot figure. Pictures to follow.
I plan to complete this model and fly it with a Saito 120 FS. Is this too much engine? I have a Saito .56 and a Saito 1.00, and a YS 120, but the 1.00 and YS 1.20 are in other planes right now. I would rather use a 4 stroke, but I also have Several .61s, including a Kraft K61, and a Merco .61. I also have a Super Tigre .90 and an ASP 1.09. I would appreciate any inputs on both the plane and engine recommendations. I thank you for your comments and look forward to additional information.
I also have 3 Spitfire in 3 different sizes.
Thank you.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 03-31-2015, 01:21 PM
Tseres

Originally Posted by rt3232
Hay Tom is the liguid in that glass home made ?

Z nose on that bird look mean

Cheers Bob T
No. But the wineries are so small that in this country they would be considered home made. LOL.

You going to Toledo? I'll be there Saturday only.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:00 PM
rt3232

Tom
Put in for time off but got denied as another person beat me to the days, and H/D is putting the screws to part timers now, as we may start to see some green in the grass and buds on the trees.
in the river valley south of us there some nice local wineries making some liquid that seams to go down easy , but I have been regulated to a half glass do to this D#$m meniers thing I have.Flip me an e-mail

weather is nice I am getting to squirt paint tomarrow on the Corsair and the weeks

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 PM
Nordicz

Oz,

That G62 is a pita to fit. I still haven't quite got the cowl figured out. The plan wasn't to oversize it but I needed the weight up front and had one of these on the shelf. I was trying to rehab this one with left over bits and pieces and have not spent too much so far so good.

Z

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.