Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mick,
cool. I'll get myself a mattress and camp in the back of the Disco. Have a DVD player in the back - now if I could only strem to it from my iphone I could watch netflix haha

Mustang is good to go. FMS corsair is good to go. Vampire isnt as bad as I thought so will fix that up over the weekend and hopefully have that ready as well. Only have 2 x 6S packs so have to share them between the corsair and vampire. Can't afford more at present.

cheers
me
Old 05-28-2015, 02:40 PM
BOLTMAN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Robart Jug flew yesterday. Pretty straight forward other than a bit of down trim. It's a really nice flier and slows down well to land. 2 flights done and now a thorough check over before taking it to Bundy next weekend for their warbird fly in.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JQ2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	2099265  
Old 05-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Well done Mick, bundy will be a jug a thon!

Shame mine isnt ready yet.

Took Friday off work so should be able to get up there earlish
Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 PM
G T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOOD NEWS - Boltman
it sound like a nice model from what you have advised.. What did you think of the power with the DA85 ?.. I have an EVO 80 for mine but also thinking about a twin for power.
whats your thoughts on the power you have on tap now. Is your scheme on the RAF 134 squadron based in Burma ?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 PM
BOLTMAN

GT, the power with the 85 is more than plenty. Take off at around half throttle. I think a twin would not be a simple install in this Jug. Your 80 will be fine, just build a really solid engine box to help absorb the vibration.

Yes the scheme is 134 Sqn Burma. It's not a scheme that is seen alot. The contrast of the stark white on the dull camo sets it off. The stripes also provide great visual reference in flight.

Rather than hijack Pete's thread I will post some more pics & info in the Thunderbolt Brotherhood thread.

Mick
Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mick

Pete wont care as I have a turtle that move faster than he does

Sorry Pete just had to do it. weather hear is still the pitts as the good days have not matched my days off, as I am still working part time in retail at H/D, my 47 is ready just need a fair day, rain to day so getting the weeks ready for some paint as soon as it dries up a bit.

Cheers Bob T

P.S.I am old so I am naturally slow

Last edited by rt3232; 05-29-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:59 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Mick!!

I wont make bundy because Im still steaming ahead to get ready for Maryborough jets. Did the first engine run of the new turbine, but still have some ways to go. if it was ready and certified I would have gone to bundy with the Hawk!!

rt3232... hahaha!!!! but I do feel slightly bad ribbing pete to much of late, he's actually making progress on the 47 and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger!

Pete: I finally got out today to test the new JR airspeed sensor. WOW!! love it!

I just sticky taped it in place on my FMS (foamie) P-51 as that's my standard test mule airframe. I learned that the pitot probe cover must be off before you power up the model as the sensor carried out an initialisation calibration and the cap on will trap air pressure that will lead to false readings.

Once sorted though, I did some stall testing with shaneo looking at the screen while I stalled the model. Once we'd done that a few times and got kind of an average stall speed (in dirty config), I added a few km/h (or knots if you prefer) above that and set the stall warning buzzer on the radio. it took three adjustments of the stall speed to get it to a place were I was happy with the amount of control and response time had to deal with the stall but now It add so much confidence to flying to know that if you mis calculate the head wind or engine idle that the model will not fall out of the sky without warning.

So what I found was that you can carry out an approach at what you think is the right approach speeds and not have to add a random margin of speed to be safe. We triggered the alarm to flaps fully extended so that it doesn't carry on while taking off, but I guess you know you are at a safe takeoff speed once it stops, so that is another option as well. Towards the end of flying yesterday I was getting to the point were the stall buzzer was going off as i touched down. felt great!

Well worth it!!! Very Very happy with it. will have to think about getting a few more units for some of my other models as this one was bought with the Hawk in mind.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by ticketec; 05-30-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:22 PM
rt3232

Dave
Yes I know about ribbing him , but he is 10k miles away so he can't slap me on the back of the head, I just hope he take lite of it, at our little club hear we poke fun at one another all the time. it's just the way this old bugger is.

By the way have fun with that noise maker your tuning and good luck with the maiden

cheers Bob T
Old 05-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

sounds like a good gadget there Dave.

Well the FMS Corsair is no more. Little brat doing 3D towards the end of the strip, did not announce he was there doing it and I cam through at about 50ft, pulled up do a roll and wack straight into it. Scratch two models. Little turd was cring, serves him right he has been a bloody menace for ages and has been warned several times.

His father came up to lend solace, aka makes excuses and I set him straight but in friendly terms, told him he should be in circuit and calling manoeuvres. Not doing what he feels like!!

Anyway will see if I can get one up from Sydney overnight and get it ready for Bundy

Old 05-31-2015, 11:27 AM
LASHMETT75
My Feedback: (20)

Did the maiden this morning of my TF GS P47 Tarheel Hal. Electric setup on 10s. We CG'd the plane and the nose did drop. But after the maiden flight I looked at the elevators and they are almost level. The take off was straight forward, no flaps, and it took 7 clicks of up and 0 aileron. Mid flaps took the 7 trim clicks of up elevator 0 aileron, and full flaps took 7 clicks of up elevator and 2 rt aileron. The landing was the best part...right down the middle and when the tail settled it was right on the center painted line. Only draw back of this setup was after the 3:30 min flight the packs only had 30% left. But I did spend 1/2 the flight at full throttle.

The all up weight im guessing is around 24lbs. I have a GS TP Corsair and it was 25lbs and this is definatley not heavier.

Motor is a Rimfire 50cc, CC HV 120 ESC, 2-5s-5300 electrifly 25c packs in parallel.
Futaba digital HV servos all the way around
Robart Air up and down landing gear, including Tail wheel.
Scale full body pilot.
Fromeco 2s 5200 li-on pack for rcvr.

I will post the video when I get it from my buddy.

James
Old 05-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

well done on successful flight.

electric in something this big really is not for me, expecially a 3 min flight.

Mmmm fill up a 32oz tank for around say 12 to 15 mins of flight with unrestricted throttle. Petrol, you call it gas which is rather cheap no matter where you live and a bit of oil.

As opposed to 10S packs at what price and lifespan?

Each to their own.

I like a bit of noise.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:32 PM
LASHMETT75

Thanks Peter

I agree with the short flight times. That's why I already have a DA50 and fuel tank. I do like the quiet of electric and just the prop rippin the air. I will stay electric for a few more flights and most likely switch out after.

James
Old 05-31-2015, 01:46 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

the 47 will be a good cancvas to explore both power options. don't get me wrong I have both types of models. Well the FMS Corsair is departed but hoping another will arrive this week. Also have a HK Vampire EDF with a 90mm fan and running on a 5A 6S pack. Corsair runs on same pack and I get 5 mins out it and about 4 mins out the Vampire.

P47 news. I went digging through all my boxes of bits Saturday and found the box of goodies from Get Stencils that I got back in about 2005 or so . . .

Within that box of graphics are paint masks for the stars and bars!! Bonus! Now ants have had a party in the box and it was full of ant dust, bast@##@% of things. Think they are ok, bit of a clean up.

Now to figure out how to use them properly.

Dave aka ticketec is an expert on them so will pick his brain and he lives about 40 mins away too - - - - - DAVO!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2015, 02:16 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Originally Posted by BOLTMAN
GT, the power with the 85 is more than plenty. Take off at around half throttle. I think a twin would not be a simple install in this Jug. Your 80 will be fine, just build a really solid engine box to help absorb the vibration.

Yes the scheme is 134 Sqn Burma. It's not a scheme that is seen alot. The contrast of the stark white on the dull camo sets it off. The stripes also provide great visual reference in flight.

Rather than hijack Pete's thread I will post some more pics & info in the Thunderbolt Brotherhood thread.

Mick
Mick post as many as you like here mate!!
Old 05-31-2015, 03:55 PM
ticketec

Originally Posted by Peter_OZ
the 47 will be a good cancvas to explore both power options. don't get me wrong I have both types of models. Well the FMS Corsair is departed but hoping another will arrive this week. Also have a HK Vampire EDF with a 90mm fan and running on a 5A 6S pack. Corsair runs on same pack and I get 5 mins out it and about 4 mins out the Vampire.

P47 news. I went digging through all my boxes of bits Saturday and found the box of goodies from Get Stencils that I got back in about 2005 or so . . .

Within that box of graphics are paint masks for the stars and bars!! Bonus! Now ants have had a party in the box and it was full of ant dust, bast@##@% of things. Think they are ok, bit of a clean up.

Now to figure out how to use them properly.

Dave aka ticketec is an expert on them so will pick his brain and he lives about 40 mins away too - - - - - DAVO!!!!!!

I'll start clearing the work bench.......

Thanks

dave
Old 05-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

good lad!!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:57 PM
LASHMETT75

Maiden video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dnFlNZ...ature=youtu.be

James
Old 06-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

nice one. I dream about mine only being 24lbs. Is that with lipos fitted or just the model?

I expect mine to be around 32, maybe 34 lbs.

Re-balanced the Vampire last night, no idea how I managed to get that so wrong previously, added about 4 ounces to the nose. Now while fitting the canopy hatch I managed to shove its locating pin into the lipo, yup smoke started pouring out. Bloody hard to catch too. Who said they are full of electrons?

anyway quickly got it out of the model and onto the concrete outside the shed where is spewed its guts up. Scratch one 6S, 5amp pack

I have 3 more on order with the new Corsair. Hoping it might arrive today
Old 06-01-2015, 07:37 PM
rt3232

Hay Pete hope did not you take my comment to seriously, Glad you found the paint masks, but to bad you did not find the set up instructions that came with them,
Any way the weather gods and I are at odds got a day off and Rain and T/storms are predicted

Cheers Bob T

Last edited by rt3232; 06-02-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:38 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Default What I did build in between the AC/DC thing Sorry it is not a Warbird

Peter this is the project I have about completed it has a DLE 35RE

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	2100019  
Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 PM
LASHMETT75

with lipos...10s set up

Originally Posted by Peter_OZ
nice one. I dream about mine only being 24lbs. Is that with lipos fitted or just the model?

I expect mine to be around 32, maybe 34 lbs.

Re-balanced the Vampire last night, no idea how I managed to get that so wrong previously, added about 4 ounces to the nose. Now while fitting the canopy hatch I managed to shove its locating pin into the lipo, yup smoke started pouring out. Bloody hard to catch too. Who said they are full of electrons?

anyway quickly got it out of the model and onto the concrete outside the shed where is spewed its guts up. Scratch one 6S, 5amp pack

I have 3 more on order with the new Corsair. Hoping it might arrive today
Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Bob,
mate how could anyone be upset with you, except your wife that is hehe

Richard, looks like a nice model, well done.

Some good news, new FMS Corsair arrived today, I'll pick it up from my mates place after work and commence the assembly. Should have it mostly done tonight with some luck, very basic.
3 x new LiPo 6S 5 amp packs to be terminated with connectors, do a form charge on them and I'll be good to go.

cheers
me
Old 06-03-2015, 12:53 AM
BOLTMAN

Good news re the foamy Corsair. So it should be all go for Bundy? I will have my foam Thunderbolt & Lightning there. We are planning on getting to the field early arvo Friday.

Mick
Old 06-03-2015, 03:00 AM
ticketec

Well, my transportation crisis if finally over, and all this chatter makes me keen as ever to get up to bundy, but I still have a fist full of work to get done on the Hawk so wont make it..

Enjoy the flying guys!

Thanks

Dave

P.S The benchtop has been cleared ready for the '47 pete!

Name:	IMG_3029.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	2100231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3030.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	2100232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3024edit.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2100233  

Last edited by ticketec; 06-03-2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Thanks Peter. The electric war birds are getting very impressive say the least

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.