Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was chatting with Callie via email and her printer can not do white printing.

Jim of Cal-grfx can do white so he gets the job! Sent him the dimensions of the us insignia for the paint mask. 8 3/4"

He will send me a quote for both the decal and the paint mask, will get 2 decals in case I stuff one up.

Z yes mate I have watched quite a few 47s in my scale fly and they all flew lovely and easy to land.
I like that 190 Anton of yours, is that the TF ARF version?

Agree about the G-62, may not be as fancy or have the high end performance of some of the newer donks out there but it is a solid reliable engine. I had one on my Vailly Seafury and converted it to electronic ignition and a 90 degree carb bend with the standoffs which gave it a bit more. Biggest improvement though was putting a 21 x 12 prop on it which put the RPM up into the 7500 range and it really was coming on song.

It is now back in a box till I build a suitable model for it. Seafury has a Zenopah GT-80 twin in it now. Needs a new wing built too.

cheers
me
Old 07-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Nordicz
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oz,

My buddy "CRjDriver" has the Electronic ignition G62 in his and he is getting better performance out of it. He has telemetry and can obtain about 134 mph in a flyby. I"m slower than that in formation with him. I'm also still running a little rich but it has been so reliable and dependable I don't really feel like fiddling with it just to get more speed. A couple of the guys in the club have been nagging me to throw on a 20 x 8 x 14 on it and I have a couple around. If I prang this one up I might put it on and see how it acts.

I never thought about a 21 x12 it might be a nice option. I'm currently throwing around a 22 x 10 on it. Same as the Fw-190.

Yes it is the Top Flight "Anton" ARF that I have in the pic. Very nice flyer. It is quicker and more nimble than my P-47 for some reason. Take off and landing I have some more work to do in my skills. It's can be a handfull for me to keep up on it. I have been know to get behind on the sticks here and there. It is an experience thing I think. Good plane, looks nice in the air, flys very well, the only drawback in my opinion it is an ARF it is not as robust as a stick build would be and it is harder to apply a more personalized scheme. But it does not lack in performance in my opinion. That one is powered by a DLE55. Not the Rear Aspirated version. Also on a high note it is easy to transport, assemble and handle. It went together well and has alot of room to customize setup. I didn't get crazy on bashing it. It was a gift and I wanted to get it up in the air. But I'm thinking about striping the Monocote and glassing and painting it. Who Knows.

Z
Old 07-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

mate,
try the 21x12, you will be pleased with how the engine performs. G62s really like that size. Mate of mine has a 1/4 scale P51D with G62 on electronic igntion and the 21x12.

I hear you about falling a bit behind what the plane is doing. I did that on Sunday with the FMS Corsair. Coming into land, lovely approach, full flaps and I could see it was getting a bit slow and had a little wing wobble as it approached stall but instead of applyling a little power and hoplding the power on I was like the proverbial deer in the headlights and simply watched as it stalled from about 2 feet, plop!

Damaged the retracts but patched them enough for 2 more flights even if one wheel was 30 degress off axis. Still took off fine!

All fixed now, the retracts in it are not very robust and I now have a collection of bits to keep them going!

Was supposed to go up to the Sunshine Coast for Cooum Warbirds event and was getting the models ready. P51 needed a new prop as the Mejink had a ground strike when I nosed over in the longish grass the week before. Tightended it on and noticed the engine would not turn over and I could feel grinding in the front section.

Assumed the front bearing had collpassed and as I hacve a new in pack spare thought I'd strip it down and replace it. When I got it stripped down it turns out it was the brass thrust washer which sits right behind the front bearing that had fallen to bits.

Can't buy one anywhere but I can get a complete crank with one fitted off fleabay for about $50 USD so might have to try that.

engine is a Supertigre ST-2500. Quite an old engine now.

cheers

me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3382.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	2107675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3383.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2107676  
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

if anyone has one??

part number 22222006 shaft spacer washer
Old 07-06-2015, 05:20 AM
CRJDriver
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete, might I suggest dropping an EME 55 in that stang of yours? Super reliable power at an extremely fair price. You might be further ahead. I bought one for my 1/5 scale Spitty and have been completely impressed by the power, quality and reliability.http://milehighrc.com/EME55CC.html

Name:	IMG_3782.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2107796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3784.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2107797  
Old 07-06-2015, 06:32 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Pete

T/T 2 of our club members that are still running big s/T engines and both say when they go they will go to a gas engine's, as they tell me spare parts are few and far between if at all, one of them said if you can figure out the dim's you might get a local machinist to make one.

Just my 2 pennies worth

cheers Bob T
Old 07-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

CRJ,

55 is a tad big for my 51. It is only 82" span, smaller than the TF version. Was contemplating something like a MVVS 35 which is a similar size and loads of power.

If I can get the part I'll leave the ST2500 in it, if not then I will have to look at a new engine which I really can not afford.

I have a 90" span Spitfire that I have never flown but a friend of mine used to fly years ago, it has a G38 in it and had plenty of power. I do think we tend to overpower our models.

anyway I'll keep looking for this blasted brass washer.

Bob, might be able to work out thickness however it is tapered top and bottom on the inner circle so replicating that would be difficult. Assume it is to allow oil to get to the faces.

As Bob would say "bah humbug"

about to order my kill markings and paint masks with cal grafx, $53 USD with shipping to Oz, seems reasonable I guess.

cheers
Peter
Old 07-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

new crankshaft and thrust washer purchased through fleabay, $45 USD + $10.95 USD post.

Expensive little washer but cheaper and a lot easier than a whole new engine and install.

Name:	aaaa crank st2500.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2107993  
Old 07-08-2015, 06:07 AM
rt3232

Good on you for finding what you needed, might pay to make a dwg with dim's for future use. But what do I know.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

mate I'm sending the washer off to a mate of mine so his machinest can make me a couple of spares.

cheers
Old 07-08-2015, 06:01 PM
rt3232

Well we are on the same page I think

Bob T
Old 07-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

close enough mate.

Friday morning, coffee, inbox cleared now to go back to my variations and budgets. Meetings to set up.

Back to the P47 tomorrow morning.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Not much to report, was very windy and cold here so did no painting. I did get the top and bottom part of the wing rubbed smooth where the decals came off. Need a light coat of primer then the colour coats.

Still waiting to see the proofs and get my paint masks and kill markings.

Went to the field Sunday even though it was blowing a gale, models stayed in the vehicle. We all congregated in the kitchen area drinking coffee and talking sh it as we men do .

Today is even colder and windier. Many areas down south have snow! Won't get any in Brisbane.

Hey Al Gore how is that global warming working for you!! What a tosser.

Got banned on FB for winding up the poor lefties and the camel jockys hehehe
Old 07-12-2015, 03:23 PM
rt3232

That's why I don't do F/B nothing there but lefties and the goat herders

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

gor that right mate
Old 07-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

just when I think things are starting to go smoothly with the paint masks pffftttt how hard can it be?

Still trying to get the kill markings but the paint masks for bars and stars is all too hard, even when you give them the measurements.

not happy Jan!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

the saga of the Supertigre ST-2500 continueth . . .

Decided to just rebuild the engine using the new parts and not get a anotehr washer made based on the new one, original washer has lasted some 30 years so if last another 20 even that will do it!

So fitted the new crank, washer and front bearing, liberal coating of oil, fitted into the front housing, bolted it up tight and then the prop driver, prop and locked it up tight and guess what? It was seized solid again! !@#$!@#$%

So pulled it apart, and appeared that the thrust washer wasn’t getting up forward enough hmmmm. Ok rear bearing not seated enough? Tap tap and yes it went in some more. Bewdy I thought.

Try again and still locked tight. Rear bearing can only go one way with a slightly proud face I wonder? Pulled it to bits, heated the case in boiling water to pop the bearing out and turned it around. All back together and same thing !@~#$$^&$%&$@#$@E!@#%!@#%

Its 7.30pm and freezing by this time - snow in some parts of Queensland ***!!!. Had a couple of calls to my mate Ron who has operated big Supertigres for a long time. Could not shed any light neither could a raaf buddy who is an engine fitter. His advice Buy a petrol one!! Shut up brad! Actually used a different word hehe

So by this stage I’m rather annoyed but wanting to fix it so had a closer look at the old bearings in the drawer and the new ones. You can normally feel differences in thickness under finger. Nothing. So had a look at the old crank. Now when the engine is siezed up the flywheel locks tight on the face of the front housing. It should not be able to. Exploded views show no shims etc.
Hmmmm

Ok now I look closesly at both the new and old cranks and on the face of the counterweight that faces the bearing is a slight raised face, maybe a thou or 2. Felt the one on the old crank and it is quite pronounced but on the new one can hardly feel it. Ahhhh haaa

Put it all back together with the old crank and guess what? Spins freely. New crank face is out of tolerance. The shaft too was slightly thinner as you could feel it on the prop when putting it on.

So engine all back together and will refit to the mustang and run it tomorrow.

Phew!!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:49 PM
rt3232

And know you know why I never replaced my real OLD S/T 46 from the late 50's, but I do have to admit it ran great till it bloo a rod bearing.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

yes they do run well, were very strong engines in their day and robust metalurgy. the chinese versions are no where as good.

sacked the idiot I was going to get the stars and bars spreay mask and kill markings from. what a tool!! Avoid CAL-GRAFX !!!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:42 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Can still hook you up with the masks.....
Old 07-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Sorry mate did not want to bother you with it that as I know you are busy with work and getting your home projects done.

Callie is going to do the masks for $30 USD, just waiting on the proofs to come through. Kill markings though, think I will have to cut them all out individually and apply.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:56 PM
rt3232

Could be worse, might keep your hands busy, and from doing things they shouldn't . He He

Well we/our club is having a big day tomorrow with the public invited to the field, and will have to miss most as wife slipped fell and broke 2 bones in right her foot, so have to play nurse, such is life when you get OLD, not a complaint just the way it is.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day Bob,
sorry to hear about your wife, foor injuries can be very painful. you take good care of her and I'm sure she will be back to going mad at you in no time at all hehe

Good news is that the engine repiar on the ST-2500 went well and all is back in the P51, ran the engine and it is pulling strongly, even with a bigger prop. I only had a 18x10 Bolly instead of the 17x10 Mejink it had on it.

Did not take a RPM but it is pulling like a horse!

Warbirds at Logan Club this Sunday so will it down there for an outing.

must say that Callie from Callie Graphics is a most pleasant lady to deal with, so much nicer then Jim from CAL-GRAFX!!
cheers
Peter
Old 07-21-2015, 03:51 AM
rt3232

Hat Pete can you give me Callies addy I have the decals for my redo in the corsair but they look so out of place O the blue so I thinkI will try to get a set of steas and bars and just paint the white.

cheers Bob T
Old 07-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Bob,
sent you an email with her email address. She is good to do business with, listens and does the job correctly.

She sent through my proof and dimesions for the spray masks and they are spot on, unlike that arrogant wanker Jim from CAL-GRAFX, do not ever use him!! Oh but he is good, just ask him he will blab on about how good he is yet can't even get the stars and bars correct.

cheers
me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.