Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

T.F. Giant P-51 ARF wing on Kit Fues...CAN BE DONE!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

T.F. Giant P-51 ARF wing on Kit Fues...CAN BE DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 03:30 PM
lovetoflyguy
My Feedback: (139)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T.F. Giant P-51 ARF wing on Kit Fues...CAN BE DONE!

After being told by Top Flite, Tower Hobbies, and all my buddies that you could not use the T.F. ARF Wing on the Kit Fues, I decided to give it a try! I built the Giant Top Flite P-51B two years ago. It has a Zenoah G62. Plane flies great. However, on landing I let it get away from me and in a crosswind landing, it swang to the right and took out a post. The fues was in perfect condition, but the wing was toast!

I bought the ARF wing from Tower Hobbies for about $160.00 or so. The monokote came off with no problem. In fact I was pretty supprised. I don't even know if they heated it to the wing. In 10 minutes, I had two bare wings. After a little modification, glass, primer, and a few band-aids, here it sets on my fues. I still need to glass the control surfaces, start the detail work, put gear doors on, and finish with paint. I can't wait to finish it and get it back in the air.

Happy Flyin!
PJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54056.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	185833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76138.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	185834  
Old 10-23-2004, 08:09 PM
prop wash

Default RE: T.F. Giant P-51 ARF wing on Kit Fues...CAN BE DONE!

Looks great PJ.How much moding did you have to do??Any pcs?I have the Arf and love to fly her.Tom
Old 10-23-2004, 08:34 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good PJ. I don;t know why anyone would say that it would not work...probably a marketing disguise....
Old 10-23-2004, 10:35 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PJ.
How cool! I read your post and found I wasn't alone after all. In fact, I'll bet this is more common than we may expect. I'm in exactly the same boat....b-model, g62, Robarts...only I'm thinking Coverite fabric instead of glass. I've already installed Aerotech gear doors. How did you actually mount the wing? I'm thinking dowels in front and 1/4" bolts at the rear attached to a ply mount added to the back of the fuse. I'd love to see a pic or two that shows how you did yours.

Doug
Old 10-24-2004, 05:32 PM
rcking
My Feedback: (8)

i wonder if you could have ordered the ARC version any cheaper?
Old 10-29-2004, 08:51 PM
lovetoflyguy

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the kind words! Sorry I haven't responded. I was flying a trip (gotta pay for this stuff some how). I will get pictures online tomorrow with some "close ups" of what I had to do. Like I said, pretty much switch the bolt location, re-enforce the area, swear a little, and your done!
Old 10-29-2004, 10:04 PM
p-40_lova

Wow, that is a great looking plane. Please post pics of the finished wings.

Doug
Old 10-31-2004, 07:29 AM
lovetoflyguy

As promised here are some close up pictures and step by step, here is what I did:
1) Glue wing together and test fit it on fues.
2) Once happy with fit, make a mark on the fues and the wing, so when the wing is on right, they line up.
3) Cut two large squares and place some high strength balsa block in the wing, where the bolts will go through.
4) Take the wing off, and screw your bolts in. Use some paint on the tips of the bolts.
5) Re-fit the wing on being careful to make it come down right on your marks you made in step 2.
6) The paint will then be on your wing. That is where you drill the holes for the bolts to go through
7) Once the holes are drilled and the bolts "fit", around where the bolt heads fit onto the wing....put some hard balsa in that area.
8) Make "flange" in the front so there is a smooth transition from the fues - to the wing and drill out holes for the bolts.
9) For the back where the dowels fit (only on the kit version), re-fit the wing and place some hardwood where the backplate will be. Simply trace the shape of the fues with the plate in place. Cut plate, re fit and tach glue it in place.
10) Take the wing off and place two 2"X2" block on the other side of the plate. You will have to shave one side to fit the contor of the wing. Once happy (NO GAPS!!!) Use micro-ballons and epoxy, and glue those into place.
11) Put your dowl rods in the holes in the fues and put some paint on them. Let the stick out a little.
12) Re test fit the wing back on and be careful to not let the trailing edge section it those dowl rods until your sure of a good fit. Once they hit, you will have paint on the back plate to show you the points you need to drill.
13) Drill out the backplate and on through the balsa block. Glue your dowl rods in plane.
14) Fit the wing on, and screw it into place.
15) Turn the plane over. If your lucky, it will fit exactly in place.

I had to make some flanges on the front to seal a small gap. Just cut balsa and put it into place, use some putty to smooth out and your done. I hope this helps those who asked. If any of this is confusing, please email me and I can call you. Just happy to help if I can....

PJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19847.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	188375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20237.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	188376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72877.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	188377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76479.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	188378  
Old 10-31-2004, 07:01 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

hmm...now this is interesting.

i have the arf that i am almost done with, and i started the kit about a year ago. the wing is done on the kit, but the fuse is 70% done with 90% to go. i don't know if i have the time or patience to finish that. but, i could buy a arf fuse (or arc fuse) and put in on my wing!!! i already built the with with inner gear doors in mind, so i guess i'd have to do the same type of mods to the built up wing or to the fuse.. boy, i like this idea lot..

you guys see any problems with this??

cheers

joe
Old 10-31-2004, 09:00 PM
lovetoflyguy

You shouldn't have a problem...Just the opposite of what I did.

PJ
Old 11-04-2004, 10:36 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

thanks!!! it seemed like it would work, and thanks for your pics on how to do it!!!

cheers

joe
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM
jlarose

Good day, I sent you a PM, this is my first contacting anyone on rc universe, have questions about mod.