Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Bomber Field

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 11:53 PM
YNOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bomber

To clear up a few issues.

Bomber is a scale big bird. IMAA Big Bird rules apply. The plane must be scale, not a Ultra Stick or a Stinger with Invasion stripes. But an Extra 330 is a scale plane and it is allowed. Just like all the Cessna's and Beechcrafts that will show up.

The meet is called, "The Gathering of the B-17's". This is the show that the Perpetual B-17 trophy is awarded. Bomber also has a Warbird show in May, I think, that is open to Warbirds only, however any size can fly.

As far as my comment of flyn after the sun goes down........I don't mean at 5 when the "official" flyn is over, I mean AT NIGHT. Go eat, come back and see if I waste my plane doing some night time 3D. :-)

I expect to see you all in September.

BTW: The weekend after Bomber, there is a Big Bird at the Brazoria County field. Its About 30 Minutes south of Houston. Great field, Great People, Great FOOD!! and no noise restrictions, in case yall wanna come rrrrrrrrrrrrrip them props.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:06 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Night flying

YNOT, That would be a neat thing to watch. What kind of lights do you have on your aircraft? I'll be staying at the field in my motorhome, so if you need help, I'd be happy to assist.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments, but I get fairly steamed up when guys with 100oz. fuel tanks fly for 35 minutes and do so with great skill, but they none the less place their aircraft, the aircraft of others and any pilots and observers in a dangerous position if they hover while other aircraft are in the traffic pattern.

Let's all go to Bomber Field and have a great time together. Both IMAC and Warbird pilots love this great hobby. We have a lot in common, let's stay concentrated on that and mayby, just maybe, we can learn something from each other. I'd be glad to teach any of you IMAC pilots how to land a heavy warbird without tearing out the retracts. if you would teach me how to set up my Lazer (yes, I have a Lazer) so that I too can hover.

Whoa, now that's holding out an olive branch!
Old 08-23-2002, 10:02 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bomber Field

Where are most of you guys staying while at Bomber field? I live about 2.5hrs from Monaville, but I will be staying at the Executive Inn located in Brookshire. It's a fairly nice place, and the rates are quite reasonable at $46 a night. I plan on going up that Thursday after work and try and secure a couple of spots for some other club members.

Vince
Old 08-23-2002, 10:07 AM
Flying Scotsman

Default To Fighter Pilot

Originally posted by Vince
Where are most of you guys staying while at Bomber field? I live about 2.5hrs from Monaville...
Vince
Good Question Vince,

Fighterpilot, I guess you will be there with some of the NOMAC guys? NOMAC is my old club and I want to meet up with Pascal and Co so where are you guys staying over the weekend?

Happy Flying
Old 08-23-2002, 12:21 PM
L454S
My Feedback: (3)

Default Bomber Field

Fighterpilot will be in his motor home at the field. Me and about 3 others will be at the Executive Inn in Brookshire, a couple others will be at a hotel at the Sealy ,Tx. exit. Pascal & Kenny Bonura will be at the Executive as far as I know.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:49 PM
Fighterpilot

Default NOMAC @ Bomber Field

As L454S said, I'll be in my motorhome at the field; but, most of the guys will be staying at the motel right at the Brookshire exit off of I-10. I believe they call that the Executive Inn now.

Please come look us up when you get to Bomber Field, it's always nice to put a face with the names we see here so often. So if you are there, the guys at NOMAC would like you to come on over and chew the fat with us between flights. Your visit would be blessed relief from L454S always climbing my butt about something. Oh, one thing about your visit to our tent....show no weakness because I promise you these guys will never let you forget it. I'll be hearing about a recent mishap for at least the next 5 years.

No comment necessary from you here, Evan.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:03 PM
fw190d9

Default comments

WHO, ME??? I wasnt gonna say nuttin boss.
LOL
Evan Q.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:08 PM
Blackie

Default Bomber Field

I plan on coming I just hope I will have my newly purchased Ryan STA-M ready to go. I'll be there with or without her.

Oh! I forgot to ask are ARF's allowed?

For those close to Austin TX, or wanting to visit Austin, the HCAM will be holding a big bird event in memory of departed and dearly missed Bob Courtney. The Bob Courtney Memorial Big Bird is set for October the 26th and the 27th at the Mary Moore Seawright park located in South Austin.

Everyone's welcomed, landing fees are $15.00

Here's direction's and pics of the field for those interested.

HCAM

If more info is needed please contact me by way of email listed or PM me either way

Thanks
Randy
Old 08-23-2002, 07:25 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bomber Field

Randy, Make sure you take some flyers for for your event to Bomber Field, and pass them out. Usually leave there w/ about 10 fly-in flyers.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:56 PM
Fighterpilot

Default ARF allowed

Yes, ARF's are allowed if they are a model of a real full sized aircraft and it is 1/4 scale or 80"span.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Blackie

Default Bomber Field

The Ryan STA M was better know as the PT-16 then became PT 20 up to the PT 22.

It comes fitted with an 82" wing and a very nice looking bird if I should say so myself.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:54 AM
stick
My Feedback: (14)

Default IT IS NOT JUST WARBIRDS

Here is the event listing from the Bomber Field site.

9/20/02 - 9/22/02 –Monaville, TX (C) 12th Annual B-17/Big Bird (Scale) Fly-In. Site: Bomber Field. Bob Buckbee CD, 2504 Savannah Ct., College Station, TX 77845 phone 979-764-9067. Restricted to scale or stand off scale warbirds, civilian, private, fixed wing aircraft. Ducted fan or turbines welcome. Aerobatic aircraft will be required to fly standard pattern unless otherwise requested. 140" rule applies. No preregistration, $20 landing fee. B-17 judging rules on request. Sponsor: BOMBER FIELD

Dosen't say anything about warbird only. is says "Restricted to scale or stand off scale warbirds, civilian, private, fixed wing aircraft. Ducted fan or turbines welcome."

As far as the 3D flying. Mike Sauls has done a 3D demo routine the last 2 years. just like Texas jets do there Turban demo also.

I can't rember anytime that I have seen someone hovring over the runway shile the warbirds were in the air. Not saying it hasn't happed just not when I'm there on Saturday's.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:23 AM
Vince

Default Bomber Field

They did shut the flying down while the 3D demo was going on, that's what people were steamed about last year. Correct, no warbirds, or any other was flying going on while Mike was doing his 3D routine. He is an awesome flier.

Vince
Old 08-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Grun-Herz-JG54

Default Bomber Field

WTB Gaint scale warbird capable of 3d maneuvers
Old 08-27-2002, 07:22 PM
Blackie

Default Bomber Field

For all those going to the event, I hope to run into you and put a face behind the keyboard. I will be waring a lite gray T or collar shirt with my nick name "Blackie"on it along with our club logo on it, named HCAM (Hill Country Air Modelers).

Randy
Old 08-29-2002, 11:42 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Default Bomber Field

I plan on making it. I hope to bring a (racing) agwagon, and my partly built mustang if its ready for the 2 hour drive. hope to see you there if i make it , be wearing a red hat from my club-orange county r/c club. Come fly with us in Orange. My agwagon has a some odd 76 inch wing span--but wont fly--and the stange has a 64 inch wing span and wont fly too. can the be brought just to be shown, not flown --i dont like to fly in crowded skies-ive just about had 2 midairs--but have had 1 with a lazy bee---how can i hit such a small plane?
Old 09-06-2002, 02:46 PM
TLH101

Default Bomber Field

It's getting closer.....................work, work, work. Get those planes ready.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:08 AM
YNOT

Default Bomber

For the past 10 years, I have attended Bomber. I was just informed today, that I must be out of town, for work, that week and I will not be able to come home until Sunday morning.

I was looking forward to meeting many of you RCUer there. I will make it there Sunday late morning, driving directly from the airport.

However, I invite all of you, the following weekend to the Brazoria County Modelers Association's Fall Big Bird. Located just south of Houston about 30 minutes, a couple of miles from the beach. Concrete strip, not a tree in sight and no noise restrictions.

Bonfire Friday night and we will be cooking BBQ all night long, come be a taster.

The bonfire is a airplane bonfire. Throw one in and tell a story of its demise.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:42 PM
microjet

Default Turbine Powered Aircraft

Are there going to be any turbine powered Military aircraft at the event. I have a A/D F-16 that I was planning on bringing, but I don't want to be the odd one out. And plus I don't want the warbird guy's to feel unconfortable. Any comments are welcome. Thanks
Old 09-13-2002, 08:48 PM
stick
My Feedback: (14)

Default Turbines

They have had turbines there in the past. They usally give them demo time.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:39 PM
Blackie

Default Bomber Field

Microjet,

I was there last year and there were plenty, they had special events for them to fly. Bring it I love watching them fly.

Randy
Old 09-16-2002, 11:22 AM
Blackie

Default Bomber Field

Can someone please tell me whats the best time to get there so as to grab a spot and pitch a tent also staying close to my truck and trailer?

Thanks
Randy
Old 09-16-2002, 03:13 PM
TLH101

Default Bomber Field

Randy,
Wednesday
Old 09-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Vince

Default Bomber Field

Probably Wednesday would be a good time to secure a spot, but certainly no later than Thursday is my experience.

Vince
Old 09-18-2002, 12:33 AM
Fighterpilot

Default Loaded up and ready to go!

We are loaded up and ready to leave about 11:00 AM Wednesday. Should roll into lovely downtown Monaville, TX. no later than 7:00 PM. Looking forward to seeing all of you that plan on attending.

That's an AT-6 on top, Bearcat in middle and a Seafury on the bottom. Down the center of the trailer is my faithful old Beechcraft Musketeer, and if you look way up in the front of the trailer, you'll see my American Eagle Spitfire. I just couldn't fit one more airplane in there. We had to leave the Mosquito behind this year, the retracts are leaking badly and are in need of new cylinders.

Later,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26484_762.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	13413  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.