Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair Canopy

Old 11-05-2004, 01:43 PM
552transco
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsair Canopy

Hi RCU,

I cracked the canopy on my TF Corsair and would like to replace it. It is the old kit (red box) and I was wondering if anyone knows if the newer "gold kit" canopy would fit?

Thanks for your help,

Wayne
Old 11-06-2004, 12:31 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Corsair Canopy

The 2 kits ('red box' & Gold Edition) use the same canopy, and cowl too. You can order replacement from Tower or Top Flite.
Wanna sell the decals?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:47 PM
552transco

Thanks CorsairJock, you are right on top of it. I checked Tower and they have one for 7.99 and in stock.
How did you know I still had the decal sheet? I built and covered this plane in the mid 80s. It has been hanging in my garage for years. I finally took it down and painted it. I am getting ready to glue the hinges on. The Rohm Retracts I have in it still work but the air line is so old it breaks when you touch it. When I was cleaning it up I broke the canopy. I sure am glad they still have a replacement for it.
I really want the star and bars decal but this plane, as you probably already know, is one of the earlier Corsair versions. I don't believe the star and bars were available yet. I'm still thinking about the decals. Since I am not entering and scale contests, I can put whatever decals I want on it.
If I don't use the decals that came with it, I'll send you an e-mail if you are still interested. They are the Pappy Bouington's ship decals.
There isn't very many of them to put on.
Thanks again CorsairJock,
Wayne

Here they are:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26223.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	190525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34979.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	190526  
Old 11-07-2004, 01:22 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you covered it in solid blue, then the decals you have are not appropriate for it (it is a very non-scale finish scheme). The decals would be right a 'tri-color' scheme, which is best applied with paint (rather than iron on covering.
I always urge Corsair builders to do some research before they apply a finish to their project, as there are a great many of us Corsair buffs who know what Corsairs should look like, and can spot the ones that are not scale accurate.
For starters, you might read some (or all) of the posts here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...corsair/tm.htm
And then there is of course, Lukes threads which include his Royal Corsair project, and it culminates with pictures of his completed Corsair which is the best example that I have ever seen of a 1/8 scale Corsair (which is the same scale as your Top Flite Corsair).
Your 'red box' decals are no longer made (very unfortunate) and are somewhat sought after. I have seen them go for $40 a set on eBay.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:10 PM
552transco

Hi CorsairJock,
I know what you mean. I guess that's why deep down inside I know I have to keep it authentic. I am still looking for the final color. I covered it with Super Coverite with intentions of painting it. I just couldn't see covering it with plastic.
That's interesting about the decal sheet selling for $40 on e-bay. That amount of money won't make or break me so I think I'll keep them.
Thanks CorsairJock for all your suggestions. I will check them out.

Wayne
Old 11-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it was the one for the GS corsair I could help you out as I have 3 of them - don't ask how I got em hehe

here is a thought. Patch the outside of the cracked canopy and ensure the inside is smooth then pour in some plaster of paris to make a plug. That way you could vac form your own.

cheers
Peter
Old 11-07-2004, 10:26 PM
552transco

Hi Peter, they are from the .60 kit.
Thanks for the tip on the mold. I am looking at more and more ways of making things myself. I am seeing too many ARF out there. People don't seem to want to even build a kit anymore.

Wayne