Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Please Help with My Giant Scale Spinner Problem!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Please Help with My Giant Scale Spinner Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 10:01 PM
lovetoflyguy
My Feedback: (139)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help with My Giant Scale Spinner Problem!!!

Hey ya'll, I have a problem. I bought a Vortec spinner for my Giant Scale P-51 (top flite). This spinner has the bolt that runs throught the nose and should thread into the bolt that is holding the prop on. The bolt needs to be 8/32, but the bolt is not long enough! I need at least a 3 1/2 inch bolt. I went to Home Depot, Hobby shops, and a local bolt and nut company. Nothing! Can anyone help me locate such a thing? My plane is ready to fly after I find this stupid bolt. As usual, a 25 cent part keeps a 1,500.00 plane on the ground!

Thanks a bunch and happy flyen'

PJ
Old 09-02-2002, 10:34 PM
wolf152
My Feedback: (13)

Try MSC.

wolf152
Old 09-02-2002, 11:48 PM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

Found mine at ace hardware
Old 09-03-2002, 01:23 AM
lovetoflyguy

What is MSC?

I went to ACE and they didn't have anything longer than a 3 inch.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:30 AM
14th_Reaper
My Feedback: (-1)

I had the same problem you did until I went to a local store with all the parts in my hand. The spinner, motor, backplate, prop and prop nuts. The guys seem to be able to find parts when you are there with cash in hand as opposed to a phone call. I would try back at a "nuts and bolts" store not a hardware store. Heck if nothing else, get me the exact specs you need, I'll get them for you from a company here in Tulsa (Rule Company) and send them to you. Won't be more than a buck for the screw and regular postage to you. I know I will be the last resort, but I can't stand to see a 25 cent peice keep a good plane down!
Old 09-03-2002, 08:07 AM
wolf152
My Feedback: (13)

www.mscdirect.com

There's a store in Orlando. I'll check at work today and see if I have any.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:20 PM
rcs36
My Feedback: (4)

lovetoflyguy,
I too have a TF P-51 Giant Scale. It has the US 41 gasser, for now, installed. I bought the plane already built and ready to fly. I was wondering if you could tell me some info about yours, as I have not yet flown mine. What CG did you set yours at and from what points did you take the measurements? What are the control throws, high/low? What size engine is in yours? At what throttle setting do you touch the plane down at? Please keep me posted as to how yours flys. You can send PM to [email protected] if you like.

May She Always Land Graceful,
Richard
Old 09-03-2002, 02:57 PM
lovetoflyguy

Default Thanks so much

Hey,

I really appreciate all of your help. I am looking forward to seeing if the store in orlando will help me. If not, I'll be ordering from Tulsa!!! Thank you so much guys!

I would be happy to answere any questions about the P-51. I have flown my D a bunch. Not the B yet. I can call you or you can call me. I'll email you later on that.

I have all of the specs you need and when I get home, I'll scan it and put online here, or email it to you. As for flying, it is like any other warbird about power (KEEP IT UP!). On landing it will let you know it is done flying by hitting the ground real fast. It is not like a corsair, P-47, with that big round cowel in front. It is more streamline, so you wont bleed off the airspeed that fast. On landing, when I am on final approach, I put in about 4 clicks of throttle all the way to about a few inches upon touchdown. Once I know I am going to land, I chop the throttle and whatever elevator I had, I don't change. As the power bleeds off, the plane will touch down very nicely due to ground effect. I see a lot of guys use full flaps on landing. This is good only in (NO WIND) situations. If you have a cross wind, use about half flaps. You plane will land a little on the fast side, but it will penetrate the air better and the bumps will be a lot less. I fly the real thing and it is the same way. I will be happy to help out any way I can. You will be able to get away with the "pitch vs power" issue a lot more with the mustang due to its stream line body. I fly the big round cowl planes as well and have noticed a little more power needed on landing.

I guess thats it for now!

PJ