Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Old 05-16-2003, 11:45 PM
bob_in_lv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Luke,
I don't get pictures on the wing detail, page 4. I get all the rest ok.

Bob
Old 05-17-2003, 02:13 AM
thirteenspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see lots of people saying that they used a full pilot for the tf corsair 60. I have been looking for one for months and cant find one. Where can i get one? Also I will be fiberglassing mine, can the plane be all built before fiberglassing or should i do each piece seperatly then assemble
Old 05-17-2003, 04:12 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by thirteenspeed
I see lots of people saying that they used a full pilot for the tf corsair 60. I have been looking for one for months and cant find one. Where can i get one? Also I will be fiberglassing mine, can the plane be all built before fiberglassing or should i do each piece seperatly then assemble
Best pilot figures for the Corsair:

Officers and gentlemen

You can't have the control surfaces attached when you fiberglass a plane, even when you cover it with Monokote it must not have the control surfaces attached!

Used to live in Bellingham WA, is it still raining, it was when I left!?

Luke
Old 05-17-2003, 04:16 AM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by bob_in_lv
Luke,
I don't get pictures on the wing detail, page 4. I get all the rest ok.

Bob
Sorry about that, nothing I can do though. My site works for most people. Some can't see any pictures!

Luke
Old 05-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Devo

I want to point out that the wing loading for any given model is going to differ from that advertised on the box. Assuming you built the wing per the plan, your wing area will be the same, but wing loading can vary greatly between two different copies of the same kit, depending on overall weight of each airplane.

dionysusbacchus, your gear doors look very nice! I wish I had your attention span. Yes it rained today, and it hailed, had a little thunder and lightning too. Then the sun came out, and then it rained some more...

The pilot I used in my Corsair encountered a few gruesome moments with a razor saw before he fit in the cockpit properly. Sadly, the surgeon got a little carried away and his feet don't quite reach the rudder pedals. He started out as a 9" Backstreet boy puppet, after a little basic training, and the bought with the razor saw, he was much better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79217_19237.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	15705  
Old 05-17-2003, 12:01 PM
bob_in_lv

I ordered a full pilot form Vailly Aviation 631-732-4715 http://vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html

Based on my measurments I ordered the 1/9 scale.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:20 PM
bob_in_lv

Anyone,

How many degrees should the flaps rotate?

Bob
Old 05-19-2003, 12:36 AM
WS

Originally posted by bob_in_lv
Anyone,

How many degrees should the flaps rotate?

Bob
50 degrees on the real plane
Old 05-19-2003, 12:53 AM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by Wells
50 degrees on the real plane
My models are real planes! Did you mean full scale?
Old 05-19-2003, 01:51 AM
WS

hehehe, yeah, that's what I meant!

Ailerons: 19 up, 14 down
Rudder: 25 deg right and left
Elevator: unknown
Old 06-28-2003, 12:31 PM
bob_in_lv

I'd be interested in opinions regarding shock mounting the engine. I'm using a Saito 150.

Bob
Old 06-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dubro mount should work fine. Pete
Old 06-29-2003, 04:53 AM
Devo

I used a Saito 120 in my TF Corsair. I tried to use a Dubro soft mount but found the mounting lugs pushed the engine too far forward to give the proper clearance between the prop and the forward edge of the cowl. Even after milling off half the thickness of the lugs it still pushed the engine too far forward. I ended up using the mount supplied with the kit and found that it doesn't vibrate excessively.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:25 PM
bob_in_lv

Thanks Devo.

I guess I'll try it without shock mounts. How does your's fly with the Saito 120?

Bob
Old 06-30-2003, 04:36 AM
Devo

bob_in_lv,

I'd love to tell you, but unfortunately I haven't flown it yet. I have ran it and taxied in my driveway and vibration is a non-issue. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to fly it soon.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:03 PM
bob_in_lv

Does anyone know what font the lettering and numbering is?
Old 10-01-2003, 09:23 AM
ganu

Default RE: Building Top Flite Corsair 60

This is my first full kit also. Through horse trading I've acquired robart mech retracts, but after reading many threads I will go fixed gear at first. What is a good retract for this TF .60? Using 2 aileron servos, flaps, and going to incorporate some easy mos I've read about here. Has taken me much longer than expected. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Gary
Old 10-01-2003, 09:36 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary,
CorsairJock has a great thread on mod to the TF kit. Also check out the thread on the Royal Corsair project for some other ideas. I built my wing with CJ retracts but have put the project on hold while waiting for the new Sierra gear that will require some rebuilding. If you can go with the Sierra gear. See the thread on them. Best of luck, Pete
Old 10-07-2003, 07:35 AM
RC flyer 2

I am looking to install the baffel with the dummy enging into the cowl area. I have a few ideas on how to accomplish this but was woundering how others have done this. The instructions are pretty vauge here.

Also, did anyone glue the cowl to the cowl ring? I can believe this is the recommended way to attach this. Doing so will complicate maintenance down the road. I was thinking of bolting on with blind nuts, has anyone else used this method?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2003, 08:11 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will be covering this area (cowl baffling) in the 'Top Flite Corsair Mods' thread, in a week or two. This past 30 days has been pretty hectic for me: 3 out of town trips (one week of work related training in Columbus, OH, one week of vacation in Chattanooga, TN, and now the passing of my GrandMother, who will be buried in the Chicagio area later this week).
And in answer to your question concerning gluing the cowl ring to the cowl, Yes, I have done it on every cowl so far. There are others who prefer to screw it on, making it easier to remove. Before you do anything to your cowl, please read my cowl flap lines posting first.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1%2F..._964836/tm.htm
Old 10-07-2003, 06:16 PM
RC flyer 2

Here are some pictures of my TF Corsair. I have completed all structures and installed 95% of the systems. I need to continue sanding, add the cooling baffle, landing gear doors and install the cockpit kit. Then I'll be covering it in MonoKote.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
RC flyer 2

Here is a closeup of the landing gear detail and flap area. These are the Robart 615's. I cutout flap hatches for these servo's and I used one HD Servo for the ailerons. I have read how many use 2 servo's, but I have installed this type of system in the past and felt very comfortable with it. It works well and is very smooth.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:27 PM
RC flyer 2

Additional shots showing the wing servo setup, and the guts inside the fuse. I elected to put the air system in the fuew vs. the wing. Seemed like much less work and is easily accessable in case I need to work on it.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:36 PM
RC flyer 2

Lastly, Here are some pictures of the business end. As you can see, I liked using the ring to install all acess to the modle. I have the air inlet for the retracts, a fueling inlet as well as one for overflow when filling because I am using a 2 line fuel system. I then added a remote glow location so that nothing needs to be bothered with inside the cowl.

Engine is Supertigre .61 ABC. I am thinking that I may put in a .90.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:07 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I used aluminum tubes on the dummy engine. Looks way better than the white plastic tubes. Painted with testers paints and sealed with lusterkote clear. I didnt glue my cowl on to the ring. I wanted easy access to the engine if I needed it. The ST .90 with a Slimline pitts fit totally inside the cowl. I need to put my new cowl and ring on because of some dead stick damage that happened back in the test flight days. Found a rock pile in the grass. I discovered this weekend its been flying with only 2 servo screws holding it on to the ring. I only noticed it while cleaning up. Some latent damage just now breaking loose. I didnt bother extending the needle valve out of the cowl, that ST.90 is the perfect match and dead on reliable.
Edwin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.