Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 01:06 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dusturbd
ok I would like to know why use house paint at all when I can get good enamels everywhere
2 reasons I can think of right away:
1) it's easy to go to just about any hardware store and get custom matched colors, any color you want, and any variation of glossy to dull.
2) I personally prefer flat or satin latex paints for my warbirds, AND water cleanup.
3) a third reason could be cost, IF you need any type of large quantity.

Regardless, if it isn't for you, I suggest you just move on.

Last edited by CorsairJock; 04-19-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsairJock
Bump (again), because this thread has been so useful, and I need the reminder of how to finish my model
A simple, step-by-step summary would be a nice thing for us beginner painters; something we can copy and store away for the time we need the data. Maybe a description of air brushing techniques using the Home Depot latex paints? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 PM
dusturbd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsairJock
2 reasons I can think of right away:
1) it's easy to go to just about any hardware store and get custom matched colors, any color you want, and any variation of glossy to dull.
2) I personally prefer flat or satin latex paints for my warbirds, AND water cleanup.
3) a third reason could be cost, IF you need any type of large quantity.

Regardless, if it isn't for you, I suggest you just move on.
no reason to get snippy about it i was simply asking because I wanted to know why people where using water based house paint
Old 04-19-2019, 04:30 PM
limodune

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Another good thing about it is the paint does not dry hard like enamel, so it does not chip easy or flake off, it's also easy to touch up when needed

Mike
Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

In practice there are few reasons not to use Latex house paint. I'm not saying its the only paint worth using but it's a good one.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

OK, very experienced builder here (well over 50 years) but I have never used latex on an RC model. Some years ago, I experimented some with less than great results so I've always stayed with what I know .... Klass Kote epoxy (or the old K&B for many years before that) or any of several catalyzed automotive urethanes .... either single stage or BCCC. Now in retirement, I no longer have a good place to spray the more exotic paints though when I do, I set up a tent in the back yard as a spray booth. Working on a couple of scale WWII projects, I'd like to try latex again but most of the articles, threads I read are getting a bit dated. I need some direction to get headed in the right direction. I have a variety of paint guns that range from siphon touch up guns (old Binks 15) to commercial HVLP gravity feed guns with a compressors to match so equipment shouldn't be a problem. Brushing would be fine also if that works! All the planes already have a fiberglass / epoxy base.

Working on several home remodel projects, I notice the latex paints have changed somewhat over the last few years. They apply and appear a bit different than was normal in the past. I notice very little flow out as they dry. Reading about them on line, commercial users also complain of this claiming the formulas have changes some to satisfy environmental regulations .... especially in CA which of course spills over into the rest of the country. The various companies confirm these changes. Has this change in the products affected the way they apply and appear on a model. The planes are gas engine powered .... no glo.

Any help or direction appreciated.

Last edited by Truckracer; 04-19-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:51 AM
BobH

Default Latex paint

Latex paint from Home Depot seems to work very well for me. The last time I used it was on a 1/3 Sopwith Pup. I had the paint mixed to a paint sample I received from New Zealand. They have my subject aircraft down there.
This was about two years ago. The paint was thinned to my liking so it would spray and flow correctly. Regular tap water was used as the thinner. I used an Iwata touch up gun to spray with.
No paint or spray issues resulted during the entire process. I am some what experienced but I'm but no means an expert.
I too have used K&B and other hobby brands over the years and I have nothing against them. I have not used Klass Klote yet but I may in the future.
I do like warbirds colors paints as well and I have used them.
I would suggest a sample jar of latex and give it a try. Cost is cheap and you'll see for yourself if you like it or not.
fyi I use minwax clear satin spray over the latex as a protectant.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:16 AM
Steve_S-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

Using these instructions and Home Depot Paint on my P47 with great results.

latexpaint.pdf
Old 04-20-2019, 07:57 AM
dryverman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Behr latex from Home Depot, thinned with windshield washer fluid, and a couple ounces of Floetrol. After a couple of weeks to cure, I sealed with Minwax Polycrylic.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:56 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dryverman
Behr latex from Home Depot, thinned with windshield washer fluid, and a couple ounces of Floetrol. After a couple of weeks to cure, I sealed with Minwax Polycrylic.
Sir; a beautiful job. A few questions, if I may: What percentage of what windshield washer fluid to the Behr latex? And is the addition of flotrol done after the percentages are calculated? Does the Minwax Polycrylic make the finish fuel proof? Nitro proof? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 AM
dryverman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Ernie. I have found that it's not a percentage of wiper fluid, instead a sort of "trial and error" method, depending on the sprayer used. Roy describes this on his website...he uses a pane of glass to practice on. I add the flotrol to the paint before mixing in the wiper fluid. Very little gas gets on the plane so it's not a problem, don't think nitro would cause any problems either...the polycrylic seals the weathering detail, I use a VERY light coat...
Old 04-21-2019, 07:57 AM
BobH

Default House paint

What flotrol does is it allows the paint to level before it dries. You don't hat to use it though. I've done it both ways with success.
I also don't use wind shield washer fluid. I use straight tap water. It works ok too.
Once my latex is mixed I start adding the water. When the paint is about the consistency of milk or a little thicker it's good to spray
Old 04-21-2019, 03:15 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try some test panels this week to see how things go. Its time to get my long dormant Ziroli Skyraider back in the air again.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:41 PM
limodune

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here are some planes I have painted in the last couple years, just house paint and thinned with tap water, not sure why you need to add a paint leveler, it has to be sprayed thin with a least 3 or 4 coat's to get color depth, I use a cheap gravity feed finishing gun for the large area's and an air brush for the small stuff

Mike

Mike

Old 04-23-2019, 09:37 AM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Latex house paint

Wow guys there is a lot of very nice looking planes on this thread
as far as latex paint I have always used home depot's
Paint but I always get the sample that is only $3.50 a container and if I need a special color they can match it
And yes washer fluid for me works the best even with clean
Up but one thing I have found is when that bird is done
And your wondering what clear to put on it
use a uv protection clear or the clear will get sticky in the sunlight I had to find out the hard way
Old 11-23-2021, 08:53 AM
K Rohrbach

I’ve used Valspar paint from Lowe’s with great success as well for just touch up repair on matt or flat military jet schemes
Old 11-24-2021, 01:55 AM
SIX GUNS

As far as using latex paint I've also used denatured alcohol to thin the paint for spraying just dont get it to thin
Old 11-24-2021, 05:10 AM
flyn2high

To spray laytex paint I use about 2 oz of Floetrol and just a little distilled water. One tip is to use a spray gun wit a big nozzle then you can use less water and you have less chance of it running. My big primer gun is a harbor freight special with a 1.8 nozzle. Spray lots of light coats and use a heat gun to dry in between until its covered.

I also use the Home Depot custom mix sample size in the best exterior latex enamel grade. They only sell it only in a flat sheen but i clear coat it with KlassKote epoxy paint. Let the lattex dry good first. I usually use semi gloss clear but you can have whatever sheen you like. The other nice thing is after it is cured gas, oil and even lacquer thinner will not effect it.

One thing I don't like about using water based laytex is it is very tough to make a crisp taped edge like you can with KlassKote or lacquer.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I tried all the tricks with Flotrol and Denatured Alcohol, but have settled on just plane tap water and laying on very very light mist coats, I also use a small fan to help the mist coat dry between coats,

I use the Systems Three water based poly-U for finish and sealing the latex, with the crosslinker it's also glow fuel proof

Blue is Lowes Valspar latex

Yellow is Latex, the rest is rattle can

Blue on bottom, the camo is Rustoleum

My first try with latex almost 10 years ago,, Behr from home depot

glow fuel proof

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 11-25-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:48 AM
K Rohrbach

Originally Posted by flyn2high
To spray laytex paint I use about 2 oz of Floetrol and just a little distilled water. One tip is to use a spray gun wit a big nozzle then you can use less water and you have less chance of it running. My big primer gun is a harbor freight special with a 1.8 nozzle. Spray lots of light coats and use a heat gun to dry in between until its covered.

I also use the Home Depot custom mix sample size in the best exterior latex enamel grade. They only sell it only in a flat sheen but i clear coat it with KlassKote epoxy paint. Let the lattex dry good first. I usually use semi gloss clear but you can have whatever sheen you like. The other nice thing is after it is cured gas, oil and even lacquer thinner will not effect it.

One thing I don't like about using water based laytex is it is very tough to make a crisp taped edge like you can with KlassKote or lacquer.
great info, thank you!!!!
Old 12-01-2021, 06:12 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Using the blue windshield washer fluid will tint some colors, like yellow. The yellow has a greenish tint to it that really bugged me at first but since it is not a scale bird I got over it. I will use plain or distilled water next time I spray latex.
This has Lowes latex with KlassKote satin clear.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:34 AM
BobH

Default Latex paint

Min wax clear can be bought in a spray can. It worksmwell over Latex. They have both clear and satin. Warn the can before using to get a fiber spray.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:48 AM
K Rohrbach

Originally Posted by K Rohrbach
great info, thank you!!!!
I have good guns, Sata and Devilbis jamb gun which both will shoot really fine mist so hopefully it will all work out. Like any painting will do some good testing to get a good feel for it and see if I get the results I want.
thanks guys for all the input 👍👍👍
Old 12-02-2021, 11:31 AM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Klass Kote is a two part catalyzed epoxy paint that is fuel proof, whether gas or glow. Can be purchased in most warbird colors in amounts from half pint(with catalyst at 50:50m8xes full pint) up to a gallon. A reducer, also available can be used for spray systems, including air brushes. There is also a two part catalyzed primer as well.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:42 AM
flyn2high

Originally Posted by Txmustangflyer
Klass Kote is a two part catalyzed epoxy paint that is fuel proof, whether gas or glow. Can be purchased in most warbird colors in amounts from half pint(with catalyst at 50:50m8xes full pint) up to a gallon. A reducer, also available can be used for spray systems, including air brushes. There is also a two part catalyzed primer as well.
I love Klass kote. I mix 1/3 paint 1/3 catalyst and 1/3 reducer (same as you but with the reducer) and use my good gun to shoot it. It works great in the airbrush as well but It needs more reducer to get a fine pattern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.