Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:20 AM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

I sent Dave Platt a question on this a while back and his reply was "I use latex paint for my house, I use KlassKote for my airplanes." I'm becoming a big KlassKote fan although it's pricey and the wait time while it catalyzes is annoying. Anyhow, I told Dave that he is a funny man and I do appreciate his advice.

Tom
Old 06-28-2006, 04:05 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

I used latex on warbirds and found my local paint store to be an irreplaceable source of servace , they take the time to mix my colors as if i am buying $500 when in reality it may end up being $25.00

I tried walmart and they really struggled with my azar blue /p40 request when I even had a paint swatch to match .

my biggest suggestion as probaly menthioned is test the clear cote on your final choice before you add it to your model , as you know CJ, many clear cotes have a differant make up then the latex and you dont want the dredded river wrinkle look
Old 06-28-2006, 09:52 AM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

My local Benjamin Moore dealer has mixed paint for me and has been able to match any color plus they have all the Federal Color standard number formulas listed under government paint.

I am also in the process of painting my Hellcat the tri-color scheme. What would you recommend as the sequence for applying the three colors on the fuselage and WHY ?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: HalH
..............I am also in the process of painting my Hellcat the tri-color scheme. What would you recommend as the sequence for applying the three colors on the fuselage and WHY ?
I prefer light colors 1st, because dark colors cover light areas easier than light colors cover dark areas.

Clear cote was not an issue on my Corsair, I didn't need it since it is electric powered and doesn't need fuel proofing. But you are right LDM: IF you use a clear cote (and you will need to for fuel powered models) you will need to check for compatability before painting your model with it, by trying it out on a sample (painting something with 'house' paint, then applying clear cote).
Old 06-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Humm...
Maybe know one noticed my post..
Does anyone know how gloss colors come out?
how do they compare to automotive paint?
Thank you
Ronnie
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also in the process of painting my Hellcat the tri-color scheme. What would you recommend as the sequence for applying the three colors on the fuselage and WHY ?
I think everyone who ever suggested an answer to this question said to do the lightest color first. It will usually take only one coat of a darker paint over a lighter one. So when you do the next color, your only task will be to get it's placement correct and you won't have to worry about it's coverage. The less you gotta make right, the more chance you got of doing it right. Also, since dark over light takes less paint, you'll also have a very minor benefit of less weight of paint.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

ron here is your answer about gloss color. gloss in general has a larger resin content which when applied forms a coating over the pigment usually making darker colors deeper and obviously more shiny.if you over thin these products you will begin to dull the finish no matter what the type of paint you use.flat has the pigment suspended closer to the surface and has a slight texture to the surface thats why you need to sand glossy paint more than flat for recoating.
automotive paint has a much harder finish but the hardness and durability depends on the quality of the substrate/surface a overly flexible surface will crack the paint over time. latex is a more flexible product by far.
C.J. it was me who posted about the Benjamin Moore paint on Richards thread . pertaining to the value of computer color matching and accuracy, most machines are aprox.70/90% of the swatch being matched . I know this because as besides being trained by Benjamin Moore paints inc.to use a color computer and working in a paint store for over 3 years I have been a contractor for over a decade . I would recommend when matching paint chips that you request a "eye" match. after using the color matching machine the paint is tweaked for the most accurate match possible. as for brands well thats a personal decision of course and the H.D. paint works as well as any, the Beahr brand BTW has a high poly content product, polyurethane that is, and is a smooth material a little plastic like for me. I personally don't use it as I have had poor color matching results over time and my clients prefer B.M. as do I for work. the durability is directly related to the pigment quality and of the material grind of the brand you use the more costly products grind there raw materials to a finer consistancy. cheap products fade faster and don't last as long of course, especially the darker ones.
as for fisheye there are fisheye bans for water based products, weather or not they are effective or not on paint? I do know they work on WB lacquer.I try to do light coats and build up color and havn't had any problems heavy coats often produce fisheye.
most dont think about interior or exterior paint , but interior is actually harder and sands better than EXT.most have more resin and clays which makes it sand well. exterior has to flex with the wheather and tends to be more gummy to sand. alot of ext. paint, not all, has water soluble oils for flexability and durability which can be a pain when spraying and may contribute to fisheye .
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Ron101

Thanks Big Tim,
it sounds like auto paint may be the way to go for gloss finish...
I may have to save the latex for the military flat stuff..
I'm buliding a hotspot jet trainer .. doen in the edwards airforce chase scheme.. white and red gloss...
I hate the fumes of autopaint... i thought latex may work out.. maybe I'll try a test panel.. to see how it looks
thanks again
Ronnie
Old 06-29-2006, 01:04 AM
bigtim

Ron if you want a really hard glossy finish in latex try benjamin moore "Impervex" latex it is available in pint size containers in several bright colors. then sand lightly and put a coat or 2 of varathane diamond high gloss its the hardest WB poly I know of , I used it to glass my spitfire with and it also makes a great floor finish LOL it is also low odor and recoats fast. with out a doubt the auto is a toxic brew ,just keep in mind the latex takes at least 2-3 weeks before fully cured for max fuel resistance
Old 06-29-2006, 07:43 AM
da Rock

If you want the best gloss finish you probably need to get it from the final coats. And those would need to be clear. And the thicker the better, so you'll need more than one or two top coats. If you're needing to fuelproof latex, then you're probably going to need three clearcoats anyway to insure surface integrity. So if you're looking for gloss, you'll be getting it anyway.

BTW, if you're wanting fuelproofing and want it to be flat, with the old paints, you really needed more than three top coats because the flat was more porous.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Ron101

Thanks guys...
I'm going to make up a few test panels...
I've been wanting to try glassing with waterbased poly for awhile so I'll test that out too..
I've have learned the hard way to always test paint out on something besides the plane for the first time..
it sucks to sand off all your paint...lol

Ronnie
Old 06-29-2006, 10:30 AM
kahn41
My Feedback: (4)

I cut my paint with water only, to the consistency of milk! BTW where do you buy paint in only a pint? I can only purchase in a quart! I have enough warbird colors to spray an entire fleet!
Greg
Old 06-29-2006, 09:34 PM
bigtim

the paint I was refering to impervex gloss, has a limited amount of colors in the pint size ,actually 1/2 pint size, colors like white,black, blue,bright red,a green,yellow and a few others if you want a custom color you have to buy a QT size unless you mix the stock ones , the varathane diamond WB poly comes in 1/2 pint to gallon sizes in flat, satin and gloss finish I really like the varathane its incredibly hard when cured and recoats in a hour, if you wait longer than that just a light sanding is needed and after cure it sands great.its also real light .I got the idea from RC WARBIRDS.com from the SBD Dauntless thread the builder did a compairison test and the weight and smell was the kicker so I tried it being used to using the product helped for sure, but I was really surprised it worked really well considering its a floor and furniture finish.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:13 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

I'll throw in my two cents worth. I was told,(do not remember who) not to use both the flotrol and windshield fliud to thin the paint. I use nothing but cheap windshield washer fluid to thin it about 30%. I use a HVLP gun at about 25# of air pressure with great results. I then used polycrylic clear over it to get a semi gloss finish.
Gary Webb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26741.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	484992  
Old 06-30-2006, 10:33 PM
bigtim

gary your stang looks great. what kit did you use? floetrol retards drying time to allow latex to flow out and give a smoother finish ,its mostly used for trim paint. window washer fluid seems to work well it has a combonation of a cleaner and alcohol.
here's another tip if you want to get your latex to set quick mix a small amt.of denatured alcohol 10% into the paint then thin with water for spraying, when you spray it evaporates and sets the paint faster so the paint doesn't run and drys faster without the soap that WWF has.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:09 AM
gary9648

Thanks for the tip and complement on my mustang. However the soap in WW fluid acts as a surfactant that makes the paint flow out. It makes it wetter. The same for flotrol. Flotrol is very expensive compared to WW fluid. I will try to find some clear WW fluid, because my next plane is mostly white. I used the blue for all colors on my Mustang, and the yellow matches the paint in the can after it dried. I to used the metalic silver latex sold by Home Depot. They mixed all my paint to order. great and friendly service, she wasn't bad looking either...LOL
I used exterior latex primer, and color.
The last part of the question, the plane was built from a Fiberclassics kit. Has a First Place 5.8 in the nose, Sierra retracts and Robart wheels, air operated canopy, all nav lights and swing down LL are functional. Sequencing gear doors, drop tanks are releasable in flight and the rear scoop door opens and closes due to engine throttle setting, even the gas cap on the side of the fuse is operational. I did a build on RCU titled Fiberclassic Mustang p-51now Comp ARF P-51. The plane is awaiting its's maiden flight. I had a static showing of it for a Tuskegee airmen gathering, and was waiting till that was over.
Gary
Old 09-01-2013, 05:01 AM
CorsairJock

(bump)
I was searching for this about a month ago and couldn't find it. It appears that RCU may have been going thru a transition at that time tho, and I was able to find it with a seach today.
MUCH useful info here, so I decided to bump it for the benefit of others.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 AM
LDM

Lowe's will mix small containers of Vaspar trial sizes to exact color swatch match.
Just be courteous and go in the off hours like after 7pm on the weekend ect.
Pica Dora was done with the Vaspar home paint

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	575.2 KB
ID:	1915388  
Old 09-01-2013, 06:53 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Home depot sells the small "samples" they call them. Actually, they have enough paint in one can to do an entire medium sized plane, and they are only around $4. I use washer fluid and floetrol. It works very well and is so user friendly. If you make a mistake you can wipe it off and start over. When airbrushing, I keep my heat gun handy to speed up drying, so I can keep working. I think latex tends to clog a lot in the airbrush, compared to other types of paints, but it does still work well. My Pica Dora as well, and my last project a Fokker tripe. Both usingBehr, and airbrushed quite heavily.

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	663
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	1915393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker maiden 001.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1915394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker maiden 003.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1915395  
Old 09-01-2013, 07:56 AM
LDM

nice work !!!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM
prop wash

Hi Jim,we missed you the passed 2 yrs at "Midwestsundowners" warbird day.Any special reason?I figured you went to another in Michigan.
I'll be going to "Elkhart "Air supremacy Over Elkhart" the 12-13-14 th of this month.Hope you'll drop by.
Tom
Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 AM
CorsairJock

Bump (again), because this thread has been so useful, and I need the reminder of how to finish my model
Old 04-14-2019, 03:59 PM
prop wash

Hi again Jim..Tom [5 yrs later]
Old 04-14-2019, 05:12 PM
CorsairJock

Originally Posted by prop wash
Hi again Jim..Tom [5 yrs later]
Hi Tom, been trying to PM you, it's been a long time, good to know you're still around
Old 04-19-2019, 11:33 AM
dusturbd

ok I would like to know why use house paint at all when I can get good enamels everywhere

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.