Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbirds & digital servos ... Worth it ??

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbirds & digital servos ... Worth it ??

Old 02-04-2005, 09:24 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warbirds & digital servos ... Worth it ??

Looking for opinions here guys... Giant scale warbirds, is your preference digital servos or a quality analog servo?

Example... 8411 vs a 4721.

No right or wrong answer I'm looking for, but interested if one can really notice a difference in SCALE flying.

By that, I mean smooth realistic flying ala a full size warbird. ( 85 " to 102" planes mostly )

Building a Ziroli P 51... wondering which servos to use. I actually have both of these in stock in my shop, but wondering if there is any advantage to digitals?

At this point, I've used mostly 9402, 4721 or 9202 on my warbirds.

So, share your thoughts and opinions please.

Good Day.

Last warbird I built .... ( 9202 servos btw )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12869.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	225045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60716.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	225046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41380.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	225047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65402.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	225048  
Old 02-04-2005, 09:45 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warbirds & digital servos ... Worth it ??

Jim,

Personally for me I have not found that much flight difference in servos for any of my warbirds. Aerobatic planes with a nuch more precision flight are a different story. I have used hitec for almost all of my warbirds, only to keep the cost down. They have performed flawlessly and I have never had a problem with them. At $40 or less each and with the track record they have I have a hard time trying any other at as much as twice the cost. If you like what you use and don't mind spending the extra cash, then stay with them. Just my .02
Old 02-04-2005, 09:46 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, IFLYRC, you should really repaint that bird of yours. Looks all weathered and run down. LOL
I find using digitals on the flaps and rudder of big warbirds to be an advantage. On the flaps, the holding power, and on the rudder, speed. I can not see any difference for the ailerons or elevator. I use all Hitec servos because of there ability to be programed. I use a PCM Futaba reciever with a 9Z transimitter. Just my two cents worth.
By the way, fantastic looking model!
Old 02-05-2005, 07:35 AM
SpitfireMKI
My Feedback: (2)

The nice part about digital is that it has full power at center where most analogs do not. That way surfaces are not deflecting when they're not suppose too. I use the hitec HS5645MG with no complaints. Price is reasonable and their ability to be programmed is a major help for many special situations.

As far as flying a warbird and a difference, hard to say when precision flying is not really a warbird strong point. All the servos you have listed are excellent warbird servos and little difference would be noticed.

I have been told that the 8411 was not designed to hold a surface in position (like a flap) for a long period of time. Apparently it cost the owner a BVM F-86 when one flap failed and the other stayed down-ouch !

If I was to set your plane up with your servos, I would have 8411's on the elevator and rudder, 4721's on the flaps and ailerons, and 9202's on throttle and retract valve. The 9202 could be ailerons if you were out of the 4721.

If I had to buy new, I'd go with the Hitecs.

S1
Old 02-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I would have to agree with the others here that either will do well. I fly scale warbirds in the size range you are speaking of plus some larger. Properly sized analog servos are doing a good job for me. Remember that 10 years ago we did not have digital servos and big scale birds and unlimited racers got along just fine. Probably the next decade will see the digital servo as the predominate offering. But for the present use what you can afford that will do the job.
I fly a mixture of Hi-Tec, Futaba, and JR analogs using a Futaba 9ZAPS WCII transmitter. When analog selections decline to the point that I cannot find the correct servo for the job then I will add digitals but until that time the 60+ analog servos in my scale birds work fine for me.
ORIGINAL: IFLYRC-RCU

Looking for opinions here guys... Giant scale warbirds, is your preference digital servos or a quality analog servo?

Example... 8411 vs a 4721.

No right or wrong answer I'm looking for, but interested if one can really notice a difference in SCALE flying.

By that, I mean smooth realistic flying ala a full size warbird. ( 85 " to 102" planes mostly )

Building a Ziroli P 51... wondering which servos to use. I actually have both of these in stock in my shop, but wondering if there is any advantage to digitals?

At this point, I've used mostly 9402, 4721 or 9202 on my warbirds.

So, share your thoughts and opinions please.

Good Day.

Last warbird I built .... ( 9202 servos btw )
Old 02-05-2005, 01:34 PM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

One advantage the digitals offer, that I take advantage of, is the fact that 2 digitals can be connected via Y connector, yet since each can be programmed separately, it allows use of only one receiver channel. This is handy for ailerons, flaps, split elevators, etc. I actually ran out of channels on the receiver on my last Corsair, but found I could Y connect both the aileron and flap servos, and open up receiver channels for other functions(bomb release, sliding canopy, etc.)!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:45 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary ...

OK, I'll strip all the paint off the Spit per your direction. All other projects on hold ! [ grin ] It will look "Pristine" the next time you see it !

Carey..

Hi ! You FW 190 servos ( Hitec ) sure held up OK.. I put a good 75 flights on them before "pasing it on" to another club member.

Looks like the analogs are going to win out.. I know the digitals make a huge difference on my aerobatic planes from a precision standpoint.

Good Day.