Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

century jet upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

century jet upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default century jet upgrade

A few months back I wrote a thread about the issue with the "stress proff insert" that connects the strut to the cam on CJ gear. The basis of my position is that the "stress proff insert" bends way to easily on the gear. I have CJ gear on my TF 1/7 51, 47 and Pica FW-190. I fly off a paved field and would rate myself an OK warbird pilot, sometimes I land alittle hard but most of the time the landings are just fine. The only reason I mention this is that I have been frustrated to no end with the ease the CJ gear bends at the "insert". Its often just a small degree at first but compounds over time as the metal stresses. Many of you that fly CJ probably know the issue. Now before the "Pro CJ" crowd lets loose let me say that other then this issue I like the product and Bruce at CJ has always been helpful, the bottom line is that I find the tolerance of the insert is just to light. So with all that said I went to a machine shop that specializes in very high tolerence motor parts both auto and aero and am having new inserts machined that will fit the centurian gear. The inserts are a SS alloy approx twice the strenght. I would also add the guy that owns the shop flys RC so he gets the problem, he also wasnt to kind on the quality of what I showed him from CJ. So the inserts will bend but under a load thats more that just a bounce from a 9-12lb plane. If any of you guys want in on the deal I will be glad to add up the total # of inserts needed divided by the total cost and pass on at cost. As example the 12 inserts I need would cost about $15 each, which is high but includes the $100 CNC set upcharge. Im not trying to make this a business deal just help out other RCer's that have the same issue. If your interested let me know how many you would like, Ill add it up and advise a final per unit price.
Cheers
Kirk
Old 02-05-2005, 09:00 AM
raston

Default RE: century jet upgrade

Yes, I would be interested in two sets. Just let me know how much and how to arrange it with you.
Thanks VERY much!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:32 PM
raston

Hi Kirk,

Any word on those inserts yet?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:50 PM
HUMMERH3
My Feedback: (7)

Ill take two for my p40..topflite
Old 02-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a note from Bruce about the improved oleo struts:

ATTENTION: CENTURION LANDING GEAR OWNERS

ALL CENTURION LANDING GEAR PRODUCED AFTER NOVEMBER 15, 2004 HAVE A BULLET PROOF INNER STRUT INSTALLED. NO LONGER WILL THE INNER STRUT BEND AS A RESULT OF DAY IN AND DAY OUT NORMAL FLYING OPERATION. IF IT DOES AND YOU ARE THE ORIGINAL OWNER, WE WILL REPLACE THE INNER STRUT FREE OF CHARGE AS LONG AS YOU OWN THE LANDING GEAR. NO OTHER COMPANY CAN OFFER THIS WARRANTY.

So far the oleos on my Hellcat are holding up fine and still slide smoothly.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Kirk RC

Guys,
Sorry its taken awhile to get back, busy at work traveling constantly. I read Richard L's note and called CJ. The part they are ungrading is the lower insert below the sissors, not the upper insert that fits the strut into the retract cam. The part that Im upgrading is the upper insert. The specific CJ name for the part Im upgrading is "7/32 Stress proof Insert #3002B". With all that said Raston and Serpente you both want two each, correct. Here is what I will do. The set up charge to CNC mill the part is around $60-$100, I will pay all that. I plan to have 12 inserts machined for a material and labor cost at around $15 per insert, yes I think thats alot as well but heck to fix the issue its worth it. I will send you each two in the mail, PM me your address. When you get them please send me $30, I will include my address in the shipment. Does that work for you guys?
Cheers
Kirk
Old 07-05-2005, 10:06 AM
raston

Hi Kirk,

The inserts you sent are great. In fact, I'd like to get 2 more sets. Do you have any available?

Thx.
Rick
Old 07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
270win
My Feedback: (14)

I just bent a set of these today!! The lower portion was the problem... below the scissors. I'm going to send them back to CJ. Bruce has taken good care of me in the past. But I am interested in those upper inserts too. Any chance on getting a set?

Old 07-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Kirk RC

Guys,
Let me see how many I have left and I will get back to you. These things are strong!! But the other weakness in CJ retracts are now apparent without the flex of the original pin. Im begining to think that this is my last pair of CJ. I now have two pair of robarts in 1/5 scale warbirds and they are flawless so far.
KirkRC
Old 07-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Tsutomu Mabuchi
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks info, Richard L.

I will send several unused gears to CJM for upgrade.

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Old 07-08-2005, 10:30 AM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Kirk RC,

You are to be commended on developing a fix for this gear and sharing your expertise with the RC community. Having been more than dissatisfied with three sets of CJM gear and totally burned on an expensive Deluxe Sptifire kit, I've come to the realization that the only true upgrade for CJM stuff is another brand. But, hey, that's just me.

Keep up the good work and thanks for helping out your fellow modellers.

Al
Old 07-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tsutomu Mabuchi

Thanks info, Richard L.

I will send several unused gears to CJM for upgrade.
You are welcome, Tsutomu.