Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Wing Manufacturing F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Wing Manufacturing F4U Corsair

Old 02-08-2005, 11:27 PM
tigertooth
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Manufacturing F4U Corsair

Has anyone built the Corsair short kit before? I haven't seen anything reviews on it and was wondering how well it flew. Looks like a nice design.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Asanders

Default RE: Wing Manufacturing F4U Corsair

Hi Tiger,

I havent flown the Corsair but I had several of the Wing Fw-190's. They flew very well. I used one of the Fw's to teach a neighbor teenager how to fly taildraggers. He had soloed on a trainer plane and wanted to try a warbird. He could handle it in the air so I taught him the finer points of taildragger warbirds.

the plane is very stable. I would be comfortable with the fact that the Corsair would be in the same category from Wing manufacturing

Good luck !

always good to hear about another Corsair taking shape !
Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM
ELTIGRE

I have found the corsair to be a somewhat tricky warbird. roll rate is fast & short coupled elevator needs to be watched closely. as with many warbirds orientation due to usual all-blue color can be confusing. landing is fine due to cowl drag except in crosswinds I have the old Wing Mfg catalog & it gives descriptions of the handling for all the short kits / i 'll post when I find it. ...............
Old 02-09-2005, 09:14 PM
ELTIGRE

As promised;from the WING MFG catalog test pilot report;

take off roll-excellent, top speed 85+mph, landing speed 22 mph(with optional flaps), flight stability -excellent,rolls-good, loop stability-excellent, inverted flight -good, control response -excellent, approaches-low sink rate- no tip stall, stable in flare, no nose over charateristics. flying level-intermediate

by the way the FW-190 mentioned earlier above ; take off roll-excellent -little rudder corection, top speed 85 mph, landing speed 28 mph, flight stability excellent, rolls-excellent, loops-good, inverted -excellent,controls -- very positive, approaches- low sink rate, flare -holds well, landing-good on grass field, intermediate flying skills.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a lekky but here is a alternative to the typical Blue. I plan to do the same on a TF kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98141.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	227345  
Old 02-10-2005, 09:21 PM
tigertooth

Asanders and ELTIGER thanks for the info on the kits. Cool looking Corsair Vicman! Could you give us some specs on your plane and have you flown it yet? The post war racing scheme looks great.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:29 PM
vicman

Thanks but its nothing special. GWS unpainted stock can 370. I used the "Lucky Gallon" Race 92 scheme from a Goodyear advertising toy. The full scale Race 92 was actually a creme/red scheme but I lilke the blue and gold better. Most Corsairs go in because of visibility issues, not a problem with this scheme.

pm me for some better images.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:53 PM
rlarkin70

ORIGINAL: Asanders

Hi Tiger,

I havent flown the Corsair but I had several of the Wing Fw-190's. They flew very well. I used one of the Fw's to teach a neighbor teenager how to fly taildraggers. He had soloed on a trainer plane and wanted to try a warbird. He could handle it in the air so I taught him the finer points of taildragger warbirds.

the plane is very stable. I would be comfortable with the fact that the Corsair would be in the same category from Wing manufacturing

Good luck !

always good to hear about another Corsair taking shape !
sounds like the 190 flys well. what power plant did you use? retracts, or fixed? I have one of these on the shelf, gathering dust. foam wing, sounds like it will go together fairly quickly. but it doesn't seem very scale, from looking at the plans.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:22 PM
vicman

I have one too. After I saw it on the cover of RCM a few years back I had to get one but never got around to building it.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:35 PM
tigertooth

I have built and flown a couple of the Wing P-40 Tomahawks. Fox .40, monokote and matching lusterkote paint. Olive Drab and Dove Gray with eyes and teeth. With the Fox it flew very scale speeds but could have used a little more power. Good flier and great glide when flairing in for landing. I have all the templates cut out for the Corsair and hope to start building in a few weeks.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:16 PM
funkworks

I built a Wing Mfg Corsair a few years back. It flew fairly well...Better than I expected since it came out so heavy. I glassed and painted the model. The only pain was getting all the wing parts lined up right. I would recommend using a servo for each wing. It makes construction easier and gives a better response in flight. I added a fair amount of lead in the cowl and used a weighted prop nut to get the model to balance correctly with an OS 46FX. Overall, I liked the kit.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:13 PM
tigertooth

Hey Funkworks, sounds good and I will use a servo for each wing panel. Did you install the flaps? If so, how did it handle on the landings?