Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

cmp p47 thunderbolt

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

cmp p47 thunderbolt

Old 03-19-2005, 02:01 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: cmp p47 thunderbolt

I have tried pretty much everything I can think of, I never come close to using up a bettery in one day of flight so dont think that would help. I am going to take your suggestion on the wheels, the plane came stock with the heavy duty rubber style wheels so I think I can save a bit there.

The total damage is 6.2lbs total weight ready to fly minus fuel.

I have a total of about 3/4lbs of lead in the nose.

I think 6.2lbs flight weight isnt too totally bad for a .46 engine 55" wingspan model, what do you think?

Planning on giving it another flight test on monday, so I will see how it goes.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:16 PM
kqutob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff
I've seen this problem with the CMP P-47 before. The plane wont fly straight without constant elevator control no matter how you trim it or how much nose weight you add. A friend of mine lost one after a few painful flights. Another one finished his but wont test fly it until we fully understand the problem. So far the only thing I came out with (other than the CG issue) is that the wing incidence is 3% off the thrust line .
So far as far as I know the only one who has had success with this plane is Hellcat so I guess he's the one with the right answers.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:07 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Hi All

I went to the warehouse on Friday. Picked up a 70" span zero. You can't beat the zero for what you get for around $200.00. It is very impressive and pretty scale to the above average eye. The quality from China has just jumped light years with these. Any weak points are easily remedied by the assembler.

The draw back on the 70" span P-51 is the very small spinner, but monday I'll take another look to see if for $200.oo I can live with it. The spit I didn't see, but will look at it.
The spit is priced at $225.00.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55731.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	246441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46799.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	246442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20991.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	246443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51167.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	246444  
Old 03-20-2005, 01:12 PM
jeffk464

Are there anymore people out their with experience with these planes. I would like to hear the experience of others with the small thunderbolt. I have seen lots of reviews on the spit and the mustang, mostly positive. There are, however, very few reviews on the smaller cmp models.
Someday I would really like to get the large spitfire, but I think I need to crash a few of my current models first.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:15 PM
jeffk464

By the way that zero looks like a beautiful plane, but I'm now kind of scared about the amount of lead these radial engine style planes require. I think I need the long snouts of inline engine airplanes to balance out my taste in engines.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:29 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Jeff , Richard L in the warbird section has flown the CMP modles and realy seems to like them .
Go to warbirds and he has flown the Wildcat , the Spit and I think the Zero
Old 03-20-2005, 09:36 PM
SCALECRAFT

Jeffk

Your right, balance is key to a safe return of an airframe. But the zero I have shown is light enough to have ballast (for its size)and be correctly CGed, and still not be a heavy loaded model. And at the same time it seems to be somewhat durable. Not to fragile as I have seen in the past. As you said many radial models require dead weight to CG, but without the correct CG, your entire model, no matter how light will be dead.

I'll let you guys know how this airframe performs, I'm sure it will be forgiving.

steve
Old 03-20-2005, 09:42 PM
jeffk464

The reviews say it flys great scalecraft. You could always stick one of those gas cc lead weights of an engine on it. I have always flown with lightweight 2 stroke glow engines so the nose weight issue is kind of important to me.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:31 PM
jeffk464

Just got back from my flight field and now have two decent flights on the p47. Overall it flew fairly well today, it was stable and putted around the sky smoothly. In turns it wanted to drop the nose more than I'm used to and required alot of correction to keep the nose up. In level flight I would say it was probably hitting about 40mph with my tower hobbies .46 engine with bisson muffler. The climb rate was ok but could have been better. On my second flight I ran out of fuel and had to dead stick it in, and it floated in with no problem. I am flying with an 11x6 propeller and I think too much of the prop thrust is being disturbed by the large cowling. I think the bigger the prop, the better this plane will fly, I'm going to try a 12.25x3.75. Probably a large spinner would also help but would definitely break up the scale looks of this plane. In my opinion this plane should have a 4stroke engine I think it would balance the plane with less lead and they swing larger props.

My other observation today was that the elevator halves dont stay lined up with each other, every time I used the elevator I needed to re-trim the ailerons to keep the wings level. I think I will glue in a support on eachside of the pushrod so that it cant move from side to side. Does anybody know any other solutions to this problem, someone suggested using a servo for each elevator?

Old 03-21-2005, 10:37 PM
SCALECRAFT

Thanks Jeffk
Old 04-24-2005, 05:28 PM
jeffk464

I just thought I would give a follow up to my thread on the cmp p47. I have finally got everything trimmed, balanced, and set up. The plane is still a handful to fly, if you have too much throw in the elevator it becomes completely unstable and will not fly level. With everything set up properly correct throws and all the plane will fly perfectly straight with no corrections, but as soon as any maneuver is attempted the plane requires constant attention. Take offs and landing are fairly stable so long as approaches are long and well set up, dont want to try maneuvering to much on the way in. Any type of maneuver and this plane seems to want to fight back, even simple maneuvers like a high bank turn. I have been flying model airplanes for 15 years, minus 6 years somewhere in the middle, and believe I have good piloting skills and this thing is almost beyond my abilities. If I had to guess why the plane doesnt fly well I would say that it's to heavy for how much wing it has. I have heard people say that the larger cmp models fly well so I guess its just this particular size and design.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 71" CMPro P47, and it flies exactly as you described, I thought it funny that you had hit the very same problems that I found.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:42 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

WOW !!! I was considering a CMP P40 72" span , now i may rethink that !
I know the Big CMP Spitfire was reported to fly very good as well as the hellcat .
Its sounds like weight is a factor considering the P47 is usually a good desing .
It also sounds like there could be a "factory" alignmeny problem, what I am suggestng is that possibly the wing is off slighty or stab , do you recall in the assembly process if they were right on the mark as far as alligment .
I am putting together a VQ P40 and I can tell you the wing mounting holes if simply as is would set the allignment off .
Old 05-04-2005, 07:02 AM
US185Damiani

Hi Guys,
I really think this airplane has an Aft CG it sounds like it.
I just sold my CMP P-47 with 3 years and tons of flights and it flew like a dream. I had to add 12 .oz of lead to the nose. The elevator is very sensitive as it is on any warbird, because it is large and has a short fuselage. it just takes a light thumb. also I flew mine on an O.S. .46 FX with a 12x6 master airscrew. this combo worked great. Just keep it a bit rich. this Model is not a sport plane it has to be flown accordingly, and is a good trainer for the TF Warbirds.
anyhoo just my $.02
Old 05-04-2005, 06:14 PM
jeffk464

I was very carefull to balance this plane exactly on the cg designated in the instructions after my first day of flying. As far as having something mis-aligned during the build process, nothing bad enough to make it fly like this. I have flown plenty of planes with minor warp and alignment problems back in my kit building days and once they were trimmed they flew better than this. Also after I flew the cmp and got it trimmed out the way I wanted the control surfaces are pretty much neutral. The elevator has a slight amount of down trim in it and I dont notice the plane pitching up or down when I play with the throttle.

I think the plane is just not a good flyer. To make it fly well the nose either needs to be a little bit longer or the weight of everything behind the wing needs to be reduced. In the box this plane is not the lightest in the world and then when you add close to 3/4lbs of lead to the nose the wing loading is just to high. Anyways, just my humble opinion, I dont see what else would cause the problem.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:54 AM
SeaHawk

Hello Jeff,

Although I have never owned the 40 sized P47 I have had the 40 sized P40 and the 90 sized FW190 from CMPro. The elevator halves moving seperately to each other is a common problem. The P40 would never loop straight because the sideways movements of the elevator pushrod as it followed the arc of the servo arm moved the elevator halves differentially. When I assembled the FW190 I added a torque rod between the elevator halves in addition to the standard setup. This, and "hardening" the balsa surrounding the torque rod holes with cyano seems to do the trick.

The P40 had a 58 4 stroke in the nose so the balance wasn't a real problem, the manual's balance point on the other hand was. The P40 manual had a disastrously innaccurate CofG position. Snap city. Throw away the manual and do some research on how to calculate the CofG correctly.

The 72" span, 90 sized, radial engined types from ESM and CMPro balance without dead weight with a Zenoah G26 up front. I would rather have spark ignition adding weight than lead. I have used the Zenoah G26 in both the ESM Sea Fury and the CMPro FW190. A great combo.

Regards

Col
Old 05-05-2005, 01:11 PM
jeffk464

Thanks for the feedback seahawk, I solved the split elevator problem. I glued a plastic guide on each side of the elevator pushrod at the first bulkhead. The two guides stop any significant side to side movent without adding much in the way of drag on the pushrod. I really don't want to add more weight to the nose, but you think I might still be tail heavy?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:13 PM
jeffk464

Ill have to weigh it again and get a new flight ready weight for the plane.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:56 PM
US185Damiani

Hi Jeff,
I flew the crap out of this plane and had a blast with it. The elevator is very touchy as it is on any WWII bird because of the short tail moment. I took care of the problem by using 1/2" up and down elevator travel on low rates. If you have exponential that will help tame the airplane. It is a common issue with short birds. and as I said I had 12 oz. of nose weight between a higley Heavy Hub and 10 oz. of stick on weight glued into the very front of the cowl lip. Mine weighed in at 5.5 lbs which is a perfectly acceptable weight for a .40 size airplane. My Corsair and P-40 all have very small amounts of elevator throw for the same reasons. These are the TF birds. tame down the elevator and you'll enjoy the model
Good luck
Mike
Old 05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been eyeing the ones (CMP .40 size P-47s) at that famous auction site, I like the fact that it has an advertised (max) weight of 2600 gr ( 92 oz, or 5 lb, 12 oz) AND has flaps. The combo should make a warbird that can get out of and back into some tight places (small runways/ flying areas).

What I am seeing here tho is a wide range of weights:
3.2 kg ( slightly over 7 lbs) with 'needed' nose weight
6.2 lbs with 3/4 lb nose weight
5.5 lbs with needed nose weight
Unknown weight with no nose weight needed (Enya 1.20 for power)

Any and all discussion on weight would be appreciated. If it appears that they can be built and properly balanced at about 6 lbs (or less), then I will have to get ones of these. I usually find ways to keep things light. If a heavy engine is needed, I have a YS .53 which should work pretty well (about 18 oz with muffler). If the weight is not needed, I have a lighter Saito .56

Old 05-09-2005, 12:50 PM
greenbaron

Hi, Jeff

I have built and flown several CMP warbirds, and this is what I found:

P-51 90 size, with OS 90 FS. Very good flyer, a litle bit underpowered.
p-47, 90-120 size, with OS 61. I had two different models, the silver coated very stable, not so the grey/green couloured. Never found the reason for the difference !
FW 190, OS 120 FS. Needed a lot of ballast in the nose, but one of the best airplanes I never had! I missed it, but I have a NIB one.
Zero 120 size, OS 1.08. More ballast in the nose, but fantastic flyer. More than 100 flies on their wings, I had to swith back to fixed gear because my rough grass field.
P-51, 40 size, OS46. I had to reduce elevator travel, still tricky to land, stalls easily on final.
Zero, 40 size, OS 46. Same as P-51 40, best stall characteristics.

As a general rule, I would say that 120 size birds fly nicely, not so the smaller size.

Regards

Greenbaron
Old 05-14-2005, 05:27 PM
jeffk464

Ok, just got back from the field today and added another 20 minutes of flight time to my p47. I think I have gotten it as good as its going to get. It is now fairly stable and predictable in normal flight, I can make it look like a good flier unless I try doing any aerobatics. When the engine is cut back to idle it flies about as well as a brick with butterfly wings attached to it. With my engine/muffler set up the plane is pretty slow, I would recommend putting a larger engine than the recommended 40 size since nose weight is required anyways. The larger engine would help in two ways, more power and a larger prop that would stick out past the cowling more than my 11x6 prop does. Anyways I just wanted to revise my previous review I dont think this plane is a terrible flyer anymore, just very mediocre.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:46 AM
virtualvictum

Hi guys, thought I'd chime in as well. I also had the 4o size P-47 from cmp. The plane was flown with an os 46ax and stock muffler. On the maiden the plane flew ok with minor trim changes. The elevator IS very sensitive as described above. If your not careful you will stall on landing in a heartbeat. My first landing ended up sliding on the grass strip about 5 feet on the bottom of the cowl. No damage but it was a little embarassing. The plane was slow with the 46ax. Had to fly at 3/4 throttle to maintain decent speed and keep the speed through the turns. Roll rate with full aileron deflection was not incredibly fast but that was also due to the speed she was flying at. Landings were decent but it does come in a little fast. I also have and fly the cmp 70" hellcat and it flys great. OS 160 fx in it for power and mas 16x10 3 blade prop pulling her along. She will pull out of anything stupid I do. She lands very slow with the flaps deployed, slower than the p-47 40. I also have the 71" Zero with f.p.e 2.4 gasser in the nose as well as the fw-190 with another f.p.e. 2.4 in it as well. These bigger planes are so much fun to fly and easy to land. The smaller size just does not do there bigger brothers justice. I am building the 55" smaller zero right now. I am using a gms 61 and bisson pitts for power. Based on how the p-47 flies with the 46ax this should move the little zero around quite nicely. I lost my p-47 on the 3rd flight. The plane just violently rolled to the left and into the field. I think I was shot down but no one will admit to it. Oh well that just freed up a 46ax for something else. Good luck with your little planes.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:13 AM
BDREW

I have a CMP P47. I love it. I have a O.S.91fx in it. You need a lot of expo and reduce rates. I also installed Hobbico retracts. FOr the money, this plane is nice.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:04 PM
jeffk464

Could lord man, a 91fx in a 40 size airplane. I bet you could rip the wings off it at full throttle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.