Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

ORIGINAL: proulxlaw

Richard: I noticed that you posted a pic of what looked like the kmp spit. Did you get yours yet?
I borrowed that pic of the KMP Spit from the UK forum just to illustrate that there are no aileron servos sticking out. I did not order one because I was thinking about picking one up from the [link=http://www.nwhobbyexpo.com/]Northwest Hobby Expo[/link], February 3rd - 5th. I might even wait until all the bugs are worked out on the initial release.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:03 AM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I am also going to wait to see what problems develop on both the Spit and the 109 before I decide to buy. Like some of CMP's planes, most of them look good but alot of them fly like turkeys.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:41 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am hurt (only joking)

right gentlemen a few fact about our birds, that may be differant to kits of sim size,

WE design them, WE test fly prototypes,in the UK, we evaluate as much as we can, believe me, this costs a fortune, all our birds fly like the thoroughbred they represent
so, to asume some of ours fly like turkeys, for the sole reason they are of similar size to another firms aircraft, is a false asumption (and the size is ALL they have in common)
yes, we have a couple of bugs, but, the factory has already been told, and the next batch now in build, will be A-OK,
look on r/cflyers, everything is down in black and white, nothing is hidden, quite the opposite, we welcome fault finding, makes us better, (and we act on them quickly,) certainly, the few faults found would not make ME wait

BESIDES, IF YOU WAIT--YOU WILL HAVE TO SAVE ALL OVER AGAIN, because i know whats coming

hope you guys enjoy the spit, we have worked long and hard on it
Old 01-19-2006, 12:32 PM
SpitfireMKI
My Feedback: (2)

I just picked mine up, very much like the Hurricane. Though I was disappointed to find there were no oleo struts included, I thought some one posted saying they were included ? could be wrong.

Anyway, seeing as I did not have to build it, it really is nice, behold ! a MkXIV, sleek and sexy !

The cowl looks like it will work with the longshaft Ryobi (I hope) , the shortshaft I have is going in the hurri. Speaking of the cowl, it'll need some tweaking to fit right at the fuse.

Finally ! A Spit ARF with intake and radiator scoops ! The lines look believeable, glass is a little heavy but the finish is good.

I'll most likely be doing a 91 squadron plane with D-Day stripes, I plan to paint my own codes and roundels and then weather the bugger.

Spring is looking like fun !

S1
Old 01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
alanc

dont know about your country but, in the uk, we have some locally made struts (oleos over here)
and the spinner, struts, retracts, have ALWAYS been offered as an option, GEEZE we even offer the PAINT as an option to addd these to the kit would put another £40 stirling on the kit, so, we thought the option thing would be better

heavy glass????????? comments from club mates when i took it too club night, was how light it is! hmm
Old 01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
drifter
My Feedback: (53)

Oriole,
Are you the guy who bought the one from Burtonsville Hobby City?

ORIGINAL: oriole

C'mon, C'mon.... enough about CMP and Zeros.

Anybody in the states have the KMP Spitfire. Anybody building one. If so, give us an update o f the quality, assembly and pictures would be nice. Preferrably the painted version, but I'm not picky.

Oriole
Old 01-19-2006, 04:37 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Please don't misunderstand my comments. They were not meant to create the inference that I have doubts about your product. I simply tend to be the kind of person that doesn't buy the latest greatest thing until others have tried it first and the feedback is positive.

I applaud and appreciate your statement that you spend extraordinary time, money and effort to test and improve your products whenever possible. Other manufacturers do not share your thoroughness in preparing their product for sale, all to the detriment of the consumer.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:38 PM
SpitfireMKI

alanc,

I work in the UAV business and have done quite a bit of composite work, yeah, it's heavy. You guys meeting down the pub ? Maybe a pint or two and it gets lighter ? [sm=lol.gif] or just might be the guy who did the layup got carried away, I don't know, but what's a little extra weight........

I figure I'll wait on struts, I got some Robarts for my Hurri and I'm not thrilled with the amount of play in the retracts. So I'm not sure if I'll replace the whole set or not. I'm not looking to go all out, the spit and the hurri are really just going to be kind of afternoon beaters. The weekends are for my big birds when I've got the time to haul them out.

It is an excellent ARF model of a Spitfire, seeing how everything up to this date has been really crappy or ugly or lousy flyers. I have a Yellow under construction and it is not an ARF by any means. With $$$$$ invested in that plane, you want to take your time and build it right anyway. Wish there was more interest in Spits and their parts over here in Yankville, plenty of mustangs though Does anyone know if KMP is offering optional parts ?

Drifter,

Yes I got mine through Hobby City, hope I've not done anything wrong [:-] I've had it on order since way back in the spring/summer of last year when it was announced.

I need to get the rest of my wacker parts and we'll be on the road to getting it in the air. Scheme will be Jean Maridor's DL-F in which he was killed.

I think you will be pleased with what you get.

S1
Old 01-20-2006, 12:26 AM
AKondor

HI Everyone:

I'm very pleased to hear that everyone is truely enthusiatic about the Spit. Our friends at YT overseas deserve a true round of applause for all their efforts that went into this model. For those wondering about the spare parts, KMP does does usually stock some basic items. If required we will open a new kit and send out a part from it.

Stay tuned for some other new releases coming in the Spring. These new releases inlcude one new WWII Twin (all glass including the wings) and a civilian single that will be available in two versions. By this fall we will have at least two new WWII planes (singles)also with glass wings as well!!

Thats all we can say for now so stay tuned!

Regards,
Andrew
KMP
Old 01-20-2006, 06:43 AM
SpitfireMKI

Andrew,

Any plans for a 80"+ single engine fighter ? A blown up version of the Hurri would be nice !

S1
Old 01-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Phantom pty

Andrew

I congradulate you for your efforts on making ARF Kits on these great WWII fighters. Most ARF manufacturers concentrate their efforts on the P-51 s and P-47 s which are great !!! BUT!!!
It was about time sombeody decided to develope and release TOP quality ARF Warbirds models like SPITFIRE, Me 109, P 38 and
B-25... Hope you keep them comming [sm=thumbup.gif]

As they say in this hobby "The Bigger the Better" rule does apply [>:]...!!

Would be great to see other great models like the Gruman F8F Rarebear and the F7F Tighercat in your lineup...!!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:13 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

[quote]ORIGINAL: AKondor

HI Everyone:

I'm very pleased to hear that everyone is truely enthusiatic about the Spit. Our friends at YT overseas deserve a true round of applause for all their efforts that went into this model. For those wondering about the spare parts, KMP does does usually stock some basic items. If required we will open a new kit and send out a part from it.

Andrew,

Will you be carrying a spinner for the SPIT or offer a kit/spinner combo price?

Oriole
Old 01-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Kmot

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Phantom pty

Would be great to see other great models like the Gruman F8F Rarebear and the F7F Tighercat in your lineup...!!
Andrew Kondor just announced it in the Twin forum. A new F7F all composite ARF.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andrew,
Does the Spit come with the new generation 3 retracts with oleo struts?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 01-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Beechbum
My Feedback: (11)

Just wanted to ask for the best place to purchase this model. Is there a source in the states, or is KMP up in Canada the best bet? I did send an e-mail to KMP re shipping, and recieved a very prompt and friendly reply. I would not have a problem doing business with them, just wondering if there is something closer to central California. You know, maybe I could get it faster!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:43 PM
lynn1130
My Feedback: (10)

Alanc,
What "bugs" ? Are these "bugs" in the Spit or in one of the other models? I just ordered the Spitfire after kicking around waiting until the next batch came out. Should I have waited?

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:45 PM
AKondor

HI:
First, I would love to take all the credit for the development of planes such as the Spit and Me 109 BUT I must say that without the "partnership" with my colleagues from YT, many of these kinds of offerings would not be possible. Without them we would not be able to continually offer such consistent high quality WWII planes. They have a very large part in the development and testing of the models before they are manufactured... so I can't say enough about their cooperation and how much we respect their expertise and efforts.

Yes, the spit and all future models do come wih the generation 3 or "G3" gear. We also have had great success working with Robart for those who wanted to add scale reaslism using their struts.

Our models can be purchased through your local dealer and we will set them up if they are not allready a dealer for our line. If there is nobody near by then certainly we can fix you up. Just so you know, we do have our main warehouse in Orlando Florida so to all our US customers we only ship from the US and NOT Canada. We only have our sales staff up there (here)

Cheers,
Andrew[8D]
KMP
Old 01-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andrew,
So are you saying the Spit retracts do not come with oleos?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 01-21-2006, 07:26 AM
SpitfireMKI

Mine did not
Old 01-21-2006, 07:45 AM
alanc

dont know about youe side of the pond, but in the uk, the struts, spinner, and retracts are optional, on the basic price, in the U.S. i think the normal thing is to include the retract in the psice, but, to my knowledge, the struts, and spinner have never been mentioned as being part of the total package by me, or andrew kondor, perhaps they could, then, you will get what we have been getting, that si, simply, give me a price of rthe base kit, or the base kit with this, or that, hence, our descision to offer everything as options, the spinner is 4/12 diameter, and i have advised andrew where we got ours from, and, if i can figure out how to up-load a pic on here, i will show you the base model, built, with a LITTLE weathering, of r/cflyer, or, just go look!
ALAN C
Old 01-21-2006, 10:49 AM
SpitfireMKI

I was thinking a good compromise would be the cheezy Robart plastic lookey-likey strut covers. It seems to me the smaller planes do not benefit from the oleo action as a larger model does.

Andrew said they're working on getting a spinner as an option, I guess I'll go the P-51 route till they are available.

S1
Old 01-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Richard L.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HogCrewChief

So are you saying the Spit retracts do not come with oleos?
It would be a piece of cake to install a pair of Robart RoboStruts.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:33 PM
drifter

For those who can't get enough info about this Spitfire, the site that Alanc keeps referring to has a 19 page thread going.
It's at this address:[link=http://www.ytinternational.co.uk/]ytinternational[/link]

Click on the "Link"s in the left column. After that select RC Model Flyers. Go to the YT International forum.

Here's a pic from that site:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27879.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	392274  
Old 01-21-2006, 06:08 PM
alanc

thanks for that, havnt had time to figure out all the computertrikkery to put a pic on here, would be nice of you could put the one on of young stuart, holding his spit, nose down, this gives a good view of the spinner we can supply in the uk, and which, i would think, is the one kondor will source, this is kniverlflyers spit build, for son stuart its straight-out-the -box, only thing martin has done, is given the existing paint job a little dirtying up--looks good, doesnt it?

the builds are there, warts and all, go look, and enjoy, any questions, feel free, the threads will also allay the guys on here, who are a little worried about my comment about problems found, believe me, easily rectified, no real problem at all
Old 01-21-2006, 06:46 PM
drifter

Here's the pic Alanc referred to above.

BTW: The thread is up to 20 pages, and now includes a spinner making demonstration.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15184.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	392302  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.