Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

No offense taken! Prop is actually scale in outline for a spit of this mark and mounted correctly. Engine was broken in with the recommended 20X10 nylon (2 blade) prop and then tested with the 4 blader, in this orientation, to dial in correct rpm. I chose 4800 max RPM as to take into account the prop will unload in a dive achieving the max recommended RPM of 5,500. My pitch is around 11 on the 18 inch 4 blade prop. The blades are light weight and each blade is individually replaceable ~ cost is the same for a two blade and is pre balanced from the factory. Agreed regarding the maiden, I do plan to test fly with the recommended 20 X 10 for the first go but then to fly with the 4 blade. Sadly the flying season is over her in Michigan as winter has really settled in. So, I'll continue to work on her and prepare for the spring testing.

For the taxi issue: I plan an obscene amount of up elevator for taxi only, however. In my experience this helps a lot, but you have to remember it's just for taxi.......Not for flying!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:04 PM
DVM100

ORIGINAL: Aluminum Overcast

Thanks for the input DVM100 Have you had to add any weight to the front for balance? I'm in the process of building one of these with the 120SP. I have a retractable tail wheel with gear doors and pull pull for the rudder as well as a hidden control horn in the fuse for elevator actuation. I have moved all the heavy servo's forward as much as possible but I know these planes are tail heavy. I'm hoping with all the previous plus a 4 blade articulating pitch prop (center hub is pretty heavy) I won't have to add any dead weight up front.

Hey O'cast, that's a VERY impressive setup man! I think the advice about the prop for your initial flights is good advice - you don't want to ruin a great prop until you get used to her. I put 300g of lead in mine, but after putting the scale exhaust and adding an electric fan with 2 x 2000mAh battery pack under the cowl, I have taken that lead out. Whatever you do, she will fly better being a bit on the heavy side, than lightweight...so if uyou have to add lead, so be it. Congratualtions on a lovely looking Spit and all the best for her maiden. Dave
Old 11-24-2007, 11:19 PM
transatlanticflight

Aluminum,

Let us know how the solo prop works out. I've had my eye on one for a while, wondering how much power is required to turn it, what the performance is like and how smoothly it runs. Would be great to throw a 5 blade on with live exhaust, but I think the KMP/ESM spit can also double for a mk IV if i'm not mistaken?

I'm looking at the newly available Saito 4 stroke gasser 36cc as a powerplant choice. I like the concept of the RCV but still tired of wiping down planes. Hoping to construct a drive reduction unit so that it could be mounted upright.

I also was wondering when someone would get keleo to make an exhaust for the kmp Spit. That combo you've got is half way to my big dream...NO LEAD. Now, just make it water-cooled, gas-powered, and add a supercharger that draws cool air from the scale carb intake and I'd be in heaven!! LOL

Thanks for sharing your pics and look forward to the maiden report.

Rick
Old 11-25-2007, 03:05 AM
nini

Hello Dave,
Can you tell me, or show me what you've done with the fan in your cowl.[&o][&o]
I've always some overheating problems past 10min, and i wonder if you'll not have the solution.....

Christophe
Old 11-25-2007, 03:28 AM
DVM100

G'day Christophe! No worries mate, I'll take some photos and post them a bit later. Just cooking dinner at the moment. Dave

Tell you what, I just looked at her and she's all bolted up and hanging in the garage so I won't take her down. I'll explain what I did instead.

I've cut the cowl along panel lines so the chin comes away. I've also cut along the panel line on the port side through the ehaust manifold area. The cowl is screwed together using hex drive dome head screws with ply reinforcement behind on both sides.

On the starboard side of the cowl just aft of the spinner backplate I have mounted a small electric fan which is driven by 2 x 2000mAh batteries. The batteries are mounted under my engine box, with a switch harness and a charge plug. With the chin off the cowl I can get at the charge plug. With the chin fitted I can get at the switch.

The fan is mounted on a small box to get it away from the side of the cowl and mounted at 90 degrees to the thrust line. This way it blows cooling air over the engine vanes of the RCV 120SP. I have drilled a small hole in the cowl moulding which you can see on the starboard side - this acts as a venturi for the fan.

With the Keleo exhausts most of the heat is drawn out through the manifold cutaway area. I have also mounted the cowl on small ply blocks at the rear where it fixes to the fuze - thsi gives more room for air to flow out the back of the cowl.

Hey, presto!

Dave
Old 11-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Thanks Dave. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress of the build. Things are moving along but I have not had time to really focus just on this project. Work has been just crazy these past two years or so, so the building aspect of this hobby has taken a back seat just to flying. unfortunatly, my old stand by is way overdue for replacement; .45 sized EZ Zero with saito .56 with over 800 hrs of flight time! You can see a few pre oleos and added detail pix of her on my profile page . Very fast, however, it's all oil soaked now including the frame (smoke oil and 30% nitro do that) and weighs 8.5 lb. so I have a good bit of experience flying a brick. She has no flaps so landings are just low fast passes where the wheels touch ground and I cut throttle. Like all arfs the mounting for the wheels are the weak spot so, with the necessary speed to prevent tip stalling, small wheels and a fairly rough field life can be interesting keeping her going. Still, I love flying her........tracks so great in formation with my buddies....mmmmmm....what a challenge! The Spit will be a good replacement I think... long overdue however.......
Old 11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Well, got a chance to work on the Spit a bit last night. Made a mold for the exhaust header and began the wax plugs used for a lost wax process to make a scale but functional exhaust stack. here are a few pix.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45455.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	813473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19768.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	813474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99732.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	813475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15100.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	813476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17130.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	813477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul80283.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	813478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac62138.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	813479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ba90109.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	813480  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji77557.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	813481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl60537.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	813482  
Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 PM
DVM100

absolutely beautiful craftsmanship!!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM
dejavu614

Does anyone know were I can still get the KMP Spitfire. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

Mike
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
spitfire mk.xiv

ORIGINAL: dejavu614

Does anyone know were I can still get the KMP Spitfire. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike, try this; http://www.kmp.ca/index.php?cPath=22...a7d45ceab77fe7 [8D]
Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
CAPT John
My Feedback: (15)

Speeds Hobby Center still had one recently. You can reach them at (859) 402-2277 or [email protected].
Old 11-28-2007, 07:52 PM
transatlanticflight

Aluminum,

Very nice work. Still, I'm wondering how you will make this exhaust "functional." The way those stacks are nesting it looks as if the outlet pipe is so thin it will create a real challenge to hollow them out. Look forward to seeing the finished product...I'm sure you have a plan, judging from your other pics.

Does anyone make a good ready-made cast or cnc'd 1/6 scale exhaust....anybody?

Looking good,

Rick
Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Try this

[link]http://www.keleo-creations.com/[/link]

Shane
Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Aluminum Overcast

Stay tuned for more pix. I should get a chance to work it again this weekend or so. In short though, the red exhaust is simply the core which will be used in the female mold and sandwiched in between that and an upper male mold (Still to be made). Then after the resin and nomex cloth veil have cured, mild heating of the mold will melt the wax out leaving a hollow where it was during the curing of the stack. these stacks will be molded into an expansion box coming from the engine.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
bla bla

You guys, I tell you.
You spend millions on scale solo props and Keleo mufflers... pimping-up what? A sport scale(ish) model.
It's not even scale for heavans sake. It's 'ish! With a "Sports" term thrown in. Thats...well just horrible.
Why don't you spend you energy building one that is at least OK... as in: It's reasonable scale.
Why bother with the muffler... when the canopy isn't even close?
Nice prop. Shame about the plane.
I can't help wondering if all this involvement... dedication, time and money not to mention what can only ammount to a real genuine comitment to do some serious scale stuff...
wouldn't be better spent on a real scale model.

It'd mean you'd have to give up the pimping though.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:40 PM
alanc

you are of coarse correct, its sport scale, but, its a damned site better than many can build, we bring dreams to life for a lot of guys who have either no time or skill to build from sticks, and get in the air with their dream, dont knock it[8D]
Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Actually it's going to be my everyday aircraft to fly with my formation group as my other has finally worn out after 800hrs of time on my little zero and Saito .56 combination! I have a Ziroli p40 on the bench as well as a 80" zero with radial 4 stroke, both will have solo props as well...... Are you telling me that these techniques wouldn't come in handy or be of interest to the "Absolute Scale" builder such as yourself??? Right. Experienced builder and flyer build arfs too "buddy."
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 PM
transatlanticflight

Bla-Bla,

Living up to your moniker as usual! I've always wondered about the psychology behind the ranters of RCU...like a bunch of old hens that can't lay. KMP/YT fits the bill - a nice looking plane that you can get in the air and still have a life. Plus "pimping," as you call it, is an art form all it's own...a re-engineer, if you will...fun, without the resin dust in your lungs. But C'est la vie! To each his own! I can appreciate all the aspects of the hobby. Top Gun to Park Flyer RTF. If you've got a plane MFG that offers ANYTHING close in a 1/6 scale-ish ARF ('cause I've been lookin')...I'm all ears...I think we're ALL "all ears." No argument...it's sport scale...but damn nice sport scale. Count the number of YT/KMP threads and look at the page counts...speaks volumes.

Respectfully,

Rick
Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 PM
transatlanticflight

By the way, Bla-Bla...what brings YOU to the KMP/YT threads?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I concur with AlanC, who are you judging other people's hobby?

Has it crossed your mind that to "normal" people spending a fortune to make a perfect small copy of a real plane seams nuts?

I am NOT knocking off "real scale" but leave others to their fun! capish? you look very narrow minded to me [:'(]LOL

Vasek

ORIGINAL: alanc

we bring dreams to life for a lot of guys who have either no time or skill to build from sticks, and get in the air with their dream, dont knock it[8D]
Old 11-30-2007, 08:07 AM
bla bla

You die hard RC Pimpers in the 'hood.
You've go to laugh at that "Pimp My Ride" TV show where the gansters are takin' a rotten old car and decorating it with SERIOUS money/accessories.
The result? A rotten old car dressed up to not only look expensive... but acctually is expensive! Which is strange.... Why not just buy an expessive car?
Pimp if you must bro'.
Respect.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:21 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

You'll grow out of puberty (someday you'll Pimp your way out of it) don't worry LMAO
Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Aluminum Overcast

If you look at that guys posting history he does this in every forum he posts in. That says it all. I guess I'd rather be a Pimp a than a forum troll. I won't be responding to any more Bla Bla because it's just that...... Plus I have better things to do!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:23 PM
transatlanticflight

Parting shot: Pimpin' a Toyota 'cause you can't afford a Ferrari (agreeably pathetic) is closer to stick-building a scale toy Spitfire 'cause you can't affford the full size...much closer than, say, buying and flying a toy (and having fun with said toy) because, afterall, you fundamentally understand that a toy plane...is a toy.

Cheers ALL!

Ol' St. Nick

ps. Pimp my Sleigh
Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 PM
DVM100

It seems the village is without it's most important person...bla bla bla....

I would think the moderators of this fine forum would baaaaaaaa people like him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.