Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1314

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

we had the pintle angle changed, (whats a pintle?) so i am told, does this mean a better ground handling machine i asked?
    yes, i was told, so let me know guys, will you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alanc-

Wow, I can't wait to tell the guys my pintle angle is improved!!

Thanks again for all your help...I'll let you know after the winter thaw how my pintle angle is performing.
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it apears that all the info you need is actually IN the manual, the factory have added it as an amendment, but left the ols stuff there[>:] we will mending the manual, and it will be available to be a download on our website, in about 10 days time,

Canberra , Australian Capital Territory, AUSTRALIA
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone else found the aluminium tube for the two piece horizontal stab is TWO inches too long?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Amongst other things, yes it is 2 inches to long, discovered once it was covered in epoxy.
    i have put a build report on http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forum/f...N/5929/V/6/SP/
    Hope you have not having the problems I am having
    I used to land in English cow poo, now I land in Camel poo. Plane still smells the same though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks djay, I think I'm managing to keep ahead of the game a bit. I must say I'm disappointed in the standard of the manual! This is my second kit and despite the obvious upgrades to things like getting rid of the annoying pushrods, the manual is NOT very good at all. I'm building this kit purley from experience and the information published here and on the YT website. Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HEY there guys. I just picked MY Spitfire up from AUSTARS, in sydney And BOY o its a great model Im almost too scared to touch it, It would defiantly look the part in my Hanger
    I would like to thank Glen from austars who made my experience a pleasure and since i had good service i also bought there 42 % Edge...now i have to decide which one to put togethor

I will be oing a build thread on here so would be good to start off with some pics....
    Pics to follow cheers guys
    DA HAS THE POWER

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Excellent!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If Andrew Kondor is reading this I have to say I'm NOT impressed that this new kit does not have any cabling for the pull pull on the rudder nor the elevator! I had to go out an buy my own.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How is it Andrews fault? he is only an importer, your complaint should go to your importer austars i have the same system in my corsair, ( by the way, the pull pull system is something we have been trying for for an age, ) i have the wires supplied, perhaps they have just been missed out the box?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alan, you are absolutely correct. I'm just a bit frustrated with this kit. The first edition was much easier to put together. Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, first, we had the hurri, used exactly the same configuration in the spit, one piece tail, slid into a slot in the fuzz, same with the 109,
    We, at YT, always used an elevator joiner, with a carbon central pushrod and always sought one for future models, a couple of guys on the brit forum, R/CFLYERS, came up with the joiner, with cable drive, this was seen as the way forward,
    FINALLY the factory finally came up with one, and released this with the corsair, then the mustang, now, they have incorparated it into the spit, this system NEEDS separate tail halves, the instruction manual needs up grading, but, we are coming up with SO many ideas, the factory cannot keep up with us so manual ammendments have to be incorparated, just dry assemble, and go for it!!! its still the best flying spit out there, with the best scale looks,

one thing i have been asked, WHY all the upgrades well, simple, we are never happy, we like progress, its what we do,
    have a great new year, dont get sunburnt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Alan,
    just to let you know, I finally completed my spitfire, after junking all the hardware and instruction booklet.
    First 2 flights were OK, nothing special, it flew, which came as a suprise after the trouble I had building it.
    But on the 3rd flight, just after takeoff, the engine seperated from the fuselage in the air and the plane crashed.
    Upon investigation it appears that the fibreglass fuse I have is nothing more then a shell of gelcoat. the fibregalss mat has no resin in it, it is just soft dry mat/tissue with a thin layer of resin on the inside. The power of the RCV 130 just ripped the nose right off with the firewall, which is only glued to the fibreglass in the very centre only with a thick layer of hard glue which has not penetrated the fibreglass either.
    Due to the fibreglass mat having no resin impregnated into it, there is nothing solid to reglue the firewall back into place to repair the fuse,as it is all floppy with no shape, or anything solid, therefore £600 worth of aircraft is now scrap.

You might want to investigate as it will happen to others I am sure.
    The fuse from the cowling rearwards escaped unharmed as there was no real weight there, and the wing took the brunt of the false landing, which split in two as well.

All the best
    Darryl
    I used to land in English cow poo, now I land in Camel poo. Plane still smells the same though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

terribly sorry about this, do you have any pictures? we have had no issues with the new composites fuzzes,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

will try and get some pics later once i sort out the wreckage from the sand

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PICS PICS, AND MORE PICS PLEASE cant imagine whats happened with yours, email me the pictures and we will have a good look at them, i need close ups of the area where the bulkhead sits etc, as for your other comments, re hardware, and manual, well, some hardware will never satisfy, indeed, i swap some for my favorite stuff and not just on our models, other makes too, but generally, our display team uses most of the supplied gear, and it has been no bother, as for the manual, well, it is in re-write, but all the amendments where there, send me the pics, soon as you can, thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Alan.
    I measured the thickness of the fuse aft of the bulkhead, and it goes from 0.6mm to 0.9mm thickness, which is one thin layer of glass cloth, with no resin in it.
    The fuse below and behind the bulkhead, the step part, is 1.5mm thick.
    The torque of the engine just tore it apart.
    The hardware was not a case of satisfying me, it was a case of it was such sub standard quality, I could not use it, collets with no thread, collets that stripped the thread when you tried to tighten up the grub screws, 3mm pushrods with 2mm clevises, etc.
    Hopefully you will sort it mall out for the future models.
    I wouls actually like to get another Spitfire, but I can not afford another one now, as it was a nice looking plane, and flew reasonabbly well, bearing in mind I did not have time to trim it out or run the engine in.
    For those of you interested, i made my cannons from the shaft of number 8 pencil brushes, painted matt black. I then inserted a lenght of 1/4" brass tube into the wing l/e, turned down the end of the cannon shaft to fit inside the tube, then I got the small aluminium collets that came with the retracts to fit over the air line and inserted them into the brass tube with epoxy. I then cut the head of a bolt and glued it into the end of the cannon, which then was inserted into the tube and screwd into position, then when storing the wing they were just unscrewed and put into the flight box for storage, this way they did not get knocked or broken., and they survived the crash.

Darryl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day djay, very sorry to hear about your Spit. I'd love some pics of yr cannons if you can? Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Djay-
    I am building this plane and I would also be interested in seeing pictures of your fuse when they are available. I still can reinforce mine if necessary. Sorry you lost such a nice plane. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
    Tim
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

some pics of the firewall, if they upload successfully.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38410.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	1103848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47885.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	1103849  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and the fuse.

Name:	Lj21931.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	1103851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vr53300.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1103852  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A pic of the cannons, post crash .
    The cannon is a pencil brush handle.
    The air line fittings are threaded inside, and a screw that fits these is cut down and glued in the end of the cannon base.
    the brass tube is 1/4" dia and the threaded fittings are glued inside these. Run the brass tube around the base of the cannon to cut the wood to size so it goes inside the tube.
    then the tube is glued in the wing L/E and the cannons are just screwed into them when required
    Hope this is of some help tp you

Darryl

Name:	Vs55532.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	1103856  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

!@#*%![:'(]
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Djay- Thanks for the photos. That mat does look very dry...like it wasn't impregnated well while it was being layed up in the mold. In your first several flights did you have any noseovers that may have weakened the nose? I now want to reinforce mine particularly in the event of noseovers. Your cannon mounts have given me an idea about screw mounting mine so I can remove them when finished flying. Again thanks for the photos.

Alanc- Based on what you see with Djay's Spit do you think adding glass to this area would be sufficient or should wood or carbon fiber rod be used between the firewall and the first former?
    Tim
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi Tim.
    No noseovers, the aircraft tracks beautifully with no tendancy at all to nose over. The first flight was smooth with a greaser landing, full flaps, the second flight I forgot to retract the flaps and she took off fine, with another smooth landing.
    In an email to me YT say the fibreglass should be at least 3mm thick, mine is 0.6 to 0.9mm thick, which is basically just the gel coat, big difference.
    Anyway it is in the hands of YT now who are looking into it.

Darryl

Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast