Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1314

RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

I used clear silicone on mine like DVM100. I bumped mine the other day and the corner of the radiator just shattered like glass. This plastic is thin and brittle in some places. The first time I remove the radiators I may fiberglass them...anyone making these out of fiberglass?
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

I'm trying to figure out what size tank to put in my Spit. I am using the OS 120 AX. My engine manual recommends 350cc tank for 10-12 minutes flights. My OS 91 FX manual recommends a 450cc tank for 10-12 minute flights. Futaba customer service was no help. Just wonder what size tank you are flying and what kind of flight time you are getting? I know flight time depends on throttle position and I probably average about 3/4 throttle. I'm just trying to determine if this engine and plane is best with a 14oz or a 24oz tank. I'm pretty sure the recommended 350cc is not going to be enough.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would go with 16oz and you should be fine. You should only fly 5 min. On the first flight so check fuel usage after.
    Colorado-rc.com

Thanks for the input Pit-Viper. Actually I would like to hear from some guys who have the same setup in this plane. I really don't want to keep changing fuel tanks to upgrade /downgrade size if I don't have to. If noone has the OS 120 AX in this Spit then I will need to do as you suggested P-V. Thanks again.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used the stock tank in mine. I too run a 120 Ax but I run it very rich at 7900 rpm with a 16x8 Graupner It actually sounds like a 4stroke withe the stock muffler. I get about 8 minutes of flying time with a couple of oz of fuel to spare. But then again it is still very rich.

PS. Would heave fiberglass tape and thin cyano on the inside be enough to repair my cracked fuse or to I need to use something else?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some images of my engine instalation
    ...and the cracks on the fuse

So far due to some glass tape reinforsement and a ply plate to separate the powerbox from the rest of the fuse, the firewall seems ok and doesn't seem to be affected by the large hole for the muffler nor by the heat generated. I suppose only time will tell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh14684.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	1141351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf13805.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	1141352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg94296.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	1141353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wq42047.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	1141354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lx21593.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	1141355  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ct17180.jpg 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	1141356  

George-
    Thanks for the info. I am only getting about 6 minutes from a 380cc tank but maybe it will get better as the engine gets more time on it.

How did you get the crack in the bottom of your fuselage? I think I would repair it with fiberglass cloth from the inside. If the crack came from stress or vibration vs a belly landing I think I would spread the cloth the entire width of the bottom of your fuse on the inside.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That should be fine if its just cracked or pushed in slightly. I get small dimple shaped cracks from my stand. That's how I fix it and never had any problems.
    Colorado-rc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The fuse actually split open at the bottom and I have glued it together with thin cyano. I will but some fiberglass cloth in the inside. But do I use cyano or fiberglass resin?
    The rest of the cracks I put some thin cyano. They will be filled with putty, sanded and painted.
    The whole thing happened when I ground looped it on landing. It span 180 degrees and I could see the fuse bending. Even the tail wheel tire came out of the rim.
    I'm really worried about the whole fuse even though the damage only seems to be in the areas shown at the pictures.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've always used thin CA. Its lighter and it will give you a very solid bond, also very easy to and afterwards. Should be fine either way.
    Colorado-rc.com

George-

I have used CA and epoxy for fiberglass repairs. I like epoxy the best on larger repairs because it seems to stay a little more flexible for me. CA gets a little brittle at sometimes and I will only use it on a small field repair. They both work well and that is just my preference.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I test flew my Spit after rebuilding it with the new fuse.

I had a hard landing, but not enough to really affect any normal aircraft and it has caused considerable damage to the fuselage and wing.
    bearing in mind this has oleos, it has cracked the fuse all over, the gel coat has just shattered in places and come away from the non resined fibregalss mat of the fuselage, loads of small broken off pieces all over.
    the firewall has come loose from the fuse, but the fuse has not given way, it is still whole. The ply firewall has just detached from the fuse as there is practically no glue holding it in place. So the shock of the engine weight has broken the glue joints.
    The wing has split in half, the wooden ribs have actually broken apart, not the glue joints, and the ply wing joiners have broken apart. gear mounts appear OK. Both plastic rad scoops have just fallen apart, which they did when new and being cut out.
    So I think I am going to have to write of the money spent on this, and bin it once and for all. You learn from your mistakes.
    I think I will by the Mick Reeves spit or similar and build it , so at least I know it will be built properley.
    Good luck on yours guys

Darryl
    I used to land in English cow poo, now I land in Camel poo. Plane still smells the same though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear about your spit djay.
    I think I'll go with CA and glass tape to repair mine.
    Thank you both tevans and viper for your input

I haven't heard of any such problems with the fuse of the early version of the spitfire. Have they made the recent one lighter to save us from nose weight in expense of structural integrity? .....just wondering.

djay-

I'm really sorry about your experience with this plane. Your info has been very helpful to me concerning how fragile this plane appears to be. I made some modifications as a result of your experience. Thanks again.

Tim
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Canberra , Australian Capital Territory, AUSTRALIA

I am truly sorry to hear about your Spit djay, but perhaps now there will be more reaction to my wing splitting after a normal landing. It seems there may be some issue with the quality of the wood used??

Just added a yt/kmp spitfire to my collection.
    Now have the fw190 and the spit.

Spit has a Saito120s
    Fw190 has an RCV-130cd

Just about to install the Mick Reeves 1/6 scale spit oleos. Cant wait to fly her.

Name:	Ki18924.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	1150164  
    Saito club member #586

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone had trouble with the kit provided motor mounts in the KMP Spitfire 1st edition?? Mine appear to be melting under the engine mount flanges, either from vibration, heat or both. Never had this trouble before with other models....model is about 1 1/2 years old...

Name:	Xv64607.jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	1156846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uq49753.jpg 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	1156847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr40770.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	1156848  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Too weird. It's as though the inside of the mount had not yet cured, and it oozed out of the bolt holes when the bolts were tightened. If you look really close in the second picture you can see the "Made in Japan" imprint from the engine casting....anyone have a set of leftover mounts?

Randy

Name:	Ge95851.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	1157058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xt60266.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	1157059  

Randy-
    I have a set of mounts left over from my Spit. Send me a PM and I will send them to you.
    Tim
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you Tim,

Andrew Kondor from KMP has offered to send a set and they should be here in a few days. Your offer is appreciated though.

Randy

I have a KMP Spitfire 1st edition and started out with a Saito 125 and Keleo custom exhaust.
    After 20 flights or so I had the same problem with the motor mounts melting..
    I guess the 125 got pretty hot while pulling the Spitfire around.

I threw them away and replaced them with an aluminium mount instead.
    Last season I replaced the 125 with a Saito 180 and I also installed the standard muffler instead of the Keleo system. (It did'nt fit the 180)
    I was'nt satisfied with the performance since the 1st edition of the Spitfire was a bit on the heavy side (mine is anyway) but with the 180 the Spitfire comes alive!

Regards,
    Lars

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the info!! I'm glad someone else out there has had this problem. Originally I bought and planned to use the aluminum mount for the Saito 125, but I also used some firewall mounted vibration dampeners from Apache Aviation in the UK, and the aluminium mount just wouldn't work with this arrangement.....but I have a 180.....now you have me thinking. The Spit is very scale-like (read sluggish) with the 125, but with the 180 I could get rid of that lead ballast....

Randy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DVM100

Maidened my Spit today. 25 degrees celcius, light winds (slight cross wind but nothing too much to handle). We have a synthetic grass strip and two taxi-ways so it was very nice to finally get the girl off the ground. Powered by an MLD 28cc gasser swinging a 17 x 6 APC - there was plenty of power for a smooth take off run. Climbed away and retracted the gear and did a few passes to check out any kinks. After about five minutes I brought her in to land - nice landing with no bounce! (Gee that synthetic grass is great to land on). After taxiiing back and switching off I gave her a once over and to my astonishment and dismay I noticed a 450mm crack along the upper surface of the port wing from the core to the outer edge of the aileron (running along where the main spar is - SEE ATTACHED PICS!) Not very impressed and I have asked my local importer to take it up with the manufacturer and I have asked for a replacement wing.

I had the exact same thing happen to mine but yours faired better. My left main tore out and punched a hole in the wing top after a soft slow landing. As soon as the weight settled on the mains it just collapsed and slid to a stop. I inspected the wing to find there was basically no glue inside! I had to wait a long time to get a replacement wing set that didnt come with the plastic parts or sticker sheets. Apparently they had a change of staff and my wings fell through the cracks, that was back in November, wings just arrived a couple of weeks ago and yes I did pay for them. After all the time Ive spent on this kit and even though the right thing to do was to relace the defective wings for free I decided to pay for the wing replacement in order to let this plane live.
    I bought 2 Spits and one Me 109 kit and I'm not impressed with any of them. I have flown one Spit once and the others are new unfinished. The Me is basically done waiting a final paint job the other Spit is NIB. Since the wings took so long I found another kit and traded a plane for it just for the wings. Then the new wings arrived.
    Now I'm nervous to fly the ME and I have reinforced the Spit wing for round 2. The ME wing supposedly has no issues. Its finished so I would have to take it apart to reinforce it.

In addition to the wing issue you should inspect the geometry of the plane and see if your wng saddle and horizontal stab are parallel. Ive fixed my Me 109, spotted the same problem in the Spit and in my friends FW190. Thats 3 kits with the same issue. Ive brought this up to Andrew's attention and sent all my photos to him to look over with the factory. According to the factory there is no problem...so why did I fix my kit and see this issue in the others?

Anyway all this serves to warn you guys interested in or owning these planes to go through and very carefully determine the construction quality and strength of your kit before you spend the time and money to finish it. I spent many hours and lots of money on my Spit and Me and now my confidense in these planes is low so when they fly it will be with clinched teeth and one squinty eye hoping nothing fails in flight.

Chris
    Like a midget in a urinal I knew I had to stay on my toes...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Was this a V1 or V2 Spit with invasion stripes? It seems that all the trouble with structural failures is happening with the V2 Spits. Scary, because
    I have one in the box in my garage. My old V1 Spit is as strong as a battleship. Just needs more rake on the gear.

Canberra , Australian Capital Territory, AUSTRALIA

Chris, sorry to hear about your trouble, but I am sort of glad someone else had the same problem. It seems that the V2 Spits are POORLY made. I haven't had the guts to fly mine after the wing repair....

Dave

Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast