Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1314

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Well mine is pre invasion stripes and my understanding is the Ver 2.0 is the invasion stripes. I was expecting striped wings when they arrived but they are the plain ones.
    Yeah its a bummer because I had lots of ideas and plans for the kits including an electric conversion to the other kit I have. I have the motor and ESC and batteries ready to go too.
    I added more rake to the gear on the new wing too. I already sheeted the wheel well with thin ply soI need to slap the wings together and go fly it. I wont do any paint work until I see this wing last one flight.

The basic set up
    Thunder Tiger 120 Pro 2 stroke inverted with onboard glow mixed to the TH channel and toggle switch.
    Slimline Pits style wrap around inverted exhaust
    JR 9303 TX with Spektrum and 9000 RX with dual remote ant's and data logger
    JR/Hitech servos all over
    Robart strut conversion with Robart wheels
    Full size scale pilot

I'll try to post some photos of the pre and post flight carnage.

Chris
    Like a midget in a urinal I knew I had to stay on my toes...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Before the maiden...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57728.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	1167208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34102.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	1167209  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

after the landing...

Name:	Rp43320.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	682.0 KB 
ID:	1167210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85728.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	710.8 KB 
ID:	1167211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo30295.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	809.5 KB 
ID:	1167212  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hummmm.... quality stuff those KMP's.
    You can see the attention to detail that's gone into the UC mount construction.
    If you can see past the Eye Candy finish, you understand why it's better to make it yourself.
    Sorry for the loss.
    Best Regards: davidbathe.com
    Occasional Aircraft Illustrations.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep, so on the new wing I used a whole bottle of thin CA glue to soak into the wood and strengthen up the light weight wood used. I'll go back and add more shear webbing as well. All this is done from the wing root and wheel well so its tough to see whats going on. At least the broken wing gives me an idea.

I did all the paint detail you see on top of the basic paint job the arf comes with. So needles to say I was a bit miffed when the gear poked through the wing! LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

Hummmm.... quality stuff those KMP's.
    You can see the attention to detail that's gone into the UC mount construction.
    If you can see past the Eye Candy finish, you understand why it's better to make it yourself.
    Sorry for the loss.
    To be honest, the finish ain't all that great either! I had the KMP Typhoon and was not overly impressed with any part of it. My Thunder Tiger Sea Fury ARF is a much better built and finished airplane, IMHO, and flies fantastic. However, the gear rails and retracts in the Sea Fury were as big a joke as those in most ARF kits so it still needed some work to be reliable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As you know, my first Mk 2 version fell apart, and the replacement fuse has started to split after one flight. I can not get a fibreglass repair kit for love or money out here in Dubai, so i will have to wait untill I visit the UK later this year to get one, and I can then try and repair the fuse to get it flying again.

Meanwhile, a fellow RCuniverser, who lives in Dubai, offered me his MK1 version, which he had started but not finished. so I brought it from him.
    It went together much better then the mk2. I had a set of springair retracts which slotted straight in. The u/c mounts were previously beefed up. Just need an engine for it to finish it off. I have a YS 110 which was earmarked to go into the spit, but I have fitted it to a Global Kwick fly to run it in, and am having so much fun with it, that there is no way that YS is coming out of it.
    The only other engine I have spare is an ASP 1.08 2 stroke, but this may be to powerful, and will not sound right.
    Once it is flying it will be interesting to compare the two, regards flying qualities and durability, so far 2 flights is the max I have got out of one fuselage.

Darryl
    I used to land in English cow poo, now I land in Camel poo. Plane still smells the same though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great you bring me hope, I have one more flight on mine then...hahaha!
    Well I too have another kit sitting in the box new if anyone is interested I would let it go for $300. I half way wonder If I should keep it for spares or a replacement kit but if there is an offer on the table I'll consider it. It was ear marked for an electric conversion but I'm not that motivated to do it.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I managed to repair my mk 2 fuselage and got the aircraft back together again. I finished off the Mk1 as well. I fitted an OS120 fs which I pulled from my TF Mentor as it was not powerfull enough for that.
    I went to the flying field yesterday to test fly them both.
    The Mk 1 went first, took off nicely, but went vertical and violently to the right, so had to trim it out. It flies ok, but, when I turn it, it turns very violently as if it is going to flick a wing and spin. any ideas why? C of G is spot on as per the book. The stall was violent as well, took it up high and it went into a spin when stalled, and took a long while to recover it.
    Landed ok, but the Springair retracts were not man enough for the job and bent, so new retracts required. Still it had a test flight and survived.

The Mk 2 was next, this took off ok, but struggled for height and started to go into a spin, so cut throttle retracted gear and landed it, with no damage. Post landing check revealed I had fitted the wrong prop, 16x8 instead of 15x8. So will try again next week with the correct prop, as I know this one did fly OK.

Any ideas on the bad turning of the Mk1 would be appreciated.

Darryl
    I used to land in English cow poo, now I land in Camel poo. Plane still smells the same though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

Djay, I have one of the earlier versions and can only comment on what a great flyer it is. It has very gentle stall characteristics, great slow flying stability and generally handles like the thoroughbred she is designed after.

So, there is something very major going wrong with your model. With your description of violent turning and flick spins etc. I can only imagine that one (Or more ?! ) control surfaces are glitching in flight. Have you done some radio checks to see if all your surfaces are working as they should ? Maybe an aileron is jamming or some other combination such as aileron/rudder ??

I would ask an experienced modeller to look at it and they should be able to sort something out for you.

Good luck,
    Merlin Man.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi Merlin Man.
    thanks for the reply, but I can guarantee there is nothing wrong with the flight controls or servos.
    unfortunatley I am one of the most experienced modeller at our field, so no one else can throw any light on it.
    The other YT spitfire I fly does fly like it is on rails, and this one is set up practically the same, which makes me wonder if it is the C of G that requires moving. At the moment it is as per the book,
    When I replace the gear with heavier duty items then I will fly it some more and see what happens, and maybe try different props and C of G positions.

Thanks for your input it all helps.
    Darryl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like the CG is too far back. Also double check your incidence angles and look at the horzintal stab to see if its parallel/level to the wing.
    Some basic geometry issues can cause the spins and irractic flight characteristics your describing.
    My wing saddle to hor.stab is off by quite a bit so it has a slightly different turning characteristic between left and right turns and up elevator inputs. I just didnt bother to fix it like I did the 109 which had the same issues.

Anyway make the plane a little more nose heavy so it recovers easier from spins plus check the basic layout and geometry one more time.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, it sounds like the CG is too far aft. One of the problems with the Series I Spits is that with the CG located for good flight performance, the model becomes prone to nosing over when on the ground. You need to cant the gear as far forward as possible using shims and also use tires with low rolling resistance. The included tires work fine..

Randy

Name:	Vt56448.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	1184069  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like most of you, I had to add a bunch of nose weight to my Spit to get the CG to the recommended location. It does have a pronounced tendency to over rotate on takeoff and requires a fair amount of up elevator to keep the tail down but be prepared to release the UP as soon as it breaks ground otherwise you may be looking at a tip stall. Adjusting the forward rake of the gear will help but that creates a retraction problem as the tires will no longer fit the well. It really is a matter of awarenesss while you are flying it. Airborne mine seems very smooth and performs all the typical "Warbird" maneuvers comfortably with a Webra 120 doing the hauling.
    I've only got three flights on it so far but will keep an eye out for some of the issues described here and report my findings if you'd like.

AEROSCALE

Name:	Ki17885.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	338.9 KB 
ID:	1184105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk29278.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	1184106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm24850.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	383.2 KB 
ID:	1184107  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes!! The Spit requires a lot of elevator input during acceleration, and then release it smoothly as the speed builds or you will be in the air much too soon....same on landing, you must add elevator during the rollout but too much too soon and you are back in the air...It is a challenging model that looks just great in the air. Two of us have them locally...we are both on our third season. It is not a sport plane by any stretch...

Aeroscale...it looks as though you have a series II with the invasion stripes, or did you paint it? I undersand that one of the changes to the II was to move the gear forward....

Randy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If the stripes make it a Series 2, that's what I have. I only added weathering.
    AEROSCALE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I have no problem with the take of, with either the mk1 or mk 2, both take off real easy, no tendancy to nose over at all on take off, or show any tendancy to stall if lifted off to soon. and landings are real easy, I have found these are no different to anything else I fly.
    On the mk 1 there is 2.1 lb of lead in the nose already, and it balances on the recommended C of G, but as you guys say, this is probably the first thing to check. The mk 2 has 1.7 lb of lead in the nose and flies nice. no vices at all.
    I brought the aircraft partially assembled, and the tail was already fitted, but it has a pre cut slot for the alignment, so will look at the wing seating, at the monment the wing is hard against the wing saddle, but the mk 2 has 2 seperate stab halfs which makes it easier to adjust the alignment when assembling.
    Level flight and up down are fine even large turns, but if I try to do a wing over at high speed it twitches badly.
    The gear I used was a springair set, and they were not man enough for the weight of the aircraft, fine for the test flight, so will have to get a new set before I fly again. as the wires bent on landing.
    Anyway I have changed the prop on the mk2 to the correct one,(another senior moment) and will fly it again at the weekend.
    Whilst waiting for the new gear I will paint up the mk1 as it does not come with any markings like the mk2 does.
    please do not take anything I write as arogance or putting peoples suggestions down, it is just difficult to get the right tone of voice when writing on a computer, all suggestions are welcome, especially if it helps me rekitting an aircraft.
    I now need to find some more lead to adjust the C of G, church roofs are a bit rare out here in Dubai.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

picnico on the beach rd for lead fishing weights, good to hear the mk 1 was airbourne, keep adding the weight to the nose to sort out the instability/stall problems.(do the wingtips have the same washout? they may have twisted up during the long storage period,maybe some heat underneath each tip would fix it.

regards chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Chris.
    Good to hear from you.
    Aircrfat went together well, better then the first spitfire I have.
    Have only painted stripes on the wings so far, will have to try ang get some roundels for it, and finish it of now I know it flies.
    Will be a while before I get a new set of retracts for it as I have to finish of my Jet turbine model and then get my 27% ultimate flying first.
    I will hopefully be going back to UK in May, if I do then I will bring a roll of lead flashing back, as this is nice and thin so you can shape the balance weights to fit anywhere.
    Darryl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Darryl, if you fly Emirates,they just increased the baggage allowance so you can bring two rolls of lead back no charge! (you might need the extra roll if you don't kick the Spitfire habbit)

chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It will be a business trip Chris, which for me means flying with a private corporate jet to the Uk for its maintenance to be carried out, hitting the model shops, loading up the aircraft (no weight limit) and flying back to Dubai, and no customs.

Darryl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

got room for a YT Dak?

chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will let you know if I do go.
    Have you seen the size of YT's boxes?, you could house a family of 4 in them, almost as big as a standard UK size house.
    I had untill recently the Top Flite dac that I built whilst out here, but I fitted a futaba 2.4 r/x, which do not like the heat, and was flying in 48c temps when the r/x locked out due to overheating and the plane went in. Could of rebuilt it but could not be bothered.
    Checked the wings on the mk1 spit, they are good, no warping. The wingtips are plastic which helps.
    Untill I get my new retracts I will only be flying the mk2 (hopefully), another test flight this weekend.
    To any one building this plane, I highly recommend you reinforce the firewall inside and out with loads of fibreglass and cloth, as there is no strength in this area,weight is not an issue,
    Darryl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys I just finished my kmp spit and I mounted a ZDZ40 gaser and the scale robarts ,went to taxi out onto the runway and all she wanted to do was nose over?
    please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:-]
    Flying RC is my life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cant the gear as far forward as possible with shims...see post 1113 above....use the hardest wheels(tires) you can find to reduce the rolling resistance...

Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast