Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1314

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

I knew I would regret not taking pictures of the building process. But what I will do is in the next couple of days I will draw out exactly what we did and explain how we did it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great...looking forward to it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I lost my Spitfire 10 days ago to a bird strike. I was flying at Warbirds Over Louisville at the end of the day. Fortunately the plane landed in a tall bush which kept everything in the fuselage intact...didn't even crack the canopy. I bought a new one from TBM and am surprised at all the operational changes especially in the tail. Mine has the two piece stab with the pull-pull set up for the elevator and the rudder. The tailwheel is now in a more scale location but I will be changing that tail wheel setup to a more scale looking gear. It looks like the tubes for the pull-pull are going to be in the way of my DB interior which also survived the crash. Not sure what to do about that yet. The detail on the fuse is much better now. I am afraid the plane is going to be heavier in the tail with a heavier tail gear and aluminum tube in the stab. I guess I'll find out in about a month.
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, I just started building this plane and enjoying every minute of it. I am deciding on an engine for her and wondering how much difference there is between a Saito 150 and Saito 180. I know the size and weight are very close.

For people whom had installed the Saito 150, is it enough power for big loops? What is the estimated maximum speed with full throttle? I once in awhile do enjoy buzzing the runway full speed and don’t mind the extra power. However, if the Saito 150 is sufficient then I rather just use that.

If you have suggestion for another type of engine, I am all ears.

Thanks,

Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ghostrider-

The 150 will be plenty of speed to do large loops. The 180 may be the best choice since we have all had to add a significant amount of weight to the nose to make this plane balance. I added an SR 3500 mAh battery to my engine mount for added nose weight and I still had to add lead on the other side of the mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh16556.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	1304602  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tevans55 -

Is the cowl on the new Spitfie similar in design and color to the original model? I am considering an engine change this winter and may need to repplace the new cowl.

Thanks,

John

\"Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes the cowl and entire paint scheme is the same in all three versions. For some reason the spitfire pictured on the KMP website shows a different color scheme. I don't know if this was a prototype or just really bad lighting, but all versions have the exact same color scheme. The only difference is the invasion stripes on the later versions, and the small nose art.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks TwinTurboZ. I'll check into replacement cowl availability from KMP or TBM if the engine change requires it.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also know vqwarbirds.com carries the ESM line of kits, and may have parts as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Old Navy Flyer-

Sorry for the delay in reply, but I wanted to get a picture for you. No the gray color is definately different between my two planes. It is brighter on my new plane and I don't remember where I read it but someone associated with ESM said there are variations in the paint from batch to batch. The good news is that "Brun Hilda" is much brighter on my second plane. The gray color is actually more different than it shows in this photo. You probably could match it easy enough at a paint store and then airbrush to match your gray.

Tim

Name:	Qo41192.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	1307103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12774.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1307104  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tim,
    Thanks for the info and photos. If I make the engine change, I'll order a repacement cowl and will paint the gray as necessary. I hope you get your Spitty back in the air soon.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I have built a new ESM Spitfire and reused all of the internals from the last plane. To my surprise when it came time to balance the instructions indicate the CG is 120mm from the leading edge. The instructions from the ESM Spitfire last year indicate the CG is at 107mm. That is a big change considering the planes dimensions have not changed. Mine is a little nose heavy at 120mm (good) and a little tail heavy at 107mm (bad). Have any of you guys flown this plane at 120mm CG and what were your results?
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How do you gentlemen mount the retract air tank? Photos would be greatly appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just used I piece of sponge to mount and then taped it with some duct tape inside the fuse. Nothing fancy but has worked just fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

STARTING ON MY "DEMO ESM SPITFIRE HERE SHORTLY"
    http://www.vqwarbirds.com/aircraft.html

GOING WITH AN AEROVATE/RCGF 26cc rear exhaust Gas engine with a KELEO IN COWL MUFFLER made for NARROW TYPE COWLINGS such as the P-51B/D , SPITFIRES....

I will be using SIERRA PRECISION RETRACTS made specifically for this ESM SPITFIRE
    http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/a...ASPITFIRE.html

POSTING this coming weekend...

-LOOKING FORWARD TO your input...

-TOMAS
    VQ WARBIRDS
    "KEEP 'EM FLYING"
    R/C WARBIRDS / RC TANKS ENTHUSIAST
    VQ WARBIRDS, KMP, & RCV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tomas,

That is great! I thought about using the RCGF 26cc engine on this plane. It would be prefect with the weight of a gasser. However, the thought of cutting up the cowling discourages me. I love to see how you and Keleo come up with the solution. If this works out, I’ll be the first inline to get the new engine and the muffler. Look forward for your post.

Ghostrider

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ghostrider168-
    This is my second ESM Spit so I decided to try something different. I attached the tank to the wing so that I don't have to deal with all the plumbing attachments. It also holds air a long time. I tested it at 100 psi and a week later it still had 82 psi. I also put the valve and servo on the wing.

Tomas-
    Save yourself $40-$50 and put a set of Century Jet retracts on your Spit. These are the prototypes on mine and they have been working great.

Name:	Ki20687.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	1324684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36722.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	1324685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fb87938.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1324686  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tevans55,

Your setup is awesome! I love how you did the air refill by the wheel well. Also, I noticed you have a rocker switch on top of a micro servo. Is this for an on board glow driver? How much ballast do you have to install up front in order to balance at CG? Again, love your setup and hope you don’t mind me stealing some of your ideas.

Ghostrider

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ghostrider-
    Go ahead and steal away!! That's why we do this so that we can extract ideas and methods from each other. The switch on the servo is for the landing light that is attached to the port landing gear. It is a ram light that I molded a cone shaped housing on the rear of. I used JB Weld to make the cone shape on the back of the light. I put the fill valve and receiver switch by the starboard wheel so that I can reach eveything when I get down to fuel and start the engine. I can reach everything and it is somewhat hidden from view. On my last Spit I had the switch in the back of the wheel well and that worked great until the switch went bad and I had to change it out.

I don't know how much weight I have added to the nose but it is more than a pound. On one side of the engine mount I have an SR Batteries 3500 mAh NiCd and on the other side of the engine mount I kept adding lead until the plane went nose down a little at 110mm back from the leading edge.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anybody have a set of the original retracts that came with this spitfire? I am looking for an extra set (preferably not used) of the 1st generation air up spring down retracts. I have attached a picture of what they look like. I know there were plenty of people that did not like them and switched them out. So I am guessing there may be a lot of them just sitting on a shelf. Shoot me an e-mail if you have an unused pair and would like to part with them.

Thank you in advance.

Adam

Name:	Om33695.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	1329538  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shot you an email TwinTurboZ, it's as you said . . . didn't like them didn't use them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Well I have built a new ESM Spitfire and reused all of the internals from the last plane. To my surprise when it came time to balance the instructions indicate the CG is 120mm from the leading edge. The instructions from the ESM Spitfire last year indicate the CG is at 107mm. That is a big change considering the planes dimensions have not changed. Mine is a little nose heavy at 120mm (good) and a little tail heavy at 107mm (bad). Have any of you guys flown this plane at 120mm CG and what were your results?

I did see that CG change in the new ESM spitfire manual, I have not tried it yet.......
    Has anyone tried it?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Please?

[&o]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aviation421-

Since noone has flown this plane at 120mm CG I have balanced mine at 110mm because I know it flies well at 107mm. The weather has been to cold to fly so I have not maidened at this CG. Maybe someone will fly it at 120mm before Spring and let us know!

Tim
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just recently I came across a Model Airplane News article about weathering the KMP Spit,
    not bad see for yourself:

http://aerofe.dropcreative.net/files/dressupwarbird.pdf

in this article there's a mention of a previous MAN complete product evaluation of the KMP Spitfire... has anyone seen it? is it interesting?
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am still looking for a set of the original air up spring down retracts. I posted a picture of them above in post #1220. If anyone has some and you want to get rid of them, please shoot me a PM and let me know how much you want for them.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast