Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need P-40 "War Weary" Documentation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need P-40 "War Weary" Documentation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:34 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need P-40 "War Weary" Documentation

Hello,

Anybody remember the "red box" Top-Flite P-40 kit. It had decals and documentation for a P-40E called "War Weary". There was a picture of it on the box. Does anybody know where I can find more information on this plane???

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-06-2005, 01:39 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Need P-40 "War Weary" Documentation

Hi Mike,
War weary was not a usually particular plane, it is a term which denoted that the plane was used beyond combat serviceability. when an airframe was unfit for combat it would be marked war weary and sent back for refitting or used as a local hack or training machine. The plane was painted with war weary usually in large white letters. The Brits and the yanks both did it. There is the possibility that a pilot would name his plane as such but the confusion tends to disclude that possibility too often. I would be interested who it was if it was an individuals planehere is a link to a kit that is built like you say and from the looks of it, it is the top flite kit.
http://www.mercadolibre.cl/org-img/o...20359_2691.jpg
good Luck
Paul
Old 03-06-2005, 04:11 AM
optech

Paul,

In this case the plane in question was not an actual "War Weary" aircraft. At least it doesn't seem so. A little research has turned up that plane was actually a P-40K.... not an E, assignd to the 23rd FG, 74th FS in Kweilin, China. I still don't know the pilot that flew it. An obscure refrerance is noted here; http://www.web-birds.com/14th/23/23.htm See the first pic toward the bottom of the page. In any case, I see that the pic was a Carl Molesworth pic so I ordered the book he wrote for Osprey (#35 in the series) about the P-40 aces of the CBI. Maybe there is some more info in it.

That does look like the older Red-Box kit I'm talking about. The tell-tale is the cowl. Its not correct. The chin intake is not set back. It looks more like an "F" model intake. I found a pic of the kit box.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53627.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	238726  
Old 03-07-2005, 05:32 PM
rcamp

Curious, are you saying the documentation that came with the kit says it's an "E" model? Because with the extended verticle stab, it sure looks like a "K" model to me.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:44 PM
optech

Robert,

In my first post I had assumed the older Top-Flite "red-box" kit was a E model like their current "gold-edition" kits. I never even noticed the K model rudder in the red-box picture until I found the reference at that web site.

I do not have a red-box kit so I do not know what kind of documentation is included. I only found a pic for referance for this thread.

I had a chance to buy a red-box kit once but it was partially built so I passed on it. I did pick up the unstarted F8F Bearcat kit though.

Mike
Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Darren40
My Feedback: (2)

I've got a red box P40. The kit builds as a P-40E from memory. I took a quick look but couldn't find the 'documentation' that came with the kit, though I'm sure I still have it. If you're really interested let me know and I'll spend more time looking.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:37 AM
optech

Darren,

I appreciate the offer. Another person with a kit is taking some pics of everything for me.

About building as a "E". The only outward appearing differance from the E and K model was the root extension on the rudder to make it bigger. Do you have a pic of your plane???

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-10-2005, 08:15 PM
rogerk

Mike, I still have the box, plans and a set of the mylar decals if that would help.
Roger
Old 03-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Darren40
My Feedback: (2)

Here's a couple, hope this works.

Name:	Li21206.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	242042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61896.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	242043  
Old 03-11-2005, 08:45 PM
optech

Roger,

Let me see what the pics I'm getting look like. Otherwise I would be interested in buying the stuff from you. Out of curiosity, is the camo patterns shown on the plans? Is there any mention of what colors were supposed to be used? It seems most of the China based fighters were Olive and Earth but the red-box pic shows something more like earth and tan(sand)????

Darren,
Good looking plane. Do you still fly it. The rudder definitely looks like an "E" model.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-12-2005, 11:50 PM
tigertooth
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Optech, I also have one of the Red Box kits and have been looking for any photos or info. on the P-40 illustrated on the box top. After searching various books, still no photos shown with "War Weary" painted on the nose. The P-40 illustrated is indeed a K model. Which was an E model with a dorsal fin added to help correct the swing or pull due to the increased power of the Allison engine during take offs. The next modification was the longer fuselage. The insignia was used in Aug. 1943 or later. The round radio loop behind the canopy was installed on alot of short fused K models and some of the L,M,and N models. The colors used were Dark Earth, Middlestone, and Azure Blue. Some of the P-40's in North Africa, the 79th and 57th FG in Italy and Tunisia used this paint scheme along with the Dark Earth or Middle Stone painted spinner.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:14 PM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: optech

Hello,

Anybody remember the "red box" Top-Flite P-40 kit. It had decals and documentation for a P-40E called "War Weary". There was a picture of it on the box. Does anybody know where I can find more information on this plane???

Thanks,
Mike
Optech referenced this earlier. The only reference I could find; although lots of planes were designated "war weary", no where could I find that they were actually painted that way.

Taken from http://www.web-birds.com/14th/23/23.htm

P-40N-1 No. 41 of the 74th FS on its belly at Kweilin, early 1944. Notes: Dark green dapple camouflage over OD on tail; national insignia star and bar with no border; serial number in black on tail. The second aircraft parked in the background is P-40K No. 47, "War Weary."

Name:	Tr50624.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	243188  
Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 PM
dragoonpvw

Mike,
here is what my book Sharkmouth 1916-1945 says about that plane, the Airco Aircam books are good sources os information and I knew some of my reference books would turn something up. The plane in the picture above at kweillin could be in the same state. The fact that it is named war weary could be a joke or an actual designation. The fact that it is retired and does not have the standard ww on the tail could be a clue. I would like to hear from any other source on it.

Name:	Us53674.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	244151  
Old 03-14-2005, 11:27 PM
dragoonpvw

This is what happened to european theatre War weary planes but I am sure I have seen pictures with the two words in full. Look at the WW on the tail of all these planes and they often used as trainers or hacks
Good Luck
Paul

Name:	Ay74015.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	244155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97188.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	244156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53236.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	244157  
Old 03-16-2005, 10:03 PM
tigertooth
My Feedback: (1)

Paul, That is some of the best info. I have seen on War Weary #47. Good job! Thanks. Richard.
ORIGINAL: dragoonpvw

Mike,
here is what my book Sharkmouth 1916-1945 says about that plane, the Airco Aircam books are good sources os information and I knew some of my reference books would turn something up. The plane in the picture above at kweillin could be in the same state. The fact that it is named war weary could be a joke or an actual designation. The fact that it is retired and does not have the standard ww on the tail could be a clue. I would like to hear from any other source on it.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:01 AM
optech

ORIGINAL: dragoonpvw

Mike,
Nice.... Thanks abunch for this info. Can you give more details about that book you have. I could always use more resources. I recently picked up a book called "The Curtiss P-40: From 1939 to 1945 (Planes and Pilots, 3)" by Anis El Bied, Daniel Laurelut, Anis El Bied, Alan McKay (Translator). Lots and lots of color profiles of all models of the P-40. Pages of nose art, color top views and such. It looks like they culled from all the other books avialable like the "Aces" series, Squadron Signal series, Bert Kinsey and such. A much more concise work.

I wonder where Top Flight got their info and why they chose this particular plane for their box cover and such???

Anyway, we now have two color profiles from two sources and a referance in a pic from a well known historian so it looks like the plane actually existed. But are the colors right? One source puts this plane in China while Tigertooth notes the colors are more representative of use in Africa or Italy???

Mike
Old 03-17-2005, 02:55 PM
dragoonpvw

Mike,
the colours are right. Though the colours were used by the Desert Airforce (DAF) they were also used in India and China, the Flying Tigers had these colours on some of their planes later. I would check on the bottom colour as I am not sure if it is azure blue but it could be.
Good Luck
Paul
Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 AM
thx13800

Default RE: Need P-40

Hello,

I was looking for some P-40 art when I came across this thread. While it may be several years old. I might still be able to add some insight.
My grandfather flew for the Flying Tigers in China. It was was before the war officially started, but that was common. He served two and a half tours, 1/2before and two after the declaration of war.
Peter Morello was his name. He past away several years ago. We have several photos, his flight uniform and jacket and even gun camera reels. It wasn't until after he passed that we were able to see the films. He loved being a pilot, but hated killing people.

Anyway, he painted war weary on the nose of his plane. But, he never had the shark.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Luft-Gangster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Need P-40

thx13800 Yes please post some photo's. Sounds like your grandfather was quit a guy and Ijust happen to have a P-40 looking for a color scheme. It would be an honor and aprivlage to model his aircraft. Thanks