Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

INSTALLING THE REVOLUTION 52 AND SCALE EXHAUST ON THE TOP FLITE ARF P-51

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

INSTALLING THE REVOLUTION 52 AND SCALE EXHAUST ON THE TOP FLITE ARF P-51

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:42 PM
3D-arren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: INSTALLING THE REVOLUTION 52 AND SCALE EXHAUST ON THE TOP FLITE ARF P-51

Just another mention about the Rev 52. Cimmaster did have some problems with some ignition systems sparking elsewhere and not at plug. If you run into the problem of irratic start then stop or dead sticks in the air call cimmaster they will replace you ignition with a new vacume tested unit.

Sorry to hear about your P51 my Ultimate went the same way PCM locked out and the whole plane was lost. I have my radio and receivers into JR for checking.

But at least the engine ran well it sounded great and had excellent throttle response and didnt shake the plane apart either.

oh well

3D
Old 08-04-2005, 10:31 AM
AirplaneMan04

Default RE: INSTALLING THE REVOLUTION 52 AND SCALE EXHAUST ON THE TOP FLITE ARF P-51

Samuel, can u help me with a ? ?? what is the dimension in inches from the center of the crank to the top of the head
on the motor? I am interested in this engine for my yellow aircraft zero, but need to make sure it will fit first.
Thanks and good luck. Nice looking Mustang you have

-Airplaneman
Old 08-04-2005, 12:53 PM
3D-arren

The measurement from the centre of the shaft to the top of head is 4.8" if you take it to the plug top its about 5.25". Yes it will fit in your cowl its a very compact engine and muffler system.

Regards

3d
Old 08-04-2005, 07:36 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

ditto on those engine measurements.
After losing my second one to a crystal falling out,
I just flew her (3rd one) last weekend and she went dead after about 5 minutes.
No spark and called their Texas shop and he said they'd send me a new ignition module.
In the meantime, I put my old G-38 in her and flew yesterday.
She's a great flying machine.
This is one warbird you can just about float down with those flaps down 60 degrees and being so light.
I sure hope they bring out an ARF P-47: got a DA-50 all ready.

Got a new warbird a few weeks ago.
This was Gary Webb's top gun entry in 2003.
She a real beauty.
Hope to fly her this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23619.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	305626  
Old 09-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Young-RCPilot

This thread's kinda Dead but I still want more info on this engine I was wondering if anyone has compared it to say a DA-50 I was talking to Arther today he's a really nice guy and he had the engines there they look very good, I am going to be getting a Aero-Tech Yak soon and I am still deciding on an engine hows the stock muffler that comes with the revo 50 is it loud?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 AM
3D-arren

Young RC

I havent compared to a DA but I do own a BME 50 and the difference is clear. The Revolution has less vibration more power and is quieter than the BME. Its a craker of an engine. They did have some early ignition problems but Cimmaster have a swap out warranty if you experience any issues. Ignition problems are something all manufacturters go through BME have had it and DA. You would be very unlucky if you get one with a problematic ignition though.

Regards
Old 09-17-2005, 05:40 AM
samparfitt

Well, after six and a half months, I can say she is finally flying.
I've had a multitude of engine problems but they finally appear to be ironed out.
After about a dozen dead sticks during those 6 months, I finally got a full flight in with the cowl off.
The next flight was with the cowl on and, after about 8 minutes, she hesitated on a mid throttle low pass so I immediately brought her in.
I'm hoping it was just a fluke and she didn't overheat.
The pic shows the cowl opening: it appears to be large enough to prevent overheating!
Being such a slim engine, the top of the head is about a 1/2" inside the cowl.
I'm using a Zinger 20X10 prop and getting 7200 RPM at full throttle and a very respectable 1400 RPM's on idle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67789.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	325123  
Old 09-19-2005, 03:54 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

samparfitt,

If you could wrap the cylinder and head with Saran wrap and then make a fiberglass baffle to get all the incoming air thru the fins and exit behind the cylinder you would have less problems with overheating, doesn't have to be pretty. (If you make the aft end of the radiator scoop open you can duct the air thru the fuselage and out. If the opening on the bottom of the cowl is getting buffeted you may not get any air thru the fins at all.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:36 PM
samparfitt

Brian,
Thanks for the info.
I flew her last weekend and no problems in the air so I think all's OK: of course the temp is only 80 degrees this time of year.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:55 PM
PlaneKrazee

I'm glad to hear it is running well.

If in the future you do decide you want to make the baffles, load the fiberglass cloth with resin on a plastic sheet on the workbench, squeegee out the excess resin and wait for the epoxy to get to a half cured plastic stage, then pick it up and mould it around the engine and faux duct shapes. If you try to pick up the cloth right after applying the resin you will have a sticky and totally unruley mess.

Also if you spray som 3M contact adhesive inside the cowl you can stick saran wrap to the inside of the cowl and slide it over your still green epoxyglass ducting and then reach thru the opening and spread the front of the duct out to touch the cowl. After it cures you can remove the cowl, duct, saran, etc. After you
Old 09-20-2005, 09:36 AM
MustangFan

After having problems with the Rev-52, I called the designer in Canada.

I was told the problem is in keeping the crankcase cool.
When the crankcase gets hot, the engine will vapor lock and quit.
So when your making the baffles ... make sure a sufficient supply of air goes not only toward the head ... but beneath that.

I couldn't keep mine running with the cowl off ... I have the kit version ... which has the upper portion of the cowl made from balsa and attached to the firewall.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:54 AM
PlaneKrazee

Mustangfan,

I wonder if by supplying the cylinder with proper cooling if the case would not remain cool. Very little heat is generated in the lower case and it is cooled by incoming fuel and air. A properly baffled engine will run cooler than one in open air because you are forcing the air thru thru fins not just passing the air around them. If you take the heat away from the head and cylinder the case will be warm but not hot.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:11 AM
MustangFan

Just relaying what the designer found out.

They are considering supplying a fan unit for the TF P-51 ARF.

After running mine without a cowl and having a problem ... I don't know ... I thought that the cylinder would get sufficient air flow ... but after 5-7 minutes the engine lost power.

I was told they researched the air temp going into the carb ... the cylinder head temp ... and the crankcase temp.
Keeping the crankcase cool was the cure.

If keeping the head cool will keep the crankcase cool ... great.

If anyone comes across the magic formula ... let us all know.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:26 AM
PlaneKrazee

I think RCIGN has the cure, a bigger carb block. 1/4" bigger fins all around would be good too. I have spoken to Authur Leung in the past regarding investment castings and quality.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Young-RCPilot

Well My plane is comming in October ( I hope ) and It looks like I will be putting this engine in the front because I live close to Missisauga and could drive there if I have any problems with the engine. Also 3D-Arren how much does your Ultamate weigh and does it have enough power to hover and pull out of it?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:13 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BobH

Sam, sounds like yours is the never version like the one I saw this year at Toledo. I agree 100% about the PCM. I roll my eyes when ever I hear someone say "it justs masks the problem". If you think about it, if the receiver doesn't "See" the problem then is there really a problem? Any way I'm all for using them when using and IC engine. Good luck with it and please report how the plane performs. Take care.
Yes I agree with Bob H----- early on when I ventured into Gas engines with any kind of ignition P.C.M. is the way to go mask it heck--the Rx. can't hear the noise (right Bob!)[sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-24-2005, 09:25 PM
ramcfarland

I was thinking maybe the ZDZ50NG would be a clean instal in the new Top flite Mustang as well:did you consider it before you went for the Revolution 52?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:14 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Richard, it does my old heart good to have some one agree with me... thanks bro! lol
Old 09-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Richard, I will be putting a ZDZ50NG in mine next week. I have the engine, I'm just waiting on my exhast from Kelvin. He said it was shipped friday. It has the cross the country so it will hopefully be here next friday. I will let you know how it fits.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:34 AM
3D-arren

Young RC

At 22lbs the bipe is well powered with the the rev 52. My only thought is that this engine would fit into an airplane with an all up weight of
around 16-17lbs the performace would be balistic. It hovers the bipe but wont pull out fast. If your looking for scale performance I know a guy who has it in a scale bipe weighing 32lbs good for scale aerobatics but not 3D.

JKust keep the model as light as you can, this engine is as good as the rest but with a bit more power.

3D-arren
Old 10-30-2005, 06:47 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Samparfitt,

I have just started my P-51 with a Rev 50 and was wondering what you did about getting to the needles on the engine?.....It looks like my carb will be located about 1/2 inch inside the firewall. Also what size standoffs did you have to use?

Now that you have the problems worked out with the Rev 50 what do you think of the engine?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 08:07 PM
ramcfarland

ORIGINAL: cowboyway88

Hey Richard, I will be putting a ZDZ50NG in mine next week. I have the engine, I'm just waiting on my exhast from Kelvin. He said it was shipped friday. It has the cross the country so it will hopefully be here next friday. I will let you know how it fits.
Kelly,
Have you tried the ZDZ50NG in your Top Flite Mustang any issues etc. My first "gasser' is the ZDZ 50NG and I have learned a lot about gas (a true statement as I knew NOTHING about gas before.")
Now seriously I can attest to the powerful and reliable performance I'm now enjoying with this engine in combination with a Pitts muffler fully cowled ,of course in a Great Planes Patti Extra. Now with the Extra there is a vast area unlike a G.S. P-47 for entry Vs. EXIT air and with a Mustang cowl it seems every thing gets tight and it does not seem to me that the Revolution 52 even with the extended hub is a superior power plant for the Top Flite Giant Scale Mustang which appears really fine for the 50cc class and the ZDZ50NG would run great with the scale exhaust if some one can fabricate them and offer commercially. I know I would order one [8D]
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 AM
PlaneKrazee

The only way I could see to get proper cooling to a totally enclosed mustang engine would be to make a tight fiting glass duct around the cylinder and head in the cowl and then route the air thru the lower cockpit, thru the center of the wing aft of the main spar and out the aft end of the scoop.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:19 PM
samparfitt

David,
I can get to the adjustment screws when the cowl is off.
They are just in front of the fire wall.
I moved the ignition module behind the fire wall.
It's been flying well but it's now the cool season in Ohio.
As in the previous pic I used, the hole in the bottom of the cowl is pretty large.
The engine starts easily: I choke it and open the throttle with the ignition on until she sputters.
Then I open the choke, put the throttle to idle and she starts doing only about 1400 RPM's.
Full throttle gives me around 7300 RPM's on a 20X10 Zinger prop.
I start down the runway slow and I keep the elevator in the up position for about 50-75'.
After that I let the elevator go to neutral and then I can control her with the rudder.
I like taking off scale so I always start at the end of the runway and, once the elevator is in neutral,
the tale comes up and I run her until the end of the runway before taking off.
Except of slow low passes and down sides of loops, I usually keep full throttle.
At that speed she does nice loops, split S's and cuban eights.
I used the standoffs that came with the engine.
Sam

Old 11-05-2005, 09:23 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

I'm looking for some ideas about servo and receiver setups. I'm using a JR 9303 Tx and was wondering what others were using and on what channels...(y-harness, matchboxes, or other)? Has anybody combined the rudder and tail wheel on one servo?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.