Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hurray, Hurray!! My JDM FW-190 is complete!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hurray, Hurray!! My JDM FW-190 is complete!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurray, Hurray!! My JDM FW-190 is complete!!!

Those of you interested in the Jack Devine Model line, here's a recently completed FW-190A. She took over a year to finish, only because of my never-ending "honey-do" list, though many, many extra's added to this project increased the building time tremendously.

For those familiar with JDM, they are foam planes, then finished with conventional methods. Flying characteristics claim to be outstanding.

Some specs:
Hermann Graf's version of Sept. 44
82" wingspan
Zenoah G-62 (she'll be a rocket ship!)
Robart gear
Painted with automotive basecoats and clearcoated with PPG Flex-N-Flat
Graphics handpainted or printed on decal paper
Flaps
All bombs drops independently.

here's the kicker---weight: 26 lbs. Yes 26. She took a full 2 lbs. of lead in the nose to balance. Normally this is not typical. Weight should be 22-24lbs.
I'm hoping with the washout and flaps, she will still fly and land well. That day is scheduled for this Thursday@ Markham Park, Florida.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44256.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	259482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39386.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	259483   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27203.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	259484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80427.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	259485  
Old 04-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Nickrc3

Default RE: Hurray, Hurray!! My JDM FW-190 is complete!!!

Additional pics...

Name:	Hf98536.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	259486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62160.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	259487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38760.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	259488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86375.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	259489  
Old 04-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Looks great and good luck on the first flight. I like the color sceam.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:55 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!! Let us know how the maiden flight goes.

Brian
Old 04-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Nickrc3

Last three...

Name:	Zx71221.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	259544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75423.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	259545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28798.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	259546  
Old 04-17-2005, 10:22 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

turned out very nice Nick. good luck on the maiden, should be a sweatheart
to fly
Old 04-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Scalenut-RCU

Nick,
She looks great. I have been flying my JDM FW190 for about a year and have had great success with this model. Mine is about 24 lbs on a Fuji 50. I find it lands best with wheel landings and getting the flaps up right after touch down. That really makes it stick. In the air it grooves like a pattern ship. Good luck with the first flight.

Forest
Old 04-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick, Really nice! I like the exhaust detail that you did...very convincing.
Rob / Katchmarek
Old 04-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Nickrc3

Forest, I mentioned you at the other site.
I thank you on providing the much-needed answers to my many questions regarding the building of this model. I followed your building thread through it's beginning.
Hopefully those two extra pounds won't destroy it's docile flying characteristics.
Looking forward on flying with you at Mac Hodges place this June.

Nick
Old 04-18-2005, 04:04 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Nick looks fantastic good luck with the maiden flight . Can you give us some details on your great efforts , things like rivits ect .
Thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 08:57 AM
goatboy

what time thursday? I fly out of markham also. would like to see it up close.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Sledge-RCU

DAWN PATROL 2005
Warbirds over Arkansas
Presented By the Hans Ulrich Rudel RC Flying Circus
**** Grand Event ****
JUNE 9-12, 2005

AMA required. IMAA will have a special drawing.. This years event limited to:
Any IMAA legal, scale, WWI, WWII, Vintage Aircraft to 1929
Military Aircraft that has a propeller. No Heilos or Jets.
A Special OK from the Air Boss that would allow the German ME 163 Comet & Gotha 229.
We have over $3000.00 of raffle and piloted drawing items donated.

Tom, Sue, 479-253-7273 - Dale Locander 479- 636-5734 days.
Visit Historic Eureka Springs the Victorian Switzerland of the Ozarks..
Branson is only 35 miles away. The Mennonites will again be cooking on Fri. Nt. & Saturday.
No landing fee. AMA required. Just a gathering for the purpose of having Fun.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Nickrc3

Thanks on the compliments guys. Only hope she's not that proverbial "lead-sled".

LDM... Flush rivets are burned with a 20 watt Weller soldering pencil, which has a 1/16" piece of brass tubing crimped onto the tip. These are applied after the top coat, then steel-wooled to remove excess flashing (or the mushrooming of primer/paint). Airbrush over will the color base. A 36" steel straight edge with tape looped and pressed 1/8" along the panel line ensures a straight row of rivets. One thing I despise is viewing a row of rivets which make you sea-sick.
Raised rivets - Pica's GLU-IT, right out of the bottle. I modified an old SIG primer bottle with a hypodermic tip.
Gun Hood - Evercoat lightweight filler. Built up the pattern with masking tape and apply this Bondo to desired thickness.
Gun Bulges - top's from my anti-perspirate containers.
Hatches - .015 plastic. and air-conditioning duct tape (aluminum type). I also use printer's lithoplate, like behind the cowling.
Aft cowl vents - .016 aluminum bent in a small vise.
Exhaust tips - K&S streamline tubing mounted in a block on wood and secured into the 1/2" firewall.

Nick
Old 04-18-2005, 04:36 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like the ribbits. Beautiful job...and thanks for the building tips. I hope it flys as pretty as it looks. Best of luck.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Metalmorphous
My Feedback: (2)

Congratulations on a Great job!!! She looks fantastic

Ron Randall

www.metal-merphous.com
Old 04-19-2005, 12:13 PM
ES335

Superb work, Nick! Geez, that thing looks like the rest of your work- exemplary! Hope to see you at TG, PM me here or on the other site for cell#'s so I can find you on Sat.

Here's to a sweetly uneventful maiden!

Phil
Old 04-19-2005, 12:15 PM
ES335

Old 04-20-2005, 06:10 AM
Warbirdz01
My Feedback: (1)

Nick............another professional job to go with the rest of your "Squadron"....really looks like you spent some time on this one..........I am looking forward to being out on thurday for the maiden flight............looks like we'll have a nice weather day with winds out of the east @ 10-15 knots............Bill........
Old 04-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Nickrc3

Thanks Bill,
Yes, I've been monitoring the winds and they look favorable for tomorrow.

Just putting the finishing touches on her with balancing the prop and spinner/backplate, cycling batteries, securing clevis's, etc.
Charlie was over last night for the final CG balance, so I'm confident that is set per designer. Tonight I'll set all throws and load her in the vehicle for Thursday.

Hope to see you and Keith there.

Nick
Old 04-20-2005, 03:52 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Nick thanks a ton that is great info and agian great job !!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Cubano8

Nick,
How was the maiden?
Hope to see it at the AMPS club one day.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:28 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work Nick...good luck
Old 04-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Nickrc3

She flys!!!!!!!! I only wish I could provide the video clip. It's on my 8mm, but I've got no way of presenting it to you fellow's.

Here's my story...

As planned, I went out to Markham Park, Fla. yesterday afternoon expecting the high winds to subside. They never did and to make matters worse, cross runway.

Not too be discouraged, I set the plane up alone and spent about an hour checking linkages, gear, batteries, fuel etc.

As 5:00PM approached, winds shifted down the runway and all my flight crew had arrived, so I was determined in get her airborne.

The G-62 start right up, idle set. Man... the spiral nosecone is mesmerizing at slow speeds! Pulling and holding elevator, I taxi out onto the runway. Now lined up, and in typical warbird fashion by holding elevator I gently accelerate the engine. I expected a good pull to the left, using the bigger engine and a 22 X10 Menz prop, and I got it. Nothing drastic though, as slight right rudder straightened the roll out. Still at 1/4 throttle and rolling for about 20 feet the tail became light and lifted. Now relaxing the elevator, I'm up on the mains and advancing the throttle - She's right on runway center and tracking like freight train! I'm already thinking this is going to be a sweet take-off. No pitching or deviation, though I still continue to hold slight right rudder. Now at full throttle, she's hauling butt-beautiful! I slightly bumped the elevator and away she goes, lifting up into a beautiful climb. Gear up immediately. Before I made that first turn, I had throttled back down to 1/2. The nose continued to point up, letting her climb for several seconds. First turn downwind and at a safe altitude, she required slight down elevator and slight right aileron trim. Jack and Steve - your initial surface deflections were dead on!

Now flying level, I'm beyond that stress point and relaxed flying begins.

I checked the CG in both upright and inverted attitudes. Upright and fully stalled, she simply drops her nose-no tip stall or snapping of any kind. Inverted, she requires a fair amount of up elevator to maintain level flight. Maybe too much nose weight? Anyways... I continue to fly for several minutes and then turn the transmitter over to my two veteran R/C friends, Paul Tirone and Mike Haspas. With a combined R/C experience of five decades, we concluded this is a very solid flying design. No surprises, agile, but yet, solid-on-the-sticks.

Mike reduces air speed and asks to drop 1/2 flaps, then full flaps. I say "yes", he does. At half flap, the nose drops more than usual. O.K., not bad. At full full, the plane goes into this hard left turn/spiral! I mean ugly! Immediately its shouted "pull the flaps". He does, and the plane levels out and he resumes flight. Thank goodness we had altitude. Upon retrieving the radio back, I notice additional right aileron trim is required- lots of it. I feed that in and decide to land.

Before dropping the gear, throttle is increased. Gear down-no significant pitching. I must land at 1/2 flap or no flap. Being at 26 lbs. I insist on utilizing flaps. At final, the plane is far away, but flying directly at me. With the nose pointed slighlty down, 1/2 flaps are deployed and throttle is massaged. She's looking good - beautiful rate of decent.

At about two feet from the deck, the nose raises and I over-compensate by feeding too much throttle. She's now about to land a bit faster than I would of liked. She touches down, but the nose then comes up and I inadvertently feed too much elevator , not relaxing it [], as instructed by Paul Tirone. The result was a bounce that fortunately, didn't damage the plane and/or gear. It wasn't pretty.

Once retrived, I notice the left flap hanging down. What's this! Evidently, the rod was not screwed enough into the Robart clevis. Even with a backing nut, she still pulled out. I had 1/4" of threads into her - not enough.

I quickly fixed that and once again, took to the air. Same run out, same take off manners. This flight was to be special though. Mike Haspas is an expert at programming the JR 8301 radio. Once airborne and me holding the transmitter, Mike accessed the menu's and corrected all the trims, mixing, and surfaces deflections. Guy's, this is the only way to solve flight problems quickly and accurately! Just assure your partner thoroughly understands what and how to perform any changes. Gotta love computer radio's!

So now, upon dropping 1/2 flap, full flap (40 degree), gear or whatever, the plane tracks beautifully with a slight nose down attitude.

Two additional landings were made that afternoon, both grease jobs.

Overall , I am extremely pleased with the JDM 190's flight characteristics, performance and overall behavior. Utilizing the G-62 engine, (IMHO), was the right choice. She's fast, but not that rocketship I expected. I imagine the airfoil will only allow a certain max airspeed -unlimited climb rate though. I feel she flies very similar to my Ziroli Zero - solid on the sticks, predictable. At 26lbs. it's certainly not a thrash-around model, but performs all the maneuvers I desire, including inverted flight and low, rudder circles. I may drill-out some of the lead shot within the nose, as she requires more up elevator to maintain level flight while inverted. No big deal though.

I highly recommend this design to anyone and certainly to the beginning or intermediate warbird pilot who desires an easy to fly warbird design. This, coupled with the manufacturer's support, is a win-win situation !

I thank everyone for all their support and providing that invaluable information that led to my success with the JDM 190.

Hope to see some of you at Joe Nall in 2 weeks. I will then be dropping bombs on some unexpected target !

Nick Capone
Old 04-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Cubano8

Congrats on the maiden Nick!
Is there a web page for the JDM kit? If so can you please post it. Thanks.

BTW, This morning was a very nice day at the AMPS club, winds were very light.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:32 PM
ES335

Congrats and good on ya!

Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.