Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Kyosho P-51 Engine mount

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Kyosho P-51 Engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 02:43 PM
YoPete!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho P-51 Engine mount

Guys,

I just got my Kyosho P-51 and I'm so excited about getting her ready but I need a quick answer from some of you that own one of these babies.

Ok first, When I look straight at the firewall at the engine center-line mark that Kyosho put there ,it just doesn't seem like it's to centered to me. So I took an empty toilet roll tube and inserted it down through the cowling front untill it hits the firewall square and sure enough this center-line mark is NOT excactly centered in the tube.
Now, is this like this because of the little bit (3 degrees) of right thrust I need to add to engine or do you think that the people or person who marked it, is off his mark a little? The firewall is just about 4" in width, but this center-line mark is definetly not in the center. It's a little bit to the right looking straight at it

Second question: How excactly do I get the 3 degree right thrust into the engine? The instructions say to put a 1/8" piece of wood behind the left engine mount. This particular engine mount is actually two seperate pieces of stock, so putting a spacer behind it would only push that side of the mount out 1/8" and not actually induce ANY right thrust at all right?
I mean I could see if the mount was one unit as a whole. Then by putting this spacer in would angle the whole unit and obtain this 3degree angle but with the mount being two seperate pieces it would'nt work would it?
If you guys can help me out a little I would sure apprecitae it!!
Man I looked for days for some info on this plane, I cant believe I found this forum with so much of it here!! I learned so much already to help make this maiden flight a succes(I hope!) LOL

Ok men! Thanks in advance

Pete
Old 09-29-2002, 03:20 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First, the vertical line that Kyosho put on the firewall is correct. This line is slightly offset to the left. Once you mount the engine with the proper right thrust, the spinner will be centered with the front of the cowl.

Second, it's easy to get the right thrust with the two separate pieces of engine mount. Align the engine and drill holes in the two mounting beams the normal way, assuming that there is no right thrust. The mounting holes in one beam should be in the same positions as the mounting holes in the other beam. Then bolt the engine securely to the two beams. Now mount the entire unit to the firewall and guess what, when you add spacer underneath the left mount, the entire unit "as a whole" will tilt to the right. The engine has no choice but to tilt with the left beam since it is already bolted down.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:42 PM
redxfred
My Feedback: (3)

Yopete: I had the same problem, but I found RCUniverse too late so now I have to live with it. Like a good little amateur builder, I centered the engine and bolted her on aimed straight ahead with no tilt. Now the cowl is all rigged and I'm committed to lots of right rudder on takeoff.

The problem: Some of us received no supplemental instructions and don't read Japanese! I think KYOTO is no longer on my list after comparing them to the other things available out there.

Be very careful with your unsheeted wings and stabilizer as they are puncture-prone.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:23 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is very interesting, I have the Me109 and will have to check the plans again but I do remember having to schim the mount ot remove theright thrust. It's really not needed.

I also wonder if they have moved the CG back for the Me109 like they did for the P-51D because I stopped flying mine early this summer and put it on the pile for needs work. It flew like a tracktor trailor fully loaded, and that is usually a sign that the CG is to far forward so I plan to start moving it back till it has the elevator authority I think it should have as long as it dose not pick up any bad habits on the way there.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:55 AM
redxfred

Palladin,

My Mustang shares the same CG problem as your Target. The CG is too far forward and really tends to nose over during ground ops. That clued me not to fly it until the tail at least stays down during taxi.

I have the big, 4 cycle OS .52 which is probably the reason. I received no supplemental instructions with the kit so I just balanced on the wing spar. Can anyone give me balancing info from the supplemental instructions please? I don't even know what they use for datum.

I feel unbalanced,
Fred

"... there's two kinds of airplanes. Mustangs and Targets!"
Old 10-02-2002, 04:01 PM
DaveCards

The supplemental instructions says to balance it at 133mm (127mm-140mm)

That is very much farther back than the original instructions which is 120mm-130mm.

What CG you using now?
At the moment i have mine at 122mm with the OS 4cycle 52, what do you think?

Dave
Old 10-02-2002, 04:12 PM
redxfred

Thanks, Dave. I don't know what datum you're using. Are you measuring from the leading edge at the wing root or what?
Old 10-02-2002, 05:37 PM
DaveCards

Yes from the wing root. I just moved the CG back to 131mm. I feel more comfortable now, it should help the plane from nosing down. This will be its maiden flight as well.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:21 PM
redxfred

Good Luck! Thanks for your feedback.
Fred
Old 10-12-2002, 01:54 AM
YoPete!

Yes guys, the plans call for 120-133 mm back from leading edge inverted at wing root. Mine was flying great but the cg was WAY far foward and I too had nose over problems today.
I moved cg to exactly 120 and I'll see what happens tomorrow!
Actually it's a just a tad nose heavy at 120mm.
I'll post tomorrow afternoon with EXCACT cg to let you know how it went. Keep fingers crossed!!! LOL

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30068_14918.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	17835  
Old 10-12-2002, 11:24 AM
redxfred

Thanks, Pete!
That's exactly what I need to know...
Fred
Old 10-12-2002, 04:50 PM
YoPete!

Red,

Ok bro! I just got back from the field and everything went great!First of all, I didn't have any nose overs at all. I just checked my CG and it is at 4 5/8" on top of the wing in close to the root of the wing. Put your mark there, then invert the plane and check it.

You know what though? I think the most important thing that let me NOT have any nose overs was that I bent the wheels forward enough so that the rear of the wheels was almost in line with the leading edge of the wing. Actually, my first flight was a nose over, but after bending the gear I didn't have any more. I enclosed a picture for you to see.

If you need any other info. or pictures I will be back home later tonight and will check my mail. Leave me your email address so I can send pics to you there. Alright Bro talk to you later.

Pete

Name:	30171_14918.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	17836  
Old 10-12-2002, 04:51 PM
YoPete!

ONE MORE PIC!

Pete

Name:	30173_14918.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	17837  
Old 10-16-2002, 06:01 PM
redxfred

Yopete!
Mine has mechanical retracts and they are placed exactly where your "down & welded" wheels are. I'm placing my CG 4 5/8" aft of LE like yours. If it crashes now, it's all YOUR fault....I am not responsible!
Fred
Old 10-16-2002, 07:48 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

redxfred, Where's that fighter pilot mentality! Get the wheels off the ground, then adjust for minimum smoke.

I'll move mine back slowly, personally. But then I fly a me 109 E.

Good luck!
There's only two types of Models: Those that have and those that are gona crash.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:52 PM
redxfred

Dear Target,
You're dating yourself... they don't smoke anymore! When in doubt... blowers! Now you know what the red X means in,
redxfred
Old 07-18-2003, 11:12 PM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

I know this tread is old but im giving this a shot....redoing my P-51 to a side mounted engine with slimline muffler. I dont have the instructions so please help me out here.... Where exactly do you mount the engine...Do I have to drill out new holes for the mounts? Im gonna refinish my cowl for this application, but how much "head" must protrude from the cowl? Thanks in advance, pictures of this type setup would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks again.

Luis
Old 07-19-2003, 11:09 AM
redxfred

Luis,
The Kyosho Mustang comes with pre-drilled holes that are not aligned with the longitudinal axis. Use them to mount your engine because they help compensate for torque and P-factor during takeoff. I made the mistake of remounting on the centerline which requires more control inputs than are necessary.

It doesn't matter if you have the instructions or not... they are the most incomplete and hard to understand instructions I've ever tried to use.

My mount is vertical so no help there.

Fred
Old 07-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Arf-er

Default Saggy skins!

Hi,

Enjoy your P-51 while it lasts! ... what I mean is, I absolutely love the look of the Kyosho P-51, great colour scheme with panel & rivert details... but the material really sucks! - Mine has sagged and wrinkled like prunes... and some of the wing covering over the spars have begun to crack! - the whole thing is literally deteriorating...
Yes, after 1.5 years' of consistant, hard operational weekend duty... what a pity. I'm planning to decommission it & get the new, bigger, 60-sized Hangar-9 Mustang. For once, it'll be easier to see! (has anyone noticed that the silver skinned Kyosho P-51 disappears into a cloudy-white sky... if not for the invasion stripes?!)
Old 07-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Arf-er

Oh, and here she is ;-)

Name:	97096_23864.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	17838  
Old 08-12-2003, 05:22 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default Kyosho P51 Mustang CG

I hate to bring back an old post but after searching I still am confused. I see all kinds of different CG listed for this plane ( Kyosho P51 Mustang) and I'm not sure which one to believe.

QUOTE: "For those that bought the Kyosho P51D with the supplemental instructions, the CG says 127mm to 140mm (133mm).

Old posts I have read say they have theirs at 120-125mm but them are older arfs"

I guess the question is this: is the manufacturing of the plane change so the CG also changed or was the early CG of 120-125mm not making the plane fly right so they changed it????

With the 133mm area I'm very nose heavy. I have the OS Max FX.46 with the stock spinner and an APC 11x6 prop. I tried to move the battery to the very far back behind the servos and under the push rods but still nose heavy with the later CG.

What is everyone using and what should I use?????

PS I've Been waiting a long time to fly this so I'm getting itch fingers!

As Always Thanks,

Sheldon
Old 08-15-2003, 01:37 PM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

Default cg

I just got my p-51 some retracts and an O.S. 46fx....I sidemounted the fx and put in the retracts as per intruction and havent got any nosetiping tendancies yet. She flies awsome and looks better yet with the gear up. Oh, my CG is at the120mm mark. Best I could do with adding a couple ounces to the tail and all. I read a post earlier that with fixed gear if you bend them forward a bit, it gets rid of the noseovers. Best of luck.

Luis
Old 02-27-2007, 11:15 AM
VFR700FII

Default RE: Kyosho P-51 Engine mount

Hi there...... I know this thread is very very old. I just wanted to ask you a small question about your COWL. When you cut out your cowl for the Kyosho P51, did you cut out all the bottom half or just enought to slip over the exhaust and then screw it to the fuselage?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho P-51 Engine mount

Cut out most of the bottom half to allow hot air to escape. The air exit area should be 2-3 times larger than the air inlet area. Otherwise, your engine might overheat.