Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 03-15-2007, 04:11 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Rt,
Corsair coming along going to start working the gear doors this weekend,I got a problem with the FLAPS they don't free fall made up a jig and try to find out what the problem is,I might have to redill the trai,ing edge of wing but, we will see.

WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR GAS FOR YOUR CARI just filled up and it reads $2.62 a gallon[:@]

makes you wonder eh,not even anywhere close to summer
George
Corsair Brotherhood # 1
Old 03-15-2007, 07:37 PM
cimara

Did you alls flaps come out slightly thicker than your wing( no more than 1/16 of an inch) .I assume i just sand them to match the profile of the wing Or Did i gouph up some were ?I hate these flaps [:@]
Old 03-15-2007, 08:55 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George
LIke I said the best way to get your flaps to work make sure each flap matches the wing and in the up position it has to be a smoths transition, then the angle that you put the hinges will make a big difference so make a jig to drill thru also be sore the wire is bent just right, or the bisket is angled correctly, its a lot of dinking around so be carfule and Don "t Think its good enough.

Winston

yes so sand to fit profile and make sure you have plenty of radious on the center flap, and don't be afrade of having the hinges below the wing uless you go for the scale hinge.

Good luck to you both.

Cheers bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 03-15-2007, 09:05 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Rt
your reply to to winston, "don't be afraid of having the hinges below the wing"
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BELOW THE WING.
MAN I HATE THESE FLAPS[:@][:@][:@]
Old 03-16-2007, 12:58 AM
splitzed

Wow, I cant believe how big this thread is getting I,ve been very busy the last few months and havent checked in since around page 70 . I figured I would check to see if Bob has maidened his bird yet,But I see your still digging yourself out of the snow, hope its not long now!! I've still been working away I just covered my wing finally after spending the last 3 weeks trying to figure out the best way, I think it turned out pretty good, ive got the fuse done as well, so I should start primer and panel lines very soon here are some pics of my progress.

Cimara, that video of your gear doors in action looks really good, I had the same problems until I flipped the wing and increased the air pressure, My doors dont close too tight though, I still have to work that out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71920.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	643091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13499.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	643092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43522.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	643093  
Old 03-16-2007, 01:01 AM
splitzed

here's a few more

Name:	Sq45821.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	643097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19753.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	643098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38215.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	643099  
Old 03-16-2007, 01:07 AM
splitzed

I am deffinetly going to get one of those 3 bladed solo prop hubs and props that two blade prob & Zenoa stock hub just doesn't do anything for me, does anyone know the price and how to order them? Thanks TJ
Old 03-16-2007, 01:15 AM
SMUGator

Anyone have a good photo of the open vents at the back of the air coolers in the wing?

Tom
Old 03-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

splitzed,

Following is the Solo Props link. They are expensive but worth it. For the price look undr the catalog section or just call them. They can tell you what size of prop is made for your engine. Remeber to ask for the Corsair profile prop when you order, it is available in all finishes and will look great on your bird.

[link=http://www.soloprops.com/]SOLOPROPS[/link]

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 03-16-2007, 02:44 PM
cimara

splitzed thanks for the complament .Idont know if you noticed but i coppied your wing thanks for the idea. How did you cover you ribs i was planing on using coveright fabric and over lapping the edge by an 1/8 inch .You think this will work ?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:50 PM
cimara

Is this what you are looking for ?Here is the likk post 591 by tessex http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...24/key_/tm.htm
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2007, 07:29 PM
rt3232

Hi guys

George on the center flap my flight journal showes the hinges just below the lower surface I dont have any detail on the hinges so when I put my robart points in I droped the pivit to sven with the lower serface and angled the point shafts into the wing and flap at about 5 deg'sand increased the radious quite a lot I worked each flap by it self and then coupled them, it a lot of dinken oround.. on the inbord & outbord I angled the hinges but put the pivot as shown on the plans

Hope this helps

Splitmad
Your bird looks great and I realy like the way you did the fuseI plan that type of skeem next time.

David
Do you know if any one has tried to fly one of these birds with a 62 and the sols prop, one fellow in a club next city over keeps saying they wont let the 62 get the RPM and PWR needed at the same time,?? If solo is at the toledo show I plan on asking some questions.

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 03-17-2007, 02:27 AM
SMUGator

That's perfect, Winston. Thanks for reminding me of the great photos that tessex posted. I'd even downloaded them to my HD but forgot to look there. With a couple of small mods, I think I can replicate that pretty well.

Tom
Old 03-17-2007, 05:36 AM
nchrome

Splitzed have you noticed that on your elevators that you have the trim tabs arms on one a little longer than the other. Is this an error or is that suppose to be. Everything else looks great though. And soon I'm going to get mine back from a buddy that bought mine so soon I'll be back in the saddle again. I should of never sold her but I'm getting her back and plan on using this forum for a lot of ideas and mods to her.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 AM
devens

splitzed,

Could you post a close up of you static trip tab control arm?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:50 PM
splitzed

Nchrome thats the way the trim tabs are on the full scale bird one is longer on each side top and bottom,

I will look to see if I have a close up of those trim tabs

Cimara, to cover the wings I started with covering the open areas with sig koverall using sig stix it and a covering iron to apply, I dont know if you have used this before but the koverall shrinks about 1/4 inch all around so cut it a little big and iron it in place. Then I placed 3/4 oz cloth over the whole wing panel, and covered the open area (with the stuff you use to cover fabric surfaces in preperation to painting sorry I cant remember the name I'm not at home at the moment so i cant check it's called poly something, i'll let you know when i get home) anyway that poly product acts like a glue to join the two layers of fabric together apply it with a brush around the entire open area carefully up to the edge of the open area. Once it dries then you can apply the z-poxy on the rest of the fiberglass area. this seemed to work very well and gave a strong covering over the open area that was still soft so you can feel and see the fabric. Sorry this is hard to describe if you have any questions let me know.
Thanks TJ
Old 03-17-2007, 01:21 PM
splitzed

heres the close ups
Old 03-17-2007, 01:23 PM
splitzed

I'll try again

Name:	Fd90776.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	643959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59745.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	643960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms43045.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	643961  
Old 03-17-2007, 02:35 PM
cimara

splitzed so if i understand. you covered the previoesly covered fabric section with 3/4 ounce fiberglass and used dope to glue the sig coverall to the 3/4 ounce glass .
Old 03-17-2007, 03:33 PM
devens

another question splitzed

Is that Sig Koverall on the elevators and rudder also?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:12 PM
RCPILOT78

OK ..guys took the corsair out today and did some engine starts, and taxi trials....plane handled great on the ground..not ready for maiden just yet...after a lengthy engine and taxi trials I did a complete check of all bolts,screws, and nuts and they were tight....hardly any noticeable vibration at all rpm settings... all control surfaces were still no vibration flutter....landing gear held the air pressure for one hour and I was able to get more than 6 + retracts...no leaks....will keep you posted on further tests..RCpilot78
Old 03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
splitzed

cimara, the product I used is called Polly - Brush made by Polyfiber and yes I applied it onto the fiberglass cloth that was placed over the sig coverall, and it acts like a glue to join the two so they appear as one layer. then you can spray primer on the whole wing including the fabric and then paint over it.

Devens, yes that is the sig coverall on the elevators and rudder

David thanks for the solo prop link I orderes my prop and hub on Friday, they should be here in a couple of weeks, I'll post some pics when it arrives.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Hey guys,

I received a letter today from a teacher friend in CT that told me of an elementary boy's quest to collect a spoonful of dirt from every state in the USA. I know this is a forum for Corsair's but, you have all been so helpful I thought you could help out a little boy. I hope you can help. I just sent him a spoonful of dirt in a Zip-Lock baggie and it all took me less than 5 minutes. If you have the time and are able to help PM me for his address. That way I can keep track of what states he needs and I can keep his information off the internet. Thank you in adance for helping out.

Oh yeah, I put a small piece of paper in the baggie that said what state the dirt was from.

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 PM
cimara

Thanks for the info splitzed sounds like an great plan .You will love the solo prop I bought the 3 blade version with 22 inch blade . Its a little on the heavy side at 15 ounces but its up front were i need weight so why not
Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 AM
rt3232

Winston

One thing about the heavy prop when it is spinning it acts likr s fly wheel and will give you a smother idle and transitions don't wnow if it wiill have any gyro effect, but it will be entersting

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.