Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: dgrantham

Chris,

Go with a good NiCad, or LiFe like the A123.

It's never a good idea to fly a battery you are not 100% confident in.

David
Far be it from me to suggest that A123's are not the definitive solution as that's what I've been using for awhile now...

There are just too many advantages to those batteries to ignore, however there is something of a learning curve associated with using them and changing over right now on amodel Chris has this much work into, may not be the best idea. They would most certainly not have any issues powering his winch servos for the wing fold but the need for a different charger, the fact that they cannot be voltage checked to see if they're up for a flight, theamperagerestrictions associated with the standard servo connections to therx and so on, all need to be addressed.

So Chris, if you're up to doing some research you may want to consider the A123 solution if youhave to go for new packs? The nominal voltage is just a bit over 5 cell NiCD or NiMH due to the extremely flat discharge curve, they can put out 30C continous and burst to 60C, charge in 20 minutes or so, no memory issues, very low self discharge rate and they won't blow up on you like a good quality Li-Po can and those are the only other battery type capabile of the discharge rates of the A123, butLi-Po's also require regulators for most installs.

Just a thought since David brought 'em up.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of batteries I need to run my 124" Corsair with two batteries and really don't know how to set that upso if onefailsthe other continues to produce power to avoid a bad incident. Now that there is a new AMAExperimental Radio Control Aircraft Program Requirements and Inspector Information Guideline book for model aircraft between 55 and 100lbs. If you don't build the model a certain way and meet the requirements an Inspector will ban your plane from flying. Anyway it says as just one of many requirements in this book that I have to have a dual battery system with a minimum of 3000mah each. How do I do it and where can I get a good price on good battery packs that size. Perferably alow maintainence battery pack?

Anyone willing to help?

Barry
Corsair Brotherhood # 4
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Guys, I'm getting ready to balance my Corsair. Wasnt there opinions here regarding moving the cg1/2 inch  forward of the reccomended area? I thought I saved the link, but I couldnt find it....
Old 06-22-2009, 08:32 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Phil

Yep, when I balanced mine I used 5 1/4 and it flies like it is on a rail, no bad habbits

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Barry, You can try Hangtime Hobbies. They supposidly make some of the best packs. They can make any pack you want.
Kelly
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the two packs I got from cheapbatterypacks.com. The site is really easy to use, prices, selection and ability to select what you want is great. I'm happy with them. They seem to be some of the nicer packs I've had.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89096.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1223039  
Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
NCIS

Wulf and Kelly,

Thanks for the leads. I'll check them out. Do you have their websites by any chance?

Barry
Old 06-23-2009, 12:58 PM
tfarmer96

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/

thats where i get my packs from above is the link.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
wingspar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Speaking of batteries I need to run my 124" Corsair with two batteries and really don't know how to set that upso if onefailsthe other continues to produce power "

Here's what you need.....

http://aircraftinternational.com/cat..._box/index.htm

I'll bee using the 40/24.

These units isolate your servos from the reciever. No more worries about a stalled servo causing the receiver to reset due to low voltage. It monitors both packs and if one fails will switch to the stronger pack.

Dave
Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
NCIS

Dave,

There are so many systems. How do I know which system I need?

Barry
Old 06-23-2009, 03:31 PM
wingspar

It's just a matter of preferance. I'm using the $229 unit as I don't need all the bells of whistles of the more expensive units. Thay are also great for driving four servos ...flaps... off of one input. No loading down the receiver.

Dave
Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Barry here is my 2C but I am sure people will dissagree. Warbirds just don't pull that much current. We hardly move our flite surfaces if we fly scale. The only surface that takes some abuse is the flaps when they are really hanging down. If you want back up use two heavy duty switches connected to two batterys. I like using the Hobbico 5 cell 4200ma ones. I always need the weight anyway plus if I go for two day event I don't have to charge. A Smartfly Battshare works well I know of several people using them. Basically you have two batteries each with there own switch. Then from the switch it plugs into the Smartfly Battshare then from there you plug into the reciever. The Battshare will run off both packs untill one gets too low or shorts out. Then it will take that one out of the system so that it doesn't draw the still good battery pack down. It has a light on the Battshare to let you know if something has gone wrong. You just have to have the light somewhere so that you can see it. Most likely somewhere out of the way on a scale bird. It is simple which is the way I like them.

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/BatShare/batshare.htm
Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
cdohaney

Hi guys,

Foir those of you using a G62, what size prop and what RPMs are you getting? I am using a 22x10 and getting around 5200. This seems rather low but before I start tinkering with needles and different props, or possibly having to modify my exhaust, I like some reference as to what I should be aiming for.

Chris
Corsair Brotherhood #38
Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 PM
crashproof

Hey Chris that really seems low. I would think you would atleast get near 7000 rpm with a 22-10. I use Zinger 20-8-14 props with my G62 and get around 6800 to 6900 on the ground. I am using the bennett side dump exhaust. Kevin.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:17 PM
cdohaney

Yeah, I think my custom exhaust is too restrictive. I will try a 22x8 and/or lean out the high speed needle to see what I can push it too, but I think I may need to modify the exhaust....DOH!!!!

Chris
Corsair Brotherhood #38

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26474.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1224114  
Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Chris, I'm a G-62 owner also, and those are low numbers. Also I believe the exhaust is your problem. There are two many 90 deg. turns, and to small of pipe. Most scale exhaust will be restrictive though. ( nature of the beast)[]
An engine is basicly an aircompressor. The faster you can move the air out, the better.

Kelly
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Barry...I recommend 2 receivers on your 124 inch Corsair with 2 batts per Rx with some sort of isolator running a separate battery.

Jeff
Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 AM
wingspar

Isn't using the 2.4 GHZ new radio really two internal receivers already? Or am I wrong. And then coupled with a powerbox achieves duel batteries that are isolated from each other for a failsafe. It further protects the receiver from servo voltage fluctuation and possible low volatge rest.

Dave
Old 06-25-2009, 02:02 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

I just prefer the redundancy of 2 receivers in case a set of batts/Rx or etc. fails, I still have 1/2 control of the plane then.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:56 PM
NCIS

Jeff and All,

I haven't decided on the radio yet but it will be 2.4 mgh. So it will already have two receivers and I was going to run dual batteries on each one with the BatShare System and they will be 6.0V 4200mah. I only know what I've been told and read on their website but it seems failsafe to me. Any advice on which system is best and how to install it?

Barry
Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM
warks62

You can't run two seperate main recievers on 2.4 at least not on JR. Not sure about Futaba's 2.4 but you can only bind one reciever at a time on the Transmitter. You can run 2 recievers on FM. If you run JR 2.4 they make recievers for high power drain if neccessary. In fact it has 2 battery inputs on the reciever. Is a powerbox really neccessary on a Warbird even at 120" or so? Being that I fly with friends that all have very large Warbirds in the neighborhood of 70-80# and they are not using a powerbox and never have had a problem I will go with what I see. I really think that the Jet and especially 3D technology have come into the Warbird area and is just way to over kill. At the speeds Jets go and the amount of deflection that the 3D put on their surfaces and the fact that they use very high amperage servos I see them using such a device but on a Warbird that only moves a surface a 1/4" at most for most maneuvers the torque on the servo just isn't there. I use to have a program that you would put all the data from your airplane like wingspan, weight, max speed, the square inches of each flight surface and then it would gice you an approximate idea on how many inches of torque was needed and I was amazed at the low numbers. Just saying this because money well spent is great but wasting it on more devices that in themselves can fail just doesn't make sense to me. I was told a long time a go by many buiders keep it simple.

Not trying to argue or be difficult just point another side. By the way I use a 2.4 system and will never go back. I feel so much better when I go to meets and no longer worry about someone turning on a transmitter. I didn't worry about the other pilots so much because we all do a pretty good job but there are always people trying to sell equipment and would see many times when someone was selling a transmitter that the first thing someone would do when they picked it up was turn it on. Some sellers were smart enough to remove the module some were not. Just something to think about.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: warks62

You can't run two seperate main recievers on 2.4 at least not on JR.
This is incorrect information....

You can bind as many Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz rx's to one model slot on a tx as you would like. Not sure where you got this idea that only one rx can be bound at a time?

As for PowerSafe rx's vs. the standard say R921's, both rx's have the same electrical buss capable of 35 amps continous and burst to 50 amps, but the PowerSafe rx's do have the dual 16g. inputs with built in "fail on" softswitches and battery isolation which is not found on the standard rx's.

While some may consider the AR-9000/R921 rx's as having "dual" receivers, that's not really the same as running dual rx's which is typically done for power distribution (not usually an issue with Warbirds), getting more servo slots or for system redundancy as noted above. The only thing that keeps the PowerSafe rx's from completely replacing PE's right now is the limited number of servo slots per channel which is offered by a PE and that's why you still see some sort of power distribution setup on the 40% size aerobats which tend to run 3 servos per aileron, 2 servos per elevator and so on. But they work great for 35% size stuff and smaller models.

The AR-9000/R921 as well as the R1221 rx's actually do have two rx's inside the main unit with the 9 channel rx's capable of running two additional satellite rx's while the R-1221 can run three additional satellites. The PowerSafe rx's have no receivers inside the main unit and can run four satellite rx's.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:24 PM
warks62

Zeeb, I will have to try it. I can say that I never actually tried to bind more than reciever to a single slot but I had called JR asking about it and they said that due to Model Lock that it could not be done right now. Being he said "not right now" I asked does that mean in the near future it will be an option and he only said he did not know. If it can be done that is great I had done this before on FM just for in case a reciever would go bad you could still make it in on one sharing flight surfaces (one aileron on one reciever and the other aileron on the other reciever). Have you actually bound two recievers on one model slot if so do you have to do both at the exact same time just courious.

Thanks,
Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Zeeb

Randy,

Yeah I've bound multiple rx's to the same memory slot on a tx. You can do 'em one at a time or most guys are just doing both at the same time, just make sure all the lights on all the rx's (including all satellites) are lit solid before you shut down the binding process.

The guy who introduced me to the Spektrum radios when they first came out with the DX-7 is one of the Team-Horizon (used to be called Team JR) guys. I went up to his place and we played around with 'em quite a bit, actually bound three rx's to the same tx memory slot and they all worked. He even put 'em in a trainer he keeps around just to see if it'd work and it was fine, three rx's running different controls and you'd have never known the difference to fly the thing.

Basically what happens is that each native tx or module has it's own GUID (computer speak = Global Universal Identifier) and this code is transmitted with each data packet. Then the native tx has another number for each memory slot, so when you bind an rx it writes the tx's GUID along with the model slot ID to the rx's flash memory. Then the rx will only "listen" to data packets which have the appropriate GUID number attached to them, that's how the ModelMatch function works. Now on the module based systems other than the 12X MV, there is no ModelMatch so any rx bound to that module equipted tx will respond no matter what model is selected on the tx.

Sounds like maybe you ran into a newbie guy at the support center who wasn't up to speed on things?????

edit info:

Hmmm....

Right now I can't swear to you that my description of the acronym for the GUID is exactly correct, might be unique for the "U" but it really doesn't matter I guess... lol

Point is, you can see how it would be possible to bind more than one rx to the same slot. I think Futaba FASST systems are like the Spektrum/JR module conversions, they'll run any rx once setup if it's on and the only difference would be that Futaba uses a different protocol between the 7 channel and below rx's and the 8 channel and above are different and require that those be accounted for when setting up the model on a tx. On a side note, Bax over on the Futaba support forum has indicated that the big 14 channel 6014 FASST rx's can only handle 8 amps and Futaba has an input voltage restriction as well, nothing like the Spektrum/JR stuff which is just under 10 volts, 9.8 IIRC?????
Old 06-25-2009, 09:00 PM
tfarmer96

For you guys who are interested. Gary has started producing fiberglass part for the Giant Topflite F4U. These will allow you to create light and strong main and rear gear doors as well as 2 switch hatches. They are available at the following link

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/products/products.htm

Click on the photo of the parts for a larger image of the parts. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or click on the "contact us" link on my website

Thanks!

Terry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.