Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: smkrcflyer

Is there a design problem with the horizontal stab?
I had a flutter problem, I believe that's what caused my issue. I don't think there's a design problem in that area, not too many others have had this problem. I would just be sure there's plenty of epoxy in the area when you join the stab to the fuse. I'm also going to be sure there almost no gap between the stab and elevators, no slop in the pushrods...etc. She's fast, and I like her that way!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98448.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	1678652  
Old 11-16-2011, 10:27 PM
kiwiphil126

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys and girls
new member here from Brisbane Australia
have been building a TF F4U for the last 3 years off and on
still miles to go now having found this site a great many questions have been solved
cheers Phil

Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey guys, I tried so hard to make it through the entire thread before I replied but I finally caved (I am on page 309 though, I'm so close).

Last week I picked up a kit that had already been started. The quality of the build is great, I've just been taking my time figuring out what I'm missing and where to start. Right now I have the aileron cores and leading edges, the flap leading edges, and all of the parts to build the rudder on order. Everything else appears to be there, or things I can make on my own. This will be my first attempt at making fiberglass parts, mounting gear doors, laying panel lines, marking out rivets, and painting a plane other than with rattle cans of Rustoleum (the Decathlon in my avatar). It's about my 20th kit build though, so I've been around that block before. Now, here's the questions I have for you guys (so far, more to come I'm sure):

1. The original builder already ran the steel pushrods to the tail, but the bottom of the fuselage has not been sheeted so I have access to them. My intent is to pull them out and replace with carbon fiber rods, but how did you guys route them? I know they don't need to run through a tube or need any support, but did you still run them through holes cut in formers in the places the plans called for? In other words, are the carbon rods rubbing against wood anywhere or do the formers need to be cut more to allow them a clear path to the tail without touching anything?

2. The top of the wing is already fully sheeted, and the bottom is sheeting from the tips in to about the wheel well area. But I don't thing the wing tip profile is quite right. I'm not going for any competitions, but I think the scale tip profile from head on just plain looks better. Is it a bad idea to pull off the sheeting for the last 2-3 rib bays and chop off the balsa tip block to re-shape that?

3. Will I be able to build the ailerons, flaps, and rudder without any plans? The plans didn't come with the kit, and I didn't feel like dropping 50 bucks for a set. I think I can manage okay without though. On the same subject, I don't have any forstner bits for cutting lightening holes in the ailerons and rudder and I don't plan to buy a whole set of them, is there a size in particular you guys would suggest? I could figure this out when I get home I think just based on the height of the fin and counting the number of ribs from the instruction book.

4. I'm planning on using a G-62 and have used a B&B bell/cup mount in the past on a G-38. Unfortunately, it appears Mr. Bennett passed away just 2 months ago and as such his parts are no longer available. What other mount method do people typically use on a G-62? The steel plate with standoffs?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Auburn02

Well, skip the question on the forstner bits. Amazon.com has an 8 piece set for 50 bucks, so I went to Lowes to see about just buying one or two bits at 7-8 bucks a piece. I bought the exact same 8 piece set at Lowes for 20 dollars. Usually Amazon is the king of better prices, not so much this time.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cobra99

Hey guys, I tried so hard to make it through the entire thread before I replied but I finally caved (I am on page 309 though, I'm so close).

Last week I picked up a kit that had already been started. The quality of the build is great, I've just been taking my time figuring out what I'm missing and where to start. Right now I have the aileron cores and leading edges, the flap leading edges, and all of the parts to build the rudder on order. Everything else appears to be there, or things I can make on my own. This will be my first attempt at making fiberglass parts, mounting gear doors, laying panel lines, marking out rivets, and painting a plane other than with rattle cans of Rustoleum (the Decathlon in my avatar). It's about my 20th kit build though, so I've been around that block before. Now, here's the questions I have for you guys (so far, more to come I'm sure):

1. The original builder already ran the steel pushrods to the tail, but the bottom of the fuselage has not been sheeted so I have access to them. My intent is to pull them out and replace with carbon fiber rods, but how did you guys route them? I know they don't need to run through a tube or need any support, but did you still run them through holes cut in formers in the places the plans called for? In other words, are the carbon rods rubbing against wood anywhere or do the formers need to be cut more to allow them a clear path to the tail without touching anything?

2. The top of the wing is already fully sheeted, and the bottom is sheeting from the tips in to about the wheel well area. But I don't thing the wing tip profile is quite right. I'm not going for any competitions, but I think the scale tip profile from head on just plain looks better. Is it a bad idea to pull off the sheeting for the last 2-3 rib bays and chop off the balsa tip block to re-shape that?

3. Will I be able to build the ailerons, flaps, and rudder without any plans? The plans didn't come with the kit, and I didn't feel like dropping 50 bucks for a set. I think I can manage okay without though. On the same subject, I don't have any forstner bits for cutting lightening holes in the ailerons and rudder and I don't plan to buy a whole set of them, is there a size in particular you guys would suggest? I could figure this out when I get home I think just based on the height of the fin and counting the number of ribs from the instruction book.

4. I'm planning on using a G-62 and have used a B&B bell/cup mount in the past on a G-38. Unfortunately, it appears Mr. Bennett passed away just 2 months ago and as such his parts are no longer available. What other mount method do people typically use on a G-62? The steel plate with standoffs?
Check here for a B&B mount..............http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...s/bb-6202.html

jc
Old 11-17-2011, 03:21 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Phil (kiwi that is)

Good luck with you build, and don't be afraid to ask questionsthere are a lot of us out hear to help and add pic's

Only got to fly mine twice this season.

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 PM
rt3232

Hi Cobra

May have a spair set of plans as I built 2 of thes birds, shoot me a PM with an addie will set them on my next days off.

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Auburn02

Wow, thanks Bob! Sent you a PM.

Here are a few quick cell phone pictures. As I mentioned the work done on the plane so far is good and straight, but I really think I want to hack off those wingtips blocks, cut off the bottom sheeting and reshape the tips. It almost looks like the sheeting has been redone once already, if you notice the bottom sheeting starts a new section right around that 2nd to last rib bay and slopes up slightly from there, but not quite enough for the scale profile.

Name:	Sq45862.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	1688116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32816.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	1688117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76913.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	1688118  
Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 AM
rt3232

Cobra

On the taper I started mine just inboard of that rib as I put in a half rib (lower surface) for the splice. if do the taper be sure to change the leading edge and training spar, you may hace to change the end blocka if you go for the rounder tip shape.
You might want to look at Corsairjocks sketches in his thread I think it was called T/F 60 size Corsair bash. If you can't find it let me know will get my old note down and see if I have in that box

Cheers Bob T

Got the pm and will see about the plans at the same time
Old 11-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Auburn02

I remember seeing those pics, but I guess I didn't realize there were changes needed to the leading edge as well. Either way I don't think it would be all that difficult, probably an hour or two of work. The end blocks would have to be completely replaced, there's no way to get the flat upper wing surface all the way to the tip with them as they are now.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Comin' along nicely...

Name:	Vt57913.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1692767  
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM
craigcrumpler
My Feedback: (20)

trying to finish the wing but i have a problem understanding item 5 on page 18 of the instruction manual. is there a part "wing spacer" or am i seeing something thats not there (which i do often). if someone can help would you please call me at 910 340 9291. craig #67 
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

Take a look at this !!!!!!!!
http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0704.html
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Now that's just not fair! Might make me less afeared of losing mine though - to know an ARF replacement is available.....
Old 12-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is nice. so is there anthing left in the Top Flite stable of airplanes to arf out?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 AM
frisconick

This just might put me back in the big Corsair business !!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Buckmeister

Just another reason for me to get back to finishing my "started" kit.
I can make it different from the ARF of this brand as well as others.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 AM
frisconick

But I don't see it on Tower's web site yet. Anyone know anything about availability/price?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM
frisconick

And now it's not on TopFlite's site any more????
Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

and the thread that was here that someone started about it is now gone.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Auburn02

ORIGINAL: frisconick

Did someone in the web department let that one slip a little too early? [X(]
Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 AM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

ORIGINAL: Cobra99

ORIGINAL: frisconick

Did someone in the web department let that one slip a little too early? [X(]

I think so!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

I guess it must be coming soon?

It looks like it will be about May 2012 due to technical difficulties . . .

Name:	Fd93003.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	1696135  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ol31612.pdf (231.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Jeremy_D

Yep thread has been wiped, I posted a reply in it, can see it in my search but it now directs to the contaminated section with ACCESS DENIED!! Someone really wants it gone!!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

This is really funny. I cant remember the guys name that started the thread yesturday, but he just mentioned he saw it. I went to the TopFlite site and it popped up as one of their rotating banner adds. So I linked it in the other thread to my post and then also posted it here. Wander how many email request and or phone calls they got about it today.

I have a friend who is a moderator, I will see if he can shed some light on what the fuss is all about.

I really like my kit built Corsair and it has served me well but I will absoutley have to have the ARF when and if it comes out

Name:	Ay75834.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1696159  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.